Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

GMO mosquitoes release tiny tiny chemtrails when they fly, sheeple!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Slime posted:

So what is the answer.

Is it -17, a lot of those guys think it is and they're throwing math words around like smart dudes.

(I am just laughing at the guy who goes 3-18+2=-17, jesus christ dude negative numbers are not difficult)

Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally (math order of operations) -> -17

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

I love eating at all of garden.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

:puckout: Presented by the IoSM thread, the next steel beams in dumb conspiracy theories.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

It's -13, isn't it? Or is that the joke :saddowns:

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Yes, an obese rageaholic 79- year-old man could not possibly have died of natural causes.

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Oh come on, you've already got the PEMDAS part, just bring it home.

3-3x6+2
3-18+2
5-18

EDIT: or have I and LITERALLY A BIRD been deceived by a clever ruse?

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Conservative supreme Court Justice Scalia found dead, age 79. Natural causes or murdered, u connect the dots! Hint: ClCrFamily

@AnnCoulter it's possible #Scalia was murdered? It happens n r gov. Bo Clinton Cruz ?? He didn't have health problems. We will never know :(

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

For some reason these don't load for me.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

i heard lob murdered scalia so he can find easy material for his schtick someone retweet this before its to late

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
PEMDAS arguments are as stupid as plane on a treadmill or 0.99999…=1 arguments.

You don't do subtraction after addition, you do it in the same step in a left-associative manner.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Lamprey Cannon posted:

Oh come on, you've already got the PEMDAS part, just bring it home.

3-3x6+2
3-18+2
5-18

EDIT: or have I and LITERALLY A BIRD been deceived by a clever ruse?

3-3x6+2
3-18+2
3-20

:jerky:

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Slime posted:

So what is the answer.

Is it -17, a lot of those guys think it is and they're throwing math words around like smart dudes.

(I am just laughing at the guy who goes 3-18+2=-17, jesus christ dude negative numbers are not difficult)

I taught math for 32 years!

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

3-3x6+2
3-18+2
3-20

There aren't any parentheses around (18+2), so it's the sum of the numbers
(3)+(-18)+(2),

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009
I feel like there must be jokes happening here but I don't see them.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

3-3x6+2
3-18+2
3-20

TinTower posted:

PEMDAS arguments are as stupid as plane on a treadmill or 0.99999…=1 arguments.

You don't do subtraction after addition, you do it in the same step in a left-associative manner.
Yeah, I learned it as addition/subtraction in a left -> right manner, not addition and then subtraction always. Which for me makes it

3-3x6+2
3-18+2
3-18= -15
-15+2= -13

I hate math.
e: also sorry for contributing to the derail but I have to know

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Yeah, I learned it as addition/subtraction in a left -> right manner, not addition and then subtraction always. Which for me makes it

3-3x6+2
3-18+2
3-18= -15
-15+2= -13

i hate math.

What do you mean 'Justice Scalia FOUND dead'?!?! Was he murdered???

I bet money that Scalia was murdered. The progressives will stop at NOTHING to further their anti-American agenda!

@usatoday Scalia & his tobacco twin Alito were planning to expose tobacco corruption & Scalia was murdered for it.

I hate to even wonder, but was Justice Scalia murdered? Who benefits? Obama now has a 5-4 liberal Court in a year when he plans many diktats

RT @snergle: i heard lob murdered scalia so he can find easy material for his schtick someone retweet this before its to late

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Did I not see a him in that movie dumb and dumber
Oh wait no that's a video of him and his wife sorry

so is michelle jim carrey or jeff daniels? I need to know for uh scientific reasons

Lottery of Babylon posted:

RT @snergle: i heard lob murdered scalia so he can find easy material for his schtick someone retweet this before its to late

thanks for the rt bro.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

3-3x6+2
3-18+2
3-18= -15
-15+2= -13

I hate math.
e: also sorry for contributing to the derail but I have to know

Subtraction is literally the inverse of addition. So like the poster above said, it's 3 + (-18) + 2.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

TinTower posted:

Subtraction is literally the inverse of addition. So like the poster above said, it's 3 + (-18) + 2.

okay cool I did it sort of :toot:

e: take that, numbers

LITERALLY A BIRD has a new favorite as of 00:54 on Feb 14, 2016

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx
I'm a physicist, so I have to know how PEMDAS works, or the Large Hadron Collider explodes again.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

TinTower posted:

I see now how the -13 comes out :derp:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

I see now how the -13 comes out :derp:

3-18=3+(-18)=-15

-15+2=-13.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Dogfish posted:

I feel like there must be jokes happening here but I don't see them.

The joke here is the easiest way to poo poo up a SA thread, much like a facebook page, is to post a simple math problem.

Goons are literally incapable of not arguing over grade 5 math problems.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I cannot comprehend how this is difficult in any way, what is PEMDAS even supposed to mean :psyduck:? The only rule you ever need is multiplication/division before addition/substraction. There is zero difference between m and d or a and s. Addition of a negative number is the same as substraction of the same positive number! Multiplication with 1/2 (0.5) is the same as dividing by 2!

