Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

concise posted:

Put my new desk together tonight:

Good job. I now need a home office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dedian
Sep 2, 2011

concise posted:

Put my new desk together tonight:

Nice! Been thinking of something just like this look. How is the finish on the top? Maybe it'll depend on the particular top I get, but did you need to do any sanding/refinishing?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Nice. Think I'll do this next time, too.

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

dedian posted:

Nice! Been thinking of something just like this look. How is the finish on the top? Maybe it'll depend on the particular top I get, but did you need to do any sanding/refinishing?

I can feel some very slight roughness that some finer grit sandpaper would fix, but if you're lazy like I am right now its just fine as is right out of the box. Once I get the rest of the office put together a little better I plan to go over it with a sander and a couple coats of tung oil or something.

The Milkman posted:

Could you elaborate on how you mounted that? I went with a standard Bekant top when I put mine together, but that what my exact idea if I scuff it up enough or just want to upgrade.

The dimensions of the countertop are 74" x 25 5/8", and the main frame piece is 57 1/2" x 18 1/8". That means that a perfectly centered frame is (25 5/8 - 18 1/8) / 2 = 3 3/4" up from the narrow edge and (74 - 57 1/2) / 2 = 8 1/4" in from the long edge. Because the width of the legs is ~26" (i.e. 3/8" wider than the countertop), I offset the frame 1" up so that I would never trip on them.

Next, I measured 4 3/4" up and 8 1/4" in from an edge and marked a point on each side. This served as a way to align the frame at the spot I wanted it. Verify that the marks are in the right spot a by measuring and remeasuring a few times, then place the frame such that the corners line up with the marks. Verify by measuring and remeasuring a few times that everything is positioned correctly (8 1/4" from the short edges of the countertop, 4 3/4" from the front edge, and 2 3/4" from the rear edge). Now put a sharpie or awl into each of the 6 holes and mark where the hole is, being extremely careful not to move the frame.

Now get one of the plastic rivet doodads and find a drill bit that is slightly smaller than the full diameter (including the thread things) of part of the rivet that goes into the mount point. Next hold the rivet from the end of the drill bit and mark with painter's the depth of the rivet. This gives you a good indication of when to stop drilling. Drill out all six marks that you made.

Attach the legs if they aren't already, then put the frame approximately where it will go in the room. The countertop is fairly heavy so now is a good time to adjust the height, taking the depth of the top into account. Place the top on the frame, put a rivet in each of the holes, and pound them in with a rubber mallet or whatever is handy.

Without additional brackets the countertop won't be fully secured to the frame, but I'm skipping them since I won't be moving the desk around a bunch. Just don't lift the desk by the surface and it should be fine.

I wish I had something like this in college. Its sturdy as hell yet comes apart in minutes if you try. 6 rivet things, two bolts, and 4 pieces. Easy.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Don't use tung oil unless you're prepared to let it sit and cure for at least a week.. That goes for any finish really. Went through this with my bamboo desk I posted previously. Ending up going with arm r seal satin.

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

Google Butt posted:

Don't use tung oil unless you're prepared to let it sit and cure for at least a week.. That goes for any finish really. Went through this with my bamboo desk I posted previously. Ending up going with arm r seal satin.

Thanks for the heads up. Looks like I won't be doing anything with it for a while. The roughness has already mostly worn away where I rest my arms anyway.

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

I've been planning to build a similar desk and from the research I had done Waterlox seemed like a cool product.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014
I have posted this setup before, and whoever commented on the awkward monitor placement was right. :eng101:

I have therefore moved the monitor stand's base further to the right and I am now using both extension arms as well, which puts the laptop and monitor much closer together.

The best addition, however, was the lamp. It's an IKEA Tived lamp that can clamp to the table (just like the monitor stand, really). The best thing is that the base allows you to adjust the lamp's height, which gives it a lot of range and nice, flexible placement options. It's LED as well, so it's quite focused, bright and white; overall, quite a good solution for the desk which would be quite dark in the evening otherwise. It was also the only lamp they had that remotely suited my usecase and didn't look terrible. It also conveniently doubles as a reading light for the armchair next to the desk.

(Apologies once more for the atrocious picture quality. One day, I might actually have to replace my Nexus One. :sigh:)

dedian
Sep 2, 2011

concise posted:

I can feel some very slight roughness that some finer grit sandpaper would fix, but if you're lazy like I am right now its just fine as is right out of the box. Once I get the rest of the office put together a little better I plan to go over it with a sander and a couple coats of tung oil or something.

