Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Oh dear, if this is your first playthrough you have no idea how much of a disappointment you're in for. :allears:.

Sorry I was unclear in that post but it's not my first playthrough of the game. I was literally saying that the game would be a lot better if it sped up the pacing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Sir Unimaginative posted:

This game wants to be the Japanese Mass Effect so bad.
My name is Edge Maverick and this is my favorite exploding planet in the solar system.

I think we're gonna see a lot more open world games in the future.

HGH fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Feb 11, 2016

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
The best part of Star Ocean 3 was when, during what was supposed to be a dramatic boss battle, Japanese rap replaced the normally booming orchestral boss music and was horribly ridiculous. The track was used like twice in the whole game and was never appropriate.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

well, you're fighting a black guy

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
It could be worse.
SO5 OST as composed by Sawano.

WE'RE STUCK ON A DIFFERENT PLAAAANET

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You mean better

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

GulagDolls posted:

well, you're fighting a black guy

I was actually talking about the first time you hear it, when you're on top of some building on ye olde medieval world and your dad has just been attacked by the aliens whose names start with a v. This was pre-black 4D guy, and so wildly inappropriate I remember laughing so hard it hurt.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Golden Goat posted:

Sorry I was unclear in that post but it's not my first playthrough of the game. I was literally saying that the game would be a lot better if it sped up the pacing.

That's a massive understatement. I think on initial playthroughs I spent 10 hours on SO1, 20 hours on SO2, and 90 on SO3.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sir Unimaginative posted:

This game wants to be the Japanese Mass Effect so bad.

To be fair, that's how the ships have looked since at least Star Ocean 3 (haven't played the first two). Now, the Calnus in SO4? That is trying to be the Normandy.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

voltcatfish posted:

I like the star ocean games but I also loving hate them because they all promise an intergalactic space adventure that never gets off the ground. You end up crashing on some under-developed planet and then it's a typical jrpg.

I almost shudder to ask but have you played SO4? You have your spaceship all game and go to many different places.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

NikkolasKing posted:

I almost shudder to ask but have you played SO4? You have your spaceship all game and go to many different places.

Please don't encourage innocent people to expose themselves to SO4 :ohdear:.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Verranicus posted:

I was actually talking about the first time you hear it, when you're on top of some building on ye olde medieval world and your dad has just been attacked by the aliens whose names start with a v. This was pre-black 4D guy, and so wildly inappropriate I remember laughing so hard it hurt.

For reference:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CugyaQzmx8

The weirdest thing about this song is that the rap is apparently part of some audio sample library, because it appears in at least one completely unrelated game.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

For reference:

The weirdest thing about this song is that the rap is apparently part of some audio sample library, because it appears in at least one completely unrelated game.

WAIT A SECOND

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AW1rgaxsjfo

(2:20)

i honestly hope this really is pulling from the same pool as hideki naganuma because oh my god that would be beautiful

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Feb 11, 2016

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

For reference:

Also it either literally is or steals the lyrics from the Space Jam song ("work that body work that body make sure you don't hurt nobody")

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I always thought that sounded like something I heard before but never put any detective work into it.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Golden Goat posted:

I have already murdered the poo poo outta the first crystal set on chapter 5. Turns out doing 9999x9 damage murders the gently caress outta everything.

I suppose I should have a tank with me though.
Yeah, Chapter 5 and 6 don't offer too much in the way of an issue to that.

But oh, my, yes, please do the sidequests in 7 and 8. That's when the game really opens a can of :getin:

Forest Thief Pud
Dec 26, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

They're still mostly planets with medieval levels of technology, with one of them being a giant throwback to SO1. You also end up crash landing onto most of your destinations as well, and the ones you don't generally have some stupid plot contrivance as to why you can't actually leave. Also, because you're planet-hopping, you never get that great a feel of any of the areas you visit outside of maybe the one that exists to be fan-service. I'd rather be stuck on a single planet than do the SO4 approach.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
What the heck, that rap is the Persona 3 dorm room theme too. Yeesh, that's a lot of mileage for something old.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

mycot posted:

Also it either literally is or steals the lyrics from the Space Jam song ("work that body work that body make sure you don't hurt nobody")

I didn't realize that Quad City DJs vs JRPGs had such a rich history

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Here's 20 minutes of modern Chrono Trigger style game. Game's out next week in Japan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Knk8HkX7Anc

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

drat, an actual world map.

