Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Vorenus posted:

So what's the newest league I can get in on with other goons with a new character and now play in Standard (hell) or by myself (hell).

Talisman has like a month and a half left or something. Monsters carry sweet corrupted amulets, you combine sweet corrupted amulets in to a better amulet, repeat over and over to get a special map with a special boss fight. I think a lot of us have soured on it however because, well, like 4/5ths of the talismans you find are white, and since they're corrupted, they're then completely worthless. Kinda takes the wind out of your sails.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Count Uvula posted:

Talisman has like a month and a half left or something.

3 weeks left, to the day.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
Eh, maybe I'll start in the next one if people play then. In the meantime, the end of Act 4 has completely turned me off from this game. A4N is harder than I remember A2C/M ever being, and it's not so much skill-based as it is lazy, ham-fisted, gently caress-you difficulty.

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009

Vorenus posted:

Eh, maybe I'll start in the next one if people play then. In the meantime, the end of Act 4 has completely turned me off from this game. A4N is harder than I remember A2C/M ever being, and it's not so much skill-based as it is lazy, ham-fisted, gently caress-you difficulty.

A4N is definitely a gear/skill/determination check - but you don't lose exp so grab a night's hold, throw flame totem in there and zerg till it dies. ( or get a few levels in the dry lake)

Or message me in-game sometime and i'd be happy to rush you through (if you are playing talisman softcore)

Also, you only really have to do A4 in normal and cruel, you can skip it entirely (minus the spirit skill point and the dry lake) in merciless

IGN is LordAdakos

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
"Oh, people just sprinted their way through the Act 3 content we worked so carefully on, but they liked running Piety. How about we just give Pietyesque tedious slogs through corridors with a bossfight at the end of it? How about you do it three times? That's an Act!"

Torchoak Grove wasn't supposed to be bullshit, it was supposed to be Kole 2.0. Everyone loved Kole, right?

ImsaKidd
Jul 20, 2008

LordAdakos posted:

Just did merc malachai with dickbutt last night. What a pain in the neck that was. He was level 90 and I was 83 and we both pretty good survivability and dps but got wrecked a few times.

Is that encounter just tough to begin with?

Also dickbutt was doing a scion spectral throw with coc and gmp paired with what looked with ice spear and blast rain. I've looked around briefly but couldn't find a solud build guide. Anyone willing to give me a rundown on the best way to go about building that type of character? Any notable passives aside from crit chance? I'm assuming its going to be somewhere in shadow/witch territory most of the time? How do you cast spectral throw if its linked to coc?

edit: thanks budgie - I still feel like a bit of an idiot though:bang:

LordDickButts here.

My survivability relies on constantly killing mobs to refresh flasks (Vinktar's), so it's tough on bosses. Malachai is just laggy as poo poo (so it's hard to dodge stuff), and he does a lot of damage. gently caress that guy.

I used the Mathil Powerpoint build- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JliJj9S57fU

Some of the gear I use is expensive-ish (Maligaro's/Rat's Nest), but rares could do fine. Viktar's flask is a huge survivability boost, pretty much required for t8+ maps.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
I wonder why Mathil doesn't roll a Vagan dagger with that one.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Any build that relies on flasks heavily should carry around some Deadhand Talismans to drop for bosses to pick up. They make a huge difference, especially for CoC builds as they are more things to crit on on top of tons of flask charges.

ImsaKidd
Jul 20, 2008

ronya posted:

I wonder why Mathil doesn't roll a Vagan dagger with that one.

He mentions in the video that you can use a vagan dagger, but with all the dex/accuracy nodes you have ~85%+ hit chance already.

The stats you get from a caster dagger (spell damage/crit/etc) far outweigh an equally priced vagan dagger.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
so 3 weeks left to go in the league,

Looking for a different league starter build for Ascendancy, hardcore as always.

