Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
The intrinsically bad part is the number of words coming out of your mouth to share your 2 cents on this issue.

drat neckbeards and their honor, it's dark souls and imma gently caress ur poo poo up in the most dishonorable and underhanded way possible because it makes me feel funny inside, and I like chasing that feeling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

KingSlime posted:

The intrinsically bad part is the number of words coming out of your mouth to share your 2 cents on this issue.

drat neckbeards and their honor, it's dark souls and imma gently caress ur poo poo up in the most dishonorable and underhanded way possible because it makes me feel funny inside, and I like chasing that feeling.

I like the cut of this man's jib

Do you want to gank squad some dragon bros at iron keep bridge with me

Orv
May 4, 2011
Inconveniencing someone in a video game and physical violence are terrible comparisons. The question of fights in Souls is whatever feels right based on whatever the person shows up wearing or doing, and is separate from laughing at e-bushido.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Sperglord Firecock posted:

I like the cut of this man's jib

Do you want to gank squad some dragon bros at iron keep bridge with me

Only if I can wear my jesters hat and abuse the hell out of the mock gesture

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I play the game to have fun and winning a 2 on 1 gank isn't fun, so even at the risk of losing an entire Titanite Chunk I let Bellbro invasions play out one dude at a time so I get to play/watch an interesting fight. Letting the host heal is pretty stupid though, I don't know why you'd willingly subject yourself to that.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

KingSlime posted:

Only if I can wear my jesters hat and abuse the hell out of the mock gesture

I don't judge bby :wink:

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I do red invasions in the belltowers and my goal is to attack the closest thing that is moving to me. I win if I can get the bellbro and the host to join forces against me.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

argondamn posted:

I do red invasions in the belltowers and my goal is to attack the closest thing that is moving to me. I win if I can get the bellbro and the host to join forces against me.

This is also acceptable.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Can you actually do that now? A lot of the knights rush you from places you can't see, and if you don't know the right place to go, it's impossible to pull them. I always get rushed by several as soon as I walk out into the first big open area, and you can't use the same strategy to pull the knights on the last platform before the smelter demon as well. Before you could just slowly progress through the area in a linear path and deal with enemies as they came. Now, you actually have to plan where to go to pull them safely.

Nah, I just did it for the first time this morning - I never had more than 2 on me at once, and only a couple times. If it helps I'm using the sea bow which gives me the longest range possible to snipe them from the doorway.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
There's no honor in DS2 pvp because the meta is magic

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
My pvp experience today was the host got invaded and the invader decided to fight me first (the host ran off into a corner), we got about 1.5 exchanges in then the host DCed us. :smith:

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

is PVP still pretty active in SOTFS? I want to get ready for 3, but there really aren't many people anywhere in Dark Souls for Steam.

(doing a NG+ to immediately beeline to Belfry Luna)

well, I guess my question was answered by an invader that had infinite range backstabs, infinite health, completely killed my game audio on arrival, and crashed out after I died :gonk:

Victory Position fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Feb 13, 2016

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

The worst thing ever is, again, when you're a bell cop and your fellow bell cops are perfectly content to treat bell tower intruders as HONOR DUEL RECIPIENTS instead of free titanite chunks.

Bell Keepers are literally "be a massive raging dick" the covenant and it annoys me when people act otherwise. Don't loving let the host heal, keep the gently caress on him and make him dead.

Also, I'm probably the only one who thinks this, but although Elana and Sinh are fantastic bosses, the entire lead up to fight them is the most obnoxious goddamn area in the game.

The honour duels guys can be funny though. When I went into the tower, they formed a nice little line and everything. It was surreal chasing down a bell cop while his mates just watch. I hope they were emoting too.

My only regret is that the line ended. Spears are great yo.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Might do a Creighton build next though, and he uses the dragonslayer crescent axe, which seems like it'd be good with lightning infusion?

