Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Majorian posted:

Fair point, although I'm going to rescind that if it turns out this makes her the next Palin.

Her entire goal here is pretty obviously to be the next Palin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

dp :(

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Murderion posted:

I spent all my money paying bodyguards to protect me from you, your honor :saddowns:

I hope Fry's video archives see as much use for his insanity defense as they do sending the other fuckers down. Based on his history of mental illness and actions at the refuge, it might actually be legit.

Really this.

Out of everyone Fry seems to have been drawn to this because he desperately wanted to belong to something because he has legitimate mental issues and was ostracized throughout his life for it. Of everyone I really hope he gets the least amount of jail time and the most amount of professional therapy, and the only hope that that might come true is how batshit his ranting has been throughout this whole thing.

Majorian posted:

Fair point, although I'm going to rescind that if it turns out this makes her the next Palin.

By the polyester of the holy tarp, I completely agree.

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V
I found it strange that one of David Fry's examples of the "abuse" he had received was two dudes had told him he looked like a Ron Paul voter, and he'd told them that he was. They responded, "Yeah, well we voted for Obama."

So, another person merely expressing to him that they have a different opinion to him verbally was so traumatizing that he needed to get if off of his chest while he considered suicide in a tent surrounded by FBI agents. I guess it's a small thing in a sea of other crazy poo poo, but I just found it jarring.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Evil Fluffy posted:

It doesn't matter how much you dare to dream, even if the government goes full RICO they will not consider going after the Koch family. You could have video evidence of them forming 501c orgs for the explicit purpose of rallying militias to the Bundy ranch for a violent confrontation with the Feds and the Koch brothers would still beat the charges or get a slap on the wrist. One of the most powerful families on the planet isn't going to go down for funding groups to push for policies to further enrich said family.

Well, no, I'm not dreaming of that happening. What I'm dreaming of is exposing their money-tentacle backbone. Proof that the seditionists and, I don't know, their anti-climate-change funding come from the same place.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

After all the broadcasts my opinion of these guys has shifted from 'armed dangerous radical fringe elements' to 'armed dangerous bumblefucks'.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
idk telling someone "you look like a Ron Paul supporter" is p rude

How crazy do you have to be to be a legal defence? I think the hours of screaming about Obama chemically mutating people could swing it for him.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

SynthOrange posted:

After all the broadcasts my opinion of these guys has shifted from 'armed dangerous radical fringe elements' to 'armed dangerous bumblefucks'.

That's probably even more dangerous though.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

That's probably even more dangerous though.

So we're back to Kylo Ren comparisons.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Mr. Belding posted:

I found it strange that one of David Fry's examples of the "abuse" he had received was two dudes had told him he looked like a Ron Paul voter, and he'd told them that he was. They responded, "Yeah, well we voted for Obama."

So, another person merely expressing to him that they have a different opinion to him verbally was so traumatizing that he needed to get if off of his chest while he considered suicide in a tent surrounded by FBI agents. I guess it's a small thing in a sea of other crazy poo poo, but I just found it jarring.

https://twitter.com/JohnLGC/status/697854622262669312

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Polybius91 posted:

I missed the bagpipes, please tell me I can still listen to them somewhere :allears:

The bagpipes start in at around 1:53:35, but go back maybe another minute or so to get some context of what's going on.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Things I am not ready to believe:

Michelle Fiore is anything other than a self-aggrandizing scumbag who happened by accident to be temporarily useful to the FBI, and

David Fry is mentally ill enough to avoid criminal responsibility, as opposed to just an unhinged shithead.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Kazak_Hstan posted:

Things I am not ready to believe:

Michelle Fiore is anything other than a self-aggrandizing scumbag who happened by accident to be temporarily useful to the FBI, and

David Fry is mentally ill enough to avoid criminal responsibility, as opposed to just an unhinged shithead.

Insanity plea is really hard, it means you don't know the difference between right and wrong. Not disagreeing about whether or not something in particular is right or wrong, but whether you can understand that, say, shooting a random person would be wrong.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Can they bring up his state of mind during sentencing to try for the minimum, assuming he doesn't get the insanity plea?

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

buttcoinbrony posted:

Can they bring up his state of mind during sentencing to try for the minimum, assuming he doesn't get the insanity plea?

His sentencing can include treatment, I'm pretty sure, and any probation or parole can have it as a condition, too.

Edit: I should really stop talking 'cuz actually I know poo poo about the federal system, take what I said with a big grain of salt.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Majorian posted:

Amazing. I thought you were going to tell me to gently caress off and take the laughs where I can get it (and you would have been perfectly justified), and instead you made it even better. Well done.

tbh, I'm kinda having fun with it now. Also I legit feel bad for him -- everyone else is in their 40s and being an aggressive fuckup, but he's a mentally ill idiot 27-year-old who got in with a bad crowd. Not to say that he's not old enough to face consequences for his actions, or that he didn't completely earn whatever jail time he sees, but it's kind of sad to think about how he pretty much threw the rest of his life away because someone, somewhere, was finally nice to him (and now that guy's dead because that guy was also a violent nutjob).

I know that you've been scared before
They've brought you in and they've locked the door
But son, you'll see one day that it was done to save ya
Now your father's shamed in the camera's lens
And all you'll be is another trend
You fought hard but all you got was Hallelujah

L-Boned
Sep 11, 2001

by FactsAreUseless
Crazy rednecks or not, I am surprised how many of you think giving up private weapons to the government. That is like numero uno of how democracies transition to dictatorships. We should be more focused on going after people who shouldn't be allowed to own weapons instead of those who should.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Horking Delight posted:

tbh, I'm kinda having fun with it now. Also I legit feel bad for him -- everyone else is in their 40s and being an aggressive fuckup, but he's a mentally ill idiot 27-year-old who got in with a bad crowd. Not to say that he's not old enough to face consequences for his actions, or that he didn't completely earn whatever jail time he sees, but it's kind of sad to think about how he pretty much threw the rest of his life away because someone, somewhere, was finally nice to him (and now that guy's dead because that guy was also a violent nutjob).

