Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Is there a fund for restoring Malheur? I got plenty of entertainment out of this, and I feel like I should do something to help undo the damage these dipshits caused.
Yes!

http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-northwest-news/index.ssf/2016/02/oregon_standoff_how_restore_ma.html#incart_maj-story-1

I definitely intend to visit when, in the future, they build all their sweet, sweet dioramas about this incident.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

theflyingorc posted:

Yes!

http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-northwest-news/index.ssf/2016/02/oregon_standoff_how_restore_ma.html#incart_maj-story-1

I definitely intend to visit when, in the future, they build all their sweet, sweet dioramas about this incident.

There's also the Friends of Malheur Refuge.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Also lmao about them trying to get one last gently caress YOU in by saying they laid booby traps. They are so beyond hosed in this, they have no idea what they're doing. Even if they appeal and get a super right wing judge he's going to see "just wanted to peacefully protest" and "filled it with tripwires and explosives lol gently caress YOU DAD" and put the boot to them.

Anyway, it'll be fun because even though everything will be plea deals with nothing public, everybody is going to be rolling so hard on everybody they possibly can that the FBI is going to be hauling in 1/2 of the sovcits in the US by the end of this

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Epic High Five posted:

I thought it was funny that somebody who fancied themselves a sniper would use irons and sit out in the open like that, pleased as a pig in slop to have people taking pictures of him.
To be honest, I had some morbid thoughts of someone walking right up to him and plugging him on the ground like the guy on the couch in Pulp Fiction, showing just how ridiculous he was for posing.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

How do you snipe people with a shotgun?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

Slugs duh

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Rangefinder and Conspiracy Theory-D

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I guess if your target is extremely fat that would work?

E: maybe he couldn't afford an anti-material rifle and figured that was the next best thing.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

OwlFancier posted:

Sic Transit Gloria Bundy.

This is awesome. You're awesome.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

theultimo posted:

:hf:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

Hm? That's not a shotgun. That's a rifle in what looks like 5.45x39mm or 5.56x45mm. Saiga is well known for their AK-style shotguns, but they also make rifles that are basically modified AKs.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

theflyingorc posted:

Yes!

Much obliged, I'll spread these around.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Mercury_Storm posted:

There's a good chance at least some of these people might be delusional enough to take it all to court, if only for the publicity. (Or they think that sov cit mumbo jumbo will save them)

Not so much for the SovCit, but more because they'll be convinced the judge will let them make rambling speeches about liberty to the court and the press and not immediately told by a judge to shut up. Also expect them to try to explain jury nullification to the courtroom.

And, having listened to the first four hours or so (the night stream) I really hope someone with more sanity and time than myself puts together a supercut of all the rambling screeds about obamacare, common core, Hillary, Bill Ayres, etc. and cut to talk show hosts and (mostly Republican) lawmakers saying the same things.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

Hm? That's not a shotgun. That's a rifle in what looks like 5.45x39mm or 5.56x45mm. Saiga is well known for their AK-style shotguns, but they also make rifles that are basically modified AKs.

Oh, right, sorry I didn't realise they made other things, I thought Saiga was the name of the shotgun, not the company making it. Also yes they all look like AKs so it's hard to tell from the back half.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

E-Tank posted:

Well that didn't take long.

Crossposting from Freep thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3599372&pagenumber=824#post456197677

From Jeff Head a short while ago:

Does anyone still believe Ritzheimer was the plant?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I really don't want to watch Fox and Friends explain why Bundy's bunch aren't terrorists after we have to sweep the area for loving IED's.

Eh, I'm sure they'll say something along the lines of "I don't agree with their methods, but their concerns are real." So they can try to score points with the slightly less crazy militia groups.

It's also likely that they'll whine about those filthy liberals using the word terrorists to describe American (read: white people) when it's so obvious that this was just an isolated incident. That and rant about any sort of attempt to use this to infringe upon their holy guns.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Good to know the true patriots would go with a Russian gun to fight the US. Has there been any major political apologetics for the Bundies besides the right wing conspiracy crowd trying to shout that everything was a government plant/cover up? I know the likes of Freep will try to keep the illusion that the Great American Revolution can and will happen, but I'm talking about Fox or CNN playing soft ball with them still.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

chitoryu12 posted:

All right here's my entire article in a Google Doc. Let me know if you see any mistakes or think I missed anything important!

