Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
Looking for a few games that I can play online. Not live, just where I can be notified it is my turn to go and do a turn here or there through the day. Looking for the magic combination of low pressure (e.g. if I can't get to a turn for 4-5 hours, no big deal) but also do not want to play a game 30% of the way through and just have someone flake and completely disappear.

So far, I've got a few games going on boardgaming-online for Through the Ages (two games completed, three in process, it looks like someone has flaked on one of the three in process as they have not posted for a few days now).

I'm looking for things like Mage Knight and Magic Realm.

Too much to ask for, I know, but I'm also looking for something more casual. Not particularly interested in playing against card counting, min/maxing autistics. I'm happy to play to win, but I don't want to have to set up 17 spreadsheets to track every card in play in order to be remotely competitive. I'm looking more for the experience you would get a game table, with people who just pick the best thing they can in a couple minutes and play their turn.

Suggestions? (Other than go gently caress yourself for insulting min/maxing autistics?)

EDIT: I should add, I know VASSAL exists. I'm looking more for things where I can find a group of potential other players, and get going quickly without a lot of mess and fuss. Through the Ages on boardgaming-online is great for that. I'm looking for more things like that. Bonus points if I can theoretically do it from a machine that does not allow me to install executables (but does allow free use of web browsers, etc.). I might be able to get VASSAL on this machine (because java poo poo sometimes allows me to work around the no installs requirement), but I'm not positive and don't want to rely on it.

SlyFrog fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Feb 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Mega64 posted:

I hope he teams up with the Munchkin artist for Exploding Zombies Against Humanity.

Excuse me. You forgot an important part of that game name. It's Exploding Zombies Against Humanity at House on the Hill.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
You can play FCM, Terra Mystica, and 18xx in asynchronous games on various websites. I don't have the links handy but someone else will. Boardgame arena has a bunch of medium-weight games and is getting keyflower that you can play asynchronously. They have an ELO system in place so that you can see if someone is going to be a fuckin' shark.

As far as wanting to win games without putting effort in goes, I suggest you get good.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

Impermanent posted:

As far as wanting to win games without putting effort in goes, I suggest you get good.

I don't want to win. I never said I wanted to win. I said I'm happy to play to win (which means I don't need a carebear game, I'm happy to play something competitive), but I don't need to win, I don't care much about that. I said I don't want to play with autistics who track poo poo with spread sheets and say things like, "get good."

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

Avalon Hill recieved a letter from a scientist with a PhD (who was also an Avalon Hill fan) complaining he couldn't understand the rules.

SlyFrog posted:

Looking for a few games that I can play online. Not live, just where I can be notified it is my turn to go and do a turn here or there through the day. Looking for the magic combination of low pressure (e.g. if I can't get to a turn for 4-5 hours, no big deal) but also do not want to play a game 30% of the way through and just have someone flake and completely disappear.

So far, I've got a few games going on boardgaming-online for Through the Ages (two games completed, three in process, it looks like someone has flaked on one of the three in process as they have not posted for a few days now).

I'm looking for things like Mage Knight and Magic Realm.

Do you know about RealmSpeak? You still need to recruit players yourself but it does have the ability to email players when it is their turn to play.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Slyforg did someone challenge you to find as many ways as you can to work "autistics" in your posts or something

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

PBS Newshour posted:

Slyforg did someone challenge you to find as many ways as you can to work "autistics" in your posts or something

No. I'm just being overly aggressive. Probably my autism acting up.

I think I've just had a few too many one star "newbie player" games of Through the Ages online where it's pretty loving clear that the people signing up have played a lot of games.

Yes, I should find a much less assholish way of saying, "I want to play with casual people who look at the board and say, 'This move looks pretty good,'" not hardcore types who track all cards that have been played and study strategy guides to max out combos and the like.

Consider that my attempt at a less assholish way to say that. :)

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

disperse posted:

Do you know about RealmSpeak? You still need to recruit players yourself but it does have the ability to email players when it is their turn to play.

I think RealmSpeak actually works on all my computers, and it would therefore probably be ideal. I've played Magic Realm before, but only at very simple levels and a very long time ago, and never in competition (e.g. no character on character fighting). I'd love to try to play, but I probably should not be the one setting up and guiding a game, given my inexperience.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I'm generally not a huge fan of economic games but I'm interested in FCM just because I'm working in fast food right now.

theroachman posted:

How many people ITT received Exploding Kittens as a Christmas gift "because I heard you like boardgames". Show of hands please.

I got Doctor Who Risk. But my brother got me Eminent Domain and I got him a Dominion expansion so it works out.

