Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

Yeah, but at least it isn't trying to criminalize homosexuality because of political fairy dust....this time....

They will definitely get to that if my avatar grows stronger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

Fried Chicken posted:

I wonder where the US would rank if there was a stat on "number of students killed at school every year"

Probably not at the top, because cases of schools getting blown up in war zones would lead, but we'd be up there

It turns out the CDC has data on violent deaths in school from 1992-2010. You can also get a more detailed breakdown from NCES.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

I remember reading some anthropological research done in the favelas of Brazil on infanticide. A lot of poverty stricken women will just ignore sickly and weak infants and let them starve because they tend towards large families and the grinding poverty and large family size due to lack of abortion access and contraception leads to it being an economic necessity. It's even been sort of codified into local Catholic beliefs, with God wanting his angels back and a sort of tacit approval in many cases from local church authorities. This is what these fuckers support and this is what they would cause in many poverty stricken communities if they got their way here.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Reason posted:

Hillarists
wtf is this

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Wow, Harry Reid is just lighting in to Alan Grayson to the press. He is really pissed. Rightfully IMO, but still.

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

SumYungGui posted:

I know I shouldn't, I really, really shouldn't but it's almost pathological. One topic I absolutely cannot resist on Face-space-twitter is those mouth breathing poo poo heads spewing the memes about the common core math homework assignment their kids got and just :shrek: in their own smugly superior ignorance about how smart they are that they can understand how stupid and useless this technique is. It hits every one of my buttons and just drives me up a god drat wall to see someone be so completely assured that their existence as the Platonic ideal of 'Ignorant rear end in a top hat' means that obviously this thing is wrong, why should I spend ten seconds trying to learn about it? It's so obviously wrong because I'm right so we shouldn't even bother understanding what it is and what it can do.

You and me both. Worst part of it is that I am disnumeric, yet with every single post on CC math I see, I nearly instantly understand it and think that it is brilliant and wished I had been taught that way. Guess you could day the idiots talking about it made me a huge supporter of CC.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Fried Chicken posted:

Wow, Harry Reid is just lighting in to Alan Grayson to the press. He is really pissed. Rightfully IMO, but still.

Is this about him being a hedge fund rear end in a top hat this whole time or did he do something else?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Is this about him being a hedge fund rear end in a top hat this whole time or did he do something else?
Yes that. It's ridiculous that he was doing this the whole time, and I'm a defender of his.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yes that. It's ridiculous that he was doing this the whole time, and I'm a defender of his.

Got a link?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

Jeeze what a bastard he really was. He was so viciously smug all the time.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Jeb Bush today bragged about being in charge of the Florida National Guard and the FNG running Abu Ghraib, in context of how "tough" he will be on terrorism and his foreign policy

http://www.buzzfeed.com/andrewkaczynski/jeb-bush-on-his-foreign-policy-chops-florida-national-guard?utm_term=.nxN95A86g

You know, before Trump got in he was at least being more circumspect about this, saying we would "go back to 2003 standards" (as in, before the reforms Abu Ghraib triggered)

That whole "we must move forward"-don't-prosecute-torturers decision Obama made is going to go down as one of his worst

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Rhesus Pieces posted:

I don't know if you realize this yet, but it's possible to discuss the election without insufferably cheerleading for your candidate of choice.

I don't really cheer-lead either candidate or any candidate but I do find it funny that the only time anyone complains about election chat in USPol it just happens to be when anything pro-Bernie or anti-Hillary is posted. I'm not necessarily cheer leading so much as mocking certain posters' timeless devotion to a less-than-progressive candidate.

I think Hillary and Bernie would both govern well. However, Hillary would definitely bargain away things like Social Security, just like Obama (who I also really like and admire), in order to make a deal with our permanent Republican rulers.

It's just kind of funny that a few USPol regulars crow and crow about progressive ideals and preserving our social safety net and then support a candidate who is married to the mascot for third-way Democrats and triangulation. There are tons of reasons to like Hillary and support her but she will absolutely sell off progressive sacred cows due to the pressure to govern well, especially as the first woman president. The best thing we'll get from her is supreme court nominations.

It's also kind of sad to see certain posters hate on Bernie and his supporters for not falling in line, and bowing their head to Hillary, after I have seen those same people, over the last few years, whine about voter turnout and apathy and the lack of a real progressive candidate and here one is, getting people excited to vote and getting unlikely voters to vote for him, and these posters just laugh at him and their supporters while deflecting any real and tangible criticisms of Hillary.

It's cool with me if you support Hillary but I know I will see her biggest fans here whining in 2017 or 2018 when another Grand Bargain(tm) is made.

What I'm saying is many USPol regulars are psuedointellectual hypocrites who continually waffle between progressiveness and realpolitik very-serious-person-ness.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Noam Chomsky posted:

I don't really cheer-lead either candidate or any candidate but I do find it funny that the only time anyone complains about election chat in USPol it just happens to be when anything pro-Bernie or anti-Hillary is posted. I'm not necessarily cheer leading so much as mocking certain posters' timeless devotion to a less-than-progressive candidate.