I've done over the last couple years:
Ethereal Knives + arctic build (not bad but not the same anymore)
Cyclone Duelist fortify this league (liked it, suffered from slow clears because cyclone isn't huge)
Ground slam marauder (first build ever, worked ok)
Dual totem fire templar (didn't really like the play style but it was safe and easy)
Tornado shot Ranger (liked it, just didn't have good defense, felt squishy)
Shadow essence drain contagion build (didn't like casting contagion then ED)
Spectral Throw Scion (year and a bit ago, was good at the time)
Carpet Bomber Fireball witch (was lots of fun)

Ideas:
-Crit Arc Witch
-Ranger tornado shot again
-some sort of cast on crit build.. I watched that scion spectral throw and liked it but Viktars and 6L at league start is always hard.. seems like a second character.

What I don't like:
-Unique dependant builds around a certain expensive piece. Like Volls Devotion stuff.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
I'm waiting to see the challenge league gimmick, but personally I'm thinking either a trapper Saboteur (probably try something unlikely to work first, like flame surge cluster traps, switch to firestorm when I get sick of being poo poo) or some form of horrible rain of splinters 4 totem build.

Vilgan
Dec 30, 2012

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Looking for a different league starter build for Ascendancy, hardcore as always.

I enjoyed my perma freeze witch. TSC this past league since I hadn't played in years and was super unfamiliar with things, but its a build I'd be willing to take into HC as well. It doesn't clear as fast as some of the other builds, but if you are careful it should be really safe and I had no issue popping right up to lvl 90 in tsc. Only deaths were due to stupidity or trying to do a4m malachai, no situations that the build felt unsuitable for. I was able to clear t12-t14 maps pretty easily, only exception was a twinned +crit + damage + other things t14 that ended up being more painful than expected. I also died a few times on lvl 76 rigwald, altho I probably would have been more careful in hc :P

Katasi
Nov 22, 2005
White water rafting down the river styx
Ascendency is going to come with a tree overhaul and significant balance changes. Until we see that, it's really hard to say. I could totally make a really awesome crit blade vortex build with the assassin subclass, but I have a feeling that blade vortex is going to get nerfed into oblivion before that can happen.

climboutonalimb
Sep 4, 2004

I get knocked down but I get up again You are never going to keep me down
I'm in a similar boat. I actually took Tasilman league off b/c no builds were interesting anymore. Essence drain looks neat; I'm thinking a ED RF regen build w/ Iron Will. Alternatively, I'm running races this season to get 100 pts for the Hungering Ice and maybe do a 4 totem bad Icestorm build.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

Vilgan posted:

I enjoyed my perma freeze witch.

What's the main skill sets? Freezing pulse/crit?

Why don't i see any ice spear builds btw?

Read
Dec 21, 2010

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Crit FP is what I'm running and I freeze pretty much everything. Ice Spear tends to get a lot less love because it requires more work to get the most out of - you need to properly space yourself to pierce the enemies you want to pierce or crit the enemies you want to crit. That being said GMP-Chain-Ice Spear + whatever dps links is still reasonably solid.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Freezing pulse, properly supported, also does just loving nuts single hit cold damage. Add some crit and crit multi, and/or stack a bunch of freeze duration and stuff just ain't moving after it eats a freezing pulse.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

NecroMonster posted:

Freezing pulse, properly supported, also does just loving nuts single hit cold damage. Add some crit and crit multi, and/or stack a bunch of freeze duration and stuff just ain't moving after it eats a freezing pulse.

I was thinking of trying to do a templar build like this actually.. but thought it wouldn't have enough defense, shadow would probably be better idea but grab acrobatics?

Edit: oh they changed acrobatics to be -50% energy shield too... so maybe not.

