Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

when the GREATEST player in the world offers you a handshake and you spit at him.... gently caress it just boils my blood!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

ghostter posted:

when the GREATEST player in the world offers you a handshake and you spit at him.... gently caress it just boils my blood!
ahahahahah, you think GTR is still the best player in the world?

what year is it, man?

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

JOHN NORMAN OF GOR posted:

This is correct. 30-40 yr olds a generation ago, had more responsibilities, had children younger (that will really age you), smoked, and had lovely diets. If you get sent to some rice paddy in SE Asia or storm some beach in Europe and live, you're not going to be trifling wth some onesie party when you get back. They looked older because life demanded them to be adults when they became adults and they carried themselves accordingly.

*whipcrack*

Baron Porkface fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Feb 11, 2016

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

yeah those hardy motherfuckers of the 1970s, truly a badass generation, and literally everyone went to vietnam

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Automatic Slim posted:

They looked older because life demanded them to be adults when they became adults and they carried themselves accordingly.
if to look older and hence become an adult you need to go to war, smoke a pack a day, and have kids before you're legally able to drink, i don't think many people in this thread are adults

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

symbolic posted:

ahahahahah, you think GTR is still the best player in the world?

what year is it, man?

he's still the best you'll see nip redemption he's got the magic still

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

ghostter posted:

he's still the best you'll see nip redemption he's got the magic still
they loving picked up pyth while keeping Friberg. they're still boned.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Dave Concepcion posted:

i thought college girls were supposed to be hot

It's NH not USC

Khorne
May 1, 2002

ghostter posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjLHduTNxlQ

The players from Fnatic refuse to shake Christopher "GeT_RiGhT" Alesund's hand and also shout many bad words at them.

This event happened at DreamHack Bucharest 2013
The context is NIP lost overtime, whined to the organizers about it being MR3 when it was supposed to be MR5 but only after the overtime was over and they had lost instead of right away, and Fnatic was forced to replay the overtime that they had already won.

NiP was a big favorite to win against Fnatic at that time. And there was a very real chance they would have their win stolen from them by replaying the overtime.

With the actual context, their behavior seems fairly reasonable. Besides that overweight guy on the left who took it too far.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Khorne posted:

With the actual context, their behavior seems fairly reasonable. Besides that overweight guy on the left who took it too far.
that's JW and he is a fish-human hybrid

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
I feel out of touch when loving video game tournaments are cited as shared cultural experiences that multiple posters know the context of.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

A Strange Aeon posted:

I feel out of touch when loving video game tournaments are cited as shared cultural experiences that multiple posters know the context of.
IIRC more people watched the League of Legends world finals than the NBA championship last year

quote:

Over 32 million fans watched SK Telecom T1 earn the Summoner's Cup in front of a sold-out Staples Center. At peak, more than 8.5 million fans were watching at the same time.

welcome to the future

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

symbolic posted:

IIRC more people watched the League of Legends world finals than the NBA championship last year

welcome to the future

Good

gently caress the nba

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Khorne posted:

The context is NIP lost overtime, whined to the organizers about it being MR3 when it was supposed to be MR5 but only after the overtime was over and they had lost instead of right away, and Fnatic was forced to replay the overtime that they had already won.

NiP was a big favorite to win against Fnatic at that time. And there was a very real chance they would have their win stolen from them by replaying the overtime.

I have no idea what any of this means, but I have a feeling that this is a case where ignorance is bliss.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

The_Franz posted:

I have no idea what any of this means, but I have a feeling that this is a case where ignorance is bliss.
Yeah, overtime in a tournament with money on the line sure is a foreign concept! Having to replay overtime due to rules lawyering is cryptic language as well!

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
He got a power up and beat the game but the other guy said it wasn't fair.

I'm not surprised pro gaming is big and getting bigger because its all the concentrated navel gazing drama of reality TV paired up with all the sports marketing techniques through the ages.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Pretty millennial crap goin on ITT

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Khorne posted:

Yeah, overtime in a tournament with money on the line sure is a foreign concept! Having to replay overtime due to rules lawyering is cryptic language as well!

What is MR3 and MR5 and who ultimately won?

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

radiatinglines posted:

you're talking out of your rear end and your desperation to prove you're better is pathetic

symbolic posted:

your avatar makes me read everything you say in a nasally, sarcastic voice

So much projection going on here it hurts.

ChesterJT fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Feb 11, 2016

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

ChesterJT posted:

So much projection going on here it hurts.

