Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"

Aren't you a bit chubby for a stormtrooper?

...Introducing Trooper Byeah, Vader Beyeah and and Royal Byeah guard.

Foolster41 fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Feb 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
This thread is broken it keeps posting awesome poo poo by accident.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

nothing but a pale imitation of Orktimus

http://www.the-waaagh.com/forums/?showtopic=46693

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
>Best and the Worst: Painting and Modelling Allspiration

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Foolster41 posted:

Aren't you a bit chubby for a stormtrooper?

...Introducing Trooper Byeah, Vader Beyeah and and Royal Byeah guard.

Otherwise known as Byeah's 14786688, 39604, and 987654321, respectively.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Saw this guy in the flesh in a small game store in Singapore. I can confirm it looks just as awesome as the photos.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Hra Mormo posted:

>Best and the Worst: Painting and Modelling Allspiration

It's still uninspiring because you'll never manage to pull that poo poo off

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Gamerofthegame posted:

It's still uninspiring because you'll never manage to pull that poo poo off

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"

Manuel Calavera posted:

Otherwise known as Byeah's 14786688, 39604, and 987654321, respectively.

Nah, they don't like going by numbers. :P

Yeah, I agree that the smaller optimas is too cool for this thread, and the bigger on is just too :eyepop: for this thread (Holy cow, it really transforms! I actually kind of want this, and I don't play 40K)

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
I mentioned this many pages ago, but I finally visited my parents house so I took a photo.

It's my converted IG super-heavy tank from high school. As you can see it's just a 1/48 scale T-72 with a whole bunch of IG parts glued on. I never finished painting it.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Using T-72s as Guard tanks is of my dreams :allears:

Matgash
Apr 25, 2008

Know no fear!

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

I mentioned this many pages ago, but I finally visited my parents house so I took a photo.

It's my converted IG super-heavy tank from high school. As you can see it's just a 1/48 scale T-72 with a whole bunch of IG parts glued on. I never finished painting it.

It looks better than this custom made Fellblade!

You can buy it now for just £99.95!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Legion-Fe...DEAAOSwUuFWvNxW

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Matgash posted:

It looks better than this custom made Fellblade!

Well that's not so bad, it just needs some more details on the turret, a bit more work obscuring the source of the hull and

quote:

You can buy it now for just £99.95!

:stare:

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
What the gently caress is going on with those treads

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Skellybones posted:

What the gently caress is going on with those treads

I can't remember if it was in this or another thread where it got brought up originally, but some people have a really loving hard time putting on tank treads for whatever reason.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

This just proves my theory that Cold War tanks fit 40k's aesthetic better than 40k's own aesthetic (especially in regards to IG tanks).

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Atlas Hugged posted:

I can't remember if it was in this or another thread where it got brought up originally, but some people have a really loving hard time putting on tank treads for whatever reason.

loving why. loving how. That's like having a hard time putting two Lego bricks together.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Atlas Hugged posted:

Jesus loving Christi, the "vertical piece of tracks on the front" crowd is the worst, and it usually happens with the expensive models, too, so you know they're doubly stupid.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

ijyt posted:

loving why. loving how. That's like having a hard time putting two Lego bricks together.

I put mine on badly when I was a kid, but that was because I was dumb and didn't dry-fit stuff first.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

ijyt posted:

Those people should never go near a good 1/35 model kit, with individual track links.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

spectralent posted:

I put mine on badly when I was a kid, but that was because I was dumb and didn't dry-fit stuff first.

I think being a dumb kid is a huge part of it. When I was first getting into miniatures, I didn't really know any adults who were involved and spent most of my time with other kids around my age. At the FLGS, it was almost all middle and high school kids playing 40k and a handful of older guys who didn't want to drive downtown just to get a game in, but in retrospect they were weird (seriously, there was a guy in his 20s who wore a leather trenchcoat and bragged about his 16 year old girlfriend and how he was buddies with her mom). But the people I was regularly interacting with didn't have the greatest pool of knowledge and no one really knew what they were doing. You had the odd kid who was really loving good at painting and modeling for some reason, but he couldn't explain to anyone how he did what he did. There was another friend I had who blew me away when he grabbed a spare heavy bolter sponson, glued it to a marine, and then stuck on a section of a bracelet as an ammo feed to make a cheap devastator. I would never have dreamed of converting my own units before that. Basically, it took a long time to learn how to do this stuff properly, from basic assembling technique like filing mold lines and gap filling, to more complicated conversions. I've learned way more about hobbying now that I'm an adult who games with other adults and we have enough collective experience between us that we understand how to explain techniques to each other. But it took me a decade of poorly painted models to get here.

You'd think with the internet and YouTube, kids would have better resources from which to learn, but this thread is evidence that that doesn't happen as often as it should.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Yes, but who gives kids enough money to buy God-drat Baneblades?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

JcDent posted:

Absentee parents.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
Yeah, I remember when I was a dumb kid just getting into the hobby people would tell me "thin your paints!" so I thinned my paints. Then after trying to paint my loving clanrats with essentially glazing on top of black primer, I got fed up because it was obviously stupid and just getting the unthinned paint worked a lot better than having to do 30 coats and it still looking like poo poo. The results were what you'd expect.

