Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bolow posted:

Go do the other story missions.

The Forge and the Codex Source ones

ty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Brainamp posted:

Just had the weirdest loving run in my ironman legend campaign. Second mission of the thing and it's a VIP extraction. It goes normally up until I reach the middle of the map. Pectoid and Trooper, the latter of which takes cover beside a gas pump. Idiot eats a grenade for his trouble and dies from the resulting fire. Pectoid dashes to the center of the inferno and raises the zombie up in the same tile he's in.

And then both of them get brought to one health once the gas pump itself explodes. Smart move, AI.

Later I'm fighting off the last pod of advent troops. One of my rookies gets left out of cover cause I needed him to murder another Pectoid, so I'm prepared for him to die. Not once but twice do the troopers still alive not shoot him dead, instead opting to run to another piece of cover and overwatch.

Not gonna question my fortune but come the gently caress on Advent.
My favorites when it comes to idiotic behavior have got to be Andromedons. I've seen one, in the second to last mission no less, happily waltz through some explosive terrain feature (I never got to see what it was), putting itself and the Archon accompanying it at little over half health before the pod even activated.
I also had an Andromedon Suit charge full speed ahead into a gas pump, instantly destroying itself.

There also was that one ADVENT Officer, who, after half my squad had spent a turn killing his Stun Lancer buddies and the other half had repeatedly whiffed against him, moved one square and went into overwatch. He was standing on a burning truck.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Serious Frolicking posted:

You don't get bodies on evac missions.

Why can I carry my teammates but not all these corpses!

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM

EvilSlug posted:

Linked below is ChristopherOdd dealing with his first retaliation on Legend. He lucks into a cliff start, but he explains a whole lot about how and why he approaches each situation the way he does. As he says early in the video, the key to retaliation missions is to get alien attention off the civvies and onto your squad quickly. His whole playthrough contains some good info and he's pretty entertaining, but this video in particular was specifically what you guys were looking for. Forget the occasional lucky shot. You can learn a lot about survival on Legend by learning why he approaches various situations the way he does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgQIXKM8qhQ

If you didn't mod your game and you've verified your files, try the "delete all saves" option that someone mentioned above. I'm assuming the game worked before? If not, send your error and specs to tech support at 2k games for assistance. If you modded your game with one of the umpteen dozen broken rear end mods that were hacked together in two days by 14 year olds, then your mods are likely what broke your game. Uninstall all of them, have steam re-verify your files, get back to playing.

See the above linked Legend retaliation mission for an example. The solution is to rapidly move to engage pods while trying to remain at least a tiny bit safe about it. When you aggro a pod on a retaliation mission, they're generally more worried about murdering you than they are about murdering civilians and it buys you more time. Once active, the pod will only kill a civilian if fleeing while heavily wounded or if attacking one of your dudes would be a super low chance to hit.

I've beaten a few retaliations on legend but it's not a repeatable thing with any kind of certainty. Some maps you're just not going to be able to do it.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I hit a stupid bug where my psi lab is permanently occupied by someone that died. 17 days to get a psi soldier now. Bullshit.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Just had my easiest retaliation on legend by far. Full mag weaponry (seriously get these ASAP) and all my guys have repeaters because the game has decided that's all the aliens carry around, spare repeaters. It's the first time berserkers have shown up and both of them got executed on the first turn :laffo:

Also a stun lancer in the last pod decided to straight up ditch his trooper buddy and start poking civilians. Both were at full health and I had dudes in half cover :shrug: It was the last pod on the map so I assume the AI forces one enemy to go on civ killing duty if there's nothing else that can do it. It's basically just as bad for them as the suicidal EXALT troops, but gently caress you if you're counting on the activation to keep the last 6 civilians alive.

dyzzy fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Feb 15, 2016

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

I just finished the game.

I like how they teased a terror from the deep style thing. I'm kind of hoping for an xcom apocalypse type game though. After all, we have a bunch of half-sectoid half-humans left on earth along with all the advanced robotics you'd need to make intelligent robots. It'd be cool if they brought back different soldier races like that.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM

dyzzy posted:

Just had my easiest retaliation on legend by far. Full mag weaponry (seriously get these ASAP) and all my guys have repeaters because the game has decided that's all the aliens carry around, spare repeaters. It's the first time berserkers have shown up and both of them got executed on the first turn :laffo:

Also a stun lancer in the last pod decided to straight up ditch his trooper buddy and start poking civilians. Both were at full health and I had dudes in half cover :shrug: It was the last pod on the map so I assume the AI forces one enemy to go on civ killing duty if there's nothing else that can do it. It's basically just as bad for them as the suicidal EXALT troops, but gently caress you if you're counting on the activation to keep the last 6 civilians alive.

I mean the first retaliation actually...the rest of them are totally doable. It's just that first one - the fourth mission - that is not repeatable. Some maps you literally can't win - even if you can kill all the aliens you're not going to get the civvies in time.

