Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

hooman posted:

After Prime Minister Tony Abbott nothing can hurt me any more.

Those teeth though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

hooman posted:

After Prime Minister Tony Abbott nothing can hurt me any more.

Can we please stop testing that assertion

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2016/feb/12/senate-voting-changes-coalition-wins-over-nick-xenophon-and-greens

R.I.P random weirdo parties.

Probably for the best really though. No real explanation as to why Labor didn't support it.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Zenithe posted:

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2016/feb/12/senate-voting-changes-coalition-wins-over-nick-xenophon-and-greens

Probably for the best really though. No real explanation as to why Labor didn't support it.

Labor opposes the Liberals on principle unless they can gently caress over marginalised people by supporting them.

turdbucket
Oct 30, 2011

Solemn Sloth posted:

Labor opposes the Liberals on principle unless they can gently caress over marginalised people by supporting them.

I wouldn't go that far, labor support th government on principle unless they think it'll cost them votes. The only reason I can think they were against this is to try and make the Greens look bad for apparently attacking other minor parties.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

They're against it because small party preferences tend to flow to them iirc, or at least small parties tend to lean closer to the ALP than the LNP.

turdbucket
Oct 30, 2011
I thought it was the other way around? Didn't the preference deals get Sinodinos elected last election?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Should I have turned down the gig writing speeches for Fiona Nash? I thought this came out pretty good. She's a stand-up comedian right?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-02-11/barnaby-joyce-named-as-new-nationals-leader/7161584

quote:

Senator Fiona Nash has been elected as deputy leader of the Nationals. "Within the next few years we will continue to build on the exceptional work that has been done by the most recent giant of our party, Warren Truss," Mr Joyce said.

"It is going to be a slightly different National Party, quite a different National Party," Senator Nash said. "And we would be doing the same things we have always done, focusing on those people outside the major capital cities, who need us to fight for them."
Change from within, change from within. :thumbsup:

-/-

Can anyone nail this down for me?

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...c3604d470f01ee3

Claims advice was given as a joke.

Driver denies receiving advice.

It's all a big pile of steaming caca at this point

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-10-30/icac-probe-into-top-prosecutor-witness-coaching-claims/5853554

Cunneen outright denies the allegations and claims malicious prosecution.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-02-11/icac-chief-slams-report-against-margaret-cunneen-probe-as-flawed/7158560

Juridiction of ICAC questioned and the High Court rules it out of bounds leading to a report from Inspector David Levine claiming that it was a low point in the "ICAC's history"

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-12-04/icac-inspector-scathing-of-watchdog%27s-actions/7001490

Now the head of the ICAC has struck back and seems to be winning.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-02-11/icac-chief-slams-report-against-margaret-cunneen-probe-as-flawed/7158560

:psyduck:

There are clearly political machinations involved. Anyone know a good reputable source that has done the hard yards?

On the face of it this would appear to be clearly within the intended remit of the ICAC even if the legislation is questionable.

Cunneen seems to be guilty as gently caress and her subsequent perjury (or is it just lying) should result in some consequences. Who deems it worth the candle to protect her?

The subsequent bruhaha constitutes an attack on the ICAC itself which would be fair enough if there has been an abuse of power but it seems more and more to look like a deliberate hatchet job.

All fascinating stuff and anything that gets Ray Hadley to say "Those stout hard working members of the judiciary" rather than "They should just sack all of these out of touch judges." is worth it regardless of the actual facts.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
I'd love to hear the actual Cunneen tape.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/the-icac-...211-gms5dj.html

quote:

"My only reservation, just between you and me, is that, that naughty girl, had alcohol had, had oh no that's all right I can cover that," Ms Cunneen said, according to an excerpt from the recording transcript relayed to Fairfax Media.

"But she had drunk, she's on her P plates. But it had been some time ago which is why I sent her the message to start having chest pains and get the ambulance because it's bought her a few more hours.
Just hoping it goes down to zero cause otherwise there might be complicated insurance issues."

