Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Golden Goat posted:

Excellent! One more question on that: Is it gonna be difficul as in i'll need levels or difficult as in I'll need a strategy? Cause if it's the latter i'm gonna hit enc to 0% and coast through til I hit chapter 7.

Also gently caress I thought it would end at chapter 5. Why is this game extending itself like this?

Difficult as in you need strategy, level 99 won't help you at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Golden Goat posted:

Why is this game extending itself like this?

That is pretty much The Question when it comes to Bravely Default and one of the reasons it gets mixed reviews from folks when it easily could have gotten praise across the board by just, you know, understanding something called pacing.

I loved it, but it definitely gets filed away with games that were about 40 hours longer than they needed to be and I don't think I'd ever touch it again.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I'm glad in this day and age I can play a bravely game without silly poo poo in it

well, soon

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I'd be fine with chapter 5 if it was new content but it's way more of an issue that when Chapter 4 presents you with the thought you're going to the final dungeon or at least new content and then pulls the from rug underneath you and tells you to redo it all.

At least you can airship around with no-encounters in this version.

Edit:
Fun: Revisiting the Bosses and speculating that we're gonna end up fighting ourselves

Unfun: Running all the way through a dungeon to fight said bosses.

Golden Goat fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Feb 12, 2016

Forest Thief Pud
Dec 26, 2011

Getsuya posted:

That is pretty much The Question when it comes to Bravely Default and one of the reasons it gets mixed reviews from folks when it easily could have gotten praise across the board by just, you know, understanding something called pacing.

I loved it, but it definitely gets filed away with games that were about 40 hours longer than they needed to be and I don't think I'd ever touch it again.

Even without the Groundhog's Day bullshit, you'd still have Anges waffling between being a horrendous piece of poo poo and just being kind of there, you'd still have a really important backstory plot dump being optional(which Anges learns loving nothing from), and your heroes would still save the day by being idiots while not getting punished for trusting the traitor character that's obviously evil and really makes no attempts to hide it.

You'd also still have the problem that a lot of job system games do of really having a couple stupidly good options that eclipse anything else with the rest just kind of being there in comparison. I also feel it's made worse in BD, since the illusion of more depth is shattered because most of your really good or useful options cost 2 or more slots, while you're only given 5 slots to work with. It also doesn't help that the game does everything in it's power to force you to use the Spiritmaster class thanks to it's final battles.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Forest Thief Pud posted:

Even without the Groundhog's Day bullshit, you'd still have Anges waffling between being a horrendous piece of poo poo and just being kind of there, you'd still have a really important backstory plot dump being optional(which Anges learns loving nothing from), and your heroes would still save the day by being idiots while not getting punished for trusting the traitor character that's obviously evil and really makes no attempts to hide it.

You'd also still have the problem that a lot of job system games do of really having a couple stupidly good options that eclipse anything else with the rest just kind of being there in comparison. I also feel it's made worse in BD, since the illusion of more depth is shattered because most of your really good or useful options cost 2 or more slots, while you're only given 5 slots to work with. It also doesn't help that the game does everything in it's power to force you to use the Spiritmaster class thanks to it's final battles.

I think the vast majority of people enjoyed the game more than you did. Agnes wasn't that bad.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I did have the complaint about the giant optional plot dump, though. Like, it's literally the two wisest people they've met all game telling them stuff about literal otherworldly beings and colossal world-shatteringly important stuff.

And then they just kinda go "ok" and move on to the next cutscene. That one I can't disagree with.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Forest Thief Pud posted:

Even without the Groundhog's Day bullshit, you'd still have Anges waffling between being a horrendous piece of poo poo and just being kind of there,

Agnes was cool and fun just like the rest of the party. Sorry you're wrong.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
By that point, if you had been listening, you would have figured out some of what they told you. It just filled in an important blank. and there was actually some left to figure out after it.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I find Agnes acceptable.

Forest Thief Pud
Dec 26, 2011

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Agnes was cool and fun just like the rest of the party. Sorry you're wrong.

She's entirely willing to say "gently caress those child slaves, my job's more important!" in a situation where the party has to sit and twiddle their thumbs anyways, and saving those child slaves would actually be beneficial and help get to the thing Agnes wants to do faster. The only reason she doesn't outright say it is because the rest of the party just speaks up before she can even object to what they should do next.

