Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

I've been real busy, so apologies if you've all already gone over it to death, but laffo and also smdh at Louisiana and what they've done to their universities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

*brings out step ladder to reset the "_______ DAYS SINCE A SCHOOL SHOOTING" sign*

Police confirmed two dead, both 15 year old girls. Welp.

Pinely
Jul 23, 2013
College Slice
There really ought to be a High School course dedicated to finance across the US. Individual school districts do it, but it's so uneven that it's basically meaningless.

Though I imagine the financial and tax industry would fight such an effort tooth and nail. I work for one of the big brokerage firms and its astounding how little even high earners know about the basics of taxes and investing. A lot of them have never done their own taxes.

Really, the only thing stopping Vanguard from completely taking over is the relative ignorance of most investors.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I think this is more broadly relevant to U.S. politics than just the democratic primary, so:

DNC rolls back Obama ban on contributions from federal lobbyists

quote:

The Democratic National Committee has rolled back restrictions introduced by presidential candidate Barack Obama in 2008 that banned donations from federal lobbyists and political action committees.

The decision, which may provide an advantage to Hillary Clinton’s candidacy, was viewed with disappointment Friday morning by good government activists who saw it as a step backward in the effort to limit special interest influence in Washington.

The change in the rules, already apparent to leading Washington lobbyists, was quietly introduced at some point during the past couple of months.

The only portion of the old rules now remaining in place is that lobbyists and PAC representatives will still not be able to attend events that feature Obama, Vice President Biden or their spouses, according to Mark Paustenbach, deputy communications director for the DNC.

“The DNC’s recent change in guidelines will ensure that we continue to have the resources and infrastructure in place to best support whoever emerges as our eventual nominee,” Paustenbach said in an email. “Electing a Democrat to the White House is vital to building on the progress we’ve made over the last seven years, which has resulted in a record 71 straight months of private-sector job growth and nearly 14 million new jobs.”

The DNC’s recent, sweeping reversal of the previous ban on donations from lobbyists and political action committees was confirmed by three Democratic lobbyists who said they have already received solicitations from the committee. The lobbyists requested anonymity to speak freely about the committee’s decision, which has been otherwise kept quiet.

For the most part, they said, the DNC is back to pre-2008 business as usual. The DNC has even hired a finance director specifically for PAC donations who has recently emailed prospective donors to let them know that they can now contribute again, according to an email that was reviewed by The Washington Post.

Because that's a smart thing to do in the middle of a presidential race that's been hugely yoogely characterized by the enormous influence of lobbyist money over the process.

Great work, DWS! :downsbravo:

ex post facho fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Feb 12, 2016

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
I wonder where the US would rank if there was a stat on "number of students killed at school every year"

Probably not at the top, because cases of schools getting blown up in war zones would lead, but we'd be up there

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Fried Chicken posted:

I wonder where the US would rank if there was a stat on "number of students killed at school every year"

Probably not at the top, because cases of schools getting blown up in war zones would lead, but we'd be up there

Highest amongst developed nations, at least.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Luigi Thirty posted:

School shooting in Glendale, AZ. 2 shot, 1 dead, situation under control.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/glendale-independence-high-school

Is it wrong that i am more shocked at the low body count then anything else and that this poo poo has become so routine that the news articles are just blurbs now if the body count is under 5.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

a shameful boehner posted:

Great work, DWS! :downsbravo:

Why are you such a misogynistic anti-semite?!?!?!

/dwsburn

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Why are you such a misogynistic anti-semite?!?!?!

/dwsburn

If you support Sanders and don't like DWS, you are rabidly anti-Semitic. Sorry man.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Lets see if we can keep from getting this thread gassed too!

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I'm sure I know the answer to this already, but are there any Republican restrictions on campaigns accepting contributions from lobbyahahaha I don't even need to finish the sentence

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

I'm sure I know the answer to this already, but are there any Republican restrictions on campaigns accepting contributions from lobbyahahaha I don't even need to finish the sentence

There's a minimum is about all.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

"You must be this white male to ride"

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Freakazoid_ posted:

What does that mean exactly? Like, we have secret evidence they're out there, observing us, but no one's actually said anything to each other?

Maybe he's referring to the signals we can't explain yet?

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Trabisnikof posted:

Lets see if we can keep from getting this thread gassed too!

Not appreciating the anti semitism itt

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

zoux posted:

National.

Jeb Bush though huh? He's pushing double digits!

Jebmentum?

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Business Gorillas posted:

Not appreciating the anti semitism itt

How many alt accounts does DWS have here?!

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=135pYusFV_k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oP4Xasc1t7Q

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Did you mean to post these in a different thread? Cause this isn't the Dem primary thread...

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Trabisnikof posted:

Did you mean to post these in a different thread? Cause this isn't the Dem primary thread...

Nah, I did it on purpose since I think it's hilarious that election discussion in USPol is forbidden because the die-hard Hillary supporters who regularly post in this thread can't bear to hear about how well Bernie is doing.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Noam Chomsky posted:

Nah, I did it on purpose since I think it's hilarious that election discussion in USPol is forbidden because the die-hard Hillary supporters who regularly post in this thread can't bear to hear about how well Bernie is doing.

Well, good on you for having the self-control to avoid stirring up the pot.

:rolleyes:

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Noam Chomsky posted:

Both groups are insufferable.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

On Terra Firma posted:

this. i like both(bernie a bit more) but i get bored and annoyed watching them play purity games and bitch at each other. both are better alternatives to trump/cruz/the rest of the GOP.

also. update on the shooting. the shooter was a girl, and shot another girl, then herself.
http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/12/us/arizona-high-school-shooting/index.html

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

zoux posted:

How are y'all celebrating the 10th anniversary of Dick Cheney shooting a man in the face?

