Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mitt Romney posted:

The GOP can only turnout so many people though. Romney's turnout in 2012 was great but it was still 332 EV for Obama.

The dem ceiling on turnout is much higher.

Yeah, it feels like the strategy was less "maxing out our turnout" and more "minimizing the other guys' turnout".

Right now there's a much bigger reason for the Democrats to vote for someone, and that conflicts with the plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Mitt Romney posted:

What's the eta on McConnell announcing they will not bring up a SC nominee for consideration this year? Less than a couple hours?

Any official announcements from anyone before the body is in the ground are Bad Ideas.

So probably soon.

UV_Catastrophe
Dec 29, 2008

Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are,

"It might have been."
Pillbug
In terms of firing up their voting base, it seems to me that Republicans have everything to gain from taking a brave, obstructionist stance against our usurper-in-chief.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Mitt Romney posted:

The GOP can only turnout so many people though. Romney's turnout in 2012 was great but it was still 332 EV for Obama.

The dem ceiling on turnout is much higher.

what are you talking about, that was horrible gotv. Their mobilization system literally crashed on election day because they had never tested it, they were scrambling the whole day.

Go look up "Romney Orca" vintage Republican Tears. 2012 was an excellent year, I find the bitter, salty taste goes well with beef or game.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Fried Chicken posted:

So is McConnell in the air back to DC yet?

I mean it has to be a race now, the white house to put an appointee in, the senate to reopen

God I hope Obama actually recess appoints someone.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Justice Obama is gonna own

He wouldn't be able to rule on any case within the past 8 years. He'd be fantastic, but useless because he'd have to recuse himself more or less constantly.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

The Iron Rose posted:

He wouldn't be able to rule on any case within the past 8 years. He'd be fantastic, but useless because he'd have to recuse himself more or less constantly.

Didn't stop him from appointing Kagan!

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Fried Chicken posted:

what are you talking about, that was horrible gotv. Their mobilization system literally crashed on election day because they had never tested it, they were scrambling the whole day.

Go look up "Romney Orca" vintage Republican Tears. 2012 was an excellent year, I find the bitter, salty taste goes well with beef or game.

Look at the actual numbers though 2004 and 2012 were pretty similar for the GOP, and are considered decent turnouts for the GOP.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

UV_Catastrophe posted:

In terms of firing up their voting base, it seems to me that Republicans have everything to gain from taking a brave, obstructionist stance against our usurper-in-chief.

It's strange how "voting against [x]" is only a disadvantage when Democrats are doing it.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I'm popping a bottle of champagne with dinner tonight.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
And Cruz gets there first:

https://twitter.com/tedcruz/status/698634625246195712

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

The Iron Rose posted:

Did Taft have any issues as Chief Justice?

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
I don't think the Republicans can win this and I think their best option is to confirm as soon as possible. If they're ultimately going to relinquish then every day they drag it out is a day closer to election day and being fresher in their base's memory. If they stall through the election it turns it into a SCOTUS election which is guaranteed to drive liberal/democrat turnout.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I'm popping a bottle of champagne with dinner tonight.

I walked to the nearest bar as soon as I heard and ordered shots of Patron for everyone in my vicinity.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Well tonights Debates are going to be interesting.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
[quote="whitey delenda est" post="456240494"]This is the exact opposite of my read on it. The obvious obstructionism leaps into permanently delaying a lot of the cases they are seriously concerned with furthering their agenda. Not to mention the horrible optics with anyone even mildly politically aware going into the election.[quote]

I do not agree with this at all. As for "delaying cases they are concerned about", if they don't have 5 votes without Scalia, then they obviously don't want Obama to pick the 9th justice since they'd likely lose anyway. If they do have 5 votes without Scalia, there is no delay.

As for the "optics", preserving the chance to pick Scalia's replacement if they win in November is going to be more important than almost any amount of backlash, and I am skeptical that there will be much backlash. Normal people who don't follow politics every day like we do are not going to get worked up over a delay to fully staff the high court.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Hollismason posted:

Well tonights Debates are going to be interesting.

Ooohhhh poo poo, I forgot about that :getin:

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

I was going to point out that scalias corpse isn't even cold yet but it wasn't warm to begin with.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!
Is there precedent for increased election turnout after the death of a sitting supreme court justice, or is this all hypothetical? I don't know if the average voter particularly cares that a SCOTUS seat is now on the line.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Northjayhawk posted:

I do not agree with this at all. As for "delaying cases they are concerned about", if they don't have 5 votes without Scalia, then they obviously don't want Obama to pick the 9th justice since they'd likely lose anyway. If they do have 5 votes without Scalia, there is no delay.

As for the "optics", preserving the chance to pick Scalia's replacement if they win in November is going to be more important than almost any amount of backlash, and I am skeptical that there will be much backlash. Normal people who don't follow politics every day like we do are not going to get worked up over a delay to fully staff the high court.

The only thing I could see making them accept an Obama nominee if it meant them losing their senate seats if they didn't. Like if public opinion turned against them so much that it was obvious.