TipsyMcStagger fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Feb 13, 2016

Vilgan
Dec 30, 2012

TipsyMcStagger posted:

I used this post and a few others as a guideline, then went a lot more budget on gear and such:

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1397959

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

TipsyMcStagger posted:

I use Ice Spear in my CoC wander, so basically when you can cast ~4 spears in rapid succession for free it becomes alright

(damge nodes are all projectile/spell so technically I could use fireball instead)

Korwin
Jan 24, 2011
Is there a way to Change your mind about the Bandit quest?
I stupidly thought I were in act 2 normal, and klicket help on Oak, instead of kill since I was in cruel.

Alternatively is there some way an wispering ice witch can use that 16% physical damage buff from oak?

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Korwin posted:

Is there a way to Change your mind about the Bandit quest?
I stupidly thought I were in act 2 normal, and klicket help on Oak, instead of kill since I was in cruel.

Alternatively is there some way an wispering ice witch can use that 16% physical damage buff from oak?

There is, but it costs 20 regrets: http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Deal_with_the_Bandits#Quest_reward_change

Korwin
Jan 24, 2011

Thanks!

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
it's not really worth it unless you're changing the bandits on a level 90+ character

I'd just yell in guildchat for someone to rush you

Korwin
Jan 24, 2011

ronya posted:

it's not really worth it unless you're changing the bandits on a level 90+ character

I'd just yell in guildchat for someone to rush you
Yeah, I'll just keep playing her. After Talisman ends, I will change anyway (unless I reconsider), but it's good to know, I could if I really wanted to.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Vilgan posted:

I used this post and a few others as a guideline, then went a lot more budget on gear and such:

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1397959

I'm only in Standard A1C, but this build is really fun. A good crit on a Frostbitten mob w/ Herald of Ice can shatter half a screen of mobs.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

My safe builds I've got planned for new league hardcore are a permastunner using the new Earthquake skill for clearing (hoping this doesn't make the price of a Marohi go up too much) still waiting on the last Marauder subclass to decide what it might be because 2 of the Duelist ones will work great with it

Otherwise I'm trying to come up with a queen of the forest trapper using the new trap skill, maybe MoM, maybe blood magic, maybe with Clear Mind, maybe Elemental Equilibrium too. No clue yet.

3rd is a non-crit Taryns (later Pledge) Arctic Breath aoe build. Played one in the last flashback and it was safe and actually cleared really fast in a 4 link.

They should be able to do all map mods.

papanugget
Aug 8, 2000

TipsyMcStagger posted:

I've done over the last couple years:
Ethereal Knives + arctic build (not bad but not the same anymore)
Cyclone Duelist fortify this league (liked it, suffered from slow clears because cyclone isn't huge)
Ground slam marauder (first build ever, worked ok)
Dual totem fire templar (didn't really like the play style but it was safe and easy)
Tornado shot Ranger (liked it, just didn't have good defense, felt squishy)
Shadow essence drain contagion build (didn't like casting contagion then ED)
Spectral Throw Scion (year and a bit ago, was good at the time)
Carpet Bomber Fireball witch (was lots of fun)

Ideas:
-Crit Arc Witch
-Ranger tornado shot again
-some sort of cast on crit build.. I watched that scion spectral throw and liked it but Viktars and 6L at league start is always hard.. seems like a second character.

What I don't like:
-Unique dependant builds around a certain expensive piece. Like Volls Devotion stuff.

I started this THC league with nothing as https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgtikBRDEzM ZiggyD's Tanky Templar Arc. Was lucky with a a couple drops (namely a lightning dmg talisman and a scepter) and only had to buy a Geofri's Crest and a couple Vaal Storm Calls. Was doing pretty well and made it to 81 until a misclick strongbox death.

Pretty sure Bladefall is gonna get nerfed with the next patch but I've been having fun with my second toon. Self cast bladefall shadow. I use a flame totem for culling with rarity and distractions so it's fairly safe. Not the fastest clearing build but decent. Found 2 exalts and a voltaxic with him. Only "expensive" unique needed is an Alpha's howl but you can get along without one until you can afford it.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Any hope they'll make this cheaper given the ascendancy nodes are 5 each, and those have a larger impact?

