Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Juffo-Wup posted:

Well, yes, but getting a satellite into the right orbit and putting a missile on target are similar, technically speaking. A missile with a CEP measured in tens of kilometers is not a terribly reliable deterrent, so from that perspective the regime can't be super happy with the result.

Yeah, I know, that was the point I made in my original post. As to accuracy, yeah, the more accurate the better but the US really can't tolerate anyone hitting it with missiles anywhere. If the (never going to actually be launched unless all hell is breaking out in some other way already) nuclear missile accidentally comes down in Tacoma instead of Seattle we might be still be pretty pissed.

Not really. A number of other people with similar backgrounds have disappeared or (been forcibly) retired in the past two or so years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Majorian posted:

Yup. And even if they do nothing, even if war with North Korea never happens, Beijing is still unlikely to ever cotton to U.S. missile interceptors on what they consider to be "their turf," or near enough to their airspace to potentially block China's own nuclear deterrent.

The US has had missile interceptors a lot more capable than the THAAD off both the Japanese and Korean coasts in the form of the ship-based SM-3 for quite some time now. Japan has also conducted tests of the SM-3 since 2007, is jointly developing the missile, and has already deployed it to their Navy. Note that the SM-3 has an advertised range of over double that of THAAD with a much higher velocity, yet aside from voicing an objection to the planned placement of a RADAR installation China has otherwise made very little noise over it.

So basically what I'm saying is Beijing already cottons much more capable U.S. missile interceptors on what they consider "their turf", near enough to their airspace to potentially (see: does not actually) block China's own nuclear deterrent. Choosing the shorter range THAAD was likely intentional to present the least provocative option. Additionally, these aren't boost phase interceptors and don't have the range to hit anything over Chinese territory from the South Korean side of the peninsula so I'm not sure what you think sticking them near China accomplishes.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Feb 11, 2016

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

blowfish posted:

pro tip: thinking the real world works like mediocre video games makes you look like an idiot

I read that the Red Dawn remake involves North Korea invading the USA. Does this mean America is doomed? :derp:

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Vagabundo posted:

I read that the Red Dawn remake involves North Korea invading the USA. Does this mean America is doomed? :derp:

Yes, but not from anything you'd find in a Red Dawn book. Unless you count the kind of people that take them seriously.

Ronald Reagan, for instance.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

WarpedNaba posted:

Yes, but not from anything you'd find in a Red Dawn book. Unless you count the kind of people that take them seriously.

Ronald Reagan, for instance.

Ronald Reagan! But he was an American president! And I saw in a movie once that North Koreans might take over the White House, and only rugged Gerard Butler can save us! Oh no!

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
That period where they tried to make the DPRK the go-to villain in movies was a fun year or two. What's especially funny is that in at least two cases I can think of (Red Dawn and Homefront) they were used at the last minute in place of the Chinese.

Juffo-Wup
Jan 13, 2005

Pillbug
For Red Dawn, wasn't it a condition of the film's Chinese release?

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich
Probably, you won't hear much complaints about china in general (or about tibet!) from hollywood people these days, because movies can make a lot of money there so long as you don't hurt the feelings of the Chinese people.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Vagabundo posted:

We're more likely to be invaded by aliens and fight them off with battleships than to be invaded by North Korea.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Juffo-Wup posted:

For Red Dawn, wasn't it a condition of the film's Chinese release?

http://screenrant.com/red-dawn-villains-china-north-korea-schrad-106177/

quote:

Around the time MGM first delayed the release of Red Dawn, a Chinese newspaper called the Global Times expressed concerns that the film would demonize their state and its citizens (thanks in part to certain leaked images from the set). Evidently, this may have been a factor in scaring off potential distributors who were apprehensive about what effect their involvement with the film would have on future dealings with China.

So without any official complaints from the Chinese government, MGM will spend $1 million to construct a new opening sequence, re-edit several scenes, and digitally change Chinese symbols into Korean. It may sound somewhat ridiculous, but the fact of the matter is that the studio really had no alternative. If the film fails to secure distribution, it could wind up going straight to video – or being permanently shelved.

