Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

CheesyDog posted:

In Tennessee news, Governor Haslam continues to push outsourcing of facilities management for all state properties, despite the numbers clearly not adding up:

This follows outsourcing of custodial services at all state campuses a few years ago, and is rumored to be leading towards outsourcing of all secretarial and clerical positions in state government.

Meanwhile he also plans to split the state university system, which led to the resignation of the Chancellor and an open letter of protest regarding the plan.

He sleeping with a higher up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I'm just glad the FBI is dropping the hammer on Bundy after two years. Long overdue.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
Meanwhile in other Republican Ran States:

WV playing catch up and now introducing an odious Voter ID Law: http://www.wvgazettemail.com/news/20160210/wv-house-advances-voter-id-bill-on-party-line-vote

Also all three Dem Candidates for Governor have came out against a proposed cut in the coal severance tax, including Billionaire coal magnate Jim Justice who released the following statement:

Jim Justice posted:

]
“Let’s be honest, a further cut in the coal severance tax will not reopen one coal mine or put one miner back to work. Even though these cuts would mean more money in my pocket at my coal operations, it’s irresponsible at this time to do anything that will choke off support for fixing our crumbling roads and schools across West Virginia. It’s not the answer to creating jobs. I’ve been in the coal business all my life, and I am completely committed to the future of coal and putting all our miners back to work. At a time when everyone is shutting down coal operations; recently I have reopened two major mining complexes and put over 250 miners back on the job.”

The Religious Freedom Restoration Act has also passed the Senate and is headed for a veto.

No word on when they're going to bother fix the state budget though!

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Budgets don't matter when there's gays, women, and minorities to bash.

Or people to bomb.

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

vorebane posted:

So midnight thought, you're not going to get around America's hard work fetish. But maybe 'America you're not getting what you deserve for your hard work' could have traction especially backed up by easily digestible facts like, iirc, comparing increases in production to the increasing lack of compensation to the middle and lower class, and the old chestnut about the disparity between what Americans think the division of wealth in America is and what it actually is and further the downright commie division of wealth Americans think America should have.

This is exactly what is happening, economic populism is being constantly mentioned by both sides. Just a couple days ago in his day before NH speech Trump guaranteed free health care for anyone who couldn't afford it and got a massive crowd of republicans to cheer for it, could you imagine that happening 10 years ago? Pretty much every major candidate in the race has made some mention of how americans are working harder and not getting enough for it.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

TROIKA CURES GREEK posted:

This is exactly what is happening, economic populism is being constantly mentioned by both sides. Just a couple days ago in his day before NH speech Trump guaranteed free health care for anyone who couldn't afford it and got a massive crowd of republicans to cheer for it, could you imagine that happening 10 years ago? Pretty much every major candidate in the race has made some mention of how americans are working harder and not getting enough for it.

I alluded to this earlier: Trump is doing it via vicious nationalism. That's very very bad.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I'm glad I was wrong about the Justice Department and Ferguson. :unsmith:

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

DemeaninDemon posted:

I alluded to this earlier: Trump is doing it via vicious nationalism. That's very very bad.

it is in fact the same way another angry, loud mouthed man did it about 80 years ago!

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Is Jeb!'s stance still "we need to work more!" or was that Walker?

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

axeil posted:

it is in fact the same way another angry, loud mouthed man did it about 80 years ago!

Isn't even hyperbole. Trumps even doing a few things wrong!

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Just a couple days ago in his day before NH speech Trump guaranteed free health care for anyone who couldn't afford it and got a massive crowd of republicans to cheer for it, could you imagine that happening 10 years ago?

I couldn't imagine it happening four years ago, what with the Tea Party/GOP's anti-ObamaCare stuff turning into the "just let him die" rhetoric.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

axeil posted:

I believe so yes. Or at least I haven't heard anything about it.

edit: Also the Model 3 will have all the self driving capabilities of the current models.

As for Uber, their entire plan is to eventually not have actual drivers, the same way Netflix's actual business plan was to eventually not have actual DVDs. They treat their drivers so lovely because in their minds the drivers are a temporary expense; in 2-3 years they want to not have drivers at all. With the NHSTA telling Google they're okay to have an API registered as the legal driver of a car, this means that the path is clear for us to have fully autonomous taxis. Combined with Tesla's electric car we might finally have a way for us to get a good transportation plan without needing trillions of dollars in investment to put up subway lines everywhere.

