Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

The idea that someone played both 2k and Live and somehow decided that live was the better option blows my mind

I guess if you can't git gud you git gone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Maybe Live is better at optimizing their roster officially than 2k? Very possible, because 2k official roster have been garbage for years.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Armitage posted:

Man, I should have signed with the Knicks in season two. They become completely ridiculous. No weaknesses whatsoever, unless being perfect on pro is a weakness. Holy moley :psyduck:

Yea i signed with the Knicks for MY IMMERSION since i thought it'd make a good narrative for the story and i think we lost like 13 games and am heading for a consecutive sweep in the 2nd round. Think I'm raising the difficulty for the finals this poo poo has gotten boring

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Man I thought it was just me.

Then again even in real life the Knicks are a good Point Guard away from being a good team. So my dude showing up is a God send.

ragle
Nov 1, 2009
Put dynamic Curry on the auction block for 24h starting at 1m bid, he went for 4.1m

Bought 6-7 DPOY boxes, pulled CP3 and some cheap but great DPOY cards.
Did some auction house purchasing of amethysts.
Purchased a huge # of badges
Bought 1 Moments box after they added Dame and Lou Williams, pulled Dame.

remaining

:feelsgood:

ragle fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jan 13, 2016

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
That post makes happy

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
I still don't get why they don't just let you play online with myTeams.

Besides the bullshit 3vs3 games I mean.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jan 13, 2016

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
I got this game recently and it's the first basketball game I've had in ages. Why are there no tutorials. The entire tutorial is limited to Curry telling you to press shoot in a 30 second video. The entire post game is still a mystery to me and I made it through two seeds online. Seriously the gameplay is good but the game is loving terrible at explaining how it actually works. I still don't know how to run an offense past setting picks. More importantly does anyone have good advice on defense? My two options against human opponents seem to be select a player not guarding the other player and just hope my CPU defense does something or try and guard the player and have him run around to the point where he can drive or get open for a 3. Should I be holding lt and ghosting him the whole time? Does attempting to steal the ball do anything other than generate a foul?

Also why is there no single match option on myteam? It's so simple and a no brainer. I have to play with restricted teams apparently.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Seltzer posted:

I got this game recently and it's the first basketball game I've had in ages. Why are there no tutorials. The entire tutorial is limited to Curry telling you to press shoot in a 30 second video. The entire post game is still a mystery to me and I made it through two seeds online. Seriously the gameplay is good but the game is loving terrible at explaining how it actually works. I still don't know how to run an offense past setting picks. More importantly does anyone have good advice on defense? My two options against human opponents seem to be select a player not guarding the other player and just hope my CPU defense does something or try and guard the player and have him run around to the point where he can drive or get open for a 3. Should I be holding lt and ghosting him the whole time? Does attempting to steal the ball do anything other than generate a foul?

Also why is there no single match option on myteam? It's so simple and a no brainer. I have to play with restricted teams apparently.

You should play domination mode in MyTeam, its single player, unrestricted lineups and its the best way to build up your team

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
How do you cancel the lead pass where you hold down Y/Triangle?

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

The Glumslinger posted:

You should play domination mode in MyTeam, its single player, unrestricted lineups and its the best way to build up your team

I've done this and I bought a bunch of good players this weekend when people were selling. Klay Thomas DPOY Mutumbo, Wall etc. And I picked up players like dirk from domination. None of that is explaining how to play offense or defense better or why there isn't an online unrestricted single match mode like fifa where they match up similar ranked teams.

Mr. Bing
Oct 25, 2004

...Is it still there?

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

How do you cancel the lead pass where you hold down Y/Triangle?

Two ways - while holding Y/Triangle hit B/Circle to do a fake pass (which kills your dribble), or just double click RB/R1 (which doesn't).

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Is anyone playing the MyPark or Pro-am modes of this on Xbox?

Me and another goon have been playing a lot with our career guys, but neither of us had the foresight to make a 7'3" monster center to dominate those modes with, so we're stuck trying to find big men to join our squad, or constantly losing 2v2 games to any team who has a huge center to get every rebound.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

BCRock posted:

Is anyone playing the MyPark or Pro-am modes of this on Xbox?