Fairfax Media has also been told by two sources that there was no mention of breast implants in the conversations. This is despite Ms Cunneen publicly stating references to fake chest pains were a joke about Ms Tilley's breast implants.

Whole thing stinks.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Zenithe posted:

The comments acting like this is the end of the world, when really the 1 aboive the line voting was the most insanely abused system in a democracy. As for why Labor is against it it's because they lose votes to both The Greens and Nick Xenophon under this system. Penny Wong especially was terrified of it.

The three Labor most against this were Stephen Conroy, Sam Dastyari and Penny Wong.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

The three private training colleges that collapsed, leaving thousands of students in limbo, received at least $66 million in government-funded student loans.
They had been recently audited by the national regulator and were found to be compliant, with the largest college still under investigation.

As news of the closures trickled to concerned students on Thursday, former employees revealed the colleges recruited students from foster homes, homeless shelters, women's refuges, aged care homes and drug rehabilitation centres.
Aspire College of Education, The Design Works College of Design, the Australian Indigenous College and the affiliated RTO Services Group and National Training and Development were placed in voluntary administration on Tuesday, with at least 500 staff affected.

Aspire College has 20 campuses across Australia, including one in Broadmeadows, where the blinds were drawn on Thursday.
Business student Ahmet Guler said he had "no idea what was going on".
He runs a popular kebab shop next door, on a tiny strip of Pascoe Vale road, which is teeming with training colleges and job service agencies.
The three colleges are owned by Global Intellectual Holdings, one of the country's largest vocational education company, which is also in administration. Global Intellectual Holdings made $83 million in revenue in the year to June 2015 and there are concerns more colleges associated with the company at risk.

A few doors up from Mr Guler's shop is Keystone College – a training college affiliated with the large company that is subject to a regulatory audit.
While company records show Keystone is still registered, the doors of the college were suddenly locked at lunchtime on Thursday, and the lights inside were turned off. A teacher from the college said his pay had been "frozen", and he was told to take his teaching equipment home.
The collapses follows a federal government crackdown on the scandal-plagued vocational education sector, including bans on inducements like free laptops and freezing payments to private colleges to 2015 levels.
Australian Indigenous College student Bianca Chatfield knew something was wrong when the college laid off its cook and campus auntie in early December. The college –which predominantly enrols Indigenous students – then stopped marking her work.
The Brisbane mother was close to finishing a diploma in business and has been left with $16,000 in VET FEE-HELP debt.
"They are teaching a diploma in business but they didn't have business ethics," she said.

It comes as the Victorian government starts a second quality blitz on training colleges, this time focusing on high risk qualifications like security, early childcare education and building and construction courses. The state government has withheld $12 million in funding while it investigates 12 providers with short course durations, high dropout rates and other anomalies.
Since July last year, the Victorian Education Department has started 43 investigations into private colleges and is reclaiming $30 million in funds.
Victorian Training and Skills Minister Steve Herbert called on the federal government to take a more "interventionist" approach. "They need a heavier hand. They need to review how they fund VET FEE-HELP, how they distribute the money and whether they continue funding courses with very low completion rates."

Aloi Burgess, who runs at least 10 different education providers, and his co-director Roger Williams did not return calls on Thursday.
Vocational Education and Skills Minister Luke Hartsuyker said his first priority was the welfare of students.
"There are procedures in place for these situations where providers suddenly close their doors."

VET-FEE HELP providers are required to have tuition assurance, with gives affected students assistance to move to another provider or to receive a refund for incomplete studies.
He said he was unsure how many students had been affected.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

What an unpredictable turn of events.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Cartoon posted:

On the face of it this would appear to be clearly within the intended remit of the ICAC even if the legislation is questionable.

Cunneen seems to be guilty as gently caress and her subsequent perjury (or is it just lying) should result in some consequences. Who deems it worth the candle to protect her?
I went to a talk about this last year (had Richard Ackland, former DPP Nick Cowdery, someone from the Council of Civil Liberies and one of Cuneen's lawyers). Overall they all supported ICAC, including the civil liberties guy who even explicitly said that the coercive powers it has aren't really a problem since it's separate enough from the actual law enforcement apparatus.

