Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mitt Romney posted:

What would it take to educate the American public on how marginal tax brackets work? They should heavily embed it in high school or something.

Marginal tax brackets are inherently unintuitive because of the nature of their existence. It gets even worse as you add more brackets. Really the best solution is probably to just make an "effective" tax rate and teach people what that is.

So as a simple example: If the tax brackets are as follows:

- $0-$50,000: pay 0%

-$50,000+ : pay 50%

Then someone who's paid $75,000 pays an effective rate of (50,000*0 + 25,000*0.5)/75,000 = 16.7% effective rate.

And people don't even need to know the calculations behind it, just make a calculator app that does it for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
e: dp

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Luigi Thirty posted:

School shooting in Glendale, AZ. 2 shot, 1 dead, situation under control.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/glendale-independence-high-school

For a brief moment, I forgot this was happening at epidemic levels.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Jesus loving Christ

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Yeah uh those two stories back to back make me want to close this thread and not read it for a few days!

edit: and maybe start drinking at 11 am

at work

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Luigi Thirty posted:

School shooting in Glendale, AZ. 2 shot, 1 dead, situation under control.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/glendale-independence-high-school

*brings out step ladder to reset the "_______ DAYS SINCE A SCHOOL SHOOTING" sign*

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

computer parts posted:

Marginal tax brackets are inherently unintuitive because of the nature of their existence. It gets even worse as you add more brackets. Really the best solution is probably to just make an "effective" tax rate and teach people what that is.

So as a simple example: If the tax brackets are as follows:

- $0-$50,000: pay 0%

-$50,000+ : pay 50%

Then someone who's paid $75,000 pays an effective rate of (50,000*0 + 25,000*0.5)/75,000 = 16.7% effective rate.

And people don't even need to know the calculations behind it, just make a calculator app that does it for them.
If you try to explain to people what an effective tax rate is, they will give up trying to understand because it becomes "complicated".

I think the best thing to do is just repeat over and over "it is impossible to make less money after taxes by earning a larger salary". Because, in your example, many people think that they would owe $0 if they made $49999, and $25000 if they had a slightly larger salary of $50000. If you just repeat that this scenario is impossible enough because it would mean making less money after taxes by earning a larger salary, eventually they'll ask you to explain. Maybe in the moment of explanation they will understand, though they probably wouldn't be able to repeat back exactly why a week later. But they would at least remember that it is impossible to make less money after taxes with a larger salary, which is the important thing.

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

*brings out step ladder to reset the "_______ DAYS SINCE A SCHOOL SHOOTING" sign*
Just pay the upfront cost for the digital display that you can update over Bluetooth with an app. It will pay for itself in no time.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I mean if those guys had their way, we would be exactly like El Salvador with no access to contraception or abortion. So they are totally cool with this.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
If the person you're talking to can't comprehend tax brackets, back away from them slowly and don't make any sudden movements because they're clearly stupid as hell. It is quite literally middle school level math (piecewise functions)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Reminder (again) that making average people do a bunch of math to file their taxes is perpetuated by TurboTax to give itself a reason to exist.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Radbot posted:

If the person you're talking to can't comprehend tax brackets, back away from them slowly and don't make any sudden movements because they're clearly stupid as hell. It is quite literally middle school level math (piecewise functions)
A large swath of the population is unable to do literally middle school level math, yet they get to vote.

The left needs to learn to put important concepts into easily digestible sound bite form like the right does, or continue getting dominated in state and congressional elections by "common sense" Republicans.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

haveblue posted:

Reminder (again) that making average people do a bunch of math to file their taxes is perpetuated by TurboTax to give itself a reason to exist.

i'm actually curious but did turbotax get its poo poo pushed in wrt charging for things?

i used it this year and it was saying how this year was special since all of their basic services were free but then it crammed their premium services down my throat at every opportunity

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Business Gorillas posted:

i used it this year and it was saying how this year was special since all of their basic services were free but then it crammed their premium services down my throat at every opportunity

They all do this. I usually use TaxAct and it asks you several times if you want to upgrade. It's looking like I might have to run with Turbo Tax this year since the TaxAct website isn't working properly for me for some reason.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

fknlo posted:

They all do this. I usually use TaxAct and it asks you several times if you want to upgrade. It's looking like I might have to run with Turbo Tax this year since the TaxAct website isn't working properly for me for some reason.

just do them yourself using the IRS's online stuff. unless you have a complicated tax situation it's very easy.

our terrible math instruction is why so many americans are terrified of simple arithmetic. its for that reason that i'm a big common core supporter, as the methods taught there are far easier to use.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Inferior Third Season posted:

If you try to explain to people what an effective tax rate is, they will give up trying to understand because it becomes "complicated".

Nope, just say "go to [website] and it'll calculate it for you".

Keep in mind this is also in tandem with a shift in media narrative. Right now the media reports on "Top rates are [x]" which gets people thinking "Rich people pay [x] in taxes".

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

I think the best thing to do is just repeat over and over "it is impossible to make less money after taxes by earning a larger salary".

Empirically this isn't true when you start accounting for lovely payroll systems. It's why it's hard to overcome.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

There's a lot of people for whom a very complicated tax code and a mystified electorate benefit.

Not anyone who should be benefiting from it of course.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
DeRay made two web videos for his mayoral campaign, which you can watch here. Campaign slogan: "Love is the why".

