Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Or instead of playing the guessing game, install DiskUsage and see exactly what is taking up space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

I tried out a cleaning app. Nearly 3 gigs of trash files on my phone :captainpop:

Also hearthstone ballons in size with each update. Uninstalling and reinstall will make it smaller.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

That diskusage app is a neat tool! One other easy trick I forgot to mention is the built-in cache clearing function on newer versions of Android. In the settings app, go into the "storage" section and wait for it to load. Then tap on the "cached data" section and it will prompt you to delete the cached data for all apps. This is similar to what mrkillboy was talking about with Chrome, but it does it for all installed apps, and it won't clobber your settings or any actual saved data.

e: i have 869 MB of cached files on my phone for some reason :v:

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

2 gigs worth! Good lord.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
I use SDmaid one click clean, it's pretty smart. If you have access to a custom recovery you can just clean cache and davik cache and recompile everything as well.

I don't know if it's pro version only but you can find big files and such as well. I think I liked it better than ccleaner, but I haven't given that a shot lately.

The other tips seem solid as well.

I've been trying AICP builds instead of CM lately, though I think they share a lot of google open source code.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Jesus, I had over 3 gigs worth of cached crap!

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

6 gigs :stare:

It actually said 9 but after cleaning it definitely freed up 6.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I should probably get rid of a lot of my games, since they're taking up 7 GB and I'm looking to start using my phone for serious audio recording (not with the phone's mic, mind you, but my studio mics with the iRig Pre).

I can't wait to get it :allears:

Edit: Been playing GTA: Chinatown Wars (had played it on the DS years ago) and my god, are the on-foot controls terrible. :psyduck:

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Feb 15, 2016

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013

Turtlicious posted:

Is there a reccetear equivalent for android?

I never played Reccetear, but I've heard that Merchant is similar. I've been playing Merchant a bunch and have really been enjoying it.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

OP posted:

Idler/Anti-idler(you know you want to play a game for 60 seconds and then leave it alone for a few hours)

Tap Titans
Idle Oil Tycoon
Pocket Trains
Pocket Planes
Tiny Tower

If I'm loving Soda Dungeon, which of these games is best to move onto next? I'm getting a little annoyed that I can't auto-battle and then go do something else, then come back and check on the game again later.

Also is Big War Game still the best strategy game on the android phone, or are there better ones?

Should I get Sorcery 1 or 80 days?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
What's the difference between an apps AppData and it's cache? I run into the out-of-space thing a lot on my phone and delete the largest cache stuff with the greatest of trepidation, just because I don't want to wipe out one or the other only to find I've deleted all my progress in a game or something.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

MisterBibs posted:

What's the difference between an apps AppData and it's cache? I run into the out-of-space thing a lot on my phone and delete the largest cache stuff with the greatest of trepidation, just because I don't want to wipe out one or the other only to find I've deleted all my progress in a game or something.

Android app cache is ostensibly strictly temporary. You might be worried because some web apps and browsers on general-purpose computers implement their storage poorly; that's against the Android design spec.

A game that stores persistent data in cache is a game that isn't worth playing.

I would absolutely NOT clear out anything from the Android folder in user-space (and ideally not from on an SD card either), though. Apps get to play a lot looser with those.

Also a lot of Android phones have anemic storage space or did dumb things like use a separate partition for dalvik cache (old Galaxy S 1 phones; this was basically gone by 2012 in phones worth buying and certainly in anything that's reached 5.0 (read: mandatory ART)).

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Any recommendations on gamepad supported games? I bought an ipega 9025 on an impulse and it works great with emulators, I'm wondering if there are any good Android games I can play with it. Metroidvania/action platformers ideally but I'll take what I can get.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
There's a sequel to Metal Slug Defense out called Metal Slug Attack. Its seems to be pretty much the same game but with more obnoxious F2P stuff added in (random pulls, asynchronous PVP, daily challenges etc.) They've also taken away the ability to buy units with medals :argh:

mrkillboy fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Feb 15, 2016

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
What's a good timer-based game where you build a farm/town/business/whatever? I'm looking for something in the vein of Simpsons tapped out, or Farmville or whatever that isn't trash or terrible without IAP. Just something I can open up, play for ten minutes to start some construction or whatever, and put away.

I've played all of Nimblebits offerings, and Hay Day, and a few others I don't really recall.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Morpheus posted:

What's a good timer-based game where you build a farm/town/business/whatever? I'm looking for something in the vein of Simpsons tapped out, or Farmville or whatever that isn't trash or terrible without IAP. Just something I can open up, play for ten minutes to start some construction or whatever, and put away.

I've played all of Nimblebits offerings, and Hay Day, and a few others I don't really recall.

That Sea one, that's almost like Animal Crossing... I don't remember, since I uninstalled it, but I really don't like timed poo poo. If you're fine with that, you might love it.

Edit: SeaBeard.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

That Sea one, that's almost like Animal Crossing... I don't remember, since I uninstalled it, but I really don't like timed poo poo. If you're fine with that, you might love it.