The argument about the Cuneen case was more specific, and partly revolved around whether Cuneen's actions constituted official corruption or just an attempt to pervert the course of justice. Ackland made the case (with some support) that it didn't really matter, and that if they couldn't investigate this then they couldn't investigate, say, collusion on a public tender process. The general agreement was that updating the legislation was the best solution.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
I get the feeling that the Cuneen thing has a bit of the legal establishment closing ranks with each other?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Ragingsheep posted:

I get the feeling that the Cuneen thing has a bit of the legal establishment closing ranks with each other?
That too, and people looking to defang ICAC.

Stotman
Jul 17, 2003
Cutting the cost of living
So I'm presently in lockdown inside the Rio Tinto building while the MUA protests outside. CFMEU with them as well. Crowd of about 100/150 maybe? Can't really leave work to go and join therm though, not really the done thing.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
Got him, yes

Stuart Robert is out

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

SKY COQ posted:

Got him, yes

Stuart Robert is out
If this was a little too cryptic for you and you though maybe he was an Australian opening batsman:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-02-12/stuart-robert-to-resign-fom-ministry-abc-understands/7163226

quote:

Stuart Robert to resign from Turnbull ministry following probe into China trip By political correspondent Anna Henderson Updated 13 minutes ago

Stuart Robert is resigning from the Turnbull ministry following an internal report into his conduct, the ABC has confirmed. The move will add to the complexity of the Prime Minister's reshuffle, which is expected this weekend. Labor has been calling for Mr Robert to be sacked over a trip to China in 2014, where he appeared at a signing ceremony for a mining deal between Australian company Nimrod Resources and a Chinese business. The Opposition argued the trip was inappropriate because Nimrod's executive chairman Paul Marks was a generous Liberal Party donor. Mr Robert also met Chinese Government officials during the visit.

The Prime Minister ordered an internal investigation earlier this week, tasking the Secretary of the Department of Prime Minister and Cabinet, Martin Parkinson, with considering Mr Robert's actions. Mr Robert previously said he travelled to China in a personal capacity and not as a Government representative. He said he was confident he did not act inappropriately. The ABC has also been told Mr Robert has routinely used his ministerial office for fundraising events. His response to questions about it was that he uses his office for parliamentary business.

Yesterday the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) says Chinese officials believed they were meeting Mr Robert in an official capacity when he travelled to Beijing last year. Labor senator Penny Wong pressed DFAT head Peter Varghese about the trip during Senate estimates. Senator Wong asked whether it was appropriate that a minister "rock up to one of these meetings" without informing the department first. Mr Varghese said they were questions of judgement for the Minister. Senator Wong also pressed the matter with Graham Fletcher, First Assistant Secretary of the North Asia Division. "It's plain that the company and the Chinese Government thought they were dealing with Mr Robert in his ministerial capacity?" she said. Mr Fletcher responded: "Yes".

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Cartoon posted:

If this was a little too cryptic for you and you though maybe he was an Australian opening batsman:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-02-12/stuart-robert-to-resign-fom-ministry-abc-understands/7163226

Despite knowing what happened I still thought this was a cricketpost. I thought it was amusing that they had a cricketer with the same name getting punted.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

SKY COQ posted:

Got him, yes

Stuart Robert is out

That's what he gets for having two first names.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

quote:

“What is his crime? Can someone please tell me what the crime is here? Because what we have is allegations he met people – if meeting people in China is a crime, then every politician in this building is gone,” Joyce told the Nine Network before the decision was announced.

I agree with Barnaby Joyce. Jail them all!

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

SynthOrange posted:

I agree with known idiot Barnaby Joyce. Jail them all!

Now more applicable than ever.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Barnaby Joyce doesn't understand simple poo poo. Press Gallery don't look up from their Twitter feeds.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Cartoon posted:

Barnaby Joyce doesn't understand simple poo poo. Press Gallery don't look up from their Twitter feeds.