Cliff starts are the easy mode ones fortunately

But the penalty for losing the first retal isn't bad at all

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

oswald ownenstein posted:

I mean the first retaliation actually...the rest of them are totally doable. It's just that first one - the fourth mission - that is not repeatable. Some maps you literally can't win - even if you can kill all the aliens you're not going to get the civvies in time.

Cliff starts are the easy mode ones fortunately

But the penalty for losing the first retal isn't bad at all

Oh yeah right there with you on the first one. Easily goes south with one bad move.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
So I heard that you get a final shot to cool things down a little if your Doom maxes out. If I have pretty good map coverage, is it better to run the counter up and then knock it down with that mission, or should I be busting into facilities whenever they pop up?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Ugh as soon as the game told me to beef up before committing to the point of no return I got hit with lonely game syndrome.

Is it just me that gets this? When a single player/narrative game game stops giving you new scripted content and it suddenly feels like weirdly empty? It's when you start to see beyond the screen. It's depressing as gently caress.

ZuljinRaynor
Apr 25, 2010

NERD LICENSE IMMUNITY
It's just been revoked!
Finished the game (on Veteran). Pretty much stalled for like 5 in game months to get Psi maxed out and well... just cause I could I guess. Stuff kept popping up so I kept doing it.

Good stuff. I really liked all the changes... except maybe some of the aliens. Once again certain aliens pretty much disappear forever like in EU/EW. I do miss the little sectoids and I miss floaters. gently caress Archons.

Geoscape was a blast, but maybe it was kinda easy on veteran. I got some really nice hack rewards that gave me factory leads a few times and that let me control the Avatar clock really easily. But overall I really liked it. Only had one base defense, which was early on so it was super easy. The second time I had one the Avenger managed to evade no problems.

If the ending is a set up for TFTD reimagining, then I think that's a pretty good way of doing a remake of EU/EW's mechanics. They definitely learned some new things with XCOM 2, and having a new XCOM EU/EW with a better Geoscape would really be cool!

Steve2911 posted:

Ugh as soon as the game told me to beef up before committing to the point of no return I got hit with lonely game syndrome.

Is it just me that gets this? When a single player/narrative game game stops giving you new scripted content and it suddenly feels like weirdly empty? It's when you start to see beyond the screen. It's depressing as gently caress.

Not just you. :)

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Internet Kraken posted:

Here's a reason; you can kill people by blowing out the floor under them and having them faceplant into the ground.

Insta kills turrets to. Grenades are op

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Just had the most bullshit bug yet. Got the hack on a lamp post that gives you control of a random enemy for two turns.

The very next turn when I should have been able to take an action with my new meatbag, I lose the control and he flanks two people and shoots them both, killing them. With crits, of course.

Fix your game Jake.

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up
So I haven't gotten any mec corpses although I've killed them on 2 missions. I think it's because both times I had them under my control via hacking when I killed them. I'm guessing they have to be flagged hostile and not under your control for you to get a corpse?

If you hack them and then wait for the hack to wear off and then kill them will that work, or should I just not hack them at all. Also instead of controlling if I stun one and kill it while it is stunned will I get a corpse?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Destro posted:

So I haven't gotten any mec corpses although I've killed them on 2 missions. I think it's because both times I had them under my control via hacking when I killed them. I'm guessing they have to be flagged hostile and not under your control for you to get a corpse?

If you hack them and then wait for the hack to wear off and then kill them will that work, or should I just not hack them at all. Also instead of controlling if I stun one and kill it while it is stunned will I get a corpse?
Are the missions that you killed them on missions that you have to evac from? You don't get corpses in those missions.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
What type of missions where you on?

e: ^^ yeah that

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up

Ravenfood posted:

Are the missions that you killed them on missions that you have to evac from? You don't get corpses in those missions.

One might have been an evac, but the other one was a retaliation mission I know for sure. And I got all the corpses for that mission except for the Mec that I killed while it was under my control.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
I think I'm going to wait for the patch to drop before I do my next playthrough. I don't want to deal with another surprise two-round lancer or another unsalvagable game save.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

I got a grenadier named Jester. I couldn't help myself. I think my favorite thing is to customize soldiers after they get their sgt rank :allears:

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Remember the Ranger who got the Guardian skill?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nkd6ppDP6yI

:getin:

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
My experience with Mimic Beacons has always been that aliens ignore it once it dies, so the usefulness only lasts about as long as it does. Still great, but only about 1-2 attacks. I don't know how you guys get ultra beacons that vacuum up all the aliens in the map :mad:

I just lost an Ironman run on the mission where Andromedons are introduced. I thought I was pretty much set with tier 3 armor, but I used up too much time fighting the first one, and I wasn't expecting a second one to show up, much less to nail my entire team with acid as they were scrambling to evac. Shortly after, it's down to my sniper and the knocked out dark VIP, two squares from evac. He lightning handsed the MEC overwatching the point...it's a shame about the two other Codexes also on overwatch a floor below.

e: Also given that they're made from Faceless I'm disappointed that the mimic beacons aren't these fleshy, goopy horrible short-lived abominations of life.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

monster on a stick posted:

Remember the Ranger who got the Guardian skill?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nkd6ppDP6yI

:getin:

I think my record was 5, on a ranger with a Storm Gun and extended mag. He mowed through like 3 advent and dropped an Andromedon before running out of ammo.

