Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Phlegmish posted:

Does he think this will sink Cruz with the Republican base I don't get it
As long as Cruz and Rubio continue to knife each other I'm happy.

Also I'm happy as long as Trump continues to clown on Jeb! and W.

Seriously :wtc: Jeb! defending Abu Ghraib, he needs to be humiliated as hard as possible after saying that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
Trump, and Rubio are now outright calling Ted Cruz a liar, while Ben Carson says it in a roundabout way.

Has a Presidential candidate ever been called a liar like this?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

babypolis posted:

its the magic of trump. he is whatever you want him to be.

They even did a fun study in which they showed Trump supporters videos of him taking opposite sides on the same issue or going on one of his famous verbal meltdowns.

The Trump supporters decided to support him despite seeing his more negative aspects.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

I can't think of any presidential candidate in history who was as broadly hated by his own party as Ted Cruz is. He is incredibly personally unlikable.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

TheTatteredKing posted:

Makes Cruz seem fake on more things?

Does he ever play up his Cuban background? I never got that impression. So who the gently caress cares if he speaks Spanish or not. He was born in Canada and only one of his parents is from Cuba, anyway.

On the other hand, if it hurts Cruz somehow, it's good.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I can't think of any presidential candidate in history who was as broadly hated by his own party as Ted Cruz is. He is incredibly personally unlikable.

http://nymag.com/scienceofus/2016/02/neurologist-on-what-bugs-him-about-ted-cruzs-face.html

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Trump's blowup at Cruz was so perfectly genuine. He's just like "Hold up, you're a loving piece of poo poo, dude. You're a nasty guy. NEXT".

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The whole hostile crowd made the debate the most hilarious one so far.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I think Trump is in this to win (not what I would have said a year ago). That said, he is a petty and vengeful gently caress. Look at how he attacks JEB! every chance he gets (over possibly a slight from a decade ago). He bashes JEB! every chance he gets even if it does not involve JEB! directly. Last night, there was a moment where Trump was going after Cruz (and I think Rubio) on lying or some other charge. Out of nowhere, he turns the anger at JEB! and just begins unloading. Even when fighting the others, you can tell that Trump is out to destroy JEB!

Now think of the anger and vengeance he would have for the RNC as a whole if they did not "treat him fairly". He turn his anger towards the RNC and whomever the nominee is. His people would follow (even his staff is filled with outsiders). Burning the entire down would benefit him and his "brand" a couple of ways:
1) As said above, it is a win situation for him no matter what. He will blame it on the RNC for screwing him over. It can also affect down ticket races if his followers blame all of the RNC for what happened (that would become a question to all R candidates).
2) if he is truly serious about being President, an independent run would give him 4 years (and a probably recession) to rebuild the RNC in his image. The RNC does not control the narrative when it comes to Trump (as this election shows) so Trump can lead the narrative that he is the prodigal son returning to make the RNC great again. Trump would benefit more from a Democrat President so he has an enemy to attack so the 3rd party run would benefit him in the long run.

I am still waiting for Trumplicans and Trumpocrats to be used in this election.

Bizarro Kanyon fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Feb 14, 2016

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

evilweasel posted:

I actually get the feeling that the 9/11 thing isn't planned and is sort of personal to Trump. I mean, he probably does know people who died in the attacks, and the "he kept us safe!!!!" line personally irritates him. There was no percentage in that line for Trump - it won't even play all that well with voters outside New York in the general.

yea it was the first time he's ever seemed genuinely angry to me. And it was for Bush did 9/11. fuckin awesome.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

evilweasel posted:

the democrats are going to fill scalia's seat and heller is going to be overturned

Heller will never be overturned, it's too edge-case of a case. The only thing it prevents is an outright ban on all guns kept in the home. Licensing, registration, storage requirements, number of guns owned limitations, type of gun regulations, etc, are all perfectly fine under Heller. For example, a law that limited firearm ownership to a single revolver kept in a mandatory gun safe and inspected yearly by federal gun inspectors uner a $10,000 annual licensing fee would arguably satisfy all the requirements of Heller; anything short of an outright ban is arguably allowable regulation.

SO I don't think Heller will be overturned. It'll just be limited to the point of irrelevancy.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

A Neurotic Jew posted:

yea it was the first time he's ever seemed genuinely angry to me. And it was for Bush did 9/11. fuckin awesome.
It also ties into Trump attacking Cruz for the "New York values" line. I think Trump really is genuinely proud as hell of being a New Yorker, and so anything or anyone that attacks New York has earned his full vengeance.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

Boosted_C5 posted:

Trump is a drat mastermind.

