Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Which is exactly why they are framing it in terms of the general to begin with. What can Democrats say that effectively counters that messaging to turn it into an election issue? Not much that can't be handwaved away with some artful phrasing about letting the people decide.

The only election issue Democrats will get any traction on is "vote for me for a liberal justice", but Republicans get the same issue, and no one will vote on that issue anyway.

The thing is, there are far more democrats than republicans in this country. So anything that increases turnout is a net benefit for Dems

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyapunov Unstable
Nov 20, 2011
prediction: obama is going to finish remarks 1-2 minutes before the debate, giving the gop candidates 0 time to think up a response before speaking

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Lyapunov Unstable posted:

prediction: obama is going to finish remarks 1-2 minutes before the debate, giving the gop candidates 0 time to think up a response before speaking

Advantage: Trump.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Joementum posted:

Advantage: Donald "Because I don't want to, Greta" Trump.

"gently caress him"

*ten minutes of unbroken applause*

sexy fucking muskrat
Aug 22, 2010

by exmarx
poo poo here comes Obama!

lol he's just reading from Scalia's wiki page now

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Casual Obama

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
"with an energetic mind and colorful opinions"

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Without the host organism he'll soon wither

gently caress you, I have been over this at least three times today and I will take it out on you a bit. Clarence Thomas is a reactionary madman, but he is consistent and self-directed.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

I was hoping for the tan suit.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

One thing you could say about President Trump: he would have come out here and said what we were all thinking

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

gently caress you, I have been over this at least three times today and I will take it out on you a bit. Clarence Thomas is a reactionary madman, but he is consistent and self-directed.

He also follows his philosophy wherever it takes him, even it means siding with the most liberal members. Thomas is a lunatic, but he is not a political creature imo.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Oh poo poo Obama is gonna filibuster the GOP debate

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Wow Obama sure loves Scalia huh

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
:byewhore:

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Obama definitely says he's going to nominate a successor, expects the senate to confirm and give a timely vote

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
He's ruling out a recess appointment. No surprise there.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Hahaha 'gently caress you I'm nominating someone, deal.'

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

"In due time." Curious if we'll get it before March.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

"Why would I wear a tie? I only wear ties to grieve."

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
haha wow that was a quick announcement

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Obama said BEEKUS

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

Good Citizen posted:

Oh poo poo Obama is gonna filibuster the GOP debate

"I will now read every dissent he wrote."

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Obama was busy making zucchini bread for Michelle, he didn't have time to put on a tie.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Once Scalia's core temperature has lowered, we'll uh, we'll open him up and, in due time, appoint a successor.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Valentin posted:

"In due time." Curious if we'll get it before March.

How long does it usually take? I would think we'd get one within the week.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Sir Tonk posted:

Obama was busy making zucchini bread for Michelle, he didn't have time to put on a tie.

He's in Cali

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

So he's on vacation when this happens?

Sounds like he set up an alibi to me.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Fuerher Brown has banned ties.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Since I didn't post it here earlier, there's a thread for tonight debate right here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3764199

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Hillary put out a statement immediately after Obama finished speaking:

quote:

My thoughts and prayers are with the family and friends of Justice Scalia as they mourn his sudden passing. I did not hold Justice Scalia's views, but he was a dedicated public servant who brought energy and passion to the bench.

The Republicans in the Senate and on the campaign trail who are calling for Justice Scalia's seat to remain vacant dishonor our Constitution. The Senate has a constitutional responsibility here that it cannot abdicate for partisan political reasons.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
The GOP already hosed up by jumping out too far ahead and being obstructionist for no reason. They've lost the moral highground within hours.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

foobardog posted:

Fuerher Brown has banned ties.

He keeps the bullet trains running on time

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Nice jab at the Senate, but it probably won't help.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Schnorkles posted:

He also follows his philosophy wherever it takes him, even it means siding with the most liberal members. Thomas is a lunatic, but he is not a political creature imo.

Yeah that's the difference between Scalia and Thomas. They both hate weed but only one of them voted against California's MMJ laws in Gonzales vs Raich, thereby completely blowing up any reasonable reading of the Commerce Clause as well as disregarding actual states' rights, ironically enough.

SedanChair posted:

Once Scalia's core temperature has lowered, we'll uh, we'll open him up and, in due time, appoint a successor.

Don't wait too long. The Goa'uld symbiotes need a new host quickly.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008
Are the republicans being obstructionist really going to hurt them? I dunno maybe I'm to disillusioned with the American populace, but it just seems the GOP can go "hey the dems dont want yoou the voter to have a say on whos on the supreme court" and that will just play better with your average voter. I mean yeah I know thats not supposed to be how things work but would people really care about constitutional law?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I was watching MSNBC coverage leading up to the debate and was dismayed to find out this idiot, who has no capacity for insight, whose inhalations made him sound like an asthmatic having an attack, is NBC's senior political reporter: https://twitter.com/perrybaconjr

This probably explains, in part, why I don't really watch NBC news coverage.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

SedanChair posted:

During the last Senate session before the election, Joe Biden brings up the vacancy. The sound of glass breaking blasts over the speakers. Mah Gawd! Out comes Stone Cold Steve Austin running towards the center!