This is solid, for additional humor you may want to add that Sean and Sandy Anderson had cushy gigs in union jobs in Wisconsin until they voted for Scott Walker and he skullfucked them just like he promised he would. Thanks Obama

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
http://www.salon.com/2016/02/12/the_bundy_brigades_delusional_last_stand_what_the_failed_wing_nut_revolt_really_tells_us/

people in Malheur had been abandoned by the very groups they had been told repeatedly were with them all the way. Where were the Oath Keepers, who have sworn to defend the Constitution and have supposedly infiltrated the FBI? Where were the right-wing radio and TV hosts who spent years firing them up? Why wasn’t Sean Hannity parachuting into Oregon with a camera crew to bring the struggle to a national audience? Where were the American people, and why weren’t they storming the barricades to help these four souls who had taken a stand for everyone’s rights

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Oh and the Bundy crowd didn't all just disperse after the 2014 showdown

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Kilo147 posted:

Apparently the buildings are booby trapped at best, rigged to blow at worst. Can we just bring these terrorists to a field and execute them yet?

http://www.rawstory.com/2016/02/mil...tm_content=link

It's obviously a miscommunication and they meant "booby tarps".

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Entropic posted:

It's obviously a miscommunication and they meant "booby tarps".

I know the militia tended towards the heavier side of the scale, but you don't have to be rude. "Tarp Support Garments"

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
*Frank Constanza scream*

IT'S A FREEMANZIER

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

IT'S A MILITIA BRO!!

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

theultimo posted:

http://www.salon.com/2016/02/12/the_bundy_brigades_delusional_last_stand_what_the_failed_wing_nut_revolt_really_tells_us/

people in Malheur had been abandoned by the very groups they had been told repeatedly were with them all the way. Where were the Oath Keepers, who have sworn to defend the Constitution and have supposedly infiltrated the FBI? Where were the right-wing radio and TV hosts who spent years firing them up? Why wasn’t Sean Hannity parachuting into Oregon with a camera crew to bring the struggle to a national audience? Where were the American people, and why weren’t they storming the barricades to help these four souls who had taken a stand for everyone’s rights
Brutal stuff in this article. All that's missing is a political cartoon with talk radio riling these people up, some of them act on it and get arrested, and then the final panel is the same radio host dismissing them as kooks and moving on to another topic.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
The david fry in congress line had me rollin

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

chitoryu12 posted:

So I wrote up a pretty lengthy article detailing the timeline of events and the most important people involved in the story. It's not incredibly detailed, just a general overview of the most important points for anyone who wants a decent understanding of the situation. That said, it's 17 pages long (7422 words). Would it be untoward to just put it in a post here? Should I host it somewhere else?

This is good and you've got most of the points right. The one thing that stands out is that Fiore had made arrangements to come down with Bundy the weekend before poo poo hit the fan. When she initially called in to the live stream she was at the airport waiting for Cliven's arrival unrelated to events at the refuge. They were planning to go down to confront the authorities directly about getting his son's released, with Cliven thinking that with her protection he would be untouchable. Cliven had initially wanted to drive down but was persuaded by Fiore to fly. Fiore publicly announced their travel arrangements on social media the weekend before.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Epic High Five posted:

I appreciate the clarification, though I'm pretty sure we're all just operating under the assumption that everything these people do or say is a lie and they are frauds in every facet of their life and how they present themselves. I thought it was funny that somebody who fancied themselves a sniper would use irons and sit out in the open like that, pleased as a pig in slop to have people taking pictures of him. Wouldn't that better describe a marksman? That sounds pretty cool still, he didn't even have to lie to sound cool.

Eh, this is all pretty notional since fundamentally "dumbass with a gun posing for social media" isn't a formal technical term, but by current US terminology you could vaguely call what this guy is posing as by "Designated Marksman".