He set himself up SO GOOD for the general election last night. Aggressively attacking George W. Bush's record, defending supporting funding for Planned Parenthood services for women's health under heavy fire.

He is going to own the poo poo out of Hillary Clinton on foreign policy and the middle east and hang her not only by her poo poo record as S.O.S., but by burying her right along with the Bushes on the Iraq war and all the problems over there that sprung from it.

But the planned parenthood thing was even more important. Romney was a centrist moderate, he kicked Obama's teeth in in the economy debate, so what did the Democrats and the media do? They laughably, yet successfully, pivoted to women's health and painted Romney as somehow being an extremist. When Clinton tries that garbage on Trump, he can say he defended women's health and funding for PP under heavy attack from Bush and the Republcians, "go look at the tape."

Regarding Trump, even some of his more extreme positions he can easily pivot. The whole "let's build a wall to keep out the browns" talk can easily be pivoted to a "it'll stop cartels from bringing in drugs and illegal poo poo" dogwhistle.

And yeah, if it's Trump vs. Hillary, Hillary will probably lose. Good news is that Hillary ain't gonna be the nominee -- unless Bernie gets shot.

If it ends up being Trump vs. Bernie, Trump will also have much of the corporate media (not to mention the GOP establishment, chamber of commerce, etc.) behind him, framing things from right-wing perspectives and schilling/spinning for him. I'm under no illusion that it will be an easy fight.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Heller will never be overturned, it's too edge-case of a case. The only thing it prevents is an outright ban on all guns kept in the home. Licensing, registration, storage requirements, number of guns owned limitations, type of gun regulations, etc, are all perfectly fine under Heller. For example, a law that limited firearm ownership to a single revolver kept in a mandatory gun safe and inspected yearly by federal gun inspectors uner a $10,000 annual licensing fee would arguably satisfy all the requirements of Heller; anything short of an outright ban is arguably allowable regulation.

SO I don't think Heller will be overturned. It'll just be limited to the point of irrelevancy.
You don't need a case squarely on point to overrule Heller, all you need is to take a 2nd Amendment case. Why rule that a law satisfies Heller if you can just overturn it?

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Montasque posted:

In 2002 Errol Morris interviewed Donald Trump about Citizen Kane:

https://youtu.be/upC8pX3RY0A

The conclusion will not shock you.

I found this fascinating. Thanks for posting it.

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

Dahbadu posted:

Regarding Trump, even some of his more extreme positions he can easily pivot. The whole "let's build a wall to keep out the browns" talk can easily be pivoted to a "it'll stop cartels from bringing in drugs and illegal poo poo" dogwhistle.

And yeah, if it's Trump vs. Hillary, Hillary will probably lose. Good news is that Hillary ain't gonna be the nominee -- unless Bernie gets shot.

If it ends up being Trump vs. Bernie, Trump will also have much of the corporate media (not to mention the GOP establishment, chamber of commerce, etc.) behind him, framing things from right-wing perspectives and schilling/spinning for him. I'm under no illusion that it will be an easy fight.

I don't think it's really a dogwhistle when he specifically comes out and says that it will stop the cartels from bringing in heroin, like he did in the New Hampshire debate.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Top Bunk Wanker posted:

I don't think it's really a dogwhistle when he specifically comes out and says that it will stop the cartels from bringing in heroin, like he did in the New Hampshire debate.

I think you're proving my point.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Angry Trump phone call goodness:
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/donald-trump-doubles-attacks-bush-family/story?id=36929048

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

evilweasel posted:

You don't need a case squarely on point to overrule Heller, all you need is to take a 2nd Amendment case. Why rule that a law satisfies Heller if you can just overturn it?

Judges don't like to make rulings in excess of facts of the precise case in front of them. You'll very rarely see sweeping rulings from any Supreme Court justice. Broad rulings that go beyond the particular facts of the case are the ones that get overturned, and no judge likes to be overturned; by the time you get to the Supreme Court this is habit. This is especially true for highly political issues (like gun control); as I think you've pointed out before, Roberts doesn't like to *look* like he's making political decisions. (I'd also posit that this was one reason the Warren Court issued so many broad civil-rights era rulings -- Earl Warren's background was as a governor, not as a judge, and he didn't have this habit of restraint).

Heller was specifically written with that judicial tendency in mind and only covers the particular facts in it; it expressly says it only invalidates total bans on all guns kept in the home for personal defense, and all other regulation is still fine.

