Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Apparently it does because the temperament of the replies so far are as if I insulted their mothers as well as questioned the math. It still seems odd that this particular method is somehow easier than simply writing out x-y=z, which itself is just a written expression than can be done in your head anyways.

BUT, BUT, I acknowledge the lone image isn't a full representation of what they are trying to teach.

vvvvv Quite true, my poor choice of words betrayed me vvvvv

I don't think the point is necessarily that the number line method is "easier" or "faster" than the standard x-y=z (I mean, it obviously isn't) but by showing subtraction in the context of a number line, some of the underlying mechanics of math are exposed and hopefully in the process of learning those mechanics they can be tied into other concepts and principles. By then including a "write a letter" component, it gives the student a chance to work through what they've done and explain it to someone else, which is another way of reinforcing new material.

That also gives more points of a failure I suppose, and it doesn't help if you have a father who dislikes encountering things that they can't understand when you ask them for help and then fails to properly do your homework for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Montag
Jun 24, 2005

Everyone ITT needs to watch this now. This is happening in my dinky appalachian state just like so many other states with rabidly right wing legislatures. This is new to us though. The Delegate featured is Mike Pushkin who is so awesome I wish I lived in his district. He's a working class dude (cab driver) and he doesn't mince his words.

Stick it out to the end for an amazingly sick burn.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

:rip: Gilmentum

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
this fuckin' guy:

quote:

Staten Island Borough President James Oddo put a burn for the ages on the real estate developers Savo Brothers this week. By Oddo’s choosing, three streets in a new Savo development will be named after rough synonyms for greed, avarice, and deceit.

As borough president, Oddo has the power to decide on names of streets, and presumably chose Cupidity Drive, Fourberie Lane, and Avidity Place in response to Savo’s decision to tear down Mount Manresa, a century-old Jesuit retreat on the Island. Savo Brothers, which purchased the site from the Jesuits, demolished the retreat amidst much public protest. It will be replaced by a condo development.

Savo Brothers took Oddo to court over the street names, calling them “derogatory” and “an abuse of the respondent’s discretion.” Thursday, a judge ruled in Oddo’s favor, writing “it is within Borough President James Oddo’s discretion to decide if the street names of the residents of the Borough of Staten Island should reflect greed, a Lazy Bird or a fallen hero.”

Below, watch Oddo tell a Colbert-style Norwegian comedian to get the gently caress out of his office back in 2007, when he was a City Council member. It doesn’t particularly pertain to yesterday’s reading, but it’s a fun video for a Friday afternoon. Staten Island stand up!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1iNH7W9SC8

pro-click video

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

stick around to the end if you were just gonna scroll past it - gladdens my fuckin heart this guy

pathetic little tramp fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Feb 12, 2016

Guy Montag
Jun 24, 2005

pathetic little tramp posted:

stick around to the end if you're just gonna scroll past it - gladdens my fuckin heart this guy

He is a great follow on twitter, he disses on the GOP regularly and it is awesome.

https://twitter.com/pushkinforhouse/status/689417911371337728

https://twitter.com/pushkinforhouse/status/690529560006369280

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Math chat owns

I find that the common core stuff seems to separate out those who learned how to get the answers out of math vs those who learned math, if that makes any sense. The former are the ones who complain about word problems and "I never use this".

SumYungGui posted:

One of the more awe inspiring things to realize about math, and something that would seriously never have happened to me if it weren't for one specific amazingly good teacher, is that at some point it transitions into what feels like learning a language, not learning math. There comes a point where things just click together and you realize you're not just memorizing another stupid pointless formula, you're figuring out the alphabet of an entirely different language that can show you some really mind-blowing things.

Or basically this.

That people can learn to get answers out of math isn't a problem, it lets then get the job done and ultimately that's what counts. But understanding math conceptually is so much easier, particularly in our modern digital world, where there are tons of machines that can do operations for you so the real skill is seeing how to put operations together because you speak the language of math.

foobardog posted:

Well the point isn't even to just teach one algorithm for doing this, but to teach many and be able to train students on generating their own through comparison. This particularly applies to programming.

