Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

FrostyPox posted:

-probably the only good point: No need to buy an $85 rulebook and $50 Army book.

This isn't a good point either because the official line (well, what my GW man says, anyways) is that AoS is only really good when you play the scenarios which are in $60 campaign books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Tempted to run a Deathwatch game about being asked to rescue/kidnap/recruit the last few "un-tainted" members of the Space Wolves from Fenris before the requested exterminatus hits the chapter.

The request would, of course, have been made by a very grumpy Bjorn the Fell Handed.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Bjorn has got to be so loving pissed about all of this poo poo.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Oh my God the perspective issues on those claws...

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

goatface posted:

Tempted to run a Deathwatch game about being asked to rescue/kidnap/recruit the last few "un-tainted" members of the Space Wolves from Fenris before the requested exterminatus hits the chapter.

The request would, of course, have been made by a very grumpy Bjorn the Fell Handed.

I'm down

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

CTRL-C, Mirror, Resize, CTRL-V

That's B^U Levels of shite

Renfield fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Feb 13, 2016

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Thirsty Dog posted:

Oh my God the perspective issues on those claws...

No, see, the left hand Murderlord Murderclaws are always angled inward and upward by forty degrees to protect the geneseed from... Nah I'm making GBS threads you, the artist is a mongoloid with seizure issues.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

TKIY posted:

Left hand Murderlord Murderclaws are always angled inward by forty degrees to protect the geneseed from... Nah I'm making GBS threads you, the artist is a mongoloid with seizure issues.

I think you'll find he's a murderloid with murder issues :colbert:

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
So, have the Wulfen always worn power armored bike shorts or is this a new development?

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

NTRabbit posted:

I think you'll find he's a murderloid with murder issues :colbert:

At least he's working through them with Psycho-ologist.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Avenging Dentist posted:

So, have the Wulfen always worn power armored bike shorts or is this a new development?
Nah, they used to be in scavenged, cobbled-together power armor that they had stolen off of all of the chaos marines they had killed during their time in the Eye of Terror. Also, not all of the 13th Company were wulfen so there were actually other marines that could take care of things like that.

The new take on the wulfen is super dumb.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Icon Of Sin posted:

Fyreslayers confirmed in 40k! AGE OF THE EMPEROR IS UPON US!

*In old man Palpatine's voice* "Yeeeeeesssss.... Do it."

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Safety Factor posted:

Nah, they used to be in scavenged, cobbled-together power armor that they had stolen off of all of the chaos marines they had killed during their time in the Eye of Terror. Also, not all of the 13th Company were wulfen so there were actually other marines that could take care of things like that.

The new take on the wulfen is super dumb.

The FFG books (which are, as usual, cooler and better than the core GW in pretty much every conceivable fashion) make the point that wearing power armor components outside of the integrated setup that, you know, powers them, is really dumb because that poo poo's super heavy. Like if power armor's power goes out, even an Astartes is going to have trouble moving around in it. Obviously it would be much better if you were only wearing the bike shorts part of the armor but it's still going to be suboptimal for fighting in.

What you want at that point is carapace armor like scouts wear, but that's designed from the ground up as its own thing, not "when I started to turn into a wolf I threw away all my armor except for the thighs and codpiece"

e: also two of those wulfen are still wearing their power armor backpacks even though they serve literally no function in that situation.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I was gonna say backpacks look cool and rad for the teenage boy audience, but none of those backpacks are slung over one shoulder and worn carelessly.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

JerryLee posted:

The FFG books (which are, as usual, cooler and better than the core GW in pretty much every conceivable fashion) make the point that wearing power armor components outside of the integrated setup that, you know, powers them, is really dumb because that poo poo's super heavy. Like if power armor's power goes out, even an Astartes is going to have trouble moving around in it. Obviously it would be much better if you were only wearing the bike shorts part of the armor but it's still going to be suboptimal for fighting in.

What you want at that point is carapace armor like scouts wear, but that's designed from the ground up as its own thing, not "when I started to turn into a wolf I threw away all my armor except for the thighs and codpiece"

e: also two of those wulfen are still wearing their power armor backpacks even though they serve literally no function in that situation.
Alright, this sort of thing has been bothering me since we first saw the new wulfen models. Power armor is supposed to be loving heavy, but it self-supports to a large degree. Think of it like one of those lifting exoskeletons we see being trialed occasionally. If you take off the legs then suddenly the wearer is bearing the full load which isn't the point of the loving thing. But then the models couldn't show off their dumbass wolf feet. And who knows what the gently caress those power packs are even doing. Powering weapons maybe?

The old models didn't have these issues because they kept the majority of the armor and had full-blown power pants/shoes instead of jorts.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

JerryLee posted:

wrong idiot.

they're all wearing them.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

nopantsjack posted:

wrong idiot.

they're all wearing them.