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock

theroachman posted:

How many people ITT received Exploding Kittens as a Christmas gift "because I heard you like boardgames". Show of hands please.

Not me!

It was a birthday present :kheldragar:

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

SlyFrog posted:

No. I'm just being overly aggressive. Probably my autism acting up.

I think I've just had a few too many one star "newbie player" games of Through the Ages online where it's pretty loving clear that the people signing up have played a lot of games.

Yes, I should find a much less assholish way of saying, "I want to play with casual people who look at the board and say, 'This move looks pretty good,'" not hardcore types who track all cards that have been played and study strategy guides to max out combos and the like.

Consider that my attempt at a less assholish way to say that. :)

What I'm saying is that you really aren't going to find that online without making it for yourself. You can try to get other people you know to play games online with you, but you're kind of automatically entering into a world of self-selecting hypercompetitive people by choosing to play niche german-manufactured designer board games on the internet. (And further, acting like people beat you because they have no life always kinda makes people look like a dingus.)

That being said, I get why you'd be mad at people who deliberately low-star themselves in order to shark people at through the ages online. That is rude.

Boardgamearena is probably your best bet. Just look for a newbie or casual table or something. You can also organize a game here - I'm sure there's a number of people looking to try some of the games you've mentioned who want a casual experience to get started. We have a thread for playing board games online (I think.)

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

Avalon Hill recieved a letter from a scientist with a PhD (who was also an Avalon Hill fan) complaining he couldn't understand the rules.

SlyFrog posted:

I think RealmSpeak actually works on all my computers, and it would therefore probably be ideal. I've played Magic Realm before, but only at very simple levels and a very long time ago, and never in competition (e.g. no character on character fighting). I'd love to try to play, but I probably should not be the one setting up and guiding a game, given my inexperience.

This is a good opportunity for me to promote my Magic Realm PbP game. It's already on day 2 but you should feel free to follow along.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

COOL CORN posted:

Let's play some 1830 trains here. Anyone up for it? I'm still learning the rules so I will play very badly, guaranteed.

I'd be interested. Let's see if anyone else is.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Mortley posted:

Anybody interested in some Puzzle Strike matches? It's synchronous-only, but also cross-platform, so I don't know if there's a generic IRC where I might ask to get a game going. Or a Steam group for SA board gamers?

Hey dude I'm down. Maybe we should set up a thread for those games like the cool battlecon guys.

EBag
May 18, 2006

Quiche games has FCM in stock now for any Canadian goons or US goons who want a deal http://quichegames.com/products/food-chain-magnate

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Oldstench posted:

I'm up for it too but I also need to leaern the rules

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

Impermanent posted:

(And further, acting like people beat you because they have no life always kinda makes people look like a dingus.)

I'm not acting like that. People are quite capable of beating me while still having lives. You don't have to be a side-spreadhseet having sperg to beat me. I just don't want to play with people who put 1,000 more effort into the game than I do. I'm looking for something closer to a common shared level of casualness.

In the same way that someone can beat me playing a game of Memory straight up (as my memory is poo poo), but I still don't want to play with someone who painstakingly writes down each piece that has been revealed. I'm not interested in playing Scrabble with someone that checks possible word combinations using an online dictionary/website. I'm just not interested in playing with those types of people, and I'm also not interested in the game that would result (completely non-competitive, because I have no desire to do that).

I'm not saying people who are into that type of thing are monsters (well, I jokingly say it). People can play however they want that lets them have fun. Some people are into that type of playstyle. I'm not. It's not fun for me. It's just a personal preference, like vanilla or chocolate.

SlyFrog fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Feb 11, 2016

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

disperse posted:

This is a good opportunity for me to promote my Magic Realm PbP game. It's already on day 2 but you should feel free to follow along.

Yeah, I noticed that. I'm going to be following. Thanks!

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Has anyone tried the online version of Keyflower on boardgamearena yet? Does it implement or allow you to implement the gamer's variant? I'm only interested in it if it has the variant.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

Actually, I really want to play Duel of Ages II. Such a beautiful game.

I want to play all the games.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Impermanent posted:

Boardgamearena is probably your best bet. Just look for a newbie or casual table or something. You can also organize a game here - I'm sure there's a number of people looking to try some of the games you've mentioned who want a casual experience to get started. We have a thread for playing board games online (I think.)

This. It has an Elo system, and it blocks you from joining newbie/bad player's tables once your rating gets good enough.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

SlyFrog posted:

Actually, I really want to play Duel of Ages II. Such a beautiful game.

I want to play all the games.