Ted Cruz tries to stop him from reaching the podium but is met by a stunner instead. Diamond Joe tosses him a six pack and Austin chugs it down while flipping the bird at the GOP Caucus.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

:qq: :qq: :qq: :qq: :qq: :qq: :qq: :qq: :qq: :qq: :qq:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/12/opinion/livin-bernie-sanderss-danish-dream.html

quote:

Livin Bernie Sanderss Danish Dream

David Brooks FEB. 12, 2016

American capitalism has always been distinct from continental European capitalism. Weve had more entrepreneurial creativity but less security. Our system has favored higher living standards for consumers while theirs has favored stability for employees and producers.

For the past several decades, the United States has had a bipartisan consensus that we should stick to our style of capitalism and our style of welfare state. There has always been a broad consensus that a continent-size nation like ours had to be diverse and decentralized, with a vibrant charitable sector and a great variety of spending patterns and lifestyles.

American values have always been biased toward individualism, achievement and flexibility nurturing disruptive dynamos like Bell Labs, Walmart, Whole Foods, Google and Apple and less toward dirigisme, order and economic equality.

Its amazing that a large part of the millennial generation has rejected this consensus. In supporting Bernie Sanders they are not just supporting a guy who is mad at Wall Street. They are supporting a guy who fundamentally wants to reshape the American economic system, and thus reshape American culture and values. As he told ABCs George Stephanopoulos, he wants to make us more like northern Europe.

According to The Wall Street Journal, Sanders would add $18 trillion to the federal budget over the next 10 years. Currently, total government spending is about 36 percent of G.D.P. Under Sanders it would rise to about 47.5 percent of G.D.P., putting us comfortably in the European range.

First, Sanders would centralize power in Washington. If you radically increase the amount of money going to the Washington establishment, as Sanders would, youre giving that establishment greater resources to control American life.

Second, Sanders would weaken the ability of members of the middle class to make choices about their own lives. He would raise taxes on the rich, but there is only so much money you can squeeze out of such a small group of people. European welfare states generally rely on a highly regressive value-added/sales tax usually around 20 to 25 percent.

Middle classes across Europe bear a much higher tax load than the American middle class. As Austan Goolsbee, a former economic adviser to President Obama, has noted, you really cant have a Swedish-style welfare state without a broad high tax burden. That means less spending power for most Americans, and fewer resources to choose ones own lifestyle.

Third, Sanders would change the incentive structure for the countrys most successful people. He proposes raising the top tax rate to 52 percent. As Josh Barro noted in The Times, when you add in state, local and other taxes, top earners would be paying a combined tax rate over 73 percent. In high-tax locales like New York City and California, it would be even more.

Its possible that entrepreneurs, company founders and others would pay these rates without changing their behavior, but I wouldnt count on it. When you make risk-taking less rewarding, you get fewer risk-takers, which is exactly what you see across the Atlantic. When you raise taxes that high, the Elon Musks of the world find other places to build their companies.

Fourth, Sanders would Europeanize American public universities. It sounds great to make college free. In fact, its a hugely expensive program that would mostly benefit the already affluent.

It would create, as in Germany, a legion of eternal students who have little incentive to leave school because the costs are so low. It would give Washington officials greater control over state universities, determining what sort of faculty they could hire and what sort of programs they could run. It would threaten hundreds of private colleges, which could no longer compete against the completely subsidized state system. It would reduce the pressures universities now feel to reform themselves because it would cushion them with federal largess. Slowly, American universities would look more like their European counterparts. Theyd be less good.

The changes in the health care system would be along the same lines. Sanders would create a centralized and streamlined system. His approach would also, as in Europe, reduce the rate of medical progress, increase the rationing of care, increase the wait times for patients, induce many doctors to retire and centralize decision-making. He might reduce health care costs by $6 trillion over the next decade, but his proposal to do this gives new meaning to the word vagueness.

Theres nothing wrong with living in northern Europe. Ive lived there myself. Its just not the homeland weve always known. Bernie Sanderss America is starkly different from Alexander Hamiltons or Alexis de Tocquevilles America or even Bill Clintons and Barack Obamas America.

Its amazing that so many young people want to mimic a continent that has been sluggish for decades. Its amazing that so many look to the future and want a country that would be a lot less vibrant.

:qq: :qq: :qq: but...but...but... Alexis de Tocqueville!!!!!!!! :qq: :qq: :qq:

:fuckoff:

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
"This is a tremendous blow to conservativism" -Trump

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Hillary put out a statement immediately after Obama finished speaking:

Her statement came before Obama's.

• Locked thread