If all cars are self-driving and electric, you wouldn't even necessarily need to have your own car anymore. Just hail a self-driving car, tell it where you want to go and you're off. It'd reduce congestion a ton and be much cheaper for the end-user overall.

A Good System IMO.

I can think of about a million problems with this system.

Frankly, this reads like one of those "the singularity will save the world" fever dreams that white, middle-class nerds like to rave about.

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

axeil posted:

If all cars are self-driving and electric, you wouldn't even necessarily need to have your own car anymore. Just hail a self-driving car, tell it where you want to go and you're off. It'd reduce congestion a ton and be much cheaper for the end-user overall.

A Good System IMO.

Finally the future of Johnnycab is becoming real

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Litany Unheard posted:

I can think of about a million problems with this system.

Frankly, this reads like one of those "the singularity will save the world" fever dreams that white, middle-class nerds like to rave about.
I figured the future will be a mix of manual, self-driving, gasoline and electric vehicles all inter-operating with each other.

edit: when I was a kid I dreamed of societal stuff all changing at once and not being an constant patchwork of old and new, but then I grew up.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Feb 11, 2016

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Self-driving cars will start moving right when the light turns green instead of staring at their phone for 5-10 seconds so I figure cumulatively that alone will solve most of our problems as a nation.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

We're going to have to figure out what to do about the millions of jobs that selfdriving cars would obviate, which also goes towards the earlier conversation about how our work culture requires everyone to have full time employment. Eventually we're just going to have to admit that we don't have enough jobs to justify total full time employment and go to a 20 hour workweek or something.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

zoux posted:

We're going to have to figure out what to do about the millions of jobs that selfdriving cars would obviate, which also goes towards the earlier conversation about how our work culture requires everyone to have full time employment. Eventually we're just going to have to admit that we don't have enough jobs to justify total full time employment and go to a 20 hour workweek or something.

That only works if you have a strong enough social net for people who work 20/hr a week to live comfortably.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

That only works if you have a strong enough social net for people who work 20/hr a week to live comfortably.

Oh it would take a top to bottom transformation of our entire culture, but at some point we're going to have to recognize that it isn't 1950 any more.

Also the media really is trying to resurrect the candidacy of Jeb Bush.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

zoux posted:

Oh it would take a top to bottom transformation of our entire culture, but at some point we're going to have to recognize that it isn't 1950 any more.

Well, you see, if we just close our borders and cancel all the trade agreements and,

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Here's Marco Rubio doing his best to combat the Robio meme.

Guy Montag
Jun 24, 2005

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

The Religious Freedom Restoration Act has also passed the Senate and is headed for a veto.

No word on when they're going to bother fix the state budget though!

Our glorious assembly of republican assholes has not yet passed the RFRA bill out of either chamber. It is up for a full house vote today, though, and is likely to pass. Any amendments offered to blunt it were shot down with incredibly facile reasoning yesterday.

quote:

http://www.wvgazettemail.com/news/20160210/religious-freedom-bill-advances-to-vote-on-thursday
Wednesday, February 10, 2016
“Religious freedom” bill advances to vote on Thursday

controversial bill that proponents say will restore religious freedom but opponents say will weaken local nondiscrimination ordinances is up for a vote in the House of Delegates on Thursday.

The West Virginia Religious Freedom Restoration Act, which opponents are calling the “License to Discriminate” Act, was on second reading in the House of Delegates Wednesday.

Three amendments, offered by Democrats, failed. One amendment, offered by Delegate John Shott, R-Mercer, passed. It would limit the amount that could be paid to those who would file lawsuits as a result of the legislation.

House Bill 4012 establishes a legal process for courts to follow when determining whether a person’s religious beliefs have been violated. Because the bill allows people and businesses to argue in court that local nondiscrimination ordinances, among other laws, shouldn’t apply to them, civil rights advocates warn the bill could lead to discrimination against LGBT individuals, as well as other historically discriminated against groups.

Shott’s amendment removed language that would have allowed claimants to sue for compensatory damages, and limited relief to injunctive or declaratory relief and reimbursement of costs and reasonable attorney fees. It passed on a voice vote.

Another amendment resulted in a debate, with Republicans opposing more power for local governments -- an argument that Delegate Isaac Sponaugle, D- Pendleton, called hypocritical.