I think Hillary and Bernie would both govern well. However, Hillary would definitely bargain away things like Social Security, just like Obama (who I also really like and admire), in order to make a deal with our permanent Republican rulers.

It's just kind of funny that a few USPol regulars crow and crow about progressive ideals and preserving our social safety net and then support a candidate who is married to the mascot for third-way Democrats and triangulation. There are tons of reasons to like Hillary and support her but she will absolutely sell off progressive sacred cows due to the pressure to govern well, especially as the first woman president. The best thing we'll get from her is supreme court nominations.

It's also kind of sad to see certain posters hate on Bernie and his supporters for not falling in line, and bowing their head to Hillary, after I have seen those same people, over the last few years, whine about voter turnout and apathy and the lack of a real progressive candidate and here one is, getting people excited to vote and getting unlikely voters to vote for him, and these posters just laugh at him and their supporters while deflecting any real and tangible criticisms of Hillary.

It's cool with me if you support Hillary but I know I will see her biggest fans here whining in 2017 and 2018 when another Grand Bargain(tm) is made.

What I'm saying is many USPol regulars are psuedointellectual hypocrites who continually waffle between progressiveness and realpolitik very-serious-person-ness.

I can only speak for myself, but as a rich gay man she is the best candidate for me. I realize that I am not representative of everyone but that's why we all get to vote :)

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

a shameful boehner posted:

I think this is more broadly relevant to U.S. politics than just the democratic primary, so:

DNC rolls back Obama ban on contributions from federal lobbyists

Because that's a smart thing to do in the middle of a presidential race that's been hugely yoogely characterized by the enormous influence of lobbyist money over the process.

Great work, DWS! :downsbravo:

tbqh going to back to the strategies employed pre-2008 can only really be good for the DNC since uh, 2010, 2014, ect.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Noam Chomsky posted:

It's cool with me if you support Hillary but I know I will see her biggest fans here whining in 2017 or 2018 when another Grand Bargain(tm) is made.

As a Clinton supporter I feel the exact same way about the Bernie bros. I've been told I can't care about poor people, that I'm the real racist, that there is no logical way to support Clinton and not be evil etc etc.

If I dared post something critical of Sanders, there will be 5x posters ready to jump out and claim Rep. Lewis doesn't believe what he said or whatever.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Noam Chomsky posted:

progressiveness and realpolitik very-serious-person-ness.

Being a progressive and a realist are not mutually exclusive things despite what the purity commissars may assert.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

LunarShadow posted:

You and me both. Worst part of it is that I am disnumeric, yet with every single post on CC math I see, I nearly instantly understand it and think that it is brilliant and wished I had been taught that way. Guess you could day the idiots talking about it made me a huge supporter of CC.

My favorite thing about common core is how their rants generally reveal how they don't know poo poo about math.

Someone posted a quote a while back about "+ means addition only! That's how it's always been" :argh:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logical_disjunction

That hasn't been true for over 100 years.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
How about this: i don't give a gently caress who you want to vote for. You have a thread for the dem primary, a thread for the gop primary, and each candidate has their own thread. You have plenty of other options for talking about your favored person.

Stop talking about the primaries.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
I went to public school in Texas and learned what progressive income tax brackets were in required government and required economics

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

Xand_Man posted:

My favorite thing about common core is how their rants generally reveal how they don't know poo poo about math.

Someone posted a quote a while back about "+ means addition only! That's how it's always been" :argh:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logical_disjunction

That hasn't been true for over 100 years.

To be fair, there are some fairly well-known issues with operator overloading, which is why most of the people I know use 'v' instead of '+'. I agree that nobody ranting about Common Core is likely to understand that argument, either.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

site posted:

How about this: i don't give a gently caress who you want to vote for. You have a thread for the dem primary, a thread for the gop primary, and each candidate has their own thread. You have plenty of other options for talking about your favored person.

Stop talking about the primaries.

Thank you.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

An article re Reid wanting to boot Alan Grayson

quote:

U.S. Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid on Friday called for U.S. Rep. Alan Grayson of Orlando to drop out of the race for a Senate seat in Florida.

Reid said in a statement that Grayson claims to be progressive but seems to have "no moral compass." He said Grayson used his office to unethically promote a hedge fund that until recently had been based in the Cayman Islands.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/politics/os-grayson-reid-senate-20160212-story.html

drat!

Its crazy to me that people used to support Grayson because he could be as spiteful as conservatives.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Shageletic posted:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/politics/os-grayson-reid-senate-20160212-story.html

drat!

Its crazy to me that people used to support Grayson because he could be as spiteful as conservatives.

What's crazy to me is that the dialog has shifted so far that Harry Reid is criticizing someone for being a hedge fund manager. Like, he is retiring so he has a bit more freedom with what he says, but even in 2012 the Dems kept it vague on criticizing finance

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

LunarShadow posted:

Same, except I did quite well at math. Not that it's all great but take for example the "bad problem" that convinced me:

The whole point of the problem is building up the logical foundations for the long-form algorithm by emphasizing how subtracting each digit independently is the same as subtracting that many hundreds, that many tens, etc.

I bet Frustrated Parent hated slogging through the proofs in his Calculus class in college, too.