It wasn't until a lot later when I got back into the hobby and youtube was already a thing that I actually looked up what consistency you should thin to, what the goals of thinning are and how to reach them, and how to utilize your brush. I still had to drudge through a lot of garbage videos where the guy basically just goes "just make a 50/50 mix" when what you get with a 50/50 mix varies with each paint, especially if you use several brands. "Thin your paints" by itself was probably the least useful advice I ever got as a dumb kid.

I also remember how drybrushing was like this amazing revelation when I used it to do the teeth on my second thermagaunt. I wished I had a photo of the first one to share, but imagine someone trying to pick out gaunt teeth in skull white on black primer with an overloaded brush and probably unthinned paint too. The drybrushed teeth on the second one probably also looked like rear end but wasn't as funny.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Hra Mormo posted:

Yeah, I remember when I was a dumb kid just getting into the hobby people would tell me "thin your paints!" so I thinned my paints. Then after trying to paint my loving clanrats with essentially glazing on top of black primer, I got fed up because it was obviously stupid and just getting the unthinned paint worked a lot better than having to do 30 coats and it still looking like poo poo. The results were what you'd expect.

It wasn't until a lot later when I got back into the hobby and youtube was already a thing that I actually looked up what consistency you should thin to, what the goals of thinning are and how to reach them, and how to utilize your brush. I still had to drudge through a lot of garbage videos where the guy basically just goes "just make a 50/50 mix" when what you get with a 50/50 mix varies with each paint, especially if you use several brands. "Thin your paints" by itself was probably the least useful advice I ever got as a dumb kid.

I also remember how drybrushing was like this amazing revelation when I used it to do the teeth on my second thermagaunt. I wished I had a photo of the first one to share, but imagine someone trying to pick out gaunt teeth in skull white on black primer with an overloaded brush and probably unthinned paint too. The drybrushed teeth on the second one probably also looked like rear end but wasn't as funny.

Oh, man, yeah.

I probably got my best paint consistencies via airbrush tutorials, since the whole "It should be like milk" thing is 100% as applicable for brush-on paints as it is airbrush paints. Endless screaming of "thin your paints" just makes you think you need it wash-level consistency and that's horrific.

Plus the amount of paint your dealing onto your brush matters too even if it is thin; if you've just smothered the brush in then you're going to get massive messy blobs of stuff everywhere regardless.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

spectralent posted:

the whole "It should be like milk" thing is 100% as applicable for brush-on paints as it is airbrush paints.

we talking full fat or semi skimmed???

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Moola posted:

we talking full fat or semi skimmed???

full fat

Semi skimmed is too watery but is probably tolerable for airbrushing if you're going to touch up the areas it came out too thin with a brush after.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
ok im going to study some full fat milk later

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Moola posted:

ok im going to study some full fat milk later

What brand?

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

YF19pilot posted:

This just proves my theory that Cold War tanks fit 40k's aesthetic better than 40k's own aesthetic (especially in regards to IG tanks).

I now want to make a cold war IG complete with lazer Kalashnikovs. That tank is dope.

Colonial Air Force posted:

Absentee parents.

Now I am sad.

signalnoise posted:

What brand?

Clover

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Colonial Air Force posted:

Absentee parents.

Western kapeetalesst pig dogs!

Herr Tog posted:

I now want to make a cold war IG complete with lazer Kalashnikovs. That tank is dope.

Luckily for you, space AKs are fairly popular as conversion bits go!

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Maybe easier to understand: Paint should run like a liquid on the side of something, while remaining opaque.

e; or like an incline or whatever you typically use to check whether fluids are running and not just staying in a big sticky blob.

spectralent fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Feb 13, 2016

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

JcDent posted:

This hobby naturally attracts people who are terrible with money. I found a fully assembled Land Raider in the trashcan at the FLGS. It is still in my collection.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

signalnoise posted:

What brand?

coop ?

blue?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

someone get that stormtrooper a sports bra, my back is aching just looking at the poor thing :(

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Atlas Hugged posted:

I found a fully assembled Land Raider in the trashcan at the FLGS.

:stare:

It's like one of those God-drat childhood dreams of a truck filled with computers overturning in your yard.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Atlas Hugged posted:

This hobby naturally attracts people who are terrible with money. I found a fully assembled Land Raider in the trashcan at the FLGS. It is still in my collection.

One of my friends is like this. He spends loads on fancy new armies and then just throws the stuff out later when he's bored and decides he can't be bothered with them. Never makes any effort to let anyone know he's getting rid of stuff so we can buy it off him or donate it to a gaming club, just goes straight in the trash.

Fortunately last time this happened another friend (who happens to live on the same street as him) found the stuff next day so we were able to salvage most of it. Was a bunch of Anima models (sadly some of them have missing parts due to being unceremoniously dropped), a load of Terminators, couple of Land Raiders and Dreadnoughts, and a good chunk of Silver Helms and Phoenix Guard. Easily a few hundred pounds of stuff.

Said friend is also known for complaining about having no spending money. I wonder why...

JcDent
May 13, 2013

drat, what a twat

EDIT: With timmykits apparently first aimed at the US and the snapfit minis coming with both paper and YouTube instructions, I can't wait to see how the kids will gently caress them up.

JcDent fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Feb 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I really hope the Gretchin box they have pictured is just full of the 2nd ed ones with the spiky helmets and autoguns.