Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Hakkesshu posted:

And to think he's probably the sanest, most normal wrestler still alive from that generation

Just a great guy in general too. IIRC he does a lot of volunteer work with abused women. And one of those guys that just always has time for whatever you need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
Wrestling fucks people up hard. Daniel Bryan just retired because of brain damage.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
:nms: I found a gif of a snake puking a kangaroo and had to reverse because I don't know why :nms:
http://i.imgur.com/ZGgnxzS.gif

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

And to think he's probably the sanest, most normal wrestler still alive from that generation

Listening to him on various media has led me to believe he is also the goddamn biggest sweetheart on the planet.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

CzarChasm posted:

Just a great guy in general too. IIRC he does a lot of volunteer work with abused women. And one of those guys that just always has time for whatever you need.

I think he also does a ton of charity for kids and I think has wrote, maybe, more than a few kid's books as well.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
Let's be honest here. Mick Foley may be a rad dude who is ultra kind, but sane isn't a word I'd use to describe him.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TontoCorazon posted:

I think he also does a ton of charity for kids and I think has wrote, maybe, more than a few kid's books as well.

I read Tietam Brown by him, it was pretty good for a Young Adult/Late Teens novel by him. Pretty impressive for, what I think, was his first attempt at a fictional book. Not really something I'd say is a "kid's book" but maybe he wrote more toned down books.

Edit - I read his autobiography (because when it came out I was still a semi-fan of WWF poo poo) and there was a pretty fun tone to it all. He talked about that match where the 3rd gif came from, you can see something on his beard which people said was snot on the broadcast. It was actually his tooth somehow making its way that direction and getting caught in his hair that he can't explain the trajectory on.

Mekchu has a new favorite as of 13:04 on Feb 14, 2016

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Skaw posted:

Let's be honest here. Mick Foley may be a rad dude who is ultra kind, but sane isn't a word I'd use to describe him.

After he quit wrestling he sure seems that way, I have not seen him go on any insane rants or crime sprees which is more than you can say about most retired wrestlers

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Fun detail: later in the same match where Mick went off the top of the cell, there was a spot where they both were back on the roof and Undertaker chokeslammed him through the cage. This was a genuine accident and both Undertaker and Terry Funk thought he was dead. It's also how his tooth got knocked out; as well as that, he dislocated his jaw and tore a hole in his lip.

The thing is, that's almost the same as what happens in the first gif, and that's from a later match. Guy reviewed the experience and said, sure, let's do that again.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
pretty much the only reason he survived the match was because the chokeslam was botched, too. if he'd been chokeslammed properly he would have landed on his head after the cage broke unexpectedly, but because he slipped from the undertaker's grip he landed relatively flat. apparently after the match the undertaker went to the first aid room to make sure he was okay, and foley asked if they did the "thumbtack spot" (the slam onto a bunch to thumbtacks), at which point taker pointed out the thumbtacks currently still embedded in foley's arm

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
He also spend his personal time taking calls on a sexual assault support line & had to learn how to use computers because the organization he was working with launched an online support line.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.

Ghostpilot posted:

Some gifs courtesy of Joel Roset.

These are really neat; do you know if they're test animations for a game, or is it just 'hey look what I can do' for his portfolio?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

The sword-to-bow transition is so good.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Hakkesshu posted:

After he quit wrestling he sure seems that way, I have not seen him go on any insane rants or crime sprees which is more than you can say about most retired wrestlers

There was that time he cheated at a chicken wing eating competition

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Improbable Lobster posted:

There was that time he cheated at a chicken wing eating competition

Let he who is with out sin, cast the first chicken bone.

Ninja: Right, this is the gif thread. Here, this seems appropriate:

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

gently caress yes. gently caress YES. This had me fist pumping. This is how you do a fight scene. Blue Haired kid with a master crafted sword vs. an old man with a pipe from Lowe's.

Bluemillion has a new favorite as of 18:19 on Feb 14, 2016

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Geomancing posted:

These are really neat; do you know if they're test animations for a game, or is it just 'hey look what I can do' for his portfolio?

I hope it's the former, because I'd like to play a game that stylish.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

http://i.imgur.com/ncYUQoN.gifv

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
If that's the Mick Foley match I'm thinking of, Undertaker slammed Mankind into the announcer's table, and Foley faked being far more injured than he really was (he dislocated his shoulder). This was supposed to be the big spot of the match and resulted in the famous "As god is my witness, he is broken in half!" Everything went as planned until the second spot, when Undertaker was supposed to slam Mankind into the grating, causing it to bend.

It didn't bend.

Even after the very real, very serious injury, Foley refused to stop. Terry Funk got into the ring to stall for time, which wasn't planned. This resulted in him literally getting knocked out of his shoes.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

http://i.imgur.com/0Ooi49Y.gifv

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Geomancing posted:

I know about as much about it as you do, I'm afraid. It'd be fantastic if it did turn out to be part of a project, though!

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwCbbMgp3Lw

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

can someone tell me who this guy that keeps being inserted into gifs is? I don't think I've seen whatever he is from.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

mateo360 posted:

can someone tell me who this guy that keeps being inserted into gifs is? I don't think I've seen whatever he is from.

If you've never seen Pulp Fiction, go watch Pulp Fiction!

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Ak Gara posted:

It's not the best movie in the world but it could be in the best you haven't seen yet!

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

mateo360 posted:

this is such benign bait, it perplexes me

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Geemer posted:

I hope it's the former, because I'd like to play a game that stylish.

Why do they have a permanent marker on their dick though?

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

dpbjinc posted:

If that's the Mick Foley match I'm thinking of, Undertaker slammed Mankind into the announcer's table, and Foley faked being far more injured than he really was (he dislocated his shoulder). This was supposed to be the big spot of the match and resulted in the famous "As god is my witness, he is broken in half!" Everything went as planned until the second spot, when Undertaker was supposed to slam Mankind into the grating, causing it to bend.

It didn't bend.

Even after the very real, very serious injury, Foley refused to stop. Terry Funk got into the ring to stall for time, which wasn't planned. This resulted in him literally getting knocked out of his shoes.

Ross and Lawlers reactions were 100% organic. Neither of them were in the know about what was going to happen. Jims line after the drop on to the table that you mentioned and Lawlers "That's it, he's dead" after he falls through the top in to the ring were complete awe in what unfolded.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

dpbjinc posted:

It didn't bend.

Thank god wrestling is fake, otherwise he really would've gotten hurt!!

Zteuer
Nov 8, 2009

flatluigi posted:

Thank god wrestling is fake, otherwise he really would've gotten hurt!!

:vince:

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Foley's autobiography has a great story about a nurse asking him "Isn't wrestling fake?" while she was throwing away his severed ear.

Scripted stories and rigged results don't mean the impacts aren't dangerous. Movies are fake too, and stuntmen sure don't have a safe job.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Ak Gara posted:

I'm not emptyquoting this really smart goon

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

rydiafan posted:

Foley's autobiography has a great story about a nurse asking him "Isn't wrestling fake?" while she was throwing away his severed ear.

Scripted stories and rigged results don't mean the impacts aren't dangerous. Movies are fake too, and stuntmen sure don't have a safe job.

I was joking :ssh:

Wrestling's a loving dangerous job

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

flatluigi posted:

I was joking :ssh:

I know. I was just sharing a topical anecdote.

Here's a clip from one of my favorite matches ever.

clockwork automaton
May 2, 2007

You've probably never heard of them.

Fun Shoe

I've been rewatching xfiles and I was struck by how adorable this animation is

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
thank mr skeletal

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Detective Buttfuck