Me and another goon have been playing a lot with our career guys, but neither of us had the foresight to make a 7'3" monster center to dominate those modes with, so we're stuck trying to find big men to join our squad, or constantly losing 2v2 games to any team who has a huge center to get every rebound.

I would theoretically do this but the career mode doesn't seem like it would be fun and leveling up by just playing mypark seems like it would take ages. Is there a shortcut to leveling up your character to a reasonable level where they are useful? I played for a bit with my ~50 rated character at the park and it was hard to get games and when I did everyone just hit mile long 3s. How tall should you make a center?

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Leveling up is all about earning VC to pay for the stat upgrades. MyPark games are definitely not the ideal way to earn VC.

The quickest way I know to earn VC is to play solo MyCareer games on HoF difficulty with 6 minute quarters. Play stupidly agressive on defense so you get fouls and pulled out for large chunks of the game to make it go quicker and try to play well on offense so your teammate rating isn't terrible.

You can burn through games pretty fast and each one will get you around 1k VC. Then on your off days you want to only do connections that earn you VC or endorsements that pay well.

Other things that help are using the dumb companion app to get the daily VC bonuses and answering the 2kTV questions each week when they put up a new episode.

It really doesn't take long to get a new player up to the attribute cap. Getting the extra 25 attribute points that can only be earned by doing a million practices on off days takes forever though.

7'3" centers totally dominate in my park games.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
The cellphone app is also a great way to get VC. Every day you can do some stupid matching game and after a week its not hard to have an extra 10k for like 3 minutes work. The little card game there isn't awful to dick around with and get a few more too.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

I don't know what Mike Wang did but the shooting is all crazy now. Everything is going in

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Playing against people whose only trick is trying to bait you into shooting fouls with weird timing and pump fakes is my favorite thing in the world. I am fuelled by their ragequit tears.

Also I finally made it to GOAT tier in online play and the amount of guys you meet in the upper tiers who still haven't discovered that there's an intentional foul button is hilarious.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Illinois Smith posted:

Playing against people whose only trick is trying to bait you into shooting fouls with weird timing and pump fakes is my favorite thing in the world. I am fuelled by their ragequit tears.

Is there a good counter to this? My game is revolved around the fact that people don't realize rebounding and defense are important so I give up PFs and Cs who can drain 3s for complete control of the boards. The only problem is when I run into dudes who run iso plays with westbrook every other drive and get bullshit fouls on poor driving layups. I don't bite on pumpfakes but I give up a lot of driving contact fouls even when I'm not controlling the player. I do have the block thing set to autocontest and I play on physical defense. I could turn off physical D but you get so many more autosteals I don't see the point.

ragle
Nov 1, 2009
Westbrook is annoying in the hands of the best players but usually his matchup having upgraded perimeter lockdown defender badge + a rotating big jumps straight up to contest if Westbrook gets near the hoop, is enough for him to shoot badly. As I've played more MyTeam, defensive stats seem increasingly important, in the seeds with max 3 gold players I like the lineup: tbt Bledsoe/Klay/tbt Ariza/moments Porzingis/(tbt) Dirk, so that 1) any player on the team can make a shot if open 2) PG SG SF have excellent defensive stats 3) PF and C are both huge, their size matters for rebounding and contesting shots. bench PBeverley, Korver, Battier, tbt Diaw (Hornets)[with Limitless Range badge he is sick] and Laimbeer.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

anyone else still playing 2k15? I way prefer some of the controls and the online servers still work it owns.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Some of the injuries in this game are ridiculous.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Spacebump posted:

Broken Table: Out 2-3 weeks

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Spacebump posted:

Just in case, NBA Injury Report is a real Twitter feed that makes all sorts of joke posts like this.

This is probably :thejoke: and I'm being :downs: though.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
They have a really good podcast, too.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

So I got this on PS3 and like...how do I do ANYTHING? I've done the training camps, but actually playing a game is totally different.