I don't use arithmetic itself all that much as a programmer, but I do need to be able to understand how to generate solutions to problems through the commonalities to them.

This is to the point as well, that understanding how operations link together conceptually is what you are really gaining here, not that 12*12=144.

Like you never need to specifically drop the quadratic equation in day to day stuff, but the skills you learn in algebra class of "identify terms, find what is missing, rearrange components to get the missing value" is something everyone does every day instinctively now.

If you want some real mind blowing stuff with math and concepts there is Godel Escher Bach. Which yeah is the one book every pseudo intellectual has read and claims explains everything, but it does that because it really does link together concepts in a mindblowing and revolutionarily different way that can change how you see the world. The catch is to not let it be just the one book you read and keep building on top of that.

The MIT course on GEB is on YouTube btw, really helps add to it

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...id=ss_tw-bottom

:bravo: Florida Man.

quote:

A Florida man admitted Friday that he threatened to firebomb or shoot up two mosques in two, Islamaphobic diatribes that he left on voicemail.

Martin Alan Schnitzler, 43, pleaded guilty to obstructing persons in the free exercise of religious beliefs, a hate crime. His expletive-laced screed, which was left on the voicemails of the Islamic Society of St. Petersburg, Fla., and the Islamic Society of Pinellas County, Fla. on Nov. 13, was inspired by the terrorist attacks in Paris that night, prosecutors said.

“Yes, I’m a red-blooded American watching the news in France,” Schnitzler said, according to his plea agreement. “I’m over this [expletive]. I’m calling all mosques in Pinellas County. I’m bringing it to you, baby. I’m tired of this [expletive]. Guard your children. I don’t care if you’re extremists or not.”

Inspired by terrorism, I'm going to commit terrorism!

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

zoux posted:

Alright I don't want to hear another thing from you motherfuckers about how Ted Cruz can't pass legislation..
https://twitter.com/nielslesniewski/status/698190690652680192

Obama has issued a veto threat on this, which is basically everything Ted Cruz could have ever hoped for

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
https://twitter.com/nielslesniewski/status/698278232672567298

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
The only thing that will save us from right-wing terrorism is that they are so stupid they believe that they won't be prosecuted because they're white.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
You say that now but they're becoming more and more radicalized to the point I think it's more likely we'll see a mass shooting or other attack perpetuated by right wing soveriegn citizen nutjobs ... oh wait.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Fried Chicken posted:

Or basically this.

That people can learn to get answers out of math isn't a problem, it lets then get the job done and ultimately that's what counts. But understanding math conceptually is so much easier, particularly in our modern digital world, where there are tons of machines that can do operations for you so the real skill is seeing how to put operations together because you speak the language of math.

If this could become reality for most kids, it'd be the greatest. I've pretty much been an enemy of math my entire life and if some kids can not have to go through that hell in the same way, so much the better. I guess theres that lingering anxiety of your kids understanding something that you may never be able to that is responsible for a lot of push back against this sort of thing.

His Purple Majesty
Dec 12, 2008
I honestly dont see the need to switch from the old method. When I was in school if you wanted to learn math you had a ton of practice via homework and if that still stumped you you asked questions. What I'm more concerned about is the fact that I'm still running into people that are straight up illiterate in the year 2016. I know people that can handle trig and calc but cannot sign their own name or struggle to read a sentence.

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

Okan170 posted:

If this could become reality for most kids, it'd be the greatest. I've pretty much been an enemy of math my entire life and if some kids can not have to go through that hell in the same way, so much the better. I guess theres that lingering anxiety of your kids understanding something that you may never be able to that is responsible for a lot of push back against this sort of thing.

More or less the same debate was going on in the 60s, when we introduced the "New Math" into schools. There was clear agreement that we needed to train scientists and engineers faster than the Red Menace could train theirs, and that the old methods of math weren't sufficient. In a truly brilliant move, California got Richard Feynman to join the board that was picking out their textbooks. He wrote an entire essay about it, but I've always thought this part was particularly relevant:

Feynman posted:

What is the best method to obtain the solution to a problem? The answer is, any way that works. So what we want in arithmetic textbooks is not to teach a particular way of doing every problem but, rather, to teach what the original problem is, and to leave a much greater freedom in obtaining the answer -- but, of course, no freedom as to what the right answer should be. That is to say, there may be several ways of adding 17 and 15 (or, rather, of obtaining the solution to the sum of 17 and 15) but there is only one correct answer.