Nope, they just chickened out! For good reason, probably. The DPRK aren't really credible scary villains either. They have an aging conventional military that's largely been contained, and it really strains credible thought to think that the DPRK would be able to mount an occupation of the western United States.

Halloween Jack posted:

We're more likely to be invaded by aliens and fight them off with battleships than to be invaded by North Korea.

See now that's plausible

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
How much does the average Chinese moviegoer know about North Korea's military? I can only imagine it seemed pretty silly to them, too.

Nothing beats Keanu Reeves' 47 Ronin, though.

karlor
Apr 15, 2014

:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
College Slice
North Korea to cut hotlines with South amid Kaesong shutdown

They haven't huffed and puffed this much since 2013.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Well there is a Party Congress coming up that Un has to look good for.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

No it's just the godamn North Korean invasion from Homefront Red Dawn looping in my head. Also, the EMP from Homefront.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

quote:

"It is another way for Kim Jong Un to show he is in power. He is still young, and still learning who is on his side and who is not," said Kang.

Are these purges just the result of Stalinist paranoia or are there really people openly not 'on his side'? Which seems like a really bad idea.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Nobody knows

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
in either case: pour encourager les autres

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Koramei posted:

Nobody knows

This. But the speculation is that KJU does not like these old folks that his dad saddled him with before he died. There's also competing speculation that KJU has already lost power internally and is more of a figurehead, with KJI's early death preventing him from having a suitable powerbase and the OGD's leadership is now in the driver's seat. It might also just be an internal fight over money and resources. Hell, there's even an extremely small chance that this guy really was a revanchist, factionist, traitorous whatever.

So yeah, nobody knows. Or, if they do know, they don't bother saying.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Thwomp posted:

Well there is a Party Congress coming up that Un has to look good for.

Does he really though? I mean, it's not like they're going to say anything against him regardless.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Not completely unexpectedly, it appears that Kim is a Mac user. Should've just let Bush nuke him.

Juffo-Wup
Jan 13, 2005

Pillbug

New York Times posted:

Popular sentiment in China, where Mr. Kim has been maligned online as overweight, bumptious and inexperienced, appears to run against the government’s public patience with the North Korean leader.

In a poll on Weibo conducted Friday and Saturday, two-thirds of the 8,000 respondents said they supported a strike by the United States to destroy North Korea’s nuclear weapons program. Eighteen percent of those interviewed said they were against such a strike, and 16 percent said they were neutral.

In a telling signal of official disapproval of the results, Chinese censors had deleted the poll by Sunday afternoon.

Despite its frustration with Mr. Kim and frosty personal relations — Mr. Xi has refused to meet with Mr. Kim — China will probably continue to put up with his behavior, said Shi Yinhong, a professor of international relations at Renmin University.

China is afraid of turning its recalcitrant ally into a worrisome enemy, he said.

Oh my.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Phlegmish posted:

Are these purges just the result of Stalinist paranoia or are there really people openly not 'on his side'? Which seems like a really bad idea.

probaly both. I assume he is either paranoid as poo poo or he is just joffery now.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

I can believe that. all my chinese friends dislike north korea, they see it as backwards shithole.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Phlegmish posted:

Yeah basically nobody knows. These recent executions seem to be always guys who had buddy buddied to China (not really the govt in Beijing, but all of the resource miners and poo poo) and started a bunch of deals when KJI was getting frail. Whether it is actually KJU ordering this or just another faction that KJU aligned with is completely unknown.

Despite what it looks like from the outside, the country has a lot of contention and separate factions within the borders. Cities far from Pyongyang will suddenly start getting treated like poo poo when Pyongyang thinks they are getting too powerful. The airforce wasn't aligned with KJI for a while, which is probably why he never flew anywhere, for example.

In the end nobody knows because getting correct information is impossible. They can't even track who is dead or alive very well, I've seen senior officials get marked off as dead by people who's job it is to watch this poo poo because they haven't shown up at any meetings for 2 years then they'll suddenly reappear 3 years later in the same seat as if nothing happened.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Mar 23, 2021

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

TROIKA CURES GREEK posted:

Probably, you won't hear much complaints about china in general (or about tibet!) from hollywood people these days, because movies can make a lot of money there so long as you don't hurt the feelings of the Chinese people.

