Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Cigar Aficionado posted:

CNN reporting that this guy may be Obama's pick:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sri_Srinivasan

He was just unanimously approved by the senate a few years ago.

That would be perfect for the Dems if he got unanimous approval just a few years ago.

quote:

His nomination was reported to the floor of the Senate on May 16, 2013, by a unanimous vote of 18 ayes to 0 nays. A final vote on his nomination took place on May 23, 2013, where he was confirmed 97-0.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cams
Mar 28, 2003

the gop holding up a supreme court nominee makes the election about abortion and gay marriage.

obama should nominate someone as soon as humanly possible.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

Does this mean that all wannabe GOP Presidents who're senators get to suspend their campaign to constantly try to block nominations?

Nah. McConnell would do that anyway.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

UV_Catastrophe posted:

What are the odds that Republicans, even after losing the presidency, might still refuse to confirm any nominee whatsoever?

Pretty low, I'd wager.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Mitt Romney posted:

If Scalia died before midnight last night then it was on the 10th anniversary of Cheney hunting incident :tinfoil:
Yeah that's some bizarre timing.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

UV_Catastrophe posted:

What are the odds that Republicans, even after losing the presidency, might still refuse to confirm any nominee whatsoever?

Is there anything stopping them from dragging their feet for 4 years and try to wait for another election?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
the real lovely thing is he stuck around long enough to block Obama's climate change initiative from being enacted.

good news is that it now stands better odds of moving forward

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice

Joementum posted:

Fun fact: the precedent in the Senate for not confirming new judges in a Presidential election year is called the Thurmond Rule.

Yes, that Thurmond.

They are going to have a harder time citing this because Obama has 11 months left

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Mitt Romney posted:

If Scalia died before midnight last night then it was on the 10th anniversary of Cheney hunting incident :tinfoil:

on the other hand if he died today that means he dropped dead the day before the first Valentine's day for all the gay couples now legally wed across the country.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

spoon daddy posted:

They are going to have a harder time citing this because Obama has 11 months left

precedent for it just emerged when scalia died

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Business Gorillas posted:

Is there anything stopping them from dragging their feet for 4 years and try to wait for another election?

The fact that they'll probably lose the Senate if they lose the Presidency.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Cigar Aficionado posted:

CNN reporting that this guy may be Obama's pick:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sri_Srinivasan

He was just unanimously approved by the senate a few years ago.

Yeah, he's been on the list for basically Obama's whole Presidency. Here are other possibilities: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barack_Obama_Supreme_Court_candidates#Names_mentioned

Interesting that Claire McCaskill and Kamala Harris are both on the list. I wonder what would happen if a Democratic Senate candidate was nominated in the middle of their campaign. Won't happen, but would be fun to watch.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I hope Trollbama shows up to start nominating the most outrageous picks for Supreme Court Justice; like not even actual judge nominees

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

computer parts posted:

The fact that they'll probably lose the Senate if they lose the Presidency.

You and Joementum both say this, are there enough swing seats in play for real?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Hey Joementum, are we in Recess?

When the Senate is in recess, a president may make temporary appointments to fill vacancies. Recess appointees hold office only until the end of the next Senate session (less than two years). The Senate must confirm the nominee for them to continue serving; of the two chief justices and six associate justices who have received recess appointments, only Chief Justice John Rutledge was not subsequently confirmed.

Pretty sure this means Obama can in fact appoint a Justice without Senate Approval.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

New York Times just updated Justice Antonin Scalia, Who Led a Conservative Renaissance on the Supreme Court, Is Dead at 79

Franco Potente
Jul 9, 2010

Joementum posted:

Yeah, he's been on the list for basically Obama's whole Presidency. Here are other possibilities: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barack_Obama_Supreme_Court_candidates#Names_mentioned

Interesting that Claire McCaskill and Kamala Harris are both on the list. I wonder what would happen if a Democratic Senate candidate was nominated in the middle of their campaign. Won't happen, but would be fun to watch.

Christ, not McCaskill. I mean, I know they'd never do it now that they need every seat in the Senate, but she would be a trainwreck as a justice.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

I hope Trollbama shows up to start nominating the most outrageous picks for Supreme Court Justice; like not even actual judge nominees

Plenty of precedent with GWB's lovely picks.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Stultus Maximus posted:

Everyone who was elected in 2010 is up for grabs now.