I know that you've been scared before
They've brought you in and they've locked the door
But son, you'll see one day that it was done to save ya
Now your father's shamed in the camera's lens
And all you'll be is another trend
You fought hard but all you got was Hallelujah

He should hang out with that nice boy Mark. That's a kid with a good head on his shoulders.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"
I swear there is some weird poo poo going on I'm constantly doubleposting. Clearing cache etc.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Forums have been weird since the changeover last week. There's been a few times on other threads where the new post counter shows 1 but the new post won't load until someone else posts. (Maybe here too but thread's been moving too fast to notice.)

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

L-Boned posted:

Crazy rednecks or not, I am surprised how many of you think giving up private weapons to the government. That is like numero uno of how democracies transition to dictatorships. We should be more focused on going after people who shouldn't be allowed to own weapons instead of those who should.

Most of us don't actually think that the country is headed towards any sort of dictatorship (Trump/Cruz notwithstanding) and, if this incident has taught us anything, a bunch of untrained jackasses are no match for the most powerful military on Earth. Trying to decide who should or should not own weapons leads to many, many potential abuses that almost never manage to get sorted out legally.

More importantly, the perpetual series of mass shootings that have received no response whatsoever has gotten us very disillusioned with firearms as freedom in general.

faxlore
Sep 24, 2014

a blue star tattoo for you!

L-Boned posted:

Lmao. Yeah the United States federal government is super terrified of your tacticool AR and it's literally the only thing stopping us from a dictatorship.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

L-Boned posted:

I am sure that small arms would protect you from BBBBBRRRRRRRRRTTTTTT if that comes. US soldiers would more likely side with the citizens they weren't armed.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Stultus Maximus posted:

So we're back to Kylo Ren comparisons.

They are so apt though

L-Boned posted:

lol not falling for this easy poo poo. Up your game

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

L-Boned posted:

A list of first-world countries where this scenario has happened would include well known nations such as

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

AlphaDog posted:

A list of first-world countries where this scenario has happened would include well known nations such as

Australia, where we are all now ruled by a brutal and megalomaniacal brush tail possum

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

kangaroos arent stupid, they know their takeover plan wont work if the citizenry is armed but if they can challenge humans to fisticuffs...

NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009

oohhboy posted:

I am sure that small arms would protect you from BBBBBRRRRRRRRRTTTTTT if that comes. US soldiers would more likely side with the citizens they weren't armed.
How long have we been in Afghanistan? How's Assad holding up? What's Libya looking like at this point? All of these downfalls started with a group of guys with small arms. When the Taliban were fighting the USSR in the 80's, they were using 100 year old British rifles.

AlphaDog posted:

1. Ukraine

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Murderion posted:

I hope Fry's video archives see as much use for his insanity defense as they do sending the other fuckers down. Based on his history of mental illness and actions at the refuge, it might actually be legit.

The insanity defense standard is much too high for Fry to ever meet it. He would basically need to have spent the entire time thinking what he did was entirely legal, correct, and moral, and any one of his videos or statements would counter that instantly. It could be a sentencing consideration, but definitely not a defense.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

We already fought a war against emus and lost.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

SynthOrange posted:

We already fought a war against emus and lost.

Which would not have happened if the emus were first disarmed by the tyrannical government :colbert:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Its hard to disarm something so armless though.

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V

L-Boned posted:

Well, the thing is when your world is bigger than anecdote your stupid uncle told you then you can have a more nuanced view of things. If you know that the Garda in Ireland doesn't carry firearms because the population also doesn't carry firearms, then you can say "well, this can exist without there being a dictatorship." But still guns going away when you had them is scary. So you could look at Australia where private ownership of firearms largely vanished in response to a mass shooting and this happened within the lifetime of virtually every poster in this thread. But yes, I'm sure you heard somewhere about Hitler confiscating firearms.

The thing is. If your only data point is a stupid anecdote then the only things you can possibly say about that subject would stupid. Like what you just said. If you had a sense of history you could still be worried and bring up potential downsides, but you couldn't be as shrill or ignorant. Of course you wouldn't get to have a silly knee jerk reaction anymore. You'd have to consider lots of things instead of just one little thing.

That would probably be hard.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
We're not even 24 hours out from this ending and we got trolls.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Mark should just roll around the office tomorrow with a tape recorder that plays the Hallelujah chorus whenever he walks into a room.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Queen Pickles makes us wait on her hand and claw, and bites us when we fail to obey.

if we have gun this never happen

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Trig Discipline posted:

Queen Pickles makes us wait on her hand and claw, and bites us when we fail to obey.

Hahaha.

Wrong thread but leave it here. Better than "no gun = hitler".

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Trig Discipline posted:

this should have been the last post and thread locked

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V

Crain posted:

Hahaha.

Wrong thread but leave it here. Better than "no gun = hitler".

If we take away the gross (marsupial?) squirrelfats then only criminals will have gross squirrelfats.

Seriously I don't know what that thing is, but I'm comforted that it's clearly herbivorous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Trig Discipline posted:

See? You let the australian government grab all your guns, this is what you get!

• Locked thread