The ironing is delicious

Reading your posts is like reading a manifesto on why the jocks you went to high school with work construction jobs while you're living it up as a computer janitor, but you've replaced your jock bogeymen with millenials

hawowanlawow fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Feb 11, 2016

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Pretty millennial crap goin on ITT
i'd say pro gaming is shifting to a more Gen Z thing. just give it a few years and most pros will be 23 or younger, the main audience likewise. esports careers usually only last until your late 20s, so the millennials will start getting shoved out of the business soon enough.

then we youngin's take over

:getin:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Esports is a bizarre mix of traits, since it requires insane dedication and somewhat real physical fitness but you're totally done by the time you are old enough to drink. It's like if people had multimillion dollar tournaments for a high school basketball team, they might be good at what they do but they are still kids

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Esports is a bizarre mix of traits, since it requires insane dedication and somewhat real physical fitness but you're totally done by the time you are old enough to drink. It's like if people had multimillion dollar tournaments for a high school basketball team, they might be good at what they do but they are still kids
counterpoint: quite a few CS:GO pros (the only esport i give a poo poo about) are in their mid-to-late 20s right now and still perform consistently well: f0rest, TaZ, neo, fnx, etc. however, the overwhelming majority are between 19 and 23, so i see your point.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

symbolic posted:

counterpoint: quite a few CS:GO pros (the only esport i give a poo poo about) are in their mid-to-late 20s right now and still perform consistently well: f0rest, TaZ, neo, fnx, etc. however, the overwhelming majority are between 19 and 23, so i see your point.

Right now mid-to-late 20s might be typical but I expect the general age will dive as time goes on. Right now the pros are all the sperglords that got really great at the games just for the sake of being the best. But with the massive hype for esports and the fact that more and more games are being designed around supporting that structure, kids are going to get exposed to the idea of "playing video games for actual sports" at a younger age and the general demographic will get younger.

There have been tournaments since the days of Quake but they were never mainstream in the way that League and all of that is. Esports, like the cancer it is, already has spread to most multiplayer games in one way or another

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

EugeneJ posted:

Triumph The Insult Comic Dog vs. College Millenials

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j556MWGVVqI

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

symbolic posted:

isn't that also prevalent in Asia?

It's prevalent pretty much everywhere except north america.

Hell, there's a lot of cultures where you never move out. You just grow up and the home becomes your home and the parents move into the basement suite or wherever.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

i just saw Taco Bell's quesalupa commercial and holy poo poo

literally the ultimate millenial.avi

Barnum Brown Shoes
Jan 29, 2013

A Strange Aeon posted:

My best guitar store story involved me leaving and walking past two employees who were standing by the door. I had on a Mountain Goats shirt that had a picture of the statue of Romulus and Remus suckling from the she-wolf.

The guy on the right pointed at my shirt and said "Hey, Romulus and Remus!" And I smiled and turned and the guy on the left said "Sucking wolf titty!" in the most sleazy, bro-giving-you-a-thumbs-up voice imaginable.

I didn't know how to respond and just left.

Ugh. loving jocks!

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

http://i.imgur.com/dMoTDof.gifv

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

symbolic posted:

i just saw Taco Bell's quesalupa commercial and holy poo poo

literally the ultimate millenial.avi

Things people like

-Man buns
-Tinder
-Gyrocopters
-Hover boards
-Soccer?

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Things people like

-Man buns
-Tinder
-Gyrocopters
-Hover boards
-Soccer?
don't forget one of the four Guns N' Roses songs millennials actually know

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
I think esports athletes will mostly be young because the audience is young and would not want to watch uncool old guys beating their peers at video games, and the promoters and advertisers know this, and will do what's necessary to promote young and handsome and marketable cyber athletes.

My next prediction is that one day the internet will collectively poo poo it's pants when they realize this blatantly obvious situation, and will rally behind some fat old guy who has the highest ranking magical fairy collection in the unofficial servers.

Pursuant to that prediction, a congressional committee will be set up to investigate cyber gaming esports like the one set up to investigate cheating in baseball. Heads will roll in the name of justice and equality.

My final prediction is that the new and fair official esports will decline to nearly nothing overnight because nobody wants to watch fat old men play video games (or do anything else).

e: to put a timeline on it, I expect this all to happen by 8 PM EST

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

reallivedinosaur posted:

nobody wants to watch fat old men play video games (or do anything else).

Watching them get pulled out of sleazy motels and arrested on COPS is always entertaining.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Things people like

-Man buns
-Tinder
-Gyrocopters
-Hover boards
-Soccer?

I'm an old because my favorite parts were the aliens guy and George Takei.

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot

reallivedinosaur posted:

Nah, beard is a dumb cyclical fashion trend like everything else.

When Obamacare made the rule that parents have to cover children until they are 25 I knew there was no hope. Literally nobody in the country expects you to have any basic life skills or employment until you are 25 years of age.

lol if you think "basic life skills or employement" are the threshhold to be able to afford health insurance before Obamacare

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

symbolic posted:

welcome to the future

I get the appeal of watching video games, but I was never that into live sports events in the first place, so esports doesn't really appeal very much to me. Plus, I like watching actual gameplay, but so many streams seem to be a camera focused on the dude playing and his expressions and I could care less about the personality of the streamer and his often idiotic responses to the people watching live.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Things people like

-Man buns
-Tinder
-Gyrocopters
-Hover boards
-Soccer?

It's gonna be bigger than [latest thing trending on Facebook]

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Oh man if there was one hoverboard that I wanted to burst into flames...

Yates
Jan 29, 2010

He was just 17...

Average Hawkeye fan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naem
May 29, 2011

5er posted:

It's gonna be bigger than [latest thing trending on Facebook]

The only thing trending on Facebook is my 60 year old uncle who is building a new house and REALLY wants to talk about politics and minions

• Locked thread