You might remember that as being a productive Republican class.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

USPOL February: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4UqMyldS7Q

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Hollismason posted:

Hey Joementum, are we in Recess?

When the Senate is in recess, a president may make temporary appointments to fill vacancies. Recess appointees hold office only until the end of the next Senate session (less than two years). The Senate must confirm the nominee for them to continue serving; of the two chief justices and six associate justices who have received recess appointments, only Chief Justice John Rutledge was not subsequently confirmed.

Pretty sure this means Obama can in fact appoint a Justice without Senate Approval.

Yes! Congress went into recess on Thursday.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

UrbicaMortis posted:

The supreme court is a pretty weird thing. Was it always meant to be this incredibly important political institution? I mean, obviously a supreme court is going to be important but to the extent it now is? From outside the US it seems odd.

The German Federal Constitutional Court can even declare amendments to the German constitution null and void if they conflict with the core principles of said constitution. And they don't have any limiting principles like standing or only judging already implemented law, they can even invalidate laws that haven't gone into effect yet.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I'm pretty sure Obama can appoint a Justice right now in fact because the Senate is in Recess and it would last to end of the next Senate Session.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
Do supreme court justices get state funerals, or is that only for presidents?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Stultus Maximus posted:

The whole Tea Party wave is up for re-election, so the Republicans have to defend seats in Illinois and Pennsylvania. You can check out the full list in the Senate election thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3680204

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Joementum posted:

Oh Glorious loving day. When do they reconvene?

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
The best news about this is that ultimately it's going to help democrats on election day.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Joementum posted:

So is McConnell in the air back to DC yet?

I mean it has to be a race now, the white house to put an appointee in, the senate to reopen

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Joementum posted:

Why on earth is McCaskill being considered for the court?

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2HWuR2mq5M

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad
I wonder if this means we might see a billion+ injected into the Senate races this year.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Hollismason posted:

I'm pretty sure Obama can appoint a Justice right now in fact because the Senate is in Recess and it would last to end of the next Senate Session.
So until the next Congress?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Cigar Aficionado posted:

The best news about this is that ultimately it's going to help democrats on election day.

Man, if you don't think this is going to kick the afterburners on the GOP's GOTV drive I don't know what to tell you. At best it is a wash

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Joementum posted:

The whole Tea Party wave is up for re-election, so the Republicans have to defend seats in Illinois and Pennsylvania. You can check out the full list in the Senate election thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3680204

I swear to god, if the Dems gently caress up Illinois again

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Fried Chicken posted:

Man, if you don't think this is going to kick the afterburners on the GOP's GOTV drive I don't know what to tell you. At best it is a wash

The GOP can only turnout so many people though. Romney's turnout in 2012 was great but it was still 332 EV for Obama.

The dem ceiling on turnout is much higher.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Northjayhawk posted:

There is not a chance in hell the Senate lets Obama pick Scalia's replacement unless he inexplicably nominates a conservative judge.

They will either refuse to hold a confirmation hearing, or they will hold one for the sake of appearances before voting down his nominee.

This is the exact opposite of my read on it. The obvious obstructionism leaps into permanently delaying a lot of the cases they are seriously concerned with furthering their agenda. Not to mention the horrible optics with anyone even mildly politically aware going into the election.

Cigar Aficionado posted:

This this is!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

FlamingLiberal posted:

So until the next Congress?

It's a maximum appointment of 2 years , so like if he appointed him now it'd be at the end of the NEXT session so like next year. I think I am right on that Joementum can confirm.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Mitt Romney posted:

The GOP can only turnout so many people though. Romney's turnout in 2012 was great but it was still 332 EV for Obama.

The dem ceiling on turnout is much higher.

Weird of you to talk in third person

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad
What's the eta on McConnell announcing they will not bring up a SC nominee for consideration this year? Less than a couple hours?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

Fried Chicken posted:

There are more Democrats than Republicans, and there are more casual/seldom voting democrats than conservatives. And if Republicans try to run out the clock, they look like obstructionist nongoverning assholes in as high profile a light as possible leading into the election.

• Locked thread