What we have been doing in the past is teaching just one fixed way to do arithmetic problems, instead of teaching flexibility of mind -- the various possible ways of thinking about it, and the possible ways of getting at the problem.

What I particularly enjoy about Common Core is that, fifty years later, they're finally taking his advice. It's less cool to see that the people who originally objected to the New Math now have grandchildren who are using the same arguments.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
The Common Core math approach tries to apply a good set of ideas about problem solving to calculations so basic that they do not require any particular thought. 100+250 is not the best place to start with that stuff - they are taking a better approach, maybe, but to the same old dumb problems that students don't need to spend years masturbating over.

edit: Feynman gets it - that mentality isn't failing a kid for not using a particular form of "show your work", conventional or Common Core.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

quote:

While campaigning for a tax increase, Louisiana governor John Bel Edwards said the LSU football team is in jeopardy of being cut.

"If you are a student attending one of these universities, it means that you will receive a grade of incomplete, many students will not be able to graduate, and student-athletes across the state at those schools will be ineligible to play next semester," Edwards said. "That means you can say farewell to college football next fall." The state of Louisiana is facing a nearly $1 billion deficit, prompting Edwards' rhetoric. He also threatened that the state would be forced to shut down hospice services if new taxes aren't approved soon. Louisiana residents need not worry about LSU football going away. We aren't sure what will play worse among Edwards' denizens, the threat of axing the Bayou Bengals or the threat of yanking treatment for the sick. One way or the other, if Edwards gets anywhere near the beloved LSU football institution, he'll find himself clearing out his office soon thereafter.

In what swamp will this guy's body be found?

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Okan170 posted:

One of my favorite lines in "What a Wonderful World" by Louis Armstrong is "I hear babies cry, and see children grow, they'll learn much more than I'll ever know... And I think to myself, What a Wonderful World."

It makes me sad that people don't want to see their kids be smarter than them.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

shovelbum posted:

The Common Core math approach tries to apply a good set of ideas about problem solving to calculations so basic that they do not require any particular thought. 100+250 is not the best place to start with that stuff - they are taking a better approach, maybe, but to the same old dumb problems that students don't need to spend years masturbating over.

edit: Feynman gets it - that mentality isn't failing a kid for not using a particular form of "show your work", conventional or Common Core.

Yeah, this has been the admitted downside of common core. They just replace having to do things with one algorithm with a few and mark things wrong when the current algorithm is not used.

But that's a problem with over testing and the teachers themselves often not understanding it nor being given the time to do so.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

foobardog posted:

Yeah, this has been the admitted downside of common core. They just replace having to do things with one algorithm with a few and mark things wrong when the current algorithm is not used.

But that's a problem with over testing and the teachers themselves often not understanding it nor being given the time to do so.

I almost wonder if making earth-shattering changes in elementary math ed is even a productive idea to consider- there are a lot of structural obstacles to any changes there, that go beyond "mere politics". Elementary teachers are spread thinly over a broad range of subjects and did not study any of them in depth in college, and without changing either the structure of elementary school or of educator training (or both) we can't ask for a more advanced approach to mathematics.

The traditional and terrible Algebra 1/Geometry/Algebra 2 classes might be a more productive place to start, because they are by and large taught by people with 4 year math degrees.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

shovelbum posted:

Remember the target audience for Common Core. While for someone old enough these calculations are basic and do not require any particular thought, for first or second graders these math problems can be quite difficult. Giving students additional tools to solve a problem does not invalidate the ones already in use, but it does help those who learn differently. Using pictures, number lines, or weights on a scale can make these problems visual or tactile and lead students to better understand and solve the problem.

