Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Captured guys can be recovered later, though, so it's not an instant death condition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Nah. It ended my campaign pretty much. Lost my entire main squad early in so all I have is rookies now. Probably should be more explicit with that information.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
Dammit soldier, control yourself!

(stupid titsnake grabbed a soldier with bladestorm, glitch ensues)

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

Megasabin posted:

Wait if you fail a mission all your units gets captured? I l literally killed all the enemies on the map without getting hit, and was one turn away from the extraction point with the VIP at full health. I figured I would just fail the mission, but come back with my promotions. What a horribly stupid mechanic that isn't' explained at all.

I had a grenadier get captured. I was hoping it would be possible to free them at some point but I haven't seen anything.

edit:

Lotish posted:

Captured guys can be recovered later, though, so it's not an instant death condition.

is it a specific mission type?

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Lotish posted:

How does this work? I haven't left anyone behind yet? Is it a VIP mission or something? If multiple people get captured do you get one mission for all of them or is it one at a time?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
You can get single VIP rescue missions from the Council to rescue your captured squad, one at a time.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Peewi posted:

I've uploaded the new version of my mod

I'm pretty happy with it now and if I make any further visual changes it'd probably just be to the icons.

To add to the ideas others posted about shrinking the icons a bit and maybe making the boxes more translucent, I would also suggest fixing the spacing in the shield box—the "3" is too close to the diamond, and there's a lot of empty space to its right.

Kin33
Jul 3, 2007

Where is your god now?
Huh. If a grenade hits an enemy buffed with the shieldbearer shield and it ONLY does damage to the shield then it won't shred armor. Found out the hard way.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

bees everywhere posted:

I just beat the game on veteran. Enjoyed the hell out of every second of it. If anybody is about to start the final missions (the game tells you when there's no going back) and you're wondering about which soldiers to bring, here is how it works in terms of what your limits are: (not story spoilers)
The final mission is 2 parts, the first part you can bring 3 soldiers and the 2nd part you can bring 6. The 3 soldiers you bring to part 1 can also go to part 2, even if they are wounded. You can also bring more than 1 leader to part 2. You will get a chance to re-org/equip them at the Avenger but once you begin part 1, no time can pass on the geoscape for the rest of the game.

Something I didn't know about the final missions: (again, no story spoilers but might be helpful to those going in)

The first part of the final mission has a single objective. Once this is done the mission's over and you progress to part 2. You do not need to kill every enemy on the map or evac to end the mission once you complete the objective.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Killzone + shotgun seems to keep bugging out for me; one one shot ever occurs (so, basically, it's reduced to normal overwatch). Anyone else having similar problems?

e: VV Blaster bombs trivialize everything.

Zomborgon fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Feb 12, 2016

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

So blaster bombs trivialize the Avenger defense missions.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Ornamented Death posted:

So blaster bombs trivialize the Avenger defense missions.

When I had one I didn't even have tier two armor in legendary

So

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
So many people playing this game and not paying attention to the information the game presents to you.
Echoing that the last mission is insane, you have some great help but Lord forgive you if you roll in without a means of breaking psi stuff and big alpha strike damage.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Can someone explain alien line of sight to me? When I'm concealed sometimes they see me and get activated on my turn without me stepping on a space with a red square. What's the deal?

Also sometimes areas highlighted with red squares disappear/change without the enemy units moving. Although the one time I stepped in an area that was previously highlighted and now wasn't, I got detected, so I'm guessing this is the game being a buggy mess.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Megasabin posted:

Can someone explain alien line of sight to me? When I'm concealed sometimes they see me and get activated on my turn without me stepping on a space with a red square. What's the deal?

Also sometimes areas highlighted with red squares disappear/change without the enemy units moving. Although the one time I stepped in an area that was previously highlighted and now wasn't, I got detected, so I'm guessing this is the game being a buggy mess.

Red squares are displayed only for aliens in your current line of sight. If you haven't seen the alien in the first place, or if you've moved the unit that was seeing the enemy to a spot where they can't, you can blunder into an area they can see and get revealed.

Be very careful in built up areas for this reason.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Two things might be happening there: If you don't have eyes on a pod, you can't see their detection squares, which can spill over into places you step. The other is buggy line of sight, which happens sometimes.

I had one map where I put a phantom ranger in the bed of a truck, and if she moved, it activated a pod on the other side of the map. I reloaded a few times to see if I could get around it, and it was the same every time.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Megasabin posted:

Usually this happens when you don't see an enemy unit in the pod and thus aren't shown their red vision tiles, making a move you think is safe turn out to not be.

quote:

I haven't experience this, personally.

e: beaten twice. Yeah this is a downside to tight urban maps, there is a chance you get hosed by this and it makes scanning protocol very helpful even without stealth enemies.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I don't think I've met stealth enemies yet. :ohdear:

For the record, I just met my first Gatekeeper.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Also, occasionally, a wall might not really be there. Always check inside buildings before sneaking around them.