I had a lot of fun with SeaBeard for 2-3 months and I was completely f2p. For whatever reason the is designed so start of the game is the worst part. Upgrade cost quickly ramp up to near max cost. You don't have a warehouse so inventory space is extremely limited. Once you get the warrior ally the game really opens up.

However they added more normal and premium income methods since I first started so it is not as bad. Spend your premium currency on becoming a pirate, then warehouse space. Don't use it on item creators, they don't make multiple items at a time. Also stuff in item creators don't disappear. You can keep a grog in the brewery for months if you wanted.

If you put 100 gold worth of items in the item recyclers then you have a 5% chance of getting an explosive items to clear stuff in your home town. I think at 500 gold you have a 5% chance for premium only equipment.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Morpheus posted:

I've been playing The Tribez and Castlez. It's a city builder game with timers. Quite playable without spending money too and you can skip your phone clock forward to speed them up. It also doesn't need a network connection which is a plus.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Shwqa posted:

I had a lot of fun with SeaBeard for 2-3 months and I was completely f2p. For whatever reason the is designed so start of the game is the worst part. Upgrade cost quickly ramp up to near max cost. You don't have a warehouse so inventory space is extremely limited. Once you get the warrior ally the game really opens up.

However they added more normal and premium income methods since I first started so it is not as bad. Spend your premium currency on becoming a pirate, then warehouse space. Don't use it on item creators, they don't make multiple items at a time. Also stuff in item creators don't disappear. You can keep a grog in the brewery for months if you wanted.

If you put 100 gold worth of items in the item recyclers then you have a 5% chance of getting an explosive items to clear stuff in your home town. I think at 500 gold you have a 5% chance for premium only equipment.

I played this for a bit a few months back but quickly got frustrated at how slow early game progression is. I stopped playing within a week because the ressource requirements are absurd.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Xtanstic posted:

I played this for a bit a few months back but quickly got frustrated at how slow early game progression is. I stopped playing within a week because the ressource requirements are absurd.

Yeah that starting out is badly designed. Upgrades basicslly always cost 1,000 to 2,000 gold, but you get more and more income, so it becomes less of a deal to upgrade. Also the story makes you believe you should get your manor upgraded early, but that is dumb. There is like 5-7 things that should be done, before doing that.

Back when I started the daily rewards, pirate cove, garbage pickup, and lighthouse weren't in effect yet. Those really up your income if you do them every day.

LegalPad
Oct 23, 2013

For people wondering about Country Life: Harvest Day, it's pretty awful and perhaps one of the worst phone-games I've downloaded in years.

The controls are sloppy and unresponsive. So something as simple as walking up to an item to interact with it can take 2 or 3 tries as you accidentally walk past it or end up facing a different direction.There is no way to turn your character that I know of, so when you miss an object, you have to back up and then try 'approaching' again from the right direction like you are some kind of farming projectile fired from a cannon.

Most of my (short) time in game was just struggling against the UI and controls. My biggest complain though is that the camera is permanently zoomed in to claustrophobic levels, making moving around your farm area difficult. It seriously feels like you are spying on your neighbor playing the game through a Galilean telescope. Maybe that was intended because I found myself using the planet-sized trees as navigational markers. To make matters worse, your portrait, wood_texture.jpg, takes up the entire upper-left corner of your screen. If you want to move in that direction, you have to tap one hundred thousand times in the space between your character and the overlay.

I don't know why we haven't seen a decent clone of a 1997 SNES title for android yet, but let me assure you that is still the case.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

mrkillboy posted:

There's a sequel to Metal Slug Defense out called Metal Slug Attack. Its seems to be pretty much the same game but with more obnoxious F2P stuff added in (random pulls, asynchronous PVP, daily challenges etc.) They've also taken away the ability to buy units with medals :argh:

Literally no reason to play this when The Battle Cats exists.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Len posted:

I've been playing The Tribez and Castlez. It's a city builder game with timers. Quite playable without spending money too and you can skip your phone clock forward to speed them up. It also doesn't need a network connection which is a plus.

I actually played that one a lot to the point where I beat the campaign (or came close, I don't quite remember). It was alright, but there was something about it I wasn't too happy with. I think the premium currency took forever to get enough of to do something with - like, you might get a few a day, then need a hundred to do anything worthwhile.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Morpheus posted:

I actually played that one a lot to the point where I beat the campaign (or came close, I don't quite remember). It was alright, but there was something about it I wasn't too happy with. I think the premium currency took forever to get enough of to do something with - like, you might get a few a day, then need a hundred to do anything worthwhile.

Yeah the premium currency is awful. I debated spending fun bux on it but the exchange rate is way too high for me to want to.

Edit: Any of the Kemco RPGs actually worth playing? Another Humble Bundle full of them is up.

Len fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Feb 15, 2016

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

LegalPad posted:

For people wondering about Country Life: Harvest Day, it's pretty awful and perhaps one of the worst phone-games I've downloaded in years.

