Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

i'm thinking we should hold off on SC until the first overreactionary poll, right? the prices, for the most part, seem sane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin
There's very believable Bill Kristol "leaked" SC poll today, he won't say from who so grain of salt and all:

https://twitter.com/BillKristol/status/697824027981832194

I'm of the opinion this was sampled pre-NH but post-debate. No Trump bump, obviously.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Peachstapler posted:

There's very believable Bill Kristol "leaked" SC poll today, he won't say from who so grain of salt and all:

https://twitter.com/BillKristol/status/697824027981832194

I'm of the opinion this was sampled pre-NH but post-debate. No Trump bump, obviously.

I'm of the opinion that he just made it up entirely because it's Bill Kristol.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Noooooooooooooo

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

gently caress you Jim Webb a million times over for filing the stupid FEC paperwork for a presidential race THAT WAS NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN and losing me $5 :argh:

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

i think it's worth $2 buying a few shares of carson dropping out at $.03.

or maybe i'm just feeling oh so burned by carly :argh:

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Abel Wingnut posted:

He ain't droppin out. He wants to siphon as many religious votes from Cruz as possible. If not for Trump, then because Cruz burned him.

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin

Abel Wingnut posted:

That market closes tomorrow so just save your cash. They'll have a new dropout market soon for Kasich, Jeb!, and Friend Ben ("will Carson drop out on or before 2/23?" would be a good one).

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Combed Thunderclap posted:

gently caress you Jim Webb a million times over for filing the stupid FEC paperwork for a presidential race THAT WAS NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN and losing me $5 :argh:

This was my first big loss. Still salty about it

railroad terror
Jul 2, 2007

choo choo
The Webb market was the best because nobody actually realized he announced he was running officially for what, like, 12 hours or something?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

speaking time at the dem debate is 56/44 clinton but isn't that essentially a coinflip?

e: and kasich < 2% is 75/25 yes on feb 29 seems way low. with all these dropouts i have to think his percentage goes up. is the fear he'll drop out after SC? would he really do that?

abelwingnut has issued a correction as of 20:25 on Feb 11, 2016

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Abel Wingnut posted:

speaking time at the dem debate is 56/44 clinton but isn't that essentially a coinflip?

e: and kasich < 2% is 75/25 yes on feb 29 seems way low. with all these dropouts i have to think his percentage goes up. is the fear he'll drop out after SC? would he really do that?

We're getting into pretty crazy territory with the field converging and election results influencing future polling. I know the standard song & dance here is 'don't bet on polls' but seriously, don't bet on polls.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Man, this SC3rd market is hard. Do I bet against JEB!, a historically good bet, or against Rubio, also a safe bet post exposure as a robot? They're both so bad but also just not bad enough to totally place 3rd.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Gyges posted:

Man, this SC3rd market is hard. Do I bet against JEB!, a historically good bet, or against Rubio, also a safe bet post exposure as a robot? They're both so bad but also just not bad enough to totally place 3rd.

Embrace Kasichmentum.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Platystemon posted:

Embrace Kasichmentum.

No, I like my money. My only yes bet is a low bid on Trump coming in 2nd. Everything else is playing the no game. I pray to god my Rubio and Bush bids get filled on 3rd though. Because holy poo poo is everyone else cheap for the slim, slim chance they place 3rd. Kasich will of course have me dancing if he somehow does come in 3rd though thanks to my Bush and Rubio bets both paying off.

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin
I want Bush and Rubio 3RD shares badly but not for 40 cents a pop. A good poll will shake that up.

railroad terror
Jul 2, 2007

choo choo
The only thing I have money on in SC 3rd is Kasich NO. Looking forward to some actual polling and not Bill Kristol trolling for attention

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I immediately bought and flipped a couple hundred SC 3rd Kasich NO shares once they hit .90. Wondering if I should jump back in before the first poll but it's already up to .92

Corrupt Politician
Aug 8, 2007
New market on whether the moderator will mention Gloria Steinem in tonight's debate. Currently at 47c. I'm thinking no, but I'm not confident enough to bet on it. Thoughts?

https://www.predictit.org/Contract/2069/Will-a-PBS-moderator-or-questioner-bring-up-Gloria-Steinem

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

Corrupt Politician posted:

New market on whether the moderator will mention Gloria Steinem in tonight's debate. Currently at 47c. I'm thinking no, but I'm not confident enough to bet on it. Thoughts?

https://www.predictit.org/Contract/2069/Will-a-PBS-moderator-or-questioner-bring-up-Gloria-Steinem

I think it's much more possible than the coin question was.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Gyges posted:

So out of curiosity, why is it that when the polls close they take out risk adjustment fees as they pay out? I'm sure I'm just not thinking of something obvious as I see another fee added to their 5% fee before the total reaches my "wallet".

The profit is what your shares made if they'd all been independent. The risk adjustment is the money they'd already credited you when you purchased the shares. Yes, it's bullshit that they take the best-case scenario when calculating your "profit" instead of what you actually made but hey whatchagonnado

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Necc0 posted:

The profit is what your shares made if they'd all been independent. The risk adjustment is the money they'd already credited you when you purchased the shares. Yes, it's bullshit that they take the best-case scenario when calculating your "profit" instead of what you actually made but hey whatchagonnado

Isn’t what’s technically going on that you’re paying profit on every share that won, not the net profit?