...It's been so long.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Tae posted:

Here's 20 minutes of modern Chrono Trigger style game. Game's out next week in Japan

Looks fairly fun in an old school JRPG way. Hoping it turns out good.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Just catching up on this thread, I actually laughed at the sequence of posts where the guy who hadn't played Xenogears had to correct everyone and say it was actually a bad game because he read an LP

on a sort of related note I'm playing Xenoblade for the first time and it is extremely cool. Although what the gently caress is this skill tree? I can't make any sense of it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Paperhouse posted:

Just catching up on this thread, I actually laughed at the sequence of posts where the guy who hadn't played Xenogears had to correct everyone and say it was actually a bad game because he read an LP

on a sort of related note I'm playing Xenoblade for the first time and it is extremely cool. Although what the gently caress is this skill tree? I can't make any sense of it.

Skill trees are kind of weird in Xenoblade.

Each character starts with 3 trees but can unlock two more through sidequests. You pick one of the three (later five) branches and as you fight you'll unlock new skills in that tree. Those skills are permanent but other characters who befriend that character can learn their skills by spending Affinity Coins (which you get by leveling up or beating rare monsters.)

The way is that every character has a 'tree' for every other character. At level 1 Affinity they can access the first tier of that tree, up to level 5 where they see the entire tree. Every level of the three has a slot with a distinctive shape. You can spend Affinity Coins to learn any skill that character knows but only if it fits the shape. (Circle, square, star, ect.) This can get really broken with certain combos of skills but takes so much grinding it's almost never worth it.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
There are too many RPGs I want to play. Even using my backloggery (a handy tool for those unaware of what it is: http://www.backloggery.com/verranicus) I can't manage my time well enough and my backlog of games just keeps getting bigger.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Stop buying games until you beat the ones you got. That helped with my backlog ballooning.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
But if I don't get Witcher 3 at 50% off now, how will I play it when I finish Witcher 2 in a couple months and there's no sale? :v:

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Tae posted:

one of the characters has chakrams for a weapon

i'm loving this game more and more

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

The White Dragon posted:

But if I don't get Witcher 3 at 50% off now, how will I play it when I finish Witcher 2 in a couple months and there's no sale? :v:

This guy gets it.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

The White Dragon posted:

And so was born the 500+ steam game list.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

drat, an actual world map.

...It's been so long.

There was one in Blue Dragon. And an airship to explore the world map, too.

I was legitimately shocked by both of these things.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

There was one in Blue Dragon. And an airship to explore the world map, too.

I was legitimately shocked by both of these things.

Blue Dragon was 10 years ago, dude

Although what do you call Bravely Default's map then

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWtpAzbEnc8

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Tae posted:

Although what do you call Bravely Default's map then

empty and pointless, mostly

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Stelas posted:

Perhaps the same could be said of all world maps

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Stelas posted:

How is that different from any other SNES/PS1 world map

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

World maps exist to be largely empty and mostly there as an illusion of a larger world.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Bravely Default's map just felt incredibly lacking. Actually, the world-building in general just felt really weird in that game, I never really felt like I had any context for what was going on compared to the world at large. There were, what, four towns total? The world map was so huge in comparison it only seemed to be there to make walking to the next dungeon location even more of a chore than it was already.

e: which bugged me because you had glimpses of a larger world populated with airships and armies facing off and whatever else and then nah let's go to this bumfuck cave that's a five minute walk away. I would have liked to see a lot more locations in general, especially friendly ones rather than dungeons

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Tae posted:

Blue Dragon was 10 years ago, dude

Well I only played it a few months ago and it was only last console generation.

Still, I see your point.

Blue Dragon has a great soundtrack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Final Fantasy Type-0 has the best world map in recent years because not only is there a world map but you actually play an RTS mini-game on it sometimes.