Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Moola posted:

XCOM 2 mods looking good so far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

I have really awful audio stuttering problems whenever anything moves, and it is completely hosed and kinda unplayable.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
expanded mag and/or autoloader + serial rampages are so good. It's In the Zone but with even less restrictions.

also I love how kill zone can lead to sick nasty 360 no scope shots.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

:siren: :siren:
YOU CAN NOW SHUT BRADFORD UP IN RETAL MISSIONS

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=621358553&searchtext=

:siren: :siren:

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

dyzzy posted:

expanded mag and/or autoloader + serial rampages are so good. It's In the Zone but with even less restrictions.

I only used serial once in my first campaign because Killzone's ability to give you multiple shots on each target (if you activate a pod on your turn, it activates on their scatter move and again when or if they get to act) was just better most of the time

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

holy poo poo

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

PirateBob posted:

Are there "bad" abilities to be avoided in this game?

Aim, for sharpshooters.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Segmentation Fault posted:

"Always have a backup plan. If you've got a rocket launcher, you've got a backup plan." ~ John "Beaglerush" Teasdale

Where are people seeing all this xcom 2 play from Beagle? His youtube has like 4 videos point-launch and the twitch is mostly Jam playing which is entertaining but in a different way. (Mostly because I find the word "fucko" hilarious)

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

GOTY confirmed.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

SynthOrange posted:

Hunker down is a command not a skill. :v:

He means Aim, which adds +20 to aim the next turn after Hunkering Down. It's total bullshit that's even an AWC option.

year199X
Oct 9, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Oh Jake, look at what you have enabled.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

gonadic io posted:

Where are people seeing all this xcom 2 play from Beagle? His youtube has like 4 videos point-launch and the twitch is mostly Jam playing which is entertaining but in a different way. (Mostly because I find the word "fucko" hilarious)

That quote's from the original Ironman Impossible series.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Harrow posted:

There are very few bad abilities this time. Blademaster Rangers drop off in the lategame, but you can respec soldiers in this, so it's not a huge deal, and some people love them anyway.

Some abilities seem kind of crappy given the way I play, like the one that gives a Sharpshooter an aim bonus on their next shot after they hunker down (I almost never hunker down), but some players could still get use out of those, and if you get an Advanced Warfare Center "hidden skill" that automatically hunkers you down if you don't shoot, it suddenly becomes awesome.

Basically, take abilities that sound useful for how you want to use the soldier and you honestly can't go wrong.

Got it, thanks. :v:

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

UberJew posted:

I only used serial once in my first campaign because Killzone's ability to give you multiple shots on each target (if you activate a pod on your turn, it activates on their scatter move and again when or if they get to act) was just better most of the time

Whynotboth.jpg

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I'm interested in trying out a sniper build next run because I've been solely using Gunslinger. Serial sounds great, but the ability to one-shot any mech with Fan Fire or instant-kill any Codex is too good for my style.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

dyzzy posted:

Whynotboth.jpg

Well there's no reason to use serial when all of them are dead already or there is a single survivor :v:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CapnAndy posted:

Gunslinger Sharpshooters are amazing, but I so deeply love Kill Zone. Especially for priming an ambush. Go ahead and scatter, fuckers, I've got you all in my sights.

I basically insist on having both a gunslinger and a sniper in my squad from now on. If I could justify taking Kill Zone over Faceoff on a gunslinger I suppose I'd only need one, but goddamn they're both so good that I refuse to choose just one.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

UberJew posted:

Well there's no reason to use serial when all of them are dead already or there is a single survivor :v:

I have an idea to fix this, it involves making civilians targetable...

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM
I mean aim isn't even a horrible skill. It's not like pistol overwatch is a great thing on a sniper focused sharpshooter - and most high ground cover is light cover

So blue moving up and hunkering down means you are very unlikely to be targeted (or hit, or killed) and then the next turn you have +20 aim to drop a deadshot

You guys don't know what bad skills are lol...try flush or rapid reaction

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

StringOfLetters posted:

I have verified that mind controlled chrysalids can make more chrysalids, but they are not friendly.

That's interesting, because if you make a psi zombie with a mind controlled gatekeeper, it is friendly.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
What building requires the most power once it's fully upgraded?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

SeaTard posted:

That's interesting, because if you make a psi zombie with a mind controlled gatekeeper, it is friendly.

Makes sense to me. Psi zombies are under the direct control of the unit that created them. New chrysalids are independent beings.

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

Moola posted:

XCOM 2 mods looking good so far

First enemy to soldier mod: ADMEC, surprisingly.