That's some good taste right there. The Dragonslayer is one of the best-looking weapons in the game, and Creighton is a psychotic dick so the build clearly suits you.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Well, I may be a dick but in DS1 and DS2, If I invade I'll use all tools (enviroment and enemies) to annoy the host and if I'm invaded I'll use anything to survive. The game is designed for that and I find kind of dumb the whole e-bushido thing. I mean, they created arenas in both games for e-sports purposes, this game is built around being annoying. I don't mind that people do it, just don't get mad and try to invite me to a "bad dark souls player" group if I break your honor rules.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

Guillermus posted:

Well, I may be a dick but in DS1 and DS2, If I invade I'll use all tools (enviroment and enemies) to annoy the host and if I'm invaded I'll use anything to survive. The game is designed for that and I find kind of dumb the whole e-bushido thing. I mean, they created arenas in both games for e-sports purposes, this game is built around being annoying. I don't mind that people do it, just don't get mad and try to invite me to a "bad dark souls player" group if I break your honor rules.

All E-honour invaders have never walked into a proper troll gank squad. Always presume that a host has friends pretending to be pots nearby if they are doing the full honour thing.

Cause that is what I do.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Hypha posted:

All E-honour invaders have never walked into a proper troll gank squad. Always presume that a host has friends pretending to be pots nearby if they are doing the full honour thing.

Cause that is what I do.

That's really cool in my opinion. If I see an afk host, try to just backstab him to death and then two guys pop from crates and smash me with great clubs, I'll have a laugh because that's the clever stuff I like to see on this game.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i was messing around with chameleon in belfry luna when i got red invaded. after he found me, he realized i was hiding immediately and chameleoned himself, and we danced as two fake sconces under the lunalight until i got invaded by a bellbro. he then ran off and killed them before coming back to play, and then killed two more before dropping a +10 lightning grand lance and leaving

dark souls multiplayer is pretty neat

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Is there any reason to get DS2 classic over SotFS?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Anatharon posted:

Is there any reason to get DS2 classic over SotFS?

Probably not. The game is a little more bullshit than it needed to be in some areas but alot of the new encounters are improvements, there's new and rebalanced items and the game does look significantly better, I'd say it's definitely a net-gain in quality

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
While a lot of the content is there, I can't think of a reason to snag vanilla. Steamcharts also says there's 3x-4x as many players in SotFS. More potential Sunbros is always a good thing.

It's weird playing in an SM range with actual people again after my 17mil SM character a few weeks ago, more invasions, four of those in short succession between Bastille and Sinner's Rise by two guys. Last one of those I had Lucatiel summoned for Sinner, and the guy had wrecked me in the Persuer room a few minutes before. Anyway he thought he was gonna get another easy kill and instead some mix of rolling and a tanky NPC pushed him off the tiny bridge in front of Sinner's door.

Later on in the night I found Jesus. He invaded me at Iron Keep and was busy beating the crap outta me, but unable to kill me while my spells did nothing. Got mad, swapped to my b.flame/ice.rapier powerstance, and the first L1 took off like 80% of his health... I guess he's noob like me and doesn't have 50 VIT. The lag in that fight was just weird. Hell the lag in all of the fights was weird, and I turned off cross-region play a few nights ago because I was tired of lag stabs. It fixed nothing and I'm still getting hit by late slashes I'm nowhere near :cry:

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
You know I haven't found Aldia's little speeches particularly illuminating, maybe I haven't heard enough of them yet (I'm past the Dragon Shrine tho...).
However I do remember when everybody was insisting the Ancient Dragon was Aldia and I said no because I knew better. I knew. :smug:

Also SOTFS placements are better than vanilla for the most part. There's even some "thematic" enemy placements which are always welcome.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I think old FoFG and No Man's Wharf were better, but every other area improved in quality a ton with SotFS.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I just sniped a guy off one of the fire-breathing statues at the Eygil's Eye bonfire in Iron Keep and he fell outside of the cage to his death. I love this game. I couldn't reach him because the fat red phantom was blocking the ladder, and he was trying to get me with poison arrows. I swapped to the twin-headed greatbow and hit him. I was expecting him to fall into the cage, I didn't even know you could fall outside of it. I love this game.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
That loving room in Drangelic Castle with all the Ruin Sentinels killed my desire to keep playing. I know I should probably just walk by it but gently caress I feel like such a bitch when I do. Mainly because I couldn't figure out how to open one of the doors in the back and I want to know what's back there drat it.

