Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

:toxx:

Formal toxx clause - Liberals will not gain an active majority at the next election (too much poo poo in their way), instead the next government will be a labour minority government, with greens voting with them on key issues and to confirm supply, and to keep power away from the libs.

PUP / KAP will fail to win any seats, Jacqui Lambie will likely retain her seat, and I also predict that Ricky Muir will keep his seat. I predict that Tony Abbott will run for his seat again and lose.

Bill Shorten will lead until the election, if he loses, he will voluntarily step down.

If Malcolm Turnbull doesn't win an outright majority, I predict a coup lead by ScoMo

If I don't get at least 3 of these right, I'll autoban myself

tithin fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Feb 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Lambie and Muir aren't up for reelection, so you got one at least.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I thought they were running as independents?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Maybe at the next election. Senate terms are six years.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Bah, I thought they were on the same cycle. Well, I guess we'll replace that one.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

tithin posted:

Formal toxx clause - Liberals will not gain an active majority at the next election (too much poo poo in their way), instead the next government will be a labour minority government, with greens voting with them on key issues and to confirm supply, and to keep power away from the libs.

PUP / KAP will fail to win any seats, Jacqui Lambie will likely retain her seat, and I also predict that Ricky Muir will keep his seat. I predict that Tony Abbott will run for his seat again and lose.

Bill Shorten will lead until the election, if he loses, he will voluntarily step down.

If Malcolm Turnbull doesn't win an outright majority, I predict a coup lead by ScoMo

If I don't get at least 3 of these right, I'll autoban myself

:rip:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Wagering against Turnbull is suicide. An election would be called at the first sign of polls heading towards 50 50

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

:greenangel:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Anidav posted:

Wagering against Turnbull is suicide. An election would be called at the first sign of polls heading towards 50 50
They're not going to call a DD or a Reps-only election though.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
Tony Abbott makes joke about wet dreams in Parliament, no-one laughs

The video is worth watching. The awkward pause where he waits for laughs and then looks down and licks his lips is pure, concentrated schadenfreude.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I would argue a DD election is a higher chance than ever with the polls I've seen being done. There's some serious LNP legwork going into this particular topic.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

SadisTech posted:

Tony Abbott makes joke about wet dreams in Parliament, no-one laughs

The video is worth watching. The awkward pause where he waits for laughs and then looks down and licks his lips is pure, concentrated schadenfreude.

Is there some economic term I'm missing? That doesn't even make sense as a basic sentence to me, let alone as a joke.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Anidav posted:

I would argue a DD election is a higher chance than ever with the polls I've seen being done. There's some serious LNP legwork going into this particular topic.

They're desperate to break that Senate, but all I can see arising from a DD is a worse Senate than ever, unless they plan to spend absolutely zillions to shut everyone else out, and that strategy never works on the Senate and only sometimes in the Reps.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Cartoon posted:

May I remind you:

Deputy Prime Minister Barnaby Joyce. This is the man who puts the gently caress into fuckup. He's only been in the job a day and he's already dropped a clanger. He has a huge track record of saying stupid poo poo and it looks like there are some other Nats on their way into the cabinet clown car. Turdball also has to stand in the mess that is ~his~ NBN implementation. That all spells a recipe for Red Nose day to me.

This government will stay in as long as Howard did

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

ewe2 posted:

They're desperate to break that Senate, but all I can see arising from a DD is a worse Senate than ever, unless they plan to spend absolutely zillions to shut everyone else out, and that strategy never works on the Senate and only sometimes in the Reps.

That's what those senate reforms are for. Didn't they get passed the other day?

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

Zenithe posted:

Is there some economic term I'm missing? That doesn't even make sense as a basic sentence to me, let alone as a joke.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wets_and_dries

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Skellybones posted:

This government will stay in as long as Howard did
How much of a clown car collision they are doesn't go to longevity. Until this last round of pooch screwing Turdball was doing a reasonable job of not appearing at the front of a scrum of poo poo eating clowns. I have every confidence that the Australian public are stupid enough to still vote for this level of horn honking poo poo smeared wacky jokers. I'm just pointing out that any analysis that concludes 'Good move, well managed team' is vastly mistaken. Well unless the only metric is can the colostomy bag explode with enough force to get the majority of its contents over the line in an election (al la JWH). In which case mea culpa.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

gay picnic defence posted:

That's what those senate reforms are for. Didn't they get passed the other day?