It has now happened twice for me, and only on story missions (blacksite, forge, etc).

e: removed dumb conjecture

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Lotish posted:

I don't think I've met stealth enemies yet. :ohdear:

Sorry, was trying to think of a good description to catch faceless and our good friend the 'lid. Nothing else, I swear :wink:

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

:xcom:

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
Sometimes I have no loving idea how Gatekeepers target their big zombie blast. One time my concealed ranger got nuked by it. There were no other targets or viable corpses around, so the Gatekeeper was clearly just cheating.

But I guess my Ranger screaming in pain wasn't noisy enough to break concealment :v:

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

ADVENT figured out the blademaster counter.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
at least pods don't teleport around the loving map anymore

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

dyzzy posted:

ADVENT figured out the blademaster counter.

But not the counter to the shredder.

Goddamn I would love to use a shredder on that. It seems pretty early in the game though so hell a grenade will do nicely.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Just use something to blow up the truck.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

has anyone had a map basically generate in a way that completely fucks you over? Had a random VIP mission wherein I got to where I thought the VIP would be, but turns out the NPC generated right outside the loving map's borders. So I basically wasted time getting all the troops to the end of a map. Bullshit. :xcom:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Khisanth Magus posted:

Just use something to blow up the truck.

It's free experience Jim!

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I thought it was pretty weird on the final mission when I found the human terranium it was pretty hypocritical of theme to outlaw pets. A couple of up close screen shots http://imgur.com/a/srZNH

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Ooh just noticed that when a shaken soldier recovers, the popup says that the soldier's will has recovered and is increased. Has anyone noticed by how much?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Oh man, that second to last mission. The way you can just straight up beat it without being seen using the wraith armor in various ways and a gremlin. I loved that.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

MinibarMatchman posted:

has anyone had a map basically generate in a way that completely fucks you over? Had a random VIP mission wherein I got to where I thought the VIP would be, but turns out the NPC generated right outside the loving map's borders. So I basically wasted time getting all the troops to the end of a map. Bullshit. :xcom:

I haven't been screwed that hard, but I have had VIP rescue missions where the extraction point spawned way too far from the VIP's position for me to realistically get them to the extraction within the turn limit. Incidentally, that's the only time I've save-scummed this whole run. It seemed blatantly unfair so I just reloaded from before that mission and ended up getting a far too easy map instead, so, I mean, I'll take it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Harrow posted:

I haven't been screwed that hard, but I have had VIP rescue missions where the extraction point spawned way too far from the VIP's position for me to realistically get them to the extraction within the turn limit. Incidentally, that's the only time I've save-scummed this whole run. It seemed blatantly unfair so I just reloaded from before that mission and ended up getting a far too easy map instead, so, I mean, I'll take it.

Some retaliation maps can be real assholes about where it puts everything too.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

RBA Starblade posted:

It's free experience Jim!

XP from kills is weird. If the enemy dies from fall damage, your soldiers dont get xp.

Edit: I'll work on posting a picture later, but I confirmed this by starting a new game, and doing operation gatecrasher. I got lucky enough to get a pod of 3 soldiers standing on a destructible spot of a building. Grenade pops, achievement pops, soldiers land on ground and then take delayed fall damage. No promotion for that soldier. End of mission shows me only having credit for kiling 3 advent soldiers.

waah fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Feb 12, 2016

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

waah posted:

XP from kills is weird. If the enemy dies from fall damage, your soldiers dont get xp.

:geno:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOiE0LCu6J0

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Is there a way to see mod files? I'd like to see the name pools of "New Countries" mod.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Do you get any XP for:
-Killing zombies
-Killing allies under mind control

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Negative on allies under mind control. I found out the hard way when I made a bunch of zombies with a controlled gatekeeper and then mowed them down. No experience, and it added 22 "soldier" deaths to my count.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Lotish posted:

Two things might be happening there: If you don't have eyes on a pod, you can't see their detection squares, which can spill over into places you step. The other is buggy line of sight, which happens sometimes.

I think it's important to note that Pectoids, I'm guessing cause they're psionic, have better detection than other enemies. Meaning they can "see" around poo poo they normally shouldn't be able to. Might be the same case with the gatekeeper, but I've never met a gatekeeper while still in concealment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

SpookyLizard posted:

Bladestorm is the counter move for Rangers. It's attacks and muton counter attacks won't trigger each other.

They totally do trigger it. Had a charging Muton hit a bladestorm ranger twice after countering the free attack.