So instead of bald sentences like "this overturns Heller" what you'll see is opinions that render it an effective nullity but still technically don't "overturn" it. The road to gun control isn't overturning Heller and a subsequent national ban; the road to Heller is something following Miller, i.e., a NFA act for all firearms where you pay a thousand-dollar tax stamp per gun (which would still be perfectly fine under Heller).

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Montasque posted:

They gently caress him over at the convention then prepare for a third party run by Trump and a complete loss of faith in the Republican party from the base.

Convention is in July though, well past a lot of the independent filing deadlines. https://ballotpedia.org/Ballot_access_for_presidential_candidates#Requirements_for_independents

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’ve long held that the second amendment should only apply to the sorts of firearms available circa 1791, made using period‐appropriate tools.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
If Jeb somehow weasels out the nom, Trump 100% runs as an independent or 3rd party, regardless of other motivations. He may love winning, but vengeance er, trumps that.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

The GOP would be knowingly throwing away the race if they hosed over Trump while he had a majority of support in the party. One of the common themes with Trump supporters is that there is no second choice for them. It's go big or go home.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Platystemon posted:

I’ve long held that the second amendment should only apply to the sorts of firearms available circa 1791, made using period‐appropriate tools.

All I'm saying is that the NRA claims to be for second amendment rights, but I don't see them protecting our rights to carry swords, crossbows, and fancy knives.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Montasque posted:

In 2002 Errol Morris interviewed Donald Trump about Citizen Kane:

https://youtu.be/upC8pX3RY0A

The conclusion will not shock you.

Trump is like the ultimate tragicomedy.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Don't jump buddy

https://twitter.com/sabrinasiddiqui/status/698957064471777280

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Platystemon posted:

The problem there is that then you've set a precedent that would be used in 1st amendment cases (i.e., freedom of the press only applies to physical ink printer's presses) -- a point that's actually expressly made in the text of the Heller decision.

Constitutional law is a minefield and rulings on the 2nd could detonate in other amendments. One big way Heller was a good decision was that it mostly took the Constitutional argument off the table -- "ok, you have a right to keep a gun in the home, but the government has the right to regulate the poo poo out of that gun".

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Dahbadu posted:

I think you're proving my point.

What point would that be?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

OAquinas posted:

If Jeb somehow weasels out the nom, Trump 100% runs as an independent or 3rd party, regardless of other motivations. He may love winning, but vengeance er, trumps that.

Jeb! is not going to win

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O74XDI-o7xc

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

That's almost sad but gently caress him. Dude should have seen this coming. He had a cush gig and he threw it away for a pie in the sky shot at the white house.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

a cop posted:

The GOP would be knowingly throwing away the race if they hosed over Trump while he had a majority of support in the party. One of the common themes with Trump supporters is that there is no second choice for them. It's go big or go home.

Amen brother. The neoconservative & progressive thing just ain't working.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Here's a fun fact: the South Carolina Republican threshold to be allocated a convention delegate is 15%. Currently, that leaves only Trump, Cruz and Rubio (well almost) as viable according to the RCP average of polls.

Kasich alsobecomes viable ina few of them.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Can anyone think of a scenario that Jeb wins that doesn't involve current candidates dying or the press discovering multiple career-ending scandals? I can't.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Montasque posted:

Trump, and Rubio are now outright calling Ted Cruz a liar, while Ben Carson says it in a roundabout way.

Has a Presidential candidate ever been called a liar like this?

I remember when the president was

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnF4rQQktfs

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

evilweasel posted:

Can anyone think of a scenario that Jeb wins that doesn't involve current candidates dying or the press discovering multiple career-ending scandals? I can't.

It turns out Bin Laden's back, and there's only one Bush who can finish the job. THIS SUMMER..

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Jewel Repetition posted:

What point would that be?

Dog-whistle politics is political messaging employing coded language that appears to mean one thing to the general population but has an additional, different or more specific resonance for a targeted subgroup. Top Bunk Wanker's response explicates this -- to him the messaging authentically comes across as "let's keep out drugs."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_8E3ENrKrQ

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Betting market report: for SC, Trump dipped during the debate but then recovered and exceeded his old position, putting him at 82%. Nationally, not much has changed, except that Trump and Rubio are consolidating odds away from the rest of the candidates.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

evilweasel posted:

Trump wouldn't need to win to "win" by going third party: he would need to beat the Republican candidate. As long as he does that, it was the Republican who stole his nomination that threw the Presidency to the Democrats, not him.

I'm voting for this timeline.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

evilweasel posted:

It wouldn't require candidates dying, just like mass incapacitation. Comas would suffice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It wouldn't require candidates dying, just like mass incapacitation. Comas would suffice.

He's barely beating Carson though?

• Locked thread