Admiring the signed script of TDS from that episode. :smuggo:

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

On Terra Firma posted:

Clearly the south park method of both being equally the same is the way to go. Mocking is a lot easier than having an actual opinion.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

this. i like both(bernie a bit more) but i get bored and annoyed watching them play purity games and bitch at each other. both are better alternatives to trump/cruz/the rest of the GOP.

I think Bernie is in a hard spot since if he hits Hillary too hard then her PAC and defenders could say he's a bully.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Noam Chomsky posted:

I don't know if you realize this yet, but it's possible to discuss the election without insufferably cheerleading for your candidate of choice.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Trabisnikof posted:

I've actually heard people argue they refused a promotion because the taxes made the extra money not worth the extra work. I'm not saying their story is true, but that's at least the world they live in.

People who structure their whole lives around how to evade paying taxes (eg residency, income, etc) are really sad.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

People who structure their whole lives around how to evade paying taxes (eg residency, income, etc) are really sad.

Yeah it really shows a complete disconnect with the community and the social contract taxing represents. Sure I can hate how it gets used or the rules we as society choose, but drat if roads, schools, a legal system, science, etc make it all worth it.

Sometimes it is just tragedy-of-the-commons.jpg, and sometimes it is really just ignorance about the vast systemic benefits of living in our society and the value we all gain from our government and the taxes that fund it.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
My favorite part of the Dem primary is that its so similar to 2008. Even for the 2008 primary people were saying ohh Hillary had more support from the black community. Ha. Ha. Ha. Hillarists always use the same tactics: You have to vote for Hillary or you hate women! you have to vote Hillary or you hate miniorities! and then as Hillary's dream of being The First Woman President slowly slips from her grasp she turns into a vicious hyena and everyone see's her for who she is: A shill with a huge ego who thinks she deserves to be the first woman president of the USA.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Reason posted:

My favorite part of the Dem primary is that its so similar to 2008. Even for the 2008 primary people were saying ohh Hillary had more support from the black community. Ha. Ha. Ha. Hillarists always use the same tactics: You have to vote for Hillary or you hate women! you have to vote Hillary or you hate miniorities! and then as Hillary's dream of being The First Woman President slowly slips from her grasp she turns into a vicious hyena and everyone see's her for who she is: A shill with a huge ego who thinks she deserves to be the first woman president of the USA.

YCS with you.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Pinely posted:

There really ought to be a High School course dedicated to finance across the US. Individual school districts do it, but it's so uneven that it's basically meaningless.

Though I imagine the financial and tax industry would fight such an effort tooth and nail. I work for one of the big brokerage firms and its astounding how little even high earners know about the basics of taxes and investing. A lot of them have never done their own taxes.

Really, the only thing stopping Vanguard from completely taking over is the relative ignorance of most investors.

Ideally yeah, but what gets dropped from the existing curriculum to fit it in?

And keep in mind that when we are anecdotally noting what we should have learned in school it is with what we already did built in. We undervalue learning some things because the fact we did learn them makes us blind to the troubles we'd be having if we hadn't.

Education policy is not a small topic and is really hard

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Reason posted:

:frogout: :getout:

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
I think this may be the first time I've seen people melt down over their preferred candidate doing well.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Fried Chicken posted:

And keep in mind that when we are anecdotally noting what we should have learned in school it is with what we already did built in. We undervalue learning some things because the fact we did learn them makes us blind to the troubles we'd be having if we hadn't.

I have a long thing I wrote on this somewehre, I'll try and dig it up.

Pinely
Jul 23, 2013
College Slice
Mentioned it elsewhere, but I think that DNC change was a reaction to the Republicans. Per the article the change was months ago, which lines up with the time when everyone was going nuts about how much Jeb!'s PACs had.

Short sighted, but I think the DNC doesn't really want the high ground if it means being short on money for the smaller elections.

Campaign finance reform is like gerrymandering. Everyone agrees that it's hosed, but no one wants to unilaterally disarm. I'm sure if Bernie gets the nom it'll be rolled back again, but the DNC probably bets they can get money at least for the time being.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Pinely posted:

I'm sure if Bernie gets the nom it'll be rolled back again.

I hope not. It's going to take a lot of money to combat the billion dollars that will get spent on the "Yes, I will raise taxes" ads.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I am not happy Republicans are attempting to influence medical practices in other countries because of political fairy dust.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Politics is cool and good, but as has been said there are many threads about presidents.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Fried Chicken posted:

I know I shouldn't, I really, really shouldn't but it's almost pathological. One topic I absolutely cannot resist on Face-space-twitter is those mouth breathing poo poo heads spewing the memes about the common core math homework assignment their kids got and just :shrek: in their own smugly superior ignorance about how smart they are that they can understand how stupid and useless this technique is. It hits every one of my buttons and just drives me up a god drat wall to see someone be so completely assured that their existence as the Platonic ideal of 'Ignorant rear end in a top hat' means that obviously this thing is wrong, why should I spend ten seconds trying to learn about it? It's so obviously wrong because I'm right so we shouldn't even bother understanding what it is and what it can do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Nonsense posted:

I am not happy Republicans are attempting to influence medical practices in other countries because of political fairy dust.

Yeah, but at least it isn't trying to criminalize homosexuality because of political fairy dust....this time....

• Locked thread