Also, there's the pageant scene where she's just unbearable and pretty much shits on the people helping her directly in front of their faces. The fact she learns nothing from the history lesson she's given about how the Orthodoxy was a pretty bad thing and then decides to reform it for the sequel anyways doesn't help her case on being a good character either.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

bloodychill posted:

By that point, if you had been listening, you would have figured out some of what they told you. It just filled in an important blank. and there was actually some left to figure out after it.
Right, the player knows what's going on, which just makes it worse that the party is so drat... it's not even that they're ignorant, really. It's not that they don't figure stuff out, it's that they don't ever think that there's anything to be figured out. They're just thick. Totally opaque.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
It was like watching a cat trying to take a hat off, endlessly confused and thick and slightly laughter-inducing.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I thought BD's story was wave after wave of tedious overwrought melodrama and the only reason it goes down so badly is that every single character involved is either an idiot, willfully obtuse or both

'I have a very good reason for doing all this evil, but I would literally rather die than tell you what it is!'

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

BDs story was pretty mediocre but I liked most of the characters and the combat system was ace

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Any thoughs on Dark Cloud 2? Ive been searching for some good PS2 RPGs and this one has good reviews, but never heard about it

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Elias_Maluco posted:

Any thoughs on Dark Cloud 2? Ive been searching for some good PS2 RPGs and this one has good reviews, but never heard about it

it's alright

cute soundtrack, cool aesthetics, fun combat, though it's also got some annoying bits

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eSyj4wTYFM

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Elias_Maluco posted:

It's a game about jumping back between the present and the future where you build stuff and place stuff in the present, and then see the results like 500 years into the future.

It's pretty drat good but long as hell because of all the good mini-games.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Tae posted:

It's a game about jumping back between the present and the future where you build stuff and place stuff in the present, and then see the results like 500 years into the future.

It's pretty drat good but long as hell because of all the good mini-games.

Are these mini games required or optional? I usually hate this kind of poo poo

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Elias_Maluco posted:

They are really fuckin' mandatory for the most part but also usually fun.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
It has stupid picture taking and dungeon golf and giant robot construction parts.

They can also be fun, but man did I hate all three.

That said, if you liked Dark Cloud you will like DC2, and if you didn't play the first one you could play that too and see if you like it.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Dark Cloud 2 came out during that period of time when video games tried to be a little bit of everything. Not all of it comes together but it's weird and unique which is why a lot of people like it.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Elias_Maluco posted:

Golf is completely optional after the first round (you can fail and the game will still advance you). I think fishing is required just once. Taking pictures and inventing are required to an extent. I think anything else you could call a minigame is 100% optional. Maybe if you count Town Building as a minigame, in which case every town needs to be built up to like 70% or so.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I never played the first one either. This seems it could be fun, but I usually not a big fan of mini games, it's mostly half assed games inside another game and only detract from the experience.

What other ps2 RPGs you guys recommend?

I'm just finished FF10 and mostly liked it, and FF 12 is probably my favorite JRPG since the PS1 era (I haven't played many). I recently tried Suikoden 3 and couldn't get past chapter 2. I've played some DQ8 too and it didn't impressed me much, but perhaps I should try again.

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013

Elias_Maluco posted:

I never played the first one either. This seems it could be fun, but I usually not a big fan of mini games, it's mostly half assed games inside another game and only detract from the experience.

I'm just finished FF10 and mostly liked it, and FF 12 is probably my favorite JRPG since the PS1 era (I haven't played many). I recently tried Suikoden 3 and couldn't get past chapter 2. I've played some DQ8 too and it didn't impressed me much, but perhaps I should try again.

Persona 3 and 4 are great PS2 JRPG's if you haven't played them. They've got a sort of life sim aspect to them when you aren't exploring dungeons. Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne has a Pokemon-like monster collection aspect if you're into that.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Elias_Maluco posted:

Tales of the Abyss is a pretty solid entry in the Tales of series, people seem to be kinda split on its writing and cast but personally I think all the characters are cool and likable and develop in pretty interesting ways throughout the course of the story, and I'd say it has one of the more solid plotlines of any Tales of game.

