Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Flippinlikebirds posted:

Is there any kind of explanation for the different designs in Endless Waltz? Are we watching an alternate universe where all the events of Wing happened, but the Gundams had different designs? Or did the pilots alter the designs after the events of Wing?

i think the official explanation is "don't worry about it". The real world reason is of course that they got Katoki to redesign them for the OVA, presumably to sell new models. But ultimately, does it really matter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

It does if you think the EW redesigns are inferior to the originals. :(

They're not like the worst I've ever seen or anything, they just don't do as much for me.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I prefer the EW Heavyarms and Sandrock, if only because they're actually different from the non-upgraded ones. Also tv Altron is just incredibly ugly to me

Flippinlikebirds
Feb 2, 2007
I'm an ideas man Michael. I think I proved that with Fuck Mountain.
They are all way cooler. Except green heavyarms.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

So the second Thunderbolt OVA came out in the thread downtime, and it was pretty good.

I was really impressed with it, yeah. I liked that the episode was about 60-70% Io and Daryl's backstory, the animation was gorgeous, and I'm sad we're only getting 60 minutes of footage total.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Flippinlikebirds posted:

They are all way cooler. Except green heavyarms.

The TV Wing Zero looks more like a giant robot, and the Tallgeese I and II (and the Epyon) are way sexier than the III.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I like EW Heavyarms more but that's about it.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Tallgeese I and the Epyon are like the best robot designs.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
The Epyon's transformation is too silly

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

EW Heavyarms is amazing, I like EW Sandrock a bit more, and I like the rest about as much as I like their normal versions. (As in, I dislike both versions of Deathscythe Hell equally.)

But then again I don't have a problem with Proto Zero so :shrug:

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Epyon is one of the few transforming gundam robots I like in both forms, mostly because it actually does something with the legs

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Droyer posted:

Epyon is one of the few transforming gundam robots I like in both forms, mostly because it actually does something with the legs

But what it does with the legs is so silly.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

boom boom boom posted:

But what it does with the legs is so silly.

Boom, i'm sorry you had to find out this way, but it's time you knew.

Robots are silly

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

boom boom boom posted:

But what it does with the legs is so silly. METAL

Don't tell me you don't want legs that turn into dragon heads. Everyone wants that. It's a universally shared part of the human experience.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The Epyon is so cool that Megatron based his Transmetal 2 form in Beast Wars on it.

If it's good enough for Megatron it's good enough for me.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Raxivace posted:

The Epyon is so cool that Megatron based his Transmetal 2 form in Beast Wars on it.

If it's good enough for Megatron it's good enough for me.

Well "Megatron" did design the Epyon so....

I never really did figure out how he did that though. The Five Mad Scientists made Wing Zero and the Zero System but how Treize made his own Zero System and Super Gundam is beyond me.

I guess it's because he's Treize and I'm willing to accept that answer.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Feb 12, 2016

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
The bad guys in Endless Waltz have weird uniforms too. I'll get to that one eventually.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

SeanBeansShako posted:

The bad guys in Endless Waltz have weird uniforms too. I'll get to that one eventually.

Didn't they have like feathers in their hats?

Who did that, historically? Now I 'm actually wondering.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

Didn't they have like feathers in their hats?

Who did that, historically? Now I 'm actually wondering.

The feather thing was a pretty common identifier in hats for centuries before they evolved into plumes and pom poms.

You know who has the weirdest uniforms in anime when it comes to their characters tone? The Martian Successors in that Nadesico movie. Look it up kids.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

SeanBeansShako posted:

The feather thing was a pretty common identifier in hats for centuries before they evolved into plumes and pom poms.

You know who has the weirdest uniforms in anime when it comes to their characters tone? The Martian Successors in that Nadesico movie. Look it up kids.