Svanja
Sep 19, 2009

Shageletic posted:

drat!

I actually follow Grayson on Facebook, but I completely missed this turn of events! I'm so confused. Does anyone have a link to the article Grayson was complaining about? Anyone have an opinion on its veracity?

I'm pissed if this is true. I doubt Reid would jump so quickly on Grayson if Reid found the sources questionable.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
West Virginia's governor vetoed Right to Work, but was overridden today by a simple majority of the House of Delegates. This marks the 26th state where unions will be devoid of any real power. As a former West Virginian, I can tell you that the chucklefucks in that state who have blamed everything from blacks to mexicans to 'dem fuckin queers *spits out chaw*' to political correctness for their cheques getting smaller and smaller will rally behind this as the thing that will finally let them make more money at their jobs.

The few remaining coal barons will lower their wages even more as they try to wring the last few dollars out of the dying coal industry that the market has decided is not worth buying from anymore and then they'll retire to California.

There is no industry in West Virginia, it s a failed state, run by incompetents and we will be supporting it for the next hundred years easily.

It's such a cool state, full of such loving idiots.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Fried Chicken posted:

What's crazy to me is that the dialog has shifted so far that Harry Reid is criticizing someone for being a hedge fund manager. Like, he is retiring so he has a bit more freedom with what he says, but even in 2012 the Dems kept it vague on criticizing finance

Ain't it great?

Svanja
Sep 19, 2009
I found the Grayson article!
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/12/u...s&nlid=55197044

Reading it now.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

KiteAuraan posted:

I remember reading some anthropological research done in the favelas of Brazil on infanticide. A lot of poverty stricken women will just ignore sickly and weak infants and let them starve because they tend towards large families and the grinding poverty and large family size due to lack of abortion access and contraception leads to it being an economic necessity. It's even been sort of codified into local Catholic beliefs, with God wanting his angels back and a sort of tacit approval in many cases from local church authorities. This is what these fuckers support and this is what they would cause in many poverty stricken communities if they got their way here.

I read the same thing for an anthropology class. its sad.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Noam Chomsky posted:

your not wrong. :(

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Dapper_Swindler posted:

also. update on the shooting. the shooter was a girl, and shot another girl, then herself.
http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/12/us/arizona-high-school-shooting/index.html

So we are going to blame this on Slenderman instead of guns?

Nonsense posted:

Jeeze what a bastard he really was. He was so viciously smug all the time.

He was a liberal with the balls to call the GOP the assholes they really are. Of course something fishy was going on behind the scenes.

Fried Chicken posted:

Could also be venting about the DNC accepting lobbyist donations again without specifically calling them out by name.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

pathetic little tramp posted:

West Virginia's governor vetoed Right to Work, but was overridden today by a simple majority of the House of Delegates. This marks the 26th state where unions will be devoid of any real power. As a former West Virginian, I can tell you that the chucklefucks in that state who have blamed everything from blacks to mexicans to 'dem fuckin queers *spits out chaw*' to political correctness for their cheques getting smaller and smaller will rally behind this as the thing that will finally let them make more money at their jobs.

The few remaining coal barons will lower their wages even more as they try to wring the last few dollars out of the dying coal industry that the market has decided is not worth buying from anymore and then they'll retire to California.

There is no industry in West Virginia, it s a failed state, run by incompetents and we will be supporting it for the next hundred years easily.

It's such a cool state, full of such loving idiots.

If it's any consolation, the groundswell seems to be on the side of retaking the House and Senate after the brilliant incompetent of the Republicans has been on full display.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

KiteAuraan posted:

Of course they don't want this to happen. If you would threaten such ungodly women with a nice jail term, perhaps like 25 years to life, I bet the incidence of this would go right down!

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Same, except I did quite well at math. Not that it's all great but take for example the "bad problem" that convinced me:

The whole point of the problem is building up the logical foundations for the long-form algorithm by emphasizing how subtracting each digit independently is the same as subtracting that many hundreds, that many tens, etc.

I bet Frustrated Parent hated slogging through the proofs in his Calculus class in college, too.

Says the EE whose discipline is basically made-up voodoo magic.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

ComradeCosmobot posted:

I like how Frustrated Parent doesn't seem to understand that the point is that Jack did it wrong.

Svanja
Sep 19, 2009
From the NY Times article on Grayson:

quote:

Another hedge fund marketing document cited a quotation attributed to an early member of the Rothschild banking family in advising that “the time to buy is when there’s blood in the streets.”

That makes me ill. Even if Grayson swears its just a small hedgefund for "friends and family" it all feels really slimy.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Noam Chomsky posted:

It's almost like this thread is an echo chamber of the same six to eight concern trolls that either don't have jobs or are corporate executives

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Noam Chomsky posted:

why are you trying to snowball your own sidetrack into a topic banned from this thread into an argument. gently caress off

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

your not wrong. :(

He's a poster talking about posting so yes he is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Radbot posted:

It's almost like this thread is an echo chamber of the same six to eight concern trolls that either don't have jobs or are corporate executives

That's a weird dichotomy of concern trolls

• Locked thread