Broadly speaking, a sniper's job is to sneak around in a two man team out doing special niche missions, and doing very little shooting but mostly observing and reporting what they're seeing as they lie hidden. And if a great target presents itself, they shoot it and slink off somewhere else.

A DM by contrast is out there in the thick of the actual fighting, and while the riflemen in his unit are shooting in the general direction of the enemy, and the machine-gunners are hosing down the area, the DM's job is to keep a cool head and patiently wait for individual high-priority targets and not get caught up in the mix. Like they might have a slightly more accurate/powerful rifle and better optics, and while everyone else is spraying they're waiting for a glimpse of the enemy's machine gun crew, or ready to nail the radioman or anyone who looks to be giving orders to others.

So if you wanted to get technical you could say he's cosplaying as a "DM" who's "providing overwatch" to the main mission going on down below.

But regardless of terms, he'd be way more useful as a DM if he he'd spent even less money and bought a deer rifle from a pawnshop, or post-season closeout at a sporting goods store. And if he actually backed up another foot or two and used his backpack as a stable rest.

But honestly that's just the absolute tail-end of what is assuredly a long, long string of poor life choices.

With both Bundy Ranch and Malheur, if you wanted to pick the cosplaying apart further, I'd be very curious to know how many of these people, expecting an armed confrontation with the Feds, packed even a basic first-aid kit, with some tourniquets and some tampons for expected bullet injuries, and how many have even the equivalent of "spent a hour watching YouTube" of combat medical training.

I mean, I'm not King poo poo of Tactical Mountain or anything, but if it somehow felt compelled to get into an armed standoff with a decent amount of advanced notice, I think I'd be at least a little smarter about it. Plus pack my own snacks.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Skinty McEdger posted:

They were planning to go down to confront the authorities directly about getting his son's released, with Cliven thinking that with her protection he would be untouchable. Cliven had initially wanted to drive down but was persuaded by Fiore to fly. Fiore publicly announced their travel arrangements on social media the weekend before.

Wow this is even dumber than I initially imagined. I thought that Fiore might have been with the feds from the beginning and had slyly convinced Cliven to come over and help the rest of his yokel haram gang by plane. Also in a lot shorter timeframe so there wasn't days to plan for his arrest.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Skinty McEdger posted:

This is good and you've got most of the points right. The one thing that stands out is that Fiore had made arrangements to come down with Bundy the weekend before poo poo hit the fan. When she initially called in to the live stream she was at the airport waiting for Cliven's arrival unrelated to events at the refuge. They were planning to go down to confront the authorities directly about getting his son's released, with Cliven thinking that with her protection he would be untouchable. Cliven had initially wanted to drive down but was persuaded by Fiore to fly. Fiore publicly announced their travel arrangements on social media the weekend before.

that is god drat amazing

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Mr. Belding posted:

RAM SACKED

edit: I love these people because I keep learning new words and pronunciations to use in my hillbilly/yokel schtick.

nobody else commented on it but my favorite new thing to come out of this whole thing is country singer Johmney Cash

Zeond
Oct 16, 2008

Please give generously to The League for Fighting Chartered Accountancy, 55 Lincoln House, Basil Street, London, SW3.
The FBI is probably right to be worried about explosives. If I recall correctly, early in the standoff there was a woman associated with the occupiers named Maureen Peltier (sp?) who was suspected of theft of explosives from a National Guard armory. Haven't heard from her in quite a while so she may have been picked up by law enforcement but her name is not in any indictment I've read.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Zeond posted:

The FBI is probably right to be worried about explosives. If I recall correctly, early in the standoff there was a woman associated with the occupiers named Maureen Peltier (sp?) who was suspected of theft of explosives from a National Guard armory. Haven't heard from her in quite a while so she may have been picked up by law enforcement but her name is not in any indictment I've read.

I hadn't heard the name Maureen Peltier before but it looks like she's SSG Moe: https://www.patrioticwarriors.com/SSGMoe/

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Eh, this is all pretty notional since fundamentally "dumbass with a gun posing for social media" isn't a formal technical term, but by current US terminology you could vaguely call what this guy is posing as by "Designated Marksman".