A DD halves the quota (since you need to elect 12 Senators, not 6), so it becomes much, much easier for minor parties to get in. Those changes might reduce it a bit but it's still a huge gamble.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Thanks. Yeah, not funny.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

A DD halves the quota (since you need to elect 12 Senators, not 6), so it becomes much, much easier for minor parties to get in. Those changes might reduce it a bit but it's still a huge gamble.

It doesn't reduce it a bit it basically removes the chance. Only Minor party to get senators will be the Greens and Xenophon (+1 maybe) under the changes proposed.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

EvilElmo posted:

It doesn't reduce it a bit it basically removes the chance. Only Minor party to get senators will be the Greens and Xenophon (+1 maybe) under the changes proposed.

In a DD though?

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

EvilElmo posted:

So a progressive right party and a progressive centrist party. Bedfellows of the ALP and their union backers.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Turdball is smug enough to go to DD and scream Muh Innovation from the hilltops.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

The headline on the Weekend Murdoch is "Labor's hit on mom and pop property investors"

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

In a DD though?

Yeah, it's structural change they're looking at.

So candidates with under x% (can't remember the exact number) of the vote get ignored, so the weird preference deals that allowed Muir to get up won't matter anymore. It will certainly turn it from being near impossible to very hard. They'd need a big personal following and voter turnout. If all the racist UPF etc. groups get together and get behind 1 candidate in NSW and QLD they might get a senator in each state. But that isn't going to happen. All the vanity candidates will flock to the senate ticket in the view it's easy to get elected, which will kill their respective chances of getting up.

quote:

So a progressive right party and a progressive centrist party. Bedfellows of the ALP and their union backers.

Okay?

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Anidav posted:

The headline on the Weekend Murdoch is "Labor's hit on mom and pop property investors"

:eyepoop:

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
I'd vote for Bill scroten if he put out a hit on mum and dad property investors

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE
I need a permaban. It doesn't get better.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Anidav posted:

Seems like a wager that would be taken up by Anid...

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Tokamak posted:

Seems like a wager that would be taken up by Anid...

:clint:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Jesus why does the imgur app do that compression.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
No you see guys we need an agile and responsive economy, which is why we need to cut penalty rates and invest heavily in mining and oil and gas.

AGILE!

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

Solemn Sloth posted:

I'd vote for Bill scroten if he put out a hit on mum and dad property investors

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

lol, jk. i'd never vote for that piece of poo poo. I lived in his electorate last federal election. It's all my fault.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
Why isn't EvilElmo shilling hard for Labor in the last few posts WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH eVIL eLMO?

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Bill Snorten, less progressive than an American Democrat presidential candidate.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Local union experts, how is the CPSU? I know that some unions are pretty dodgy eg the SDA tend to be pretty shite, does the CPSU tend to be ok?

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

BBJoey posted:

Local union experts, how is the CPSU? I know that some unions are pretty dodgy eg the SDA tend to be pretty shite, does the CPSU tend to be ok?

I'm not a union expert but I've been a CPSU member (and occasional delegate) for 20 years. I'd describe them as "good hearted but ineffectual" - they try but don't really seem to accomplish much. Given the public service is their domain that's perhaps not too surprising.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

BBJoey posted:

From everything I have heard, the CPSU tend to be waaaaay better than the SDA. Strong workplace representation, way less likely to sell its members out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

BBJoey posted:

CPSU good union. Left aligned. Very open with good governance.

If you're not going to join the CPSU, I can't see you joining a union ever.

Starshark posted:

Why isn't EvilElmo shilling hard for Labor in the last few posts WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH eVIL eLMO?

You're new here?

• Locked thread