Dinictus fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Feb 11, 2016

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Is anyone else finding that if they respec a colonel or buy one from HQ/Black market that they don't get the AWC bonus? Is that working as intended?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Fuse can be used on dead enemies.... :haw:

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

oswald ownenstein posted:

I mean aim isn't even a horrible skill. It's not like pistol overwatch is a great thing on a sniper focused sharpshooter - and most high ground cover is light cover

So blue moving up and hunkering down means you are very unlikely to be targeted (or hit, or killed) and then the next turn you have +20 aim to drop a deadshot

Or demolition which as far as I can tell simply doesn't work...

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

tarbrush posted:

Is anyone else finding that if they respec a colonel or buy one from HQ/Black market that they don't get the AWC bonus? Is that working as intended?

Soldiers aren't guaranteed to get an AWC skill. If you don't get one when you retrain, that soldier didn't get one.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Zephro posted:

Has anyone run into a bug where you load a savegame in the battlescape, get about half a second of sound, and then it freezes with a black screen? When you force-quit Xcom you get "Error 41: The Steam servers are too busy to handle your request". I've tried loading earlier saves from the same mission but nothing seems to fix it, so I don't think it can be a single corrupt save.
Just a shot in the dark here, but if it's giving a steam sync error, is cloud saving on?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
This game is great and I've finally just beaten it on commander ironman, but I'm pissed as hell that it uses the same "pods only activate if you're stupid enough to look at them" rules as EU did. Concealment and time limits are an okay bandaid for the kind of gameplay those mechanics encourage but they're not fixes for the underlying problem, and absolutely nothing feels worse than just trying to get a good flank or something and accidentally doubling the size of the enemy squad in the process.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

oswald ownenstein posted:

Flush was good. It was a guaranteed hit, albeit for minor damage, and could dislodge enemies from difficult positions. It was even better in training roulette since you could get flush on assaults, which was great with shotguns.

I don't even remember what rapid reaction does though.

Ferrinus posted:

This game is great and I've finally just beaten it on commander ironman, but I'm pissed as hell that it uses the same "pods only activate if you're stupid enough to look at them" rules as EU did. Concealment and time limits are an okay bandaid for the kind of gameplay those mechanics encourage but they're not fixes for the underlying problem, and absolutely nothing feels worse than just trying to get a good flank or something and accidentally doubling the size of the enemy squad in the process.

If pods didn't use that rule then the last problem would be even worse though.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
FWIW, the final part of the final mission on veteran was hilarious. I went in there with a gatekeeper and an andromedan, who turned on me when he died. I didn't use my special unit to mc anyone in the last battle and I don't think anyone took a single point of damage. I got some additional MC's with insanity and void rift.

One big thing I learned from beaglerush is to make a strategy with your team using their abilities. In a fight, you go through each guy and figure out what they can do, what their aim %'s are, how many people they can kill, who should go first (the guy who can only aim at one person, often) etc. Sometimes a hopeless looking situation can be fixed by just using 3 of your 6 dudes, and at the end of the 3rd guy's turn, every enemy is not just dead, but SUPER dead.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

gonadic io posted:

Demolition works, you have to be in front of the cover you want to destroy.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Internet Kraken posted:

Flush was good. It was a guaranteed hit, albeit for minor damage, and could dislodge enemies from difficult positions. It was even better in training roulette since you could get flush on assaults, which was great with shotguns.

I don't even remember what rapid reaction does though.

I'm pretty sure flush was an assault skill, and was the alternative to rapid fire..

Elliotw2 posted:

I'm pretty sure if you fly past the UFO's on the map even when there's not a Hunt dark event active they can lock onto you.

This definitely happened to me. (at least, I got the defense mission without an active dark event)

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Oh hey apparently (confirmed by Amineri) crit chance isn't conditional on a hit, meaning 50% hit and 50% crit means that all hits will be crits.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM

gonadic io posted:

I haven't actually had any issues with demolition but there is indestructible cover in the game and sometimes it's hard to know the difference but one way to know is to target something with a grenade direct hit and see if it shades red or not

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

redreader posted:

I'm pretty sure flush was an assault skill, and was the alternative to rapid fire..

Hahaha well shows how long its been since I played EU without training roulette. I thought it was a heavy skill.

If it was competing with rapid fire then yeah, you would never take it. A lot of skills have that problem though, where the skill itself is fine but one it competes with is amazing so the choice is always obvious.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Internet Kraken posted:

If pods didn't use that rule then the last problem would be even worse though.

I'd rather the default pod size was 4 or 5 but the game was set up such that it was effectively impossible to activate pods by accident. Maybe the second one automatically airdrops in X turns after the first is activated, maybe you can always see pod LOS as red squares on the map even in fog of war, whatever. I hate losing soldiers because I looked through the wrong window.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
Blast padding might be the most useless skill.
Not to mention it competes with Shredder which is utterly fantastic

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

When I was talking about the Hunker Down RNG, I was talking about Deep Cover. The Skill that auto hunkers down if you didn't attack that turn.

You know, the skill opposite of Untouchable for Rangers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
What can I look forward to, moving from veteran to commander difficulty?