Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Which is completely their right. Sorry, but what they say goes.

So you feel that part of the constitutional power of confirmation is just flat denial of anyone at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Abel Wingnut posted:

is there any horsetrading to be done here? not that i see obama dealing, but just curious

I guess they MIGHT consider voting on Obama's nominee if Obama agreed to admit he is a secret Kenyan Muslim who hates America, and then resigned after implicating Hillary in a huge scandal.

But they'd still vote against whoever it was.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Tatum Girlparts posted:

So you feel that part of the constitutional power of confirmation is just flat denial of anyone at all?

I can't see how it wouldn't be. Where does it say they eventually have to settle on somebody?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Obama will be speaking at 8:30 EST

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

oh boy preempting the debate this is loving nuts

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Obama gonna speech at 8:35

Should of really trolled Republicans and do it during the debate

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

SedanChair posted:

I can't see how it wouldn't be. Where does it say they eventually have to settle on somebody?

Wasn't it Cheney who said something of the effect of "There is nothing in the constitution that says there has to be nine people on the supreme court, we could just have the chief justice there stamping things" during one of the nomination fights?

I mean the reason there are 9 is because of a law that set it at that number, if we are going full out crazy congress could just pass a law setting it at 8.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yes. The power to confirm implicitly grants the negative power to not confirm. Furthermore, there is nothing saying they have to explicitly confirm in a timely manner. Other positions have been unconfirmed for even longer than Scalia's spot will be, and denying a confirmation vote to those positions was no less constitutional. Otherwise a suit surely would have been filed long ago.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Abel Wingnut posted:

oh boy preempting the debate this is loving nuts
I have nothing but quotes from early in Fury Road stuck in my head right now.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

lamentable dustman posted:

Obama gonna speech at 8:35

Should of really trolled Republicans and do it during the debate

He's hitting the before slot to prime the rage machine for maximum white hot knee jerk.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Fried Chicken posted:

It will, of course, change nothing, but I applaud him for trying (and inevitably failing) to get Americans to listen to why timely confirmations are sort of important!

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

I hope Trollbama shows up to start nominating the most outrageous picks for Supreme Court Justice; like not even actual judge nominees

Supreme Court Justice Kanye West, you say? :v:

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
aww yeah, the good poo poo:

https://twitter.com/tbogg/status/698677022449471491

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/698675628212486144

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Tatum Girlparts posted:

yes. The check would be the people voting out the Senators responsible. If they re-elect them, then the people consented to obstruction.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Fried Chicken posted:

Wasn't it Cheney who said something of the effect of "There is nothing in the constitution that says there has to be nine people on the supreme court, we could just have the chief justice there stamping things" during one of the nomination fights?

I mean the reason there are 9 is because of a law that set it at that number, if we are going full out crazy congress could just pass a law setting it at 8.

Sure but the power of appointing justices is clearly intended to be equally distributed between the two branches.

Imagine Trump and a Democratic senate. Do they have to confirm the 10th pro wrestler because they didn't like the first 9 he nominated?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Fried Chicken posted:

iirc the law question sets the upper limit at 9, there doesn't always have to be 9 but I think you need a couple for a quorum.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Fried Chicken posted:

I really wish he'd waited until 9pm.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I don't wanna say "I'm glad he's dead" but...

Guys I'm glad the most conservative justice is no longer serving on the Supreme Court of this country

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Joementum posted:

Since about 1789.

radical meme posted:

227 years.

Seriously, 227 years.

edit: drat it, beaten by Jomentum

Wasn't the Warren Court considered somewhat liberal? Honestly asking; I don't really know my Supreme Court history.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Raskolnikov38 posted:

iirc the law question sets the upper limit at 9, there doesn't always have to be 9 but I think you need a couple for a quorum.

The same act that caps it at 9 says that 6 is a quorum.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

VikingofRock posted:

Wasn't the Warren Court considered somewhat liberal? Honestly asking; I don't really know my Supreme Court history.

On civil rights, yes, but the court has always been biased toward business interests.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

any streams for obama's speech?

and how do you pronounce sri's full name?

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

Joementum posted:

Same

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Joementum posted:

Nah, this way he can pre-emptively poison the well for tonight's debate. The speech at 9 PM would have been funnier though

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

Monkey Fracas posted:

Guys I'm glad the most conservative justice is no longer serving on the Supreme Court of this country

I'll do it for you :I'm glad Scalia is dead.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Sri Srinivasan as the new judge? Of course Obummer would pick a Muslim to replace Scalia. :moreevil:

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Huh weird. So you literally can't understand it?

I found the killing of Osama to be a pretty hollow victory, and the scenes of cheering in the streets to be disturbing.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
lord obama now set to appear

https://www.whitehouse.gov/live

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

VikingofRock posted:

It was as close as we ever had due to, ya know things like the whole 'maybe stop segregating', but it had a lot of regressive pro-business interest things too.

Brannock posted:

Nah, this way he can pre-emptively poison the well for tonight's debate. The speech at 9 PM would have been funnier though

Yea this is the less funny but more effective option that will hopefully blindside someone

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Ahahaha the aides are literally joking and LAUGHING in the background, watch that be huge.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Hey, if you want to imagine peak loving insanity, what if 2016 ends up in perpetual recount like 2000 and goes to a 8 person Supreme Court to decide

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Fried Chicken posted:

The Senate refused to confirm John Tyler's nominations for 27 months.

ugh Republicans are just as terrible as ever i see

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Obama should nominate Berlusconi out of respect for Scalia's heritage.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I'm glad reagan scalia dead.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Joementum posted:

He just might be doing that.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Fried Chicken posted:

Hey, if you want to imagine peak loving insanity, what if 2016 ends up in perpetual recount like 2000 and goes to a 8 person Supreme Court to decide

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
just heard that scalia is dead, im not unhappy at this turn of events

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Monkey Fracas posted:

Clarence Thomas is still breathing at last check.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Ballz posted:

Clarence Thomas is still breathing at last check.

Without the host organism he'll soon wither

• Locked thread