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
I wouldn't bet on it.

RossCo
Dec 30, 2012

I have no idea what I am doing in almost any given situation.
Are there any other particularly good leveling builds that people recommend other than flame totem/firestorm?

Fifth character this league and it's starting to hurt my soul!

J
Jun 10, 2001

Since you've levelled multiple characters, you should have access to certain cheap levelling uniques, and some elreon jewelry. Flame totem + firestorm is great in part because it works without any gear. Gear helps it too of course, but having some levelling items also really speeds up other more gear dependent types of builds. For example, storm cloud bow is awesome for levelling with just about any bow skill in it up until your 50s somewhere. If you're a melee dude you can just use various unique 2handers as you level up with sweep, ice crash, cyclone, whatever skill you want and it will be fast. Just make sure to replace your weapon every 5ish levels or so, there are a lot of unique 2handers that you can cycle through as you level.

Get enough -mana cost from elreon jewelry so your attacks cost 0 mana or close to it, then reserve most or even 100% of your mana. Physical damage characters can use hatred+herald of ash, elemental focused characters can go ahead and reserve all their mana with herald of ice, thunder, and wrath and just plow through poo poo.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
If you're a caster and bored of firestorm, just cast your spell IMO. You'll have fun learning how to play with your spell or maybe some fun with the challenge of using your spell without having the links and other bonuses you'd have in the endgame.

For reference I'm an incinerate/tendrils/arc spammer.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
When I was levelling my RF IW build this league I actually found flame surge to be the fastest clearing skill I had, faster than firestorm even with no damage nodes other than the Templar AoE and the Marauder Fire/Regen nodes. Used fire trap and flame surge for the extra fire damage

Otherwise I'm pretty sure lightning trap is one of - if not the fastest clearing skill for levelling now and its really fun, especially with chain. It might just be a bit undiscovered

uhhhhahhhhohahhh fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Feb 14, 2016

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

When I was levelling my RF IW build this league I actually found flame surge to be the fastest clearing skill I had, faster than firestorm even with no damage nodes other than the Templar AoE and the Marauder Fire/Regen nodes. Used fire trap and flame surge for the extra fire damage

Otherwise I'm pretty sure lightning trap is one of - if not the fastest clearing skill for levelling now and its really fun, especially with chain. It might just be a bit undiscovered

explain.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
clear packs with:
lightning trap, multitrap, trap damage, controlled destruction

get two daggers with damage to spells and whirling blade from pack to pack, get help from goons for hard bosses

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

The Real Foogla posted:

clear packs with:
lightning trap, multitrap, trap damage, controlled destruction

get two daggers with damage to spells and whirling blade from pack to pack, get help from goons for hard bosses

see, that's why I can't get used to trapping just for leveling. You won't get Clever Construction, so you'll keep needing to call in airstrikes for any mob that cares to slap an aoe ground effect on you. Like, I dunno, half a dozen talismans out there, any evangelists, any AB leapers, etc.

Ornedan
Nov 4, 2009

Cybernetic Crumb
Why would you not get Clever Construction? I did just fine trapping my way through the arctic Malachai race. I got CC in early act 4, in time for the cycloning mini-bosses in Daresso's branch.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Apparently lighting trap is popular now in racing too. Didn't realize that. Probably a good indicator of it being good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

lurksion posted:

Apparently lighting trap is popular now in racing too. Didn't realize that. Probably a good indicator of it being good.

My hardcore LT build from the start of Talisman would one or two shot any pack without a rare, it's ace. It's kinda luck based but if you're crit based you can also one shot bosses besides Malachai and high tier map bosses by positioning a Vaal Spark trap perfectly (by shift-clicking the trap close enough that it will activate without being actually on them): if the projectiles overlap with the bosses hit box, the projectiles all miss, but if they're even a pixel outside of that hit box they'll all hit, and then if it crits you'll kill bosses in about 1/4th of your total sparks.

• Locked thread