Now I fire up the game, get loving OWNED for 15 minutes and then quit.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

That loving room in Drangelic Castle with all the Ruin Sentinels killed my desire to keep playing. I know I should probably just walk by it but gently caress I feel like such a bitch when I do. Mainly because I couldn't figure out how to open one of the doors in the back and I want to know what's back there drat it.

Trying using a strike weapon, there's enough heavy armour enemies in DS2 who melt from strike damage that it's really worth keeping a Mace or something around just for them

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
You gotta kill something right next to the last empty soul golem door for it to absorb a soul to open.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

multijoe posted:

Trying using a strike weapon, there's enough heavy armour enemies in DS2 who melt from strike damage that it's really worth keeping a Mace or something around just for them

Hmmm, I hadn't considered that. Been rollin with +10 Estoc for a while that I haven't really thought about it.

Charles Bukowski posted:

You gotta kill something right next to the last empty soul golem door for it to absorb a soul to open.

:aaa:

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy

"SolidSnakesBandana" posted:

Nothing but pain exists in the farthest room. It hides an NPC who is part of a quest chain wherein you go through a series of gantlets and fight a really cool boss at the end.

So, my copy of DSII was stolen two summers ago right about when the first DLC released. My friend playing Bloodbourne made me kind of jealous, so I picked up SOTFS on PC. I'm just a little ways in, but it cannot be stressed how much of a better PC release this is than DS1. I'm on a 6 year-old PC and I can still run this at High settings with little in the way of hiccups, but DS1 throws a fit in certain areas. As far as design changes, I like that they locked up the hippo room in Things Betwixt. It should have been that way from the start so people didn't ram their heads against it and it gives a reason to explore the area later. I'm also a fan of some of the ambushes at the start of The Forrest of Fallen Giants. There is a corpse that reanimates behind the archer near the first bonfire that takes advantage of your sense of relief if you save the archer for last. In the vanilla version he was a pretty obvious trap. I also like the undead soldier that rushes you when you open the door to the second bonfire. Again, taking advantage of that sense of relief. Going forward, I hope to see other neat changes like these.

Iserlohn fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Feb 14, 2016

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
I'm of the opinion that you should do whatever maximizes entertainment for all parties involved with invasions. Being a memorable encounter is more important than winning.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

People lay a billion summon signs down around that room, you could always summon some help. No shame in it, the room is a slog if you open all the doors. Speaking of which, they open by killing an enemy near them. The floor collapse in the back-most room on the left side and it's worth going down to where that leads.

Obligatum VII fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Feb 14, 2016

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Iserlohn posted:

Nothing but pain exists in the farthest room. It hides an NPC who is part of a quest chain wherein you go through a series of gantlets and fight a really cool boss at the end.

Hey, the coolest armor in the game is also down there!

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

All I'm saying is that if you're a bellcop, show no mercy and help me kill mans.

Don't.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Yes, I do know about the hidden bonfire, but it doesn't change the fact that most of the DLC'S areas are just a slog, on par with NG+ road to the Executioner Chariot.

Most of the non-DLC areas give bonfires too often TBH.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

fool_of_sound posted:

Most of the non-DLC areas give bonfires too often TBH.

Again, the issue isn't the bonfires, its just that I find the Crown of the Sunken King's non boss enemies just annoying as tits to face and not fun to fight against, especially the infinite poise drakebloods whose only redeeming factor is that they fatroll.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Gotta love the grabs in this game. Just had a Mimicry dive at where I was 2 seconds ago, hit the column I wasn't next to anymore, and then fly 90-degrees to its left so it could kill me with its chewing/stomp animation.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

jeepers the lore

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Andrigaar posted:

Gotta love the grabs in this game. Just had a Mimicry dive at where I was 2 seconds ago, hit the column I wasn't next to anymore, and then fly 90-degrees to its left so it could kill me with its chewing/stomp animation.

I had one eat me while I was standing directly behind it and attacking while it was still in chest form. I can only assume that I was standing too close to it.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I was directly behind a mimic, attacked it, and it got me with the grab it does when you try to open it.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
The grab has a small area effect around it. If your close enough to hit it with a weapon you're probably close enough to get grabbed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

It's still really dumb and makes no sense.