Broadly speaking, a sniper's job is to sneak around in a two man team out doing special niche missions, and doing very little shooting but mostly observing and reporting what they're seeing as they lie hidden. And if a great target presents itself, they shoot it and slink off somewhere else.

A DM by contrast is out there in the thick of the actual fighting, and while the riflemen in his unit are shooting in the general direction of the enemy, and the machine-gunners are hosing down the area, the DM's job is to keep a cool head and patiently wait for individual high-priority targets and not get caught up in the mix. Like they might have a slightly more accurate/powerful rifle and better optics, and while everyone else is spraying they're waiting for a glimpse of the enemy's machine gun crew, or ready to nail the radioman or anyone who looks to be giving orders to others.

So if you wanted to get technical you could say he's cosplaying as a "DM" who's "providing overwatch" to the main mission going on down below.

But regardless of terms, he'd be way more useful as a DM if he he'd spent even less money and bought a deer rifle from a pawnshop, or post-season closeout at a sporting goods store. And if he actually backed up another foot or two and used his backpack as a stable rest.

But honestly that's just the absolute tail-end of what is assuredly a long, long string of poor life choices.

With both Bundy Ranch and Malheur, if you wanted to pick the cosplaying apart further, I'd be very curious to know how many of these people, expecting an armed confrontation with the Feds, packed even a basic first-aid kit, with some tourniquets and some tampons for expected bullet injuries, and how many have even the equivalent of "spent a hour watching YouTube" of combat medical training.

I mean, I'm not King poo poo of Tactical Mountain or anything, but if it somehow felt compelled to get into an armed standoff with a decent amount of advanced notice, I think I'd be at least a little smarter about it. Plus pack my own snacks.

There's no military term for these weekend warrior LARPers, outside of more poignant ones like stolen valor and terrorist? I find that hard to believe

A proper first aid kit you'd carry expecting deep puncture wounds is expensive, and then there's the training to use it properly which takes time and runs the risk of soberly assessing the true damage this thing you worship is capable of. I doubt any of these guys brought as much as a pack of bandaids. All you need is small arms to lead a revolution, don't waste training or money on anything else!

Rubbing dirt in wounds and feeling all macho is great when you're taking a shower every day to do the work of disinfecting for you (poorly of course, but it's something), but when you're just humping it out in the woods and living in your own filth, a septic wound suddenly isn't so much fun. I *MAY* just be willing to give them enough credit to have brought 1-2 extra pairs of socks, but without laundry facilities and in constant cold I hate to think of the condition of their feet after all is said and done. Oh god I just imagined having only 1-2 pairs of socks to last me 41 days and nights camping in the snow oh god

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

theultimo posted:

If you're a scrub maybe. The Chaperone is where it's at.

I'm glad that the FBI's slow and steady approach brought a (relatively) peaceful end to this nonsense. It seemed like they were just pussyfooting around it for a while, but in the end they got them all out of there without turning it into Waco 2. It's a shame one of them had to die but at least they got the message that the feds were done loving around.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Epic High Five posted:

Oh god I just imagined having only 1-2 pairs of socks to last me 41 days and nights camping in the snow oh god

Please send snacks socks

ashpanash fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Feb 13, 2016

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Epic High Five posted:

Oh and the Bundy crowd didn't all just disperse after the 2014 showdown

My cousin was one of the two cops killed. I can't begin to express how much I hate these people.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
chitoryu12 did a fantastic comprehensive write-up of the entire fiasco. I've added a link to it at the top of the OP.

Polybius91
Jun 4, 2012

Cobrastan is not a real country.

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

TAMPONS? Those are for WOMEN! I won't go buy women's things like some emasculated liberal pussy! :bahgawd:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

TheMadMilkman posted:

My cousin was one of the two cops killed. I can't begin to express how much I hate these people.

:(

God I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully these fuckers continue to get their cause delegitimized and pushed away.

• Locked thread