Welp. I guess it just wasn't as prominent on the ones in the back. :iamafag:

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

JerryLee posted:

Welp. I guess it just wasn't as prominent on the ones in the back. :iamafag:

the picture kinda makes it look like they're wearing bespoke unpowered wolfman armour which I wouldn't put past the space wolves but then that does beg the question of what those backpacks are for.

my guess is carrying treats and snacks

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

I mean the answer to "I was a [super]human wearing power armor fitted to a [super]human and now I'm turning into something monstrous, what do?" has already been shown by Possessed, and their models do a fairly good job of it (the Gal Vorbak kick rear end and even the plastic 40k possessed are way better than this wulfen poo poo) but I guess the wulfen need their own thing to show that even though they walk like a duck and talk like a duck they're still just ~misunderstood~ servants of the emperor :downs:

JerryLee fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Feb 14, 2016

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

The Space Wolves blatant hypocrisy of driving the Thousand sons to chaos for being mutants whilst having loads of degenerate mutant bullshit going on in their chapter is something that would be pretty cool, if GW realised it at all to acknowledge it.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
On the bright side, if the rumor sites are anything to go by, it looks like the Dark Angels are doing the right thing and trying to exterminate the furry menace. This involves being misled by a shape-shifting demon, but it's still the right thing to do.

This sad excuse for a plot line will end with a wet fart and nothing will actually change.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

this thundercats reboot must be stopped

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I could see GW creating a separate human faction. Protestant Space Marines.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

I could see them doing a big endtimes-esque story event maybe with some returned primarch models and possibly a new army or two, space sigmarines and khorne bloodblade warblood bloodband.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Space Wolves, Ultramarines, and Salamanders split off to be Reasonable Marines, and fight Dark Angels, Irons Hands, and Grey Knights.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008
The Mary-Sue Grey Knights are the Bad guys ?
Just cos they bathe in the blood of virgins ?

Can't see that happening

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Split into three: Orthodox, eccentric, reasonable.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Renfield posted:

The Mary-Sue Grey Knights are the Bad guys ?
Just cos they bathe in the blood of virgins ?

Can't see that happening

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

nopantsjack posted:

my guess is carrying treats and snacks

Tactical milkbones?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

nice, that little girl wulfen is extremely apropo

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I got to play Forbidden Stars today, that games pretty cool!

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Sharkopath posted:

I was looking at some of the art released for the new space wolf stuff, why does fantasy flight always have fantastic art in their warhammer games and games workshop hire dudes putting out work like this?

I always assumed they were pulling from the same pool of talent but i guess not.

I had no idea this was 40K and not AoS until you told me so and saw the tiny itty bitty space marines in the background :psyduck: Also who the hell at GW has a hard on for top knots? Every loving new model seems to have one, even loving Tau

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Sharkopath posted:

It really really is, FFG are so good at what they do, drat

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Sharkopath posted:

FFG, the logo of a good GW game

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Safety Factor posted:

On the bright side, if the rumor sites are anything to go by, it looks like the Dark Angels are doing the right thing and trying to exterminate the furry menace. This involves being misled by a shape-shifting demon, but it's still the right thing to do.

This sad excuse for a plot line will end with a wet fart and nothing will actually change.

The Dark Angels will be banished into the eye because they were led astray by a demon. Furry supremacy will be confirmed.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Also who the hell at GW has a hard on for top knots? Every loving new model seems to have one, even loving Tau

Abaddon has a VERY good lobbying group representing him. GW still isn't budging on the arms, though.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

frajaq posted:

It really really is, FFG are so good at what they do, drat

The only downside is even though the learn to play book makes it simple and easy to pick up for such a complex game, they actually stuck a good chunk of important rules in the glossary rulebook that change how the game is played.

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

malal posted:

Sometimes the nurses chat and play cards while the patient sleeps, the low hum and whir-click of the breathing apparatus noticeable in the background.

It's the waiting that's the worst part. You loved the person for so long, even staying by their side when the dementia set in, them cursing and making GBS threads; spittle flying from their mouth somehow worse then the sharp smell of feces. Names once recognized, screamed in a new and inchoate tongue by the twisted shape lying emaciated on the bed that once loved you and was loved by you.

You envy the nurses, for them it's just going through the motions, administering palliative care. For them they have seen it and done it many times. They are not rude or callous, they just know the inevitable will come. Not quickly though, it will get dragged on until you even have the thought of ending it yourself. The thought instantly makes you sick, you take a break from your vigil. Hopefully one of your brothers or sisters can watch over GW tomorrow, you really will go mad if you keep the vigil one more night.

A low round of laughter, light and ethereal erupts from the nurses. As the nightly drugs set in they know they can relax just a little. You can just barely hear the sounds from outside.

Whir-click.

is this from something or is this an original post because this is pretty good

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Sharkopath posted:

The only downside is even though the learn to play book makes it simple and easy to pick up for such a complex game, they actually stuck a good chunk of important rules in the glossary rulebook that change how the game is played.

FFG are pretty good at writing rules, but they really suck at organising them. (and they aren't always so great at making them clear, either)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

FFG are pretty good at writing rules, but they really suck at organising them. (and they aren't always so great at making them clear, either)

I would say that means they're not very good at writing rules. (But perhaps they're good at game design.)

I know this is the GW thread and all so the bar for "good rules" is so low that nearly anyone can exceed it, but clearly-presented, well-designed rules should be the baseline.

• Locked thread