Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

TheKingofSprings posted:

Along with 3 Karplusan Forest for reasons

Something like 250 reasons these days :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

https://twitter.com/maro254/status/698311125520134145

everyone go to Maro's twitter and tell him about unfinished cycles

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Cernunnos posted:

The Bofa-lands will be used as budget duals for all eternity and will probably only get played in 2 color decks (and Scapeshift because 2 of them say "Mountain") at high levels and even then it'll be rare.

It's for this specific reason that I'm sad there's no Mountain Island bofaland.

Then I could play Painter for a Helluva lot cheaper.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
LSV promotes his new game, which is basically just an MTG-Hearthstone hybrid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XX0MdD_tt-o

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Angry Grimace posted:

LSV promotes his new game, which is basically just an MTG-Hearthstone hybrid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XX0MdD_tt-o
Doesn't seem anything like hearthstone to me- the core rules feel very Magic. Apparently the game has a serious PVE element as well. I guess it's more "Hex, but by competent designers"

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

sarmhan posted:

Doesn't seem anything like hearthstone to me- the core rules feel very Magic. Apparently the game has a serious PVE element as well. I guess it's more "Hex, but by competent designers"

It's still a digital card game and those take a lot of infrastructure and planning. Not to mention, it's on a tough market. Not saying I wouldn't mind seeing another on the market succeed, but I won't be surprised at it petering out.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Ramos posted:

It's still a digital card game and those take a lot of infrastructure and planning. Not to mention, it's on a tough market. Not saying I wouldn't mind seeing another on the market succeed, but I won't be surprised at it petering out.
I mean yea it's barely even been seen by the public at this point. I'm just basing this off of the video, which looks nice and smooth with a good UI, and the mechanics, which seem like a much better leverage of the digital TCG space than other entrants into that field.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

TheKingofSprings posted:

Along with 3 Karplusan Forest for reasons

I think there's about 200 reasons...

Also Kalitas will probably make it into BGx decks (Reid Duke had it in his Jund build that did well at the PT)

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Dungeon Ecology posted:

https://twitter.com/maro254/status/698311125520134145

everyone go to Maro's twitter and tell him about unfinished cycles

Recent, but the black planeswalker Oath that's just Ob flipping off the camera.

pctD
Aug 25, 2009

Pillbug
I wanna see them finish the figure of destiny/warden of the first tree cycle.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

pctD posted:

I wanna see them finish the figure of destiny/warden of the first tree cycle.

They're not quite part of the same cycle though :v: but semantics aside, I would like to see either of them fleshed out more.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I lost a game to six Reality Smashers in a row tonight.

(2 of them Mirrorpool copies)

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

If you think about it, most cards are part of unfinished cycles.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

The Shortest Path posted:

If you think about it, most cards are part of unfinished cycles.

Woah man, you're, like, blowing my mind.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I hope someday they finish the Reality Smasher cycle.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

mcmagic posted:

Most of Visions' power is to play it on T1 or T2 and draw 3 a few turns later, not to cascade into it. Yeah it's a bad late game top deck but so what? It's oppressive if you get it down early.

Card is too soft to Commandeer, it would never see play in any real formats.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
I'm taking a UR Eldrazi standard deck to game day tomorrow. I will probably lose terribly.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Well I was completely wrong about new Chandra, card is good. It can just win the game by itself a lot of the time. Played it in R/B control, was awesome.

I had her and Ob in play together several times, flavor fail.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

stinkles1112 posted:

Well I was completely wrong about new Chandra, card is good. It can just win the game by itself a lot of the time. Played it in R/B control, was awesome.

I had her and Ob in play together several times, flavor fail.

A lot of people were wrong about what is intentionally the (Second?) Best Chandra Ever Printed.

Turns out even if you only get to do it once, 6 damage is still 6 damage.

Alternatively, she wins the long game by giving you draw for days.

keeblerdrow
May 4, 2004
Still not king, damnit.
I'm glad I don't own any Chandras yet. If I had any, I just KNOW I'd fall into the trap of trying to build a Sphinx's Tutelage deck. I saw one that won on damage more often than it actually milled anyone on the Hareruya stream a few nights ago. It ignited a fire in me to play a bad deck and not owning any Chandras is keeping me from that.

Also, someone needs to reply to Maro with a meme picture saying "Anything is a cycle, if you're brave enough."

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

I'm trying to put a RU deck together, but i'm having trouble figuring out if i wanna slide on into RU Artifacts or just RU Prowess. Heck, maybe even go Temur Prowess (Focus on Swiftspear/Stormchaser) with new Chandra? I dunno, I just see some potential here with Herald of Kozilek that may not have been really explored. Thoughts?

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I'm taking a UR Eldrazi standard deck to game day tomorrow. I will probably lose terribly.

If Skyspawner can win a Pro Tour it can win you a Pervert Chandra Playmat.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Frozen_flame posted:

If Skyspawner can win a Pro Tour it can win you a Pervert Chandra Playmat.

Hey man, she's just an advocate for free loving.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
Chandra's 0 discarding a bunch of cards also looks way more interesting when Madness is coming back.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Attorney at Funk posted:

Chandra's 0 discarding a bunch of cards also looks way more interesting when Madness is coming back.

Please let the red/blue madness deck exist. Or red/green. Or temur. I'll play any any T2 madness deck because I love weird T2 standard decks.