He understands perfectly well, he's just speaking down to his dumb dumb constituents.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

They're not raising the GST it says here on page 12 of the Hun. Apparently the money raised would have to be spent on welfare so no income tax cuts (oh and its not popular with marginal seat Libs) but gosh if we don't do SOMETHING about INCOME TAX we'll LOSE 0.35 OF GDP GUYS!!!!!!

The numbers must be looking poo poo :allears:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

why

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Looks pretty representative to me.

Snod.
Oct 3, 2014

What more could we ask for really?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I put on my shorts and cowboy hat.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Wasn't Barnaby Joyce the guy who is sceptical about climate change because it was cold in Canberra one time

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Anidav posted:

I used to wonder what your point was Anime David but you loving smashed it out of the park with this one.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Recoome posted:

Wasn't Barnaby Joyce the guy who is sceptical about climate change because it was cold in Canberra one time

quote:

You look at the weather today. Look at the way you're dressed. No one thinks it's too hot

-Deputy Prime Minster Barnaby Joyce

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

ewe2 posted:

They're not raising the GST it says here on page 12 of the Hun. Apparently the money raised would have to be spent on welfare so no income tax cuts (oh and its not popular with marginal seat Libs) but gosh if we don't do SOMETHING about INCOME TAX we'll LOSE 0.35 OF GDP GUYS!!!!!!

The numbers must be looking poo poo :allears:

Peter Martin posted:

The most shocking thing in the Treasury analysis delivered to Scott Morrison on January 25 isn't the finding that a cut in income tax funded by a lift in the goods and services tax wouldn't boost the economy at all.
He asked it to model a lift in GST from 10 to 15 per cent and then the handing back of every possible cent in income tax cuts. Because boosting the GST automatically results in extra spending on benefits such as Newstart, family allowances and pensions as prices climb it isn't possible to give all of it back.

But it is possible to hand back $30 billion of the $35 billion as tax cuts, and that's what Morrison asked the Treasury to model in the first instance, not legislated increases in benefits of the kind delivered by his predecessor Peter Costello when introducing the GST.

The impact is horrific.

High earning households do very well. In the top fifth, 81 per cent are better off. In the fifth below that, 80 per cent are better off.

In the bottom fifth, only 9 per cent are better off. Put another way, the change makes 91 per cent of the lowest-earning households worse off.

It makes 79 per cent of the next lowest earning households worse off, and 60 per cent of middle earning households better off.

Morrison had asked the Treasury to model a change that enriched middle and high earners at the expense of the least-well off. And the results tell us something about the nature of the change. It appears to have been one that cut tax rates or adjusted thresholds at the top more than the bottom. All of the Prime Minister's talk about how any change must be fair appears to not have sunk in.

At his request Treasury and its consultants Econtech and KPMG also did sensitivity analysis. What would happen if, say, $6 billion of the tax cuts were diverted to low earners in extra benefits? They found that the more the tax cuts were diverted to benefits, the worse the economic payoff. Econtech found the payoff turned negative. KPMG found it was positive but got weaker the more low earners were compensated.

Morrison will make much of the finding in a later Treasury brief that doing nothing and allowing bracket creep to push people into ever higher tax brackets is set to take 0.35 per cent from GDP over four years. But tax cuts funded by a hike in the GST wouldn't have halted bracket creep, they would have postponed it. And during the time they postponed it, the projected budget deficit would have swelled.

Morrison will be able to deliver income tax cuts, but they will be smaller, funded by a tightening up of superannuation and other tax concessions. There's no realistic prospect of tax cuts being funded by slashing government spending. Treasury believes that at the moment the economy couldn't stand it. Cabinet ministers believe that spending cuts of the size needed to pay for big tax cuts just aren't possible.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Anidav posted:

hahahahah

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Increasing the GST and cutting tax for the rich fucks the poor?

WELL I NEVER.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I can resist posting this no longer (though I'm sure everyone's seen it)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owI7DOeO_yg

hooman posted:

Increasing the GST and cutting tax for the rich fucks the poor?

WELL I NEVER.