I don't think "please don't have us as your racist Other to beat up" is exactly a large or unfair complaint.

And no one gave two shits about Tibet, especially in Hollywood.

Vagon
Oct 22, 2005

Teehee!

computer parts posted:

I don't think "please don't have us as your racist Other to beat up" is exactly a large or unfair complaint.

I was going to say. Tibet? What?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

computer parts posted:

Racest other? Thats bullshit. It sucks that when we have a modern day war movie we can't actually have our soldiers fighting the next biggest military power. There's nothing racist about that, they are a more credible threat than the lazy fill ins we've had recently.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Cliff Racer posted:

Racest other? Thats bullshit. It sucks that when we have a modern day war movie we can't actually have our soldiers fighting the next biggest military power. There's nothing racist about that, they are a more credible threat than the lazy fill ins we've had recently.

... True, actually, when was the last time we had Russia as a villain? That dumbass Tom Clancey poo poo with the stock markets and a van-bomb?

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

computer parts posted:

Oh boo hoo. Agreed that the russian villian needs to make a comeback. Harrison Ford up for a sequal? Air Force Two?

As for Tibet: http://www.cnbc.com/id/100749313

Vagon posted:

I was going to say. Tibet? What?

Seriously? It wasn't that obscure of a thing.

TROIKA CURES GREEK fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Feb 13, 2016

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Hollywood should probably just stop making weird, unrealistic movies which glorify war and demonize America's perceived enemies

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Chomskyan posted:

Hollywood should probably just stop making weird, unrealistic movies which glorify war and demonize America's perceived enemies

Speaking of which, when are they going to greenlight a sequel to Inchon?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Chomskyan posted:

Counterpoint: war movies are entertaining to watch, and not all of them have to converge on "actually, war is hell" as the central theme.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Cliff Racer posted:

No they actually aren't. There is more chance right now of the US fighting Turkish soldiers than Chinese ones right now. And neither of them are going to invade the US.

I love that this article doesn't even name the two Tibet movies that were so controversial.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

computer parts posted:

No they actually aren't. There is more chance right now of the US fighting Turkish soldiers than Chinese ones right now. And neither of them are going to invade the US.

I'd put more stock in this argument if it wasn't used to justify replacing China with North Korea in both of the garbage products talked about in this thread recently. North Korea invading the western US? Ehh, suspension of disbelief. China as an enemy of America? Not so fast, we trade a lot!

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Cliff Racer posted:

I'd put more stock in this argument if it wasn't used to justify replacing China with North Korea in both of the garbage products talked about in this thread recently.

I'm not, I'm saying it's not an unfair request for China to avoid that jingoistic horseshit.

Ideally the basic concept of America being invaded shouldn't exist because it's so far out of reality that it just serves to justify 2nd Amendment fetishists and the like.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

The real problem on the Korean peninsula is that American action movies and Call of Duty sequels aren't realistic enough.

Someone should make a game where you deploy to the DMZ and just spend the whole game digging a poo poo trench in frozen ground.

The twist ending is that you are so constipated from an all-MRE diet that you never get to poo poo in the trench.

Rent-A-Cop fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Feb 13, 2016

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

computer parts posted:

I'm not, I'm saying it's not an unfair request for China to avoid that jingoistic horseshit.

Ideally the basic concept of America being invaded shouldn't exist because it's so far out of reality that it just serves to justify 2nd Amendment fetishists and the like.

An unfair request? No. An unfair demand that can be made because China only lets a certain amount of foreign films be widely screened each year and will dick over companies that do not follow it, even if they don't plan to release that particular film in China anyway? Yes.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Cliff Racer posted:

An unfair request? No. An unfair demand that can be made because China only lets a certain amount of foreign films be widely screened each year and will dick over companies that do not follow it, even if they don't plan to release that particular film in China anyway? Yes.

It's only unfair in that other countries don't do it.

Except other countries do exactly that all the time. Or do you ever wonder why we're not making movies about how the evil German Nazis are coming to invade America?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Hollywood can stop making films that demonise other countries when those other countries cease to make films the demonise the States.

WarpedNaba fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Feb 13, 2016