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Coming from the perspective of someone who has taken real analysis, Common Core is actually pretty loving useful in getting kids to understands math as more than just arithmetic.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

SumYungGui posted:

loving.....AAAAAAAH you made me do this. Remember that.

Yes one example exercise entirely divorced from context and not even attempting to understand what it is conveying looks strange. This should not come as a shocker to anyone but welp here we are so of course context means zero point jack poo poo. AS AN ILLUSTRATION (seriously that part right there is really important) I'll set up an example based on the rote memorization mathematics philosophy most people were probably taught under. THIS WILL BE AN ILLUSTRATION and that context can hopefully be expanded on to explain why this approach to mathematics takes the steps it does and how, when given in context, they make a lot more sense.

Imagine if you will you're first or second grader or something who has zero concept of what multiplication is because you're still a kid, glue tastes good and you learned to tie your shoes last year. You've just completed a section of mathematics explaining how you can take one number, put it next to another number and "add" them to get a bigger number. This was probably illustrated with blocks or something because you're a kid and the world is new to you. So you've got this addition stuff down and now the teacher starts talking about multiplication. Through some wizardry that means precisely nothing to you yet, 7 and 7 can equal 49. Well that makes no sense because 7 and 7 makes 14 while 4 and 9 makes 13 so what's all this stuff about? Then the teacher explains it to you as 7 + 7 + 7 + 7 + 7 + 7 + 7 = 49. Hey that makes sense you're basically doing a lot of that adding stuff you figured out not too long ago. So when you get 32 * 17 just add 32 + 32 + 32..... Wait that sucks. So you learn how to multiply numbers. You used the concept that was given to you before, expanded on it to absorb a new technique of dealing with numbers and now you've progressed as a student.

But you're parents are so god drat stupid with no loving clue about anything they run to Face-space-twitter and poo poo out a meme onto the world how 7 + 7 + 7 + 7 + 7 + 7 + 7 is such a dumb way to do math why would anyone bother with that it's complicated and useless and takes too long and anyone who tries to do things that way is dumb and stupid and we're so much better than them because we don't do things that way.

Well congratu-loving-lations on latching on to 7 + 7 + 7 + 7 + 7 + 7 + 7, now get out of the room and let the people who are smarter than their shoe size teach your children because you're not qualified to do a drat thing.

edit: this has a harsh tone but it's not direct towards you. It's directed towards the parents who don't even begin to ask the questions you just did attempting to figure out what is going on and just get all :smuggo: about how they're right

This is why home schooling should be illegal except for the most extreme cases.

Religious objections do not count.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Fried Chicken posted:

Obama has issued a veto threat on this, which is basically everything Ted Cruz could have ever hoped for

I mean yeah gently caress China on human rights and politics but probably doing petty owns is not the most productive way to move foward on US-Chinese relations.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

This is why home schooling should be illegal except for the most extreme cases.

Religious objections do not count.

But They look really smart and actually deserving of a pleasant life, doing it all in a Panera though?!

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

Ardlen posted:

Remember the target audience for Common Core. While for someone old enough these calculations are basic and do not require any particular thought, for first or second graders these math problems can be quite difficult. Giving students additional tools to solve a problem does not invalidate the ones already in use, but it does help those who learn differently. Using pictures, number lines, or weights on a scale can make these problems visual or tactile and lead students to better understand and solve the problem.

Remember that for any kids that are struggling, if they've got decent parents their parents are trying to help them with this stuff. If their parents can't help them because what they learned is very different, they've got a problem, as it's very possible that the teachers are overworked (or are just bad). Some of the criticism of Common Core is purely reactionary hogwash, but some of it is coming from parents whose kids aren't in the best schools, who have overworked teachers, and who also likely are working full-time or multiple part-time jobs and can't afford tutors nor do they have tons of time to relearn all of this, if they are capable of doing so in the first place. Common Core is a visible target for frustration with the state of public education.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

foobardog posted:

One of my favorite lines in "What a Wonderful World" by Louis Armstrong is "I hear babies cry, and see children grow, they'll learn much more than I'll ever know... And I think to myself, What a Wonderful World."

