Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

computer parts posted:

Nope, there's even precedent for not confirming nominations during an election year.

Last six months of an election year.

We aren't there yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Nine children , huh.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Brannock posted:

This is the happiest I've been in 2016.

gently caress you Scalia. May worms eat your corpse.

What do you have against worms?

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad
If RBG announced her retirement now, but to take place after the election, would the GOP let an Obama nominee through then to replace Scalia?

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
YAY! I am very happy right now :)

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

McAlister posted:

We aren't there yet.

There is not a chance in hell the Senate lets Obama pick Scalia's replacement unless he inexplicably nominates a conservative judge.

They will either refuse to hold a confirmation hearing, or they will hold one for the sake of appearances before voting down his nominee.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Justice Obama is gonna own

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Hollismason posted:

Nine children , huh.

He was very Catholic.

Mystery Goomba
Jun 4, 2011
We'll be hearing Republicans using the term "activist judges" ad nauseum for the next several months.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHQLQ1Rc_Js

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Al-Saqr posted:

I was under the impression that Scalia was aged 60-69 not 79, dude hid his age well compared to the other supreme justices.

Interesting fact: Clarence Thomas is the youngest (at least currently) SCOTUS Justice at confirmation, and he was 43 at the time. He's only two years older than Alito, who was confirmed 15 years later.

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug

Hollismason posted:

Nine children , huh.

Catholic.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Mitt Romney posted:

If RBG announced her retirement now, but to take place after the election, would the GOP let an Obama nominee through then to replace Scalia?

I think something like this happened on The West Wing

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

UV_Catastrophe posted:

I don't think it would be too outlandish to say that this coming election might end up being the most pivotal election of most of our lifetimes.

The supreme court is a pretty weird thing. Was it always meant to be this incredibly important political institution? I mean, obviously a supreme court is going to be important but to the extent it now is? From outside the US it seems odd.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Justice Michelle Obama is gonna own

:agreed:

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Northjayhawk posted:

And we have to take their word for it that it was already written. Thats fine, since I assume the liberals would call bullshit if thats not the case.

So that means Fisher II, Harris v. Arizona Redistricting Commission, Evenwel v. Abbott, Friedrichs v. CTA, Little Sisters all go to the liberals on the back of lower courts.

On the other hand, it means that Whole Women's Health loses and Texas's abortion restrictions are upheld without precedent as well.

It also means that Obama's executive action on immigration will probably be declared unconstitutional without setting precedent for the same reason.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

UrbicaMortis posted:

The supreme court is a pretty weird thing. Was it always meant to be this incredibly important political institution? I mean, obviously a supreme court is going to be important but to the extent it now is? From outside the US it seems odd.

It wasn't a huge deal until Marbury v. Madison when the court ruled that the court could deem laws unconstitutional and it's been extremely important since then.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

UrbicaMortis posted:

It was arguably never meant to be quite this important, Marbury v Madison changed EVERYTHING and gave the SC the powers it has today.

Phone posting or I'd elaborate.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
as an entity of pure hate, he left no material form behind

but all who pass his burial complex will feel the tendrils of raw malice creeping from the depths

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

UrbicaMortis posted:

The founding fathers weren't exactly helpful in spelling out how powerful the court would be. The court pretty much carved out its power for itself in Marbury vs Madison, and everyone else basically shrugged and said OK. Whatever the original intention was for that branch, what we have now is what we've got.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

borkencode posted:

Cliven Bundy's freedom was the final horcrux.

Now we just have to find Cheney's

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

UrbicaMortis posted:

Pretty much. It's designed to be a co-equal branch of government.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Scalia died on a hunting trip in Texas... Do we know if Cheney was involved?

UV_Catastrophe
Dec 29, 2008

Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are,

"It might have been."
Pillbug
What are the odds that Republicans, even after losing the presidency, might still refuse to confirm any nominee whatsoever?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

UrbicaMortis posted:

No, it gets like a couple of quick paragraphs in the constitution. The right to declare laws unconstitutional isn't even directly spelled out

Also, I don't see anything that would prevent Obama from appointing himself, atleast not the in the part of the constitution Scalia cared about, so Justice Obama is clearly something Scalia would have wanted

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Nine children??

Edit: Covered already I guess. But supreme court justice doesn't seem like it leaves a lot of time to be a dutiful father.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

McAlister posted:

We aren't there yet.

LOL if you think that this death didn't just establish precedent for extending that ban to the last 12 months.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
Maybe Thomas will slip on a soap, causing the liberals to reach a majority, while the replacements are eternally vetoed.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

ComradeCosmobot posted:

LOL if you think that this death didn't just establish precedent for extending that ban to the last 12 months.

Pretty soon, it will turn into within 4 years of a presidential election

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

UV_Catastrophe posted:

What are the odds that Republicans, even after losing the presidency, might still refuse to confirm any nominee whatsoever?

It's most likely that a Democratic victory for the President this year will mean enough people turned out to win them back control of the Senate, so they could use the nuclear option and usher in strict majority votes for SCOTUS nominations.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

azflyboy posted:

Scalia died on a hunting trip in Texas... Do we know if Cheney was involved?

If Scalia died before midnight last night then it was on the 10th anniversary of Cheney hunting incident :tinfoil:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
First reaction from the next President:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/698636369229385728

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

UrbicaMortis posted:

One of the most notable tendencies in American government during the 20th century was Congress relinquishing much of its duty to legislate domestic affairs to the Supreme Court and foreign affairs to the Presidency. This was a more efficient arrangement as it allowed them to focus on their comparative advantage, i.e. taking campaign contributions and dolling out pork.

Meg From Family Guy
Feb 4, 2012
As I have been saying, liberals never stop winning in all kinds of ways.

Pray America Is Waking

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Republicans should have tried to Weekend At Bernie's Scalia at least until after the election.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Say hello to Justice Judy, the newest Associate Justice of the Supreme Court of the United States.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Shocking news: Cruz is a "no" vote on any Obama nomination.

https://twitter.com/tedcruz/status/698634625246195712

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
CNN reporting that this guy may be Obama's pick:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sri_Srinivasan

He was just unanimously approved by the senate a few years ago.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Say hello to Justice Judy, the newest Associate Justice of the Supreme Court of the United States.

Trump's sister, Maryanne, is a District Court judge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Does this mean that all wannabe GOP Presidents who're senators get to suspend their campaign to constantly try to block nominations?

• Locked thread