Really though I think it's just going to be a partisan issue which the news media reports both sides and the 'controversy' and the GOP will successfully be able to block the nominee without too much consequence. But the turnout among dems is guaranteed to be high now.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

The Iron Rose posted:

There aren't any hard rules, though. There are commonly understood standards, but the only rule is the justice decides whether they need to recuse himself or not. If Obama says "no, I can be fair on anything, even laws I signed", there's not really any way to stop him. Not that there's any chance at all that Obama would become a supreme court justice.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Supreme Court's a big enough deal that it will increase voter turn out. However I still want Obama to just appoint a recess judge.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

I can already imagine the election ads. "Do you want this man to choose the next supreme court justice?" [Trump / whoever saying horrid poo poo]

:getin:

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Mitt Romney posted:

The only thing I could see making them accept an Obama nominee if it meant them losing their senate seats if they didn't. Like if public opinion turned against them so much that it was obvious.

That is true, but I'll go out on a limb and say that I do not believe that this radical shift in public opinion will happen.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
What is the incentive for the Senate to approve anyone at all? These days I tend to think that unless there is the proverbial gun to their head, they won't decide on anything at all forever.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Hollismason posted:

Supreme Court's a big enough deal that it will increase voter turn out. However I still want Obama to just appoint a recess judge.

He's got nothing to loss if he does appoint. He's got less than a year left and the seat is already going to be a election turnout factor regardless of what he does.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Rollofthedice posted:

Is there precedent for increased election turnout after the death of a sitting supreme court justice, or is this all hypothetical? I don't know if the average voter particularly cares that a SCOTUS seat is now on the line.

Not only does a situation like this not pop up that often, the court hasn't been this blatantly partisan previously, and judicial appointments in particular have not been this hyperpartisan (like the last few decades basically). In the 50s and 60s the fault lines were in things like civil rights where both parties had different wings. Nowadays the parties are more clearly distinct. 2016 is a very different political environment.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

I am voting for the president that promises to nominate Justice Danny DeVito as Scalia's replacement

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

So is Aaron Sorkin writing America? Are we season 8 of The West Wing?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Northjayhawk posted:

There aren't any hard rules, though. There are commonly understood standards, but the only rule is the justice decides whether they need to recuse himself or not. If Obama says "no, I can be fair on anything, even laws I signed", there's not really any way to stop him. Not that there's any chance at all that Obama would become a supreme court justice.

If he did that he'd be a terrible and unethical justice.

It wouldn't be okay just because he's on our side!

UV_Catastrophe
Dec 29, 2008

Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are,

"It might have been."
Pillbug

Rollofthedice posted:

I think the recent gay marriage decision will still be fresh in the average joe's mind, at least. People might care about the idea that a conservative president would work to appoint a justice that would be hostile to LGBT issues.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Cruz's tweet just reminded me of how he hosed up the GOP block of the judiciary not too long ago.

Man the GOP must hate that guy.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Luigi Thirty posted:

So is Aaron Sorkin writing America?

Maybe we'll have a co-GOP/Democratic ticket and teachers unions will agree to get rid of tenure

Sorkin is a political wet shart

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Some people in my social media are playing the "don't say bad things about dead people" card. I refuse to feel guilty for celebrating.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

The Iron Rose posted:

No he doesn't

I mean, he should recuse himself, but I think there is no legal requirement for him to so. Hi Clarence Thomas

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Samurai Sanders posted:

What is the incentive for the Senate to approve anyone at all? These days I tend to think that unless there is the proverbial gun to their head, they won't decide on anything at all forever.

precedent is still a thing in the Senate. And the optics of delaying a supreme court nomination for the Longest Time in History are terrible. Not everyone is Ted Cruz.

I guess it depends on whether a narrative of 'it's unacceptable to nominate someone as a lame duck president' (even though he isn't) can dominate the conversation or not.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

precedent is still a thing in the Senate. And the optics of delaying a supreme court nomination for the Longest Time in History are terrible. Not everyone is Ted Cruz.

I guess it depends on whether a narrative of 'it's unacceptable to nominate someone as a lame duck president' (even though he isn't) can dominate the conversation or not.

This will be a good demonstration of how 'moderate' GOP senators in Maine and elsewhere are just as bad as the tea party senators in OK/TX etc.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Tigntink posted:

Some people in my social media are playing the "don't say bad things about dead people" card. I refuse to feel guilty for celebrating.

He was 79. The only tragedy is for the conservative movement and he already made a massive legacy for it.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

Antti posted:

Not only does a situation like this not pop up that often, the court hasn't been this blatantly partisan previously, and judicial appointments in particular have not been this hyperpartisan (like the last few decades basically). In the 50s and 60s the fault lines were in things like civil rights where both parties had different wings. Nowadays the parties are more clearly distinct. 2016 is a very different political environment.

Right. I guess my question is: how sure can we be of increased voter turnout due to this? How much do voters care about which party elects a SC justice?

UV_Catastrophe posted:

I think the recent gay marriage decision will still be fresh in the average joe's mind, at least. People might care about the idea that a conservative president would work to appoint a justice that would be hostile to LGBT issues.

I hope so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

Exactly. I've heard a lot of people claim that even Republicans in the senate wouldn't be extreme enough to block an SC nominee indefinitely, but I see no reason why they wouldn't do that.

• Locked thread