It makes me sad that people don't want to see their kids be smarter than them.

Probably because they're deeply insecure and authoritarian and so they need to feel that they always have their children under their thumb so they can control them better.

Smarter than you = losing control = fear and anxiety

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Probably because they're deeply insecure and authoritarian and so they need to feel that they always have their children under their thumb so they can control them better.

Smarter than you = losing control = fear and anxiety

The anxiety about Common Core is exactly the opposite - they fear that this is a less effective way of teaching their children than the way they were used to.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

computer parts posted:

The anxiety about Common Core is exactly the opposite - they fear that this is a less effective way of teaching their children than the way they were used to.

I'm referring specifically to the notion of why parents would be opposed to having their children be smarter than them.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

I'm referring specifically to the notion of why parents would be opposed to having their children be smarter than them.

And the presumption in the post you quoted is that parents oppose Common Core because they don't want their children to be smarter than them.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

computer parts posted:

And the presumption in the post you quoted is that parents oppose Common Core because they don't want their children to be smarter than them.

I don't know. I think a lot of it is actually people who are realizing they aren't as good at math as they think they are because they were good at drill and kill and don't realize that's not what math really is.

I thought I was good at math until I got to college and couldn't do a proof to save my life.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Opposition to common core, from both the right and the left, is not really about the common core. The left tends to oppose it because they oppose standardized testing, which is valid, but standardized testing is going to exist with or without the common core. The right tends to oppose it because they oppose the Federal government doing anything, and they might make are children learn about racism.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

foobardog posted:

I don't know. I think a lot of it is actually people who are realizing they aren't as good at math as they think they are because they were good at drill and kill and don't realize that's not what math really is.

I thought I was good at math until I got to college and couldn't do a proof to save my life.

I think my biggest objection to it is that it can be easily mutated into a new and unconventional form of "drill and kill for the big test". A problem with any of the STEM pushes these days really.

I understand that we want kids who can write proofs and solve problems, that's a great goal for a mathematics curriculum and dovetails really nicely with CS education as well, but what I've seen of Common Core math doesn't go far enough in that direction, it's politically-expensive window dressing.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

FizFashizzle posted:

Sadly I can predict how this is going to work....the state is going to continue to have problems because of the budget problems, people will now blame the Democratic governor, and will then elect a Republican in 4 years because the Dem had to clean up the mess the GOP left.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

FizFashizzle posted:

Guess Jindal managed to pass the buck successfully.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
In regards to stupid parents: it's perfectly OK in Idaho to use faith healing. Children die because praying doesn't do poo poo to diabetes or even food poisoning.

Here's an OK story about it

Islam is the Lite Rock FM fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Feb 13, 2016

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

so is Hillary vs. Bernie chat frowned upon in here or something goddamn

Obama is obviously too much of a centrist, and looks like Hillary is still peddling how great he is based on that PBS debate. Good strategy? not sure. the most obvious problem here is Hillary's advocacy of the ACA which forces people to buy high deductible junk and funnel their money over to brokers, general agents, and insurance companies with costs that aren't even prevented from skyrocketing. Yeah, gently caress Hillary I'm sure Hillary is a nice lady but I think we can be bolder on issues and not settle for mediocrity

Mokelumne Trekka fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Feb 13, 2016

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

so is Hillary vs. Bernie chat frowned upon in here or something goddamn

Obama is obviously too much of a centrist, and looks like Hillary is still peddling how great he is based on that PBS debate. Good strategy? not sure. the most obvious problem here is Hillary's advocacy of the ACA which forces people to buy high deductible junk and funnel their money over to brokers, general agents, and insurance companies with costs that aren't even prevented from skyrocketing. Yeah, gently caress Hillary.

Yeah. There are like 3 threads in YCS for this stuff, go there.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Logikv9 posted:

Yeah. There are like 3 threads in YCS for this stuff, go there.

the Democratic primary thread with the two turd colored ratings bars next to it looks good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

the Democratic primary thread with the two turd colored ratings bars next to it looks good

And now you know why Democratic primary chat is banned in this thread.

• Locked thread