A guaranteed profit on paper can actually be a loss in a linked market.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
Been flipping Steinem YES shares for a while now, I have no idea if they'll actually ask it or not

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

FourLeaf posted:

Been flipping Steinem YES shares for a while now, I have no idea if they'll actually ask it or not

Oh debate markets are a great idea to flip, guaranteed volume

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

They just asked Hillary about the women gap without mentioning Steinem. rip my money

edit oh my god they brought up Albright

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Platystemon posted:

Isn’t what’s technically going on that you’re paying profit on every share that won, not the net profit?

A guaranteed profit on paper can actually be a loss in a linked market.

Yup.

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin

railroad terror posted:

Dang, I didn't get 80 cents for NO, but I did get upper 80s. Kasich, if he's lucky, will double or triple his 1-2% in the polls there on election day.
Upper 80s is still good. His campaign is actually going to Michigan instead of South Carolina. Should tell you all you need to know about betting on Kasich there.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Aliquid posted:

They just asked Hillary about the women gap without mentioning Steinem. rip my money

edit oh my god they brought up Albright

Glad I got out when I did. Flipping is a lot safer. Only made ~$3.00 in profit but it makes me feel a bit better after Carly yesterday.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

FourLeaf posted:

Glad I got out when I did. Flipping is a lot safer. Only made ~$3.00 in profit but it makes me feel a bit better after Carly yesterday.

Was trying to flip, had a sell order at .02 higher than my buy-in price. I forgot the market locks. Sigh.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Protip: if you've made money off TRUMP.SCPRMRY16.GOP sell before Sunday.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Jewel Repetition posted:

Protip: if you've made money off TRUMP.SCPRMRY16.GOP sell before Sunday.

You really think he's going to lose?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

a cop posted:

No, I just think the new polls are going to damage his stock slightly because the race will be tighter. You can buy them up again after the polls are released to RIDE THE WAVE.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Jewel Repetition posted:

No, I just think the new polls are going to damage his stock slightly because the race will be tighter. You can buy them up again after the polls are released to RIDE THE WAVE.

Hmmmm. Think they'll get lower than 60 cents though???

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

a cop posted:

Hmmmm. Think they'll get lower than 60 cents though???

Possibly right at the initial overreaction.

The Real Paddy
Aug 21, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Jewel Repetition posted:

You assume the post-New Hampshire polls will show a decline?

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin

The Real Paddy posted:

You assume the post-New Hampshire polls will show a decline?
Personally I don't think his numbers will decline as much as Cruz' will increase. A tighter race would still negatively impact Trump.

The Real Paddy
Aug 21, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Peachstapler posted:

Personally I don't think his numbers will decline as much as Cruz' will increase. A tighter race would still negatively impact Trump.

This seems possible, but it would also seem appropriate to not dismiss the idea of a bump, or a certain percentage of ex-Rubio, Christie, and Fiorina voters (especially the last two) to go to Trump. Ted Cruz has room to grow, and so does Trump. I have no idea what will happen, I suppose it seems more probable that the race be tighter, but, I don't really think the idea of a Trump bump should be surprising.

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin

The Real Paddy posted:

This seems possible, but it would also seem appropriate to not dismiss the idea of a bump, or a certain percentage of ex-Rubio, Christie, and Fiorina voters (especially the last two) to go to Trump. Ted Cruz has room to grow, and so does Trump. I have no idea what will happen, I suppose it seems more probable that the race be tighter, but, I don't really think the idea of a Trump bump should be surprising.
Not sure if you saw the Opinion Savvy SC poll released today (793 respondents, sampled 2/10-11) but it has Trump at 36.3% and Cruz at 19.6%.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

a cop posted:

Personally I do think he's going to lose. He's still running with baby's first ground game and you can no longer register to vote for the primary in SC. Voter registration deadlines are really going to duck Trump, and to a lesser extent Bernie. Bernie has a ground game and understands the limits, Trump runs a circus and has been surviving off same day registered voters in Iowa and NH.

Cruz, conversely has been planning and setting up for the Southern leg of the primary the whole time. With JEB being JEB and Rubio trying to recover from his error loop, Cruz is looking good. Well, metaphorically anyway, we are talking about Cruz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Gyges posted:

Personally I do think he's going to lose. He's still running with baby's first ground game and you can no longer register to vote for the primary in SC. Voter registration deadlines are really going to duck Trump, and to a lesser extent Bernie. Bernie has a ground game and understands the limits, Trump runs a circus and has been surviving off same day registered voters in Iowa and NH.

Cruz, conversely has been planning and setting up for the Southern leg of the primary the whole time. With JEB being JEB and Rubio trying to recover from his error loop, Cruz is looking good. Well, metaphorically anyway, we are talking about Cruz.

Oh poo poo. Interesting points. Where do you get that Trump has been surviving off of same-day registrants, though?

• Locked thread