What the gently caress do I do on defense other than hold L2? I try and do anything else, fouled.

Then on offense, the ONLY thing I can even semi-reliably do is shooting 3s. Layups invariably bounce out, and I've never even triggered a dunk. This is the reason I feel like i'm missing some game mechanic on offense, because the AI seems to have some kind of ability to stop me from moving, while they can move at will on offense.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

So I got this on PS3 and like...how do I do ANYTHING? I've done the training camps, but actually playing a game is totally different.

What the gently caress do I do on defense other than hold L2? I try and do anything else, fouled.

Then on offense, the ONLY thing I can even semi-reliably do is shooting 3s. Layups invariably bounce out, and I've never even triggered a dunk. This is the reason I feel like i'm missing some game mechanic on offense, because the AI seems to have some kind of ability to stop me from moving, while they can move at will on offense.
Just my 2 cents, it's kind of annoying but honestly you're best off switching to whoever is guarding the lowest threat. Let the CPU stay with their dribbling.

as far as offense, you won't make poo poo if someone is guarding you. You need an open look and good release on your shot. Turn on your shot feedback meter to see if you're doing it right.

and you need to be holding R2 to dunk?

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Paperback Writer posted:

Just my 2 cents, it's kind of annoying but honestly you're best off switching to whoever is guarding the lowest threat. Let the CPU stay with their dribbling.

I would say don't do this at all. Playing on ball defense is extremely effective and kind of necessary once you start playing good humans online. If you just mark their center and let the cpu guard their pg you're gonna develop bad habits. The important thing is to know that the the defense stance trigger is sensitive so if you hold it harder you'll get in their face more but it'lll be slower to move while you hold it less you muscle them less but can move easier. Experiment with that and remember that blocking off where the opponent will go and thinking where they will go is better than just holding down sprint trying to chase them down. Also are you using the stick to contest shots? it's extremely important but don't contest non stop because it slows you down a lot. Contest to stop a shooting opportunity or to force a player into action (so if he kicks to the corner to his three shooter switch to your closest man and move in while contesting, it will lower his chances a lot. Or if his pg is chilling at the top of the key looking for a pass hold contest until he moves because you never know when someone might shoot and if they're standing still contesting does't hurt.

I don't know how you're missing layups unless you're using players with garbage stats. As for starting to mess with advanced offensive options, mess around with pick and rolls (using the right bumper) it doesn't require using any plays and is really simple. Against the cpu move the ball around the perimeter a bit to look for options and be sure to make use of your center. I had a lot of trouble with offense and defense in this game when I first started as well (first basketball game in a decade) but now I'm in the 5th seed in myteam mode in only two weeks (fantasy team builder multiplayer mode where you have to beat a certain amount of people to keep advancing) . It will all click eventually. I actually win most of my games off the strength of getting down defending/having a defensive team and mashing people in transition. Most people want the players with the highest speed and three stats and forget about the rest. My last piece of advice is switch to the 2k cam right now in game. It's another thing you want to get used to early it makes offense and defense much easier and I don't think anyone good at the game uses the standard camera. One more small bit of advice is remember passing stats are important, I came over from fifa where most players can manage simple to good passes. Aside from your pg and sg a lot of your players will have complete rear end passing stats and you'll turn the ball over a lot wondering why it happened. Make dangerous passes with your good passers don't be surprised when your center gives the ball away or throws it off the court.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Mar 12, 2016

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Controlling a player off the ball is good when you're playing someone online who only dribbles down the court and tries to drive on you non-stop. Also when someone stops at the top of the key and stands still for five seconds while they're waiting for the play they just entered to progress.

Otherwise, stick with on-ball defense for now and try to get the hang of it, get used to switching between crowding someone with L2, using right stick to contest and anticipating where they'll go next with normal movement or little turbo bursts. Don't bite on pump fakes.

Also you have to hold R2 for dunks and it's not an automatic thing if you don't have a free path to the basket.