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

winterwerefox posted:

I got a grenadier named Jester. I couldn't help myself.

please do

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

RoboCicero posted:

My experience with Mimic Beacons has always been that aliens ignore it once it dies

:psyduck:

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

RoboCicero posted:

My experience with Mimic Beacons has always been that aliens ignore it once it dies, so the usefulness only lasts about as long as it does. Still great, but only about 1-2 attacks. I don't know how you guys get ultra beacons that vacuum up all the aliens in the map :mad:

Put it in full cover. Give it an Aid Protocol, even, for the extra defense. Any enemy that can see the mimic will attack it, even if better shots are available, so the way to make your mimic beacon vacuum up every attack is to make it as hard to hit as possible.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

RoboCicero posted:

Same, but if you put it behind cover it'll often still soak up more than one or two attacks. I also think that an enemy that has destroyed a Beacon won't do anything else that turn, which rarely matters for obvious reasons but is helpful against Sectopods.

Still overpowered, basically.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I think they mixed up the "consumed on use" of the mimic beacon and the stim pack :v:

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
I now realize that I've been laboring under some pretty hilarious misconceptions about how exactly mimic beacons work.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Yelling things at the screen increases my enjoyment of this game by like tenfold. Due to a particularly weird string of expletives, my A team grenadier is now named Astrid "Asteroid" Farnsworth and has a cannon named Gene.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

They block the tile after they die though and count as friendly fire. :mad:

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Dang. Your dudes level sloooooow on Legendary.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
I've noticed the Mimic Beacons have a lot better defense or dodge or something compared to my soldiers because the number of times aliens have fired and missed when flanking it or tried to melee it and failed is incredible. I saw two mutons and even an Archon all fail to hit a Mimic Beacon.

The most pro-move to do with Mimic Beacons is to put them in a location where it entices aliens to move up further (incurring overwatches) in order to get closer to the beacon for a better flank.

RoboCicero posted:

e: Also given that they're made from Faceless I'm disappointed that the mimic beacons aren't these fleshy, goopy horrible short-lived abominations of life.
I always thought they should look similar to Real Dolls given the fact it's organic-ish rather than a being that manipulates light around it to blend in like a Predator 2.0 would be able to do. Hell, I can only imagine if Codices got a skill to blend in with civilians rather than a Faceless as a Dark Event.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Mod to replace the mimics with the decoys from MGSV

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Happy Valentine's Day!

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
A mod I want is to add some of the alien's powers to the psi-op academy after you autopsy the appropriate power wielder, Like codex psy-bombs and sectoid reanimation.

I want zombies so I can use them to soak up overwatch.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I got Serial on my Grenadier which works decently well. Hailstorm on my Ranger again, somehow. Shredder on my other Ranger. Still got loving deep cover out of all skills.

Running a snipey sniper this run. Serial's pretty decent, and Killzone is okay (mostly because my gun only has 3 shots).

Had a goddamn disaster of an Avenger's defense mission, lost like 4 guys because I didn't build turrets including my top Grenadier.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Legacyspy posted:

I don't understand how anyone on legendary iron man makes it through the first few missions with out losing any soldiers. As far as I can see you just have to be incredibly lucky for nothing to go wrong, you don't have items or abilities to control the battles yet.

In my first mission a soldier got mind controlled (that is fine, I have 2 flashbangs) then my grenadier got shot in full cover, panicked and shot and killed my mind controlled soldier.
My next mission I am one move away from the evac point with my squad, I run a combat-aided man through an over watch shot and to the evac point. The over watch shot misses and hits my evac point, putting a hole in it and causing it to re-spawn on the other side of my map. I lose the mission.

you will lose soldiers. just try to lose the least valuable ones and complete the objective. i actually am finding the strategic layer on legend easier for some reason (aliens seem to tech up very slowly) so if you get through a few with just minor losses you can coast through the mid-game pretty easily

Skippy McPants posted:

Dang. Your dudes level sloooooow on Legendary.

everything, as far as i can tell, takes twice as much time? im not really sure why they did that, it just feels like it was all multiplied by two

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

This was probably covered here already, but if you're ship gets shot down, there will be endless enemies during the escape section, but there's no point in farming them because you won't get any bodies, pickups or more than one level at a time.

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/321249422203937637/416607A57B3C502811D717CD661A0B2135116ADC/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

victrix posted:

I think they mixed up the "consumed on use" of the mimic beacon and the stim pack :v:

a one-time use soldier duplicate grenade would probably fit better. let you get an extra turn out, taunt, costs two faceless so you're only gonna get like 5-8 a campaign

VulgarandStupid posted:

This was probably covered here already, but if you're ship gets shot down, there will be endless enemies during the escape section, but there's no point in farming them because you won't get any bodies, pickups or more than one level at a time.

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/321249422203937637/416607A57B3C502811D717CD661A0B2135116ADC/

well thats just because you let some of them live