Yeah, I forgot to make a follow-up to my initial post. It's not a very good game. It looks like it's only made by like three people, so maybe with time they will make the UI/camera/map-layout less crappy, but I'm probably not going to keep checking up on it.

e:

oh, but you don't have to keep tapping to move your character. you can just hold your finger down and you'll keep going in that direction. until, of course, you run into the invisible edge of some object's gigantic hitbox

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Crossposting from the iOS Games thread:

HerStuddMuffin posted:

If you enjoyed Soda Dungeon you should know that Mystery of Fortune is somewhat similar, but with the ability to customize the automatic fighting behavior of your dudes, and hilarious Engrish. And right now it's free*.

* It seems it's only free on iOS right now. It's $0.99 USD on Android.

HerStuddMuffin posted:

Solkanar512 posted:

This is a rather interesting looking game. Quick question though - with the programmable AI, are the five slot an order of actions or more of an if statement where it proceeds to the next action if the previous one isn't allowed for some reasons? How have you set your healer?

It's an if statement, and skills have a short cooldown so even if you have enough ether the characters won't spam their skills continuously. My healer is set up as:
Ether > 900 multi healing
Self < 90% healing
Friendly < 50% multi healing
Friendly < 90% healing
Self collect ether

The self collect line keeps the healer from wandering into the fray and does a lot for his survivability, more than anything else really. Overall I find that the healer is very weaksauce and I use fighters with self-healing abilities to complement that (soldier and temple knight right now) because those that don't have any die much earlier in dungeons.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
I've been having some fun with Deul (sic), a quickdraw shooting game with a nice art style.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Anyone familiar with any of the games in the newest Humble Bundle? I like JRPGs, but I've never heard of any of these games, and Googling doesn't help that much.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Or instead of playing the guessing game, install DiskUsage and see exactly what is taking up space.

Yea that's what I used. I found that Quest for Stuff was caching and not deleting the videos i has you watch to get clams. Also Podcast addict was not deleting finished podcasts, just saying it did.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Konstantin posted:

Anyone familiar with any of the games in the newest Humble Bundle? I like JRPGs, but I've never heard of any of these games, and Googling doesn't help that much.

Kemco makes middling-at-best JRPGs, really not worth the time imo.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
The Clash of Clans people have a new game out called Clash Royale, a card-based multiplayer lane defense game. Its currently in soft launch in Canada, Hong Kong, Australia, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Iceland, Finland and New Zealand, with a global release expected in March.

(also for anyone outside those countries Supercell knows that you're probably going to sideload the thing and buy some gems or something anyway, but luckily for you they seem totally cool with it)

mrkillboy fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Feb 16, 2016

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

That's cool of them. Almost makes me want to throw them some rupees or whatever money other places have.

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

mrkillboy posted:

The Clash of Clans people have a new game out called Clash Royale, a card-based multiplayer lane defense game. Its currently in soft launch in Canada, Hong Kong, Australia, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Iceland, Finland and New Zealand, with a global release expected in March.

(also for anyone outside those countries Supercell knows that you're probably going to sideload the thing and buy some gems or something anyway, but luckily for you they seem totally cool with it)

I'm not sure I like it. As doing PVP isn't so cool when opponent can spend cash to have more upgraded/better units then you.

I'm pretty sure this is the definition of pay to win.

EzEight
Jan 21, 2014
There's a youtuber who did made a video spending $450 on packs and it does look like this game is pay to win.

He comments that his cards are way.to good for his level and about "surprising people."

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Since the developer is cool with it, is it OK to ask for an APK link? :v:

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

EzEight posted:

There's a youtuber who did made a video spending $450 on packs and it does look like this game is pay to win.

He comments that his cards are way.to good for his level and about "surprising people."

Man whales are so fascinating. I can't even imagine throwing down $450 all at once on a video game. Let alone a lovely f2p. That is a brand new mattress. Or a kitchen aid mixer. Or whole new wardrobe.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

Shwqa posted:

Man whales are so fascinating. I can't even imagine throwing down $450 all at once on a video game. Let alone a lovely f2p. That is a brand new mattress. Or a kitchen aid mixer. Or whole new wardrobe.

It is also winning. And what's more important, winning or a kitchen-aid mixer?

Note: I'm not a whale in any game, and laugh at anyone who does whale.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Shwqa posted:

But if your product is playing the game and reviewing it, it's a business expense. This guy did it to make money on the intetnets.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Tormented posted:

I'm not sure I like it. As doing PVP isn't so cool when opponent can spend cash to have more upgraded/better units then you.

I'm pretty sure this is the definition of pay to win.

whats matchmaking, precious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine
Gotta give credit where due, it IS a really good game. There are many units with different strengths and weaknesses, spells, buildings etc. A lot of potential to mix and match stuff to produce fun combos. Plus it's really polished.

Too bad all that fun customization is behind paywalls.

What I'm saying here is that they are going to make millions. I'm uninstalling it.