Seltzer posted:

Most people want the players with the highest speed and three stats and forget about the rest. My last piece of advice is switch to the 2k cam right now in game. It's another thing you want to get used to early it makes offense and defense much easier and I don't think anyone good at the game uses the standard camera.
I play with standard side cam and am up to GOAT in online play, I guess I'm just more used to it from watching games.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Turning Playvision on, turning playcalling to auto and changing the camera to 2k has helped a tonne.

I know it's basically training wheels, but hell, I'm new, I'm the reason those features are in at all. Just having a little marker to tell me "This guy is in a good position" has improved my experience a lot.

Still struggling with defense, but I imagine that will come with time.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

It's worth noting that (imo at least) the 2K games have a pretty steep learning curve, they're definitely frustrating with the lack of transparency and help at first.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Illinois Smith posted:

I play with standard side cam and am up to GOAT in online play, I guess I'm just more used to it from watching games.

You'd probably do better without it, but not if it's broke dont fix it. I'm just saying by it's very nature the standard cam makes passing more difficult. I couldn't go back to it now that I switched to the 2k cam, it's just so much more intuitive. I definitlely would suggest it for beginners who aren't used to one play style or camera yet.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Seltzer posted:

You'd probably do better without it, but not if it's broke dont fix it. I'm just saying by it's very nature the standard cam makes passing more difficult. I couldn't go back to it now that I switched to the 2k cam, it's just so much more intuitive. I definitlely would suggest it for beginners who aren't used to one play style or camera yet.

Yeah, if it works for him that's great but it'd make my brain melt, 2k camera is great

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Are you trying to play with myCareer first? I think that's a bad place for new players to start as your guy is awful. Playing with real teams or even myTeam (some of the early challenges suck though) is a much better way to learn the game.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Yea I learned to play by doing myteam domination for awhile. Myteam might be a bit confusing for someone not used to team builder modes though. I skipped over the "spike lee joint" after about 15 mins it seemed awful.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Sky Shadowing posted:

Just in case, NBA Injury Report is a real Twitter feed that makes all sorts of joke posts like this.

This is probably :thejoke: and I'm being :downs: though.

WIth how NWS NBA injury Report is irl im shocked they got them in the game.

Interestingly enough their PG tweets are usually way funnier anyway

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Seltzer posted:

Yea I learned to play by doing myteam domination for awhile. Myteam might be a bit confusing for someone not used to team builder modes though. I skipped over the "spike lee joint" after about 15 mins it seemed awful.

The story isn't so bad since you can skip it but what is bad is your guy sucks as a supposed prodigy. You make Shawn Bradley look like Jordan.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
The way to win in MyGm/MyLeague mode remains the same as previous years.

Are you probably a playoff team? If yes, trade your picks for the next two years at the start of the season to random teams who don't look like playoff teams. Try to get two first round picks. Scout all year. If your picks are in low teens/just out of lottery try to trade into the best spot you can or move picks for picks in the next season. When you are ready to draft, pick the highest combo of how good the prospect currently is + potential in the A- or higher range. Keep moving picks around to continue to have an influx of great talent. User made drafts range from well made to randomly superstar rookies.

Personally, MyLeague mode is more fun than MyGm mode. My current Mavs squad started off as the '03 Mavs. Now I'm starting Nash/Del Curry/James Worthy/Dirk/an extremely overrated Shaq's son (from a custom draft) and have Patty Mills, Ben Wallace, + Thon Maker (from a custom draft). Mavs are going for the 4-peat.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Mar 14, 2016

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

jabro posted:

The story isn't so bad since you can skip it but what is bad is your guy sucks as a supposed prodigy. You make Shawn Bradley look like Jordan.

Especially since your stats are maxed out for college and high school. I could hit a 35 foot shot over 3 people in high school and college and suddenly once I'm in the pros I'm hesitating on open shots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Just don't play story mode for the first two weeks or so then? If you stick to anything that isn't myteam (which has its own currency), getting enough cash to make your player at least decent when he comes out of college doesn't take that long.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Mar 14, 2016

• Locked thread