Let's do it the other way round, to make it easier:

-3 + 3x6 -2

multiplication before addition/substraction, I think that most people got (forget about if there are brackets or not, that is complete nonsense - when there is a bracket you obey it full stop):
-3 +18 -2

so

you have 18 eggs

you remove 3

then 2

how many eggs? Correct, 13.

Or do you remove 3 first then 2? HMMMM conundrum the answer would of course be different right????

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!
The moral to take away from that macro is that infix operators are ambiguous (requiring strict order of precedence that it seems like no one can agree on) and we should stop using them.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
It's all numbers in the end anyway.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

Inco posted:

Jon Ronson also made someone reporting inappropriate behaviour at a conference out to be the aggressor, thus causing someone who was following the rules to also be publicly shamed. Furthermore, this person is also a black Jewish woman, so the vitriol she faced was exponentially greater and fiercer than anything that the original white, male person who doesn't know when to keep his mouth shut got.

Did we read the same thing? He interviewed both parties involved. He clearly pointed out that she (and other woman in similar situations) faced a much harsher, much more sexist backlash. He talked about her background and the poo poo she's been through in her life. He pointed out that the man got hired on again almost right away, and she did not. I thought whole thing was handled fairly.

Eta: Whoops, should have refreshed, thread has moved on.

Eta 2: lol sorry but I had to mention my favorite part. The dongle incident guy went on about how he feels all weird around women developers now, how he can't make jokes or be himself. Jon asked him how many women developers he worked with at his new job. None.

artsy fartsy has a new favorite as of 01:29 on Feb 14, 2016

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Fashionable Jorts posted:

The joke here is the easiest way to poo poo up a SA thread, much like a facebook page, is to post a simple math problem.

Okay I have content:

The people in the second two are all in their 20s, which astonishes me. You're not old enough to be this angry.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Goons are literally incapable of not arguing over grade 5 math problems.

A lot of goons also seem incapable of solving the grade 5 math problems, which is worrying. Although I shouldn't talk poo poo because it took me longer than it should have to figure out what PEMDAS was supposed to be. (In Canada it's BEDMAS.)

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

artsy fartsy posted:

Did we read the same thing? He interviewed both parties involved. He clearly pointed out that she (and other woman in similar situations) faced a much harsher, much more sexist backlash. He talked about her background and the poo poo she's been through in her life. He pointed out that the man got hired on again almost right away, and she did not. I thought whole thing was handled fairly.

Eta Whoops, should have refreshed, thread has moved on.

It's easy to read Jon as demonizing her behavior, purely because he was reporting the facts of the incident (which both parties agreed were true) that the man made a dumb joke and the woman reacted by publicly shaming him through Twitter and a blog. But Jon also pointed out the woman faced harsher public shaming ultimately than the man did, abd actually did present her side of the story which painted her as equally, if not more, sympathetic.

The book is good but I was hoping for some more in depth commentary ultimately. The stories of Justine Sacco and the girl making fun of veterans are really interesting, especially the latter where it talks about creating a bland version of yourself online to defeat the public shaming

timefly
Apr 29, 2008

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Okay I have content:

The people in the second two are all in their 20s, which astonishes me. You're not old enough to be this angry.

I know someone who SWEARS they/their dad saw a truck labeled "worms" at the "McDonald's factory"

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Why is it when people are faced with the fact that an article is fake, they still go, "but it's gross and I'll boycott that place anyway because of [false fact]"

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Scathach posted:

Why is it when people are faced with the fact that an article is fake, they still go, "but it's gross and I'll boycott that place anyway because of [false fact]"

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Post Your Favorite (or Request) > Idiots on Social Media: TRUE OR NOT. EW

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Scathach posted:

Nobody likes to be wrong~

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Scathach posted:

the point is i'm always right

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Okay I have content:

Those are mealworms. They sell them as pet food (and human food - they're very healthy if you can get past the beetle larva thing). They're not parasites.

I don't know why that irritates me the most about this.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

The meat industry is becoming unsustainable and eating bugs is where we have to go. So really, McDonalds is just ahead of the game.

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.
PEMDAS confuses people because they remember learning it, but not the specifics.

Parentheses first
Exponents (ie Powers and Square Roots, etc.)
Multiplication and Division (left-to-right)
Addition and Subtraction (left-to-right)

So people go YOU GOTTA DO IT ALL IN ORDER, and think you do addition before subtraction, not at the same time, left to right. Or they think without parentheses, you do the whole thing left to right.

Those sort of math problems are written specifically to make people who forget the rules argue about 10 different wrong answers.

Also I'd be a bit miffed about being fed worm burgers, I guess, but if I wasn't grossed out by them during the eating, does it really matter? Oh no I ate a worm burger a month ago, surely I'm tainted forever!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I am confused.