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

haveblue posted:

I've actually had some success in putting a few cracks in the conservative mental armor with multiple people using this exact topic. I used http://www.vox.com/2014/4/11/5603974/taxes-dont-have-to-suck as a source. If I could get them to watch the video and engage in discussion with me afterwards I could see the mental gears turning trying to digest the idea that government can unambiguously do something better and the "free market" (for the warped and hosed up definition in America) is directly screwing them specifically for privatized profit. I don't expect it to break their world view and turn them completely around but even getting started in breaking that mental hold is a huge first step.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Alright I don't want to hear another thing from you motherfuckers about how Ted Cruz can't pass legislation..
https://twitter.com/nielslesniewski/status/698190690652680192

quote:

As the hold on the State Department nominees was lifted, Cruz managed to secure Senate passage, also by voice vote, of a measure to designate the area outside the new Chinese Embassy along Van Ness Street in Northwest D.C., as the “Liu Xiaobo Plaza.” That would honor the pro-democracy leader and longtime political prisoner.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

A large swath of the population is unable to do literally middle school level math, yet they get to vote.

It's such bullshit. There really needs to be some sort of common minimum test voters have to pass, maybe something as simple as literacy

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

It's such bullshit. There really needs to be some sort of common minimum test voters have to pass, maybe something as simple as literacy

A small fee would keep the riffraff out, in my opinion.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

And we don't want to make people take the same tests over and over again. Maybe we can "grandfather" them in if they've already shown enough aptitude.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the day, "We haven't actually made direct contact with aliens yet." ~ Barack Obama, lying, obviously.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Wasn't the whole deal with literacy tests that whites didn't have to take them at all?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Joementum posted:

Quote of the day, "We haven't actually made direct contact with aliens yet." ~ Barack Obama, lying, obviously.

So that's confirming indirect contact, right?

Radbot posted:

Wasn't the whole deal with literacy tests that whites didn't have to take them at all?

It was up to the local election official. So completely fair!

You know, the angry old white person who sounded so deflated when she found my name on the voter rolls and it matched my ID.

VelvetRiver
Dec 1, 2014

Radbot posted:

Sometimes. Often they were designed in a way that an answer could be interpreted as correct or incorrect based on who was taking the test.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Trabisnikof posted:

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

computer parts posted:

Nope, just say "go to [website] and it'll calculate it for you".

Keep in mind this is also in tandem with a shift in media narrative. Right now the media reports on "Top rates are [x]" which gets people thinking "Rich people pay [x] in taxes".

That's fine, but the problem is that people need at least an intuitive sense of "I can't make less money if I get a raise" in order to have any kind of reasonable public discourse on taxes. If you don't understand that, you literally cannot comprehend how any changes to the tax code will affect you.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

How are y'all celebrating the 10th anniversary of Dick Cheney shooting a man in the face?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

zoux posted:

How are y'all celebrating the 10th anniversary of Dick Cheney shooting a man in the face?
I would say 'return the favor' but Lowtax doesn't need another visit from the Secret Service

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Paradoxish posted:

That's fine, but the problem is that people need at least an intuitive sense of "I can't make less money if I get a raise" in order to have any kind of reasonable public discourse on taxes. If you don't understand that, you literally cannot comprehend how any changes to the tax code will affect you.

And the reason why people don't know that is that they hear tax bracket and think "If I make over a certain amount of money, I get taxed more". Note that that's not even false, it's just only applicable for a certain pool of money.

It's a fundamental problem with the way tax brackets work. It's much easier to give people a calculator and show them that their rate doesn't go up by much (if at all) if they get a raise.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

computer parts posted:

And the reason why people don't know that is that they hear tax bracket and think "If I make over a certain amount of money, I get taxed more". Note that that's not even false, it's just only applicable for a certain pool of money.

It's a fundamental problem with the way tax brackets work. It's much easier to give people a calculator and show them that their rate doesn't go up by much (if at all) if they get a raise.

But their take home could seem to decrease on their actual paycheck which is part of the problem.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Let's remember that for most of these people this idea of "oh no not a raise leading to higher taxes" isn't even happening, they're just concerned that when They Finally Make It they're going to be taxed more.

No one has ever turned down a raise due to increasing tax brackets.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

computer parts posted:

Not to mention that at some point it stops going up at all.

zoux posted:

Let's remember that for most of these people this idea of "oh no not a raise leading to higher taxes" isn't even happening, they're just concerned that when They Finally Make It they're going to be taxed more.

Also because of the media glorifying the .01%, what counts as making it is now so unrealistic that no one ever feels like they've "made it".

Gynocentric Regime fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Feb 12, 2016

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

zoux posted:

Yeah but even with that in mind an effective tax rate changes the calculus.

A guy saying "my taxes are 15% but if i'm rich I'll pay 20%" is a lot more benign than "my taxes are 15% but if I'm rich I'll pay 35%!"

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

zoux posted:

I've actually heard people argue they refused a promotion because the taxes made the extra money not worth the extra work. I'm not saying their story is true, but that's at least the world they live in.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Trabisnikof posted:

What does that mean exactly? Like, we have secret evidence they're out there, observing us, but no one's actually said anything to each other?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Freakazoid_ posted:

What does that mean exactly? Like, we have secret evidence they're out there, observing us, but no one's actually said anything to each other?

We have evidence they exist but can't communicate, or evidence they did exist but we have no proof they still do, or the lizard people have met the aliens but humans haven't yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Freakazoid_ posted:

We flew the helicopter with the light display up to the saucer but so far we have.....wait....something is happening......

• Locked thread