The amendment would have removed “and local” from the section of the bill that states “this article applies to all state and local laws,” in an effort to protect the seven cities and towns in West Virginia with nondiscrimination ordinances that extend to the LGBT community from lawsuits.

Sponaugle said that many in the Legislature “beat their desks” and say “darn that federal government.”

“Well, we come down here and act like hypocrites,” he said. “We look down our nose at these municipalities... Let’s try to be consistent in our opposition to things.”

The amendment was rejected.

Another amendment, as Delegate Stephen Skinner, D- Jefferson, explained, would have specified that the bill would not allow for discrimination in housing, employment and public accommodations based on sexual orientation or gender identity.

Speaker of the House Tim Armstead, R-Kanawha, stated that no part of the bill mentions sexual orientation or gender identity and ruled the amendment not germane. He said he could not rule the amendment was germane just because someone might try to “stretch” the bill to discriminate at a later time. He said the bill simply sets up a legal process for determining in court whether a person’s religious beliefs are being violated.

“Those that want to stretch it will try to stretch it,” he said. “It is a very simple bill.”

Last week, Delegate Rupie Phillips, D- Logan, said that support for RFRA stemmed from opposition to same-sex marriage. And in an interview about the bill with CBN News published Tuesday, House Majority Whip John O’Neal said the free exercise of religion “has been severely curtailed in recent years with the growth of gay rights and mandated contraception coverage under Obamacare, among other things.”

Armstead’s decision was appealed, but sustained by the majority of the body.

Delegate Mike Pushkin, D- Kanawha, offered an amendment that would have required businesses to post signs warning customers that they will refuse service based on religious beliefs. Armstead ruled it not germane to the bill.

Basically anything that blunted the intended effect of the bill was shot down as unrelated. Absolute bullshit and they know it. God help us once this passes both chambers all we have is Gov. Tomblin and a thin hope there isn't enough support to override his veto (hint: there probably is).

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Guy Montag posted:

Our glorious assembly of republican assholes has not yet passed the RFRA bill out of either chamber. It is up for a full house vote today, though, and is likely to pass. Any amendments offered to blunt it were shot down with incredibly facile reasoning yesterday.

Basically anything that blunted the intended effect of the bill was shot down as unrelated. Absolute bullshit and they know it. God help us once this passes both chambers all we have is Gov. Tomblin and a thin hope there isn't enough support to override his veto (hint: there probably is).

Oh I thought it had gone through yesterday.

It's incredibly disheartening.

Guy Montag
Jun 24, 2005

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Oh I thought it had gone through yesterday.

It's incredibly disheartening.

Our new republican overlords are making up for lost time this session for sure. RFRA, right to work, common core repeal, 2nd trimester abortion ban, tax cuts, they've got it all in process one way or another.

e: If you can get down to the Capitol and get a meeting with your Delegates/Senators and let them know what you think, it can make a difference. Seemed to help when I did it last year. I can't make it down this session or I would be there pounding on the door of my Delegate who is one of the looniest.

Guy Montag fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Feb 11, 2016

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Guy Montag posted:

Our new republican overlords are making up for lost time this session for sure. RFRA, right to work, common core repeal, 2nd trimester abortion ban, tax cuts, they've got it all in process one way or another.

They tried most of those last year too, but yeah feels like they're making more progress this time around.

Pleased my cousin (who is a senator) is at least on the correct side of all of these issues.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Georgia has a slew of 'religious freedom' bills like that on the docket this session of the state legislature as well. Key point seems to be that you can refuse to serve/sell goods to people if they're same-sex.

quote:

House Bill 756 would allow business owners to cite religious beliefs in refusing goods or services for a “matrimonial ceremony” — a blunt assessment of conservatives’ outrage after the U.S. Supreme Court ruled in June state prohibitions on same-sex marriage to be unconstitutional.