I remember reading in history class that swedish soldiers put feathers in their clothes to identify each other before they had a proper uniform designed.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I imagine that was a 16th or 17th century thing yeah. When uniform was more 'a bunch of cheap mostily convinient clothing the pursers/owner of the regiment would buy that vaugely matched' sort of thing.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

SeanBeansShako posted:

That'd require me to acknowledge that Prince of Darkness existed, and I absolutely refuse to do that.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I don't blame you. It sucked.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Blaze Dragon posted:

That'd require me to acknowledge that Prince of Darkness existed, and I absolutely refuse to do that.

At first I thought you were talking about the John Carpenter movie and was about to fight you.

Then I remembered.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOiE0LCu6J0

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

So the second Thunderbolt OVA came out in the thread downtime, and it was pretty good. I was impressed with how they managed to compress the relevant emotional, character-based stuff into such little screentime while preserving its glorious melodramatic kick, and they've left themselves with a relatively generous amount of time to cover the remainder of the Thunderbolt Sector arc.

Anyone else given it a watch yet?

it's gettin too real for me man. jesus christ.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
A lot of strong stuff going on in Thunderbolts. Also, I caught a glimse of THUNDERBALL.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Thunderbolt doesn't have a happy ending for anyone does it? The loving Balls have kill counts.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Out of the EW redesigns, I like Deathscythe and Heavyarms the best, and am neutral on the other three.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Doesn't seem like anyone here cares for Wing Zero Custom which I heard was one of the most popular suits in the series.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Why does thunderbolt only come out every month and a half? is it because of how high-quality it is? It's the first gundam anything that's caught my attention for real.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

NikkolasKing posted:

Doesn't seem like anyone here cares for Wing Zero Custom which I heard was one of the most popular suits in the series.

I'll be the outlier in the thread then and say that the Endless Waltz Wing Zero is one of my favourite Gundams ever. The angel wings are amazing and I love the silly pose it does in SRW games after killing things with the Twin Buster Rifle.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Al-Saqr posted:

Why does thunderbolt only come out every month and a half? is it because of how high-quality it is? It's the first gundam anything that's caught my attention for real.

They're OVAs is why. They can follow whatever schedule they want really

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ImpAtom posted:

I like EW Heavyarms more but that's about it.

I just want Bandai to stop jerking us around and start releasing EW RG's that aren't the Wing Gundam already :argh:.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

So the second Thunderbolt OVA came out in the thread downtime, and it was pretty good. I was impressed with how they managed to compress the relevant emotional, character-based stuff into such little screentime while preserving its glorious melodramatic kick, and they've left themselves with a relatively generous amount of time to cover the remainder of the Thunderbolt Sector arc.

Anyone else given it a watch yet?

Interesting parallels with the A-V system in IBO.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

that retcon is just a little bit TOO powerful for me. it's like, with all the other suits, I can accept "ok it just looked like this the whole time" but for some reason once you add the bird/angel wings, a line has been crossed.

who has better taste in music daryl or io

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

GulagDolls posted:

that retcon is just a little bit TOO powerful for me. it's like, with all the other suits, I can accept "ok it just looked like this the whole time" but for some reason once you add the bird/angel wings, a line has been crossed.

who has better taste in music daryl or io

Io. I mean, c'mon, is that even a question?

Honestly, that kind of sums them up. Io's a jerk, but a cool jerk. Darryl, meanwhile, is this lovable dork who also happens to be an ungodly lethal cyborg deathmonster. Just look at the second arc. Io's ride is the Atlas Gundam, a sleek, sexy prototype with extra arms and a giant fuckoff experimental railgun. Darryl, meanwhile, is doing James Bond poo poo in a loving Acguy.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Feb 13, 2016

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

the WZC weirds people out because it straight up removes the bird mode, which you never notice in Endless Waltz since there's no point where it'd use it anyway but once you realize it you can't forget it.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
the WZC weirds people out cause it can flap it's wings like a bird.it's a robot, the wings should be made of metal, not feathers

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

i think they are made of metal. its like. space metal. that looks like feather.s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

boom boom boom posted:

the WZC weirds people out cause it can flap it's wings like a bird.it's a robot, the wings should be made of metal, not feathers
IIRC, they are made of metal, yet act like normal bird feathers. Because the Wing universe runs on raw batshit insanity.