Tales of Legendia is the most unusual entry in the Tales of series, it doesn't share many heavy similarities to other entries and while it apparently feels a bit unfinished in parts, it's supposed to have some generally cool story stuff and has absolutely the best soundtrack in the entire series.

Wild Arms 3 and 5 generally seem to be viewed positively, though 3 moreso than 5. They're both anime western sci-fi jrpgs, though they seem to take it in different directions from each other. Wild Arms Alter Code F is also on PS2, and it's supposed to be a pretty solid remake of the original PS1 game.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Probottt posted:

Persona 3 and 4 are great PS2 JRPG's if you haven't played them. They've got a sort of life sim aspect to them when you aren't exploring dungeons. Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne has a Pokemon-like monster collection aspect if you're into that.

Don't forget the DDS games, which have more traditional party and progression systems.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
I've also heard positive things about Steambot Chronicles, Radiata Stories and Shadow Hearts.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Sorry I can't offer any PS2 JRPG recs apart from Xensaga and I suspect I might be shot for doing that.

I was thinking of WRPG though and a peculiar thought just struck me. I can't think of a single WRPG on the PS2. Of that generation, the games I know of like Morrowind, Fable, KOTOR, Jade Empire? All on Xbox only. Is there some technical reason for this?

I'm remembering how mad I was back in the day since I only had a PS2.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

NikkolasKing posted:

I was thinking of WRPG though and a peculiar though tjust struck me. I can't think of a single WRPG on the PS2. Of that generation, the games I know of like Morrowind, Fable, KOTOR, Jade Empire? All on Xbox only. Is there some technical reason for this?
None at all, why do you ask?

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

The Colonel posted:

Tales of the Abyss is a pretty solid entry in the Tales of series, people seem to be kinda split on its writing and cast but personally I think all the characters are cool and likable and develop in pretty interesting ways throughout the course of the story, and I'd say it has one of the more solid plotlines of any Tales of game.

Tales of Legendia is the most unusual entry in the Tales of series, it doesn't share many heavy similarities to other entries and while it apparently feels a bit unfinished in parts, it's supposed to have some generally cool story stuff and has absolutely the best soundtrack in the entire series.

Wild Arms 3 and 5 generally seem to be viewed positively, though 3 moreso than 5. They're both anime western sci-fi jrpgs, though they seem to take it in different directions from each other. Wild Arms Alter Code F is also on PS2, and it's supposed to be a pretty solid remake of the original PS1 game.

I personally can't stand the soundtrack in Legendia. It feels like generic orchestral stuff compared to the other games where the music seemed to fit perfectly.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Thanks for the recommendations, I think I will try Tales of Abyss first, I really enjoyed the last Tales game Ive played (in the SNES)

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Elias_Maluco posted:

Nocturne, Odin Sphere, Minstrel Song (Warning SaGa game), Valk Profile 2

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I liked RIngabel and the sassy chick from BD, the main dude was literally a piece of wood and the main heroine chick was...uh...

The story never seemed too important overall. I was astonished they actually attempted to shoe-horn in some world building at the end, but after the first reset the story had already totally lost me.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Kild posted:

Nocturne, Odin Sphere, Minstrel Song (Warning SaGa game), Valk Profile 2

odin sphere has a rerelease coming out real soon that looks like an improvement in pretty much every way!

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
So I'm playing FF6 for the first time and Kefka just did his thing. Should I use a guide to recruit all the characters or will the optional ones be fairly obvious? I already have no idea how to rerecruit Terra but I guess that could just require time to pass.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Come back for Terra after you get the airship. Everyone else is pretty straight forward, besides Shadow. Just look up a guide after you find him (assuming he survived the floating continent).

Scrap Dragon fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Feb 13, 2016

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

PS2 had a few western action RPGs. Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance and Champions of Norrath and their sequels off the top of my head but there were probably a few more.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

WrightOfWay posted:

PS2 had a few western action RPGs. Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance and Champions of Norrath and their sequels off the top of my head but there were probably a few more.

Summoner!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
I remember there being a fair amount of love for Summoner but I also heard it didn't age well.

I also am just now remembering how Volition (or someone?) animated that Dead Alewives sketch about DnD with characters from Summoner and Red Faction and it was pretty great.