Still waiting on the upcoming bill that disallows divorced Catholics from shopping at the Gap if the general manager is devout.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Jagchosis posted:

Cliven Bundy got picked up by the FBI after deplaning in Oregon. :lol:

So what you are telling me is he is occupying a new federal building: a jail cell

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

zoux posted:

Sorry rubio, presidents need at least 99.5% efficiency and you're at 99.375.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

In an depressing article about the US inability to protect young children of abuse, this jumped out at me.

quote:

In 1971, Congress considered the Comprehensive Child Development Act, a last piece of Great Society legislation, an entitlement program providing for universal preschool education (referred to, during congressional debate, as “developmental day care”), with tuition scaled to a family’s ability to pay. The bill’s lead sponsor was Walter Mondale, a senator with Presidential aspirations who was the chair of the Subcommittee on Children and Youth and who had drafted childcare legislation as early as 1961. Supporters of the Child Development Act cast childcare as a civil-rights measure. Not since the 1964 Civil Rights Act had a bill been subject to more intense lobbying. The bipartisan vote in the Senate was an overwhelming 63–17; the victory in the House was razor-thin, 186–183. In December, 1971, Nixon, who was running for reëlection on the back of a strategy that involved an appeal to conservatives, vetoed the bill. Pat Buchanan drafted Nixon’s veto message, in which Nixon said that “for the Federal Government to plunge headlong financially into supporting child development would commit the vast moral authority of the National Government to the side of communal approaches to child rearing.”

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2016/02/01/baby-doe

You can never tell people who think Nixon was liberal to gently caress off enouigh.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

DemeaninDemon posted:

Sorry rubio, presidents need at least 99.5% efficiency and you're at 99.375.

It's easier but thems the breaks when you campaign via scantron.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Guy Montag posted:

e: If you can get down to the Capitol and get a meeting with your Delegates/Senators and let them know what you think, it can make a difference. Seemed to help when I did it last year. I can't make it down this session or I would be there pounding on the door of my Delegate who is one of the looniest.

I had like a 30 email exchange last year with lead sponsor of the education reform bill, which was actually pretty civil.

I think it helps that my last name is one that they have actually heard of.

I live in Mon County so the persuadable ones are already against them, and my home county's Delegate and Senator (my cousin) are against all this poo poo too. If I get a chance this weekend though, gonna write a Letter to the Editor to send out.

Guy Montag
Jun 24, 2005

e: ^^^^^Keep up the good fight. 2016 election can't come soon enough.

zoux posted:

:mitt: 2.0

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Guy Montag posted:

e: ^^^^^Keep up the good fight. 2016 election can't come soon enough.

There was much hooting and hollering among people I know when Joe Statler, who was BoE President for years, sponsored a charter school bill that talked about how we have failed our children.

And I don't know why Pasdon resigned, but I can't say I am sad about it. Hope we can get those seats back.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Can someone explain to me what the hell superdelegates are and why Hillary's apparently got more of them or something despite losing New Hampshire?

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

Just replace the cell phone with a water bottle and we're good to go

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

zoux posted:

AP reporting today that the Rubio path for the nomination is probably a brokered convention.

That's per the campaign manager.

http://bigstory.ap.org/urn:publicid:ap.org:41b348ce4b6c4841a95a4aefdc2ca9f3

:getin:

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Coohoolin posted:

Can someone explain to me what the hell superdelegates are and why Hillary's apparently got more of them or something despite losing New Hampshire?

In the Dem Primary process, they are essentially elected dem officials, state office holders, and state party officials. As Hillary has virtually the entire Democratic party endorsing her, she has them "soft" locked. They are free to choose who to vote for and are not bound. There is virtually no way that the DNC would let super delegates decide the primary.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Fried Chicken posted:

AP reporting today that the Rubio path for the nomination is probably a brokered convention.

I have never seen goalposts moved faster. What happened to 3, 2, 1?

Coohoolin posted:

They are basically sitting congresspeople and party muckety mucks. They get extra votes in order to do exactly what they are doing now, protect the establishment candidate from an upstart challenger.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Coohoolin posted:

Well, Wikipedia does a good job.

Basically they're 'unbound' convention delegates, usually current or former party bigwigs, who can throw their support to a candidate of their choosing.Normal convention delegates must vote the way of their state primary (or partially depending on the state etc).

Basically the superdelegates are a way of weighing the primaries in favour of 'establishment' candidates. Hence Clinton.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Fried Chicken posted:

Translation: PLEASE MAKE KASICH AND BUSH GO AWAY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

RevKrule posted:

Democrats may get an easy pickup in the Senate in a seat that seemed otherwise secure.
http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/news-columns-blogs/the-buzz/article59529686.html

I can almost guarantee this will not be a significant issue. Deferments as being anything important died with Dan Rather, if not Clinton a decade before.

• Locked thread