Thanks (and thanks for the extra instructions, too). Got this put together this weekend and you're right, it's Smooth Enough (TM). And so sturdy! I ended up using 2" lag bolts into the four corners + a few washers so as to not bust through the top. I definitely have to figure out better room lighting! (And cable haters, I will clean the cables up :))

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

Looks great, nice job.

nescience
Jan 24, 2011

h'okay

Pulling it right off fb, filters and all

edit: phone messed up bbcode

nescience fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Feb 4, 2016

Placid Marmot
Apr 28, 2013
Just finished making my desk. I used oak for the top and the legs but went for pine for the shelves. All traditional joinery (mortice and tenons, dados, lamination) aside from two bolts under the hidden monitor shelf (as a precaution).
Sorry about the lighting in the photos - it's half overcast daylight from my small window and half LED. The color in the last photo is closest to reality (on my screen, anyway).

Why, yes, that is an octagonal exposed tenon that you see there.

I sanded the desk surface to 2000 grit, added a couple of coats of linseed oil, then four coats of aerosol polyeurethane, despite the advice of everyone on the internet (too big an area to use an aerosol on, they said), but it's come out really nice. I filled the knots with epoxy; despite my best efforts, you can see some trapped air in some knots, but it actually looks ok like that imo.
I took the photos in the course of rearranging my room, which is why the desk looks lonely and the PC un-plugged-in.

sports
Sep 1, 2012
Purty cool. Does it rock at all?

Placid Marmot
Apr 28, 2013

sports posted:

Purty cool. Does it rock at all?

Yes and no: the legs are actually level but it does rock because of my mountainous floor. If you rotate or move the desk, you can find spots where it doesn't rock, it's just that those are not where I want the desk to be! I've put a piece of card under a rear leg and it's very stable. Using those under-furniture pads would solve the issue, but I'll give it a week or so to decide if I can tolerate the couple of mm of height that they would add.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Uxzuigal posted:

My throne.. (wife actualy lets me have this in the living room!) Got Dali Opticon 8's (speakers) for christmas from wife (no, she is not for sale, and she cannot be cloned), waiting for a NAD C275 to add in bridge mode with the NAD C375 Integrated amp here...

Room size: 25m2/270square feet.. Glass table being replaced next week, acoustic bass traps incoming. Listening position about 3m from speakers.

Edit: Added some room info. Picture is poo poo. Will post a new one when I get new table and acoustics stuff up.

Those speakers should be on top of the desk for the best imaging.

Uxzuigal
Jan 16, 2013

Chill Berserker Dude

Don Lapre posted:

Those speakers should be on top of the desk for the best imaging.

Old picture. :)
New Setup here:
http://i.imgur.com/3gLCCod.jpg

I did some messurements with speakers abit more in the front/table abit more back vs each other [From sweetspot, being around where the I stand taking picture] - little to no difference.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Just redid it as I needed to move the L arm and pc to fit the second monitor.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

ColHannibal posted:

Just redid it as I needed to move the L arm and pc to fit the second monitor.

How's that case? I've been eyeing it for a while, just haven't really needed a new case.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

kloa posted:

How's that case? I've been eyeing it for a while, just haven't really needed a new case.

To build in it its a joy, I think it needs a basement to hide the hard drive bays but I am concerned with heat generated from the drives themselves so I have not fabricated one yet. My only complaint is it requires the removal of 2 non captive screws to clean the front filter.

It also could use a filter on the PSU intake but my PSU hardly has its fan on so its not much of an issue.

In general these are nitpicks, but its a very solid case and I love the footprint( which is not much wider than Corsairs other cases), and the fact I can fit a 140mm radiator on the top.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
New case and new setup. Customer gave me a monitor arm. So nice being able to move this all over the place. Build in monitor speakers are surprisingly good.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

What keyboard and shortcut keypad is this?

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

HERAK posted:

What keyboard and shortcut keypad is this?

Hhkb with a mixed key set

Max keyboard falcon 8

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Pretty childish but hey, I'm still only 25, need to take advantage of that while I can. Any tips on resurfacing desks? I can't actually remember what specific wood this is, but it seems to be minimally treated, so it sucks up dust like crazy. I'm almost certain it's not what came with the Galant legs.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

ijyt posted:

Pretty childish but hey, I'm still only 25, need to take advantage of that while I can. Any tips on resurfacing desks? I can't actually remember what specific wood this is, but it seems to be minimally treated, so it sucks up dust like crazy. I'm almost certain it's not what came with the Galant legs.

Looks like some of ikeas butcher block countertop. Look for the oil or wax for butcher block countertops and it should bring it back.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

ijyt posted:

What monitor is that?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

frogbs posted:

What monitor is that?