They also seem to have forgotten that they were relying on bracket creep to reduce the deficit.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Recoome posted:

While yes, Barnaby did say this, I'm sure you can find similarly damning quotes from every member of the LNP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

quote:

m.theage.com.au Read Later

Doctor fears hidden measles threat after Melbourne anti-vaxer seeks covert help for her infected childby Beau Donelly  Feb. 12, 2016  2 min read  original

A Melbourne surgeon has warned that this week's measles outbreak could be worse than reported after a mother sought medical advice about her infected baby on a secret, anti-vaccination social media page.

In a post on the private Facebook page Vaccine Free Australia, Natasha O'Leary reported her unvaccinated, 12-month-old son had measles and asked members for advice on how to treat highly contagious disease naturally.

Four cases of measles have been confirmed in Brunswick and East Brunswick in the past week.

Members responded with suggestions that she give him cod liver oil, homeopathic remedies, vitamin A and C supplements.

In the post, Ms O'Leary, who runs a hospitality business in Melbourne's western suburbs, said she looked forward to a time "when we don't need secret anti-vax groups!".

John Cunningham, a Melbourne surgeon and spokesman for pro-vaccination group Stop the AVN, said failing to report suspected cases of measles to health authorities would expose other people to the virus.

"We know about four cases, this is now a fifth," he said. 

"It's concerning that if people aren't notifying their local doctor that cases might go unreported and the real instance is underestimated." 

Dr Cunningham said measles cases in Melbourne were likely to increase in the next few weeks and stressed the importance of seeking medical advice as well as alerting doctors about suspected cases before attending waiting rooms where there may be other susceptible people.

He said unvaccinated children who contracted the virus were more likely to be hospitalised, and that children who were too young for the vaccine would be at risk because of the "poor decisions" of some parents. 

"The poor child is suffering now from a disease that has a 1 in 1000 risk of permanent brain damage from encephalitis, which is inflammation of the actual brain tissue," he said.

"The rash that they get isn't just on the skin, it goes through their lungs, through their gastrointestinal track."

His comments follow a health department alert this week warning residents in Melbourne's north to brace for wave of measles cases.

Officials said four people - a man and three women - had contracted the disease in the Brunswick area. 

The state's acting chief health officer Dr Roscoe Taylor said the number of patients could potentially "be very large".

Victorian Health Department spokesman Graeme Walker said on Friday that the number of confirmed measles cases had not risen from four.

Despite Ms O'Leary's suspicions that her son has the virus, Mr Walker said he did not believe measles cases associated with the current cluster had gone unreported to health authorities.

He said it was unlikely because Ms O'Leary lived in Melbourne's west, about 10km from Brunswick.

"It seems to be fairly geographically located," he said. "It's drawing a fairly long bow there, as I said, we've got four cases in Brunswick and that's all that we've got."

When contacted by The Age, Ms O'Leary said she was taking her son to a GP on Friday afternoon and that the case had not yet been confirmed.

She said her son had "a bit of a rash" but was in good spirits and that she was not overly concerned because he was not lethargic or suffering from more severe symptoms.

"My children are third generation not vaccinated," Ms O'Leary said.

"I'm not anti-vaccination, I'm just pro-transparency. I question anything when there's big money involved."

Ms O'Leary said she believed developing naturally immunity was best way to protect her children and that people should not be told what to put in their bodies. 

"I think everyone should have the right to choose, the right to transparency and freedom," she said.

"If it came down to being jailed I would be, this is how strongly I feel about it; the right of the parent to decide what poison to put in a child's body."

Ms O'Leary said her son had not been inside her hospitality business for weeks.

Measles is a virus that lives in the nose and throat mucus of an infected person and spreads through coughing and sneezing. Symptoms include fever, sore throat, red eyes, coughing and the characteristic measles rash.

Children who have not had two measles vaccinations are among the most at risk of contracting the virus.

The measles vaccine is part of the National Immunisation Program for children between 12 months and four years of age.

A community's immunisation rate has to be about 90 per cent for what is known as 'herd immunity' to kick in, according to the National Centre for Immunisation Research and Surveillance.

• Locked thread