DoA II is really, really funny. I've only played, oh, half a game of it or so.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

The General posted:

Thought I'd send out another offer for a game of Antiquity over at http://play.boardgamecore.net/
I really don't get to play it enough.

Though I suppose I'd also be down for a FCM, though I haven't played it before and would probably lose badly.

I haven't played before, but I'll give it a try.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Oldstench posted:

Impermanent posted:

I'm up for it too but I also need to leaern the rules

Sign up at the site and then sent me your player IDs. If we get a couple more I'll start a game.

Also, assuming everyone is cool with 1830, it's the only one I've read the rules for.

Speaking of rules: https://www.mayfairgames.com/files/supportfiles/mfg1830-rules-v1_0.pdf

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

COOL CORN posted:

Sign up at the site and then sent me your player IDs. If we get a couple more I'll start a game.

Also, assuming everyone is cool with 1830, it's the only one I've read the rules for.

Speaking of rules: https://www.mayfairgames.com/files/supportfiles/mfg1830-rules-v1_0.pdf

Those are not the rules you're looking for.
These are. I'm almost 100% sure that the rr18xx version uses these, not the new Mayfair rules.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Oldstench posted:

Those are not the rules you're looking for.
These are. I'm almost 100% sure that the rr18xx version uses these, not the new Mayfair rules.

Good to know! Thanks!

Does anyone have a link to one of the old Mage Knight LP threads? I feel like reading them.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

COOL CORN posted:

Good to know! Thanks!

Does anyone have a link to one of the old Mage Knight LP threads? I feel like reading them.

Actually, it looks like I'm completely wrong. The link to the rules on the site is to the Mayfair edition. So...I don't know.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Oldstench posted:

Actually, it looks like I'm completely wrong. The link to the rules on the site is to the Mayfair edition. So...I don't know.

If it implements and enforces the rules, I guess it doesn't matter. I feel like the point of reading the rules is just to explain the gist and flow of the game.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

I would guess that it's the Mayfair "classic" rules since there are a couple of clarifications in it like sell-buy-sell.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
Has anyone tried out Nippon? I hear it's like a lighter Madeira, wondering what the pros and cons of the two might be worth picking up.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

COOL CORN posted:

Let's play some 1830 trains here. Anyone up for it? I'm still learning the rules so I will play very badly, guaranteed.

Ughh I am TRYING to close out my work projects you monsters.

Username is GutterOwl. Warning though, I'll probably be playing kinda slow until Saturday. After which I will suddenly have a lot of free time. :negative:

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Has anyone tried out Nippon? I hear it's like a lighter Madeira, wondering what the pros and cons of the two might be worth picking up.

I haven't played Madeira but I liked Nippon -- the worker element where you're trying to collect sets of the same color worker from a share action space is neat. It leads to some interesting decisions in the early and late game. I could see the game feeling a bit samey (the same buildings are in the game every game, although theoretically the worker distribution should mix things up a bit each time), but I still enjoyed it. It's very streamlined in a good way. It's one of the easier medium/heavy games to pick up and everything flows in a logical way. The area control in the shipping section builds a nice tension too.

I'm not sure if I'll buy it (strangely enough I have Madeira, got it really cheap a while back but just haven't had a chance to bust it out), because I have a ton of WP games, but I would definitely play it if someone wanted to. It and Mombasa sans repellent theme are two of the better mid-heavy Euros to come out this year.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Cyanide and Happiness kickstarted a Cards Aginst Humanity clone using random comic panels and it's at 600k with 27 days to go. CaH CAH, if you will. Poop jokes on the internet printed on cards is actually like printing money.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

COOL CORN posted:

In no particular order.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3719995

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3747082

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3674358

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3720265

Amoeba102 posted:

Cyanide and Happiness kickstarted a Cards Aginst Humanity clone using random comic panels and it's at 600k with 27 days to go. CaH CAH, if you will. Poop jokes on the internet printed on cards is actually like printing money.

Name? I like trainwrecks.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Feb 11, 2016

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock

Amoeba102 posted:

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cyanideandhappiness/joking-hazard

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

jesus christ

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock

PBS Newshour posted:

jesus christ

either the most or the least self-aware thing ever, hard to tell.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I actually think this is probably the least-bad possible version of a random joke generator game, and will kickstart this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

silvergoose posted:

DoA II is really, really funny. I've only played, oh, half a game of it or so.

Unironically one of my worst gaming experiences ever. Thankfully after 3 hours one of the people had to go and I suggested that we just stop since it was lopsided. Also my characters didn't make it to the board for the first 2.5 hours. Yup, I got a total of like 2 turns from one guy and 1 turn from the other. I'm fairly convinced that the game is just one giant troll.