ASUS PG348Q. I was worried it wouldn't live up to its ridiculous price tag but it was worth squeezing those pennies for a few months.

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

ijyt posted:

ASUS PG348Q. I was worried it wouldn't live up to its ridiculous price tag but it was worth squeezing those pennies for a few months.

Man I really need to look into widescreen monitors at some point. Did you used to use multiple monitors and switch to a single widescreen monitor? If so, how's the transition been?

Guess anyone could answer the question if they have experience with the switch.

bigmandan
Sep 11, 2001

lol internet
College Slice
Finally got my desk cleaned up. It still could use a bit of work though.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

bigmandan posted:

Finally got my desk cleaned up. It still could use a bit of work though.

What desk you have? That is the size I am wanting.

bigmandan
Sep 11, 2001

lol internet
College Slice

Djarum posted:

What desk you have? That is the size I am wanting.

I got that desk years ago from a former employer. I think he said it was from Ikea, but I could never find the product link for it. Not in the picture is a mounting bracket for a tower. It's "L" shaped and has a nylon strap to keep in it place. The bracket attaches to either leg on either side.

bigmandan fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Mar 1, 2016

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
It looks like a piece of their butcher block countertop with their modular desk systems legs.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

RhoA posted:

Man I really need to look into widescreen monitors at some point. Did you used to use multiple monitors and switch to a single widescreen monitor? If so, how's the transition been?

In a sense, I had two 20" 1680x1050 monitors, but for the last year I've only been using the one. When I first set it up I had a "holy poo poo what have I done" moment just because it looks so ridiculous compared to my teeny old monitor.

I think multi monitors still have their benefits, in the sense that it's easier to partition information but you can do that in a way on the ultrawide by running things windowed. I run Dota 2 windowed at 1080p and its funny how much extra space I have left over for browser windows or whatever. I keep maximising YouTube when I don't have too like a dummy, so it might take a few days more for me to adjust. Things like Light Room and Photoshop though are so much better to use when I don't have to micromanage what I have on screen, though for people that use those heavily and don't game as much I'd think a 4K would still be better.

But if I could have a do over and get the option of a triple monitor set up, I'd still get the ultrawide. A monitor at this resolution, with the curve, with no distracting bezels is definitely the winner in regards to video games. Power users/content creators may prefer multi-monitors, though that's not to say ultrawides are bad for it.

ijyt fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Mar 1, 2016

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

RhoA posted:

I had triple monitors and prefer my 21:9 every day. You can, in Windows 7+, use Windows Snap to put Windows evenly on each half, with very little learning curve.

Basically it's like having two monitors but without bezels, with more flexibility in on-screen element positioning, and a huge boon for gaming.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Which reminds me, the ASUS comes with some software that supposedly expands the snapping and let's you snap to quarters etc, though I've not tried it yet.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

ijyt posted:

Which reminds me, the ASUS comes with some software that supposedly expands the snapping and let's you snap to quarters etc, though I've not tried it yet.

There's an old program out there called winsplit revolution that did quarters and sixths, plus with the ability to define custom snapping areas. It's an abandoned project at this point so there may be something newer out there. You can download it from majorgeeks.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

Coredump posted:

There's an old program out there called winsplit revolution that did quarters and sixths, plus with the ability to define custom snapping areas. It's an abandoned project at this point so there may be something newer out there. You can download it from majorgeeks.

Windows 10 does quarters now and adjusting side by side windows works pretty well. I'm running dual monitors and once my second portrait one breaks i don't think I will be replacing it. I'd love to have the time and money to set up a few of short throw 4k projectors precisely lined up to give a huge ~21:9 display area.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
http://mizage.com/divvy/

Divvy's also available for Windows, if you're into granular window management. The trial never expires, just nags you to pay (you should pay, if you like it, dammit) every time it restarts from a reboot/shutdown. Works like a charm.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

HERAK posted:

Windows 10 does quarters now and adjusting side by side windows works pretty well. I'm running dual monitors and once my second portrait one breaks i don't think I will be replacing it. I'd love to have the time and money to set up a few of short throw 4k projectors precisely lined up to give a huge ~21:9 display area.

Oh? Maybe I'm just not doing it properly, but Windows 10 seems to behave like Windows 7 in that regard for me.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

ijyt posted:

Oh? Maybe I'm just not doing it properly, but Windows 10 seems to behave like Windows 7 in that regard for me.

Drag it to the corners or use Win key and diagonals instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

Thanks, that's sweet. I knew you could drag them to where you wanted, didn't realize you could also you the arrow keys to move them around as well.