Which is why I am a currently playing B/U aristocrats and R/U prowess (and also because they're insanely fun to play)

Edit: it helps that both of those decks are great against 4-colour rally which is the bogeyman of standard or so I am told. Downside is that aristocrats has a tough time against wet junk and prowess has a tough time against dark jeskai.

Mezzanon fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Feb 13, 2016

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=11533&d=265612&f=ST

I ran the BW Eldrazi list to a 4-0, 8-2 overall record last night. Had to replace 2 Transgress with a Duress, Hidden Dragonslayer with Murderous Cut, 2 SB Dragonslayer with Surge of Righteousness. Deck is legit. Working today because I'm a dumb who forgot to request it off, but excited to take it to game day tomorrow.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
I played against a really interesting mono-white Eldrazi hatebears deck in modern today. It had both Vryn Wingmare and Thalia out, and then grabbed a bunch of my lands out from under me with Eldrazi Displacer + Flickerwisp. In another match it used the Leonin Arbiter + Ghost Quarter combo to lock me out of the game. Really cool deck, and chatting to the pilot it seems to have a really good Eldrazi matchup (presumably Eldrazi are libertarians and don't like being taxed).

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Oh poo poo, tomorrow's game day already? Valentine's Day again, Wizards? Come on.

I might just run my lovely GR BFZ deck back. :effort: Outland Colossus + Temur Battle Rage = lol

If I had some Displacers I'd love to brew up some Collected Company Bant deck with Reflector Mage and others.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Lancelot posted:

I played against a really interesting mono-white Eldrazi hatebears deck in modern today. It had both Vryn Wingmare and Thalia out, and then grabbed a bunch of my lands out from under me with Eldrazi Displacer + Flickerwisp. In another match it used the Leonin Arbiter + Ghost Quarter combo to lock me out of the game. Really cool deck, and chatting to the pilot it seems to have a really good Eldrazi matchup (presumably Eldrazi are libertarians and don't like being taxed).

That just sounds like a regular Hatebears deck with Displacer? Were there any other Eldrazi in there? I've had half a mind to build Hatebears, I'd be curious to see what else was in there.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

odiv posted:

Oh poo poo, tomorrow's game day already? Valentine's Day again, Wizards? Come on.

I might just run my lovely GR BFZ deck back. :effort: Outland Colossus + Temur Battle Rage = lol

If I had some Displacers I'd love to brew up some Collected Company Bant deck with Reflector Mage and others.

Yeah man think of all the hot sweaty nerds that have dates on Sunday!

(its me I'm the hot sweaty nerd with a date on sunday :argh:)

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

C-Euro posted:

That just sounds like a regular Hatebears deck with Displacer? Were there any other Eldrazi in there? I've had half a mind to build Hatebears, I'd be curious to see what else was in there.
I haven't checked in on the D&T thread in a few weeks but the early testing consensus was 2-3 Displacers fit right into the deck's build. Like, the manabase I had been using contained 9 colorless sources (4 GQ, 3 Tec Edge, 2 Mutavault) so Displacer's ability is pretty well turned on. Also WB versions of the deck had already been running Wasteland Strangler. Plus if you run Displacer you can get cute and run a 1-of Mangara of Corondor for maximum value.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

C-Euro posted:

No, but there was Sea Gate Ruins and a few colourless lands (including Ghost Quarters and Tectonic Edges). It also had Brimaz (seemed good) and Silverblade Paladin (seemed bad). Obviously Aether Vial too.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Boco_T posted:

I haven't checked in on the D&T thread in a few weeks but the early testing consensus was 2-3 Displacers fit right into the deck's build. Like, the manabase I had been using contained 9 colorless sources (4 GQ, 3 Tec Edge, 2 Mutavault) so Displacer's ability is pretty well turned on. Also WB versions of the deck had already been running Wasteland Strangler. Plus if you run Displacer you can get cute and run a 1-of Mangara of Corondor for maximum value.

I still want flickerwisp+strangler to be a thing

is it a thing

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I jumped into one of the PT Gauntlets.

I got a deck I already play, Abzan Company. :reject:

Edit: Oh god I got Abzan Company on MTGO :barf:

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Feb 13, 2016

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Elyv posted:

I still want flickerwisp+strangler to be a thing

is it a thing
Yes, as is Tidehollow Sculler + Wasteland Strangler:
http://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/modern-wb-death-and-taxes-23188

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

When you cast Tidehollow Sculler you have to sing "Sculler" to the tune of "Strutter" by KISS. It's the law.

Chairman Pow!
Apr 23, 2010
Archangel of Thune is now up to 30$, its basically more thandoubled in the last month. Of course I Wanted to grab some for my soul sisters deck, sigh. What is running them nowadays that they suddenly spiked so hard?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I think there is a junk collected company deck that is trying to do what meliraless pod did, although its loving bizarre for the card to jump much higher than when it was seeing significantly more play.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Chairman Pow! posted:

Archangel of Thune is now up to 30$, its basically more thandoubled in the last month. Of course I Wanted to grab some for my soul sisters deck, sigh. What is running them nowadays that they suddenly spiked so hard?

The deck in the PT Gauntlet, Archangel Chord.

Basically it wins by actually having a way to kill you after you gain infinite life by dropping Archangel.

It also runs Courser of Kruphix. Spike Feeder is how it generates infinite life, and it also runs Lingering Souls because hey, Lingering Souls is a good card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I mean it was a fairly important part in that pod deck and was never that expensive, so I seriously doubt this jump is just from seeing increased play.

• Locked thread