Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
While I love Doflamingo, he's pure hatred for the world and disregard for nearly everyone not himself or family, die already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Shadow0 posted:

And some which are safe only if skipped (and then maybe returned to [I like the filler {for the most part <more brackets just because>}]).
I'll just say this: despite Zoro cutting up some metal thing in one of the filler episodes, his inability to cut metal is a part of plot points at some points after this. Just in case you get confused like I was. I think I'm vague enough that this is more of an anti-spoiler hopefully.
I don't think the filler contradicts the canon at any other point, unless someone else knows something?

Chopper eating rumble balls in quick succession during the filler parts of Davy Fight Back. Not actually a big deal, but it's there

Also, while not filler, an important change:You know, giving Hody Jones a motivation for his racism, which ruined the loving point of his character :wall:

"I recommend that quit watching the anime and switch to the manga after Sabody Archipelago, definitely after Impel Down."
~A person who doesn't like bad animation and pacing so far stretched that it ruins most of the jokes and makes awesome moments mediocre.

Julias fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Feb 15, 2016

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Julias posted:

Also, while not filler, an important change:You know, giving Hody Jones a motivation for his racism, which ruined the loving point of his character :wall:

I was unaware of this change. How much was changed?

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Shadow0 posted:

Juuust the bare minimum to ruin the entire character arc, and nothing more, IIRC.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Shadow0 posted:

In the Anime Hodi and his crew get kidnapped and are going to be sold into slavery before Arlong saves them.

In the Manga it's made clear humans never did anything to Hodi or his crew, they just grew up steeped in the hate for humans that permeated the district they grew up in. Making the whole thing about the horror of inherited hate instead of vengeance or actual retribution.

Mode 7 Samurai
Jan 9, 2001

SatansBestBuddy posted:

post updates

not, like, every episode, but every significant event at least

I will give a short summary of what I think so far, I am not THAT far in to the series yet in the grand scheme.

East Blue Saga - Obviously since it starts the whole story off, pretty good. I think that things got kind of slow around the middle when they pick up Usopp, but overall good. I think Loguetown was maybe my favorite part.

Alabasta Saga - I think it started off good but sort of slumped in a lot of spots. When we first meet Vivi was good but parts like Drum island i think were a little boring aside from meeting Chopper and the doctor lady whose name I cant remember. When they got to Alabasta was hit and miss, there was some good stuff but it felt a little too drawn out, but the ending was good.

Sky Island Saga - In attempt to cut down the watch time to get to current I am using a "no filler" episode guide so I skipped mostly to when they get to Jaya and just this morning watched the episode where they sail through the Heaven's Gate. So far I am liking this arc a lot.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Zark the Damned posted:

While you could skip the anime-exclusive filler I don't recommend this as most of it's decent.

Alpacacino <3

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Cancel the One Piece anime.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

F. Lobot posted:

Cancel the One Piece anime.

It's incredibly disappointing what Toei did to gently caress things up circa Marineford and since then. :sigh:

Enies Lobby really was the high water mark.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Zark the Damned posted:

While you could skip the anime-exclusive filler I don't recommend this as most of it's decent.

I remember the G-8 arc being really good. I want more filler arcs. :(

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Shadow0 posted:

I wrote a review of G8 and Ice Hunters in the manga thread

Silver2195 posted:

I just watched the One Piece filler arcs I hear are generally considered the best (G-8 and Ice Hunters). Previously the only OP fillers I'd seen were the Warship Island arc and some of the movies, which were not very good even for shonen filler, and the summaries I'd read of some of the other filler arcs weren't very promising either. G-8 and Ice Hunters were better than the other One Piece filler, but still not really good.

On the plus side, G-8 showed the Straw Hats actually doing their professions (Chopper treating patients, Sanji cooking, Usopp firing a cannon). It had a villain who was actually intelligent (Kuro was supposed to be this, and an SBS states that he's really smart, but that's not how he's actually written). It gave us a sense of the Marines as a subculture. The way the Straw Hats got away in the end was also clever. It broke the mold of the One Piece arc structure while still fitting into the manga's plot and setting. It didn't even have any of those little kids One Piece filler loves.

On the minus side, it felt like the Straw Hats were less violent than would normally be in character for them in order to make the plot work. Similarly, Jonathan is strangely easygoing for someone who's supposed to be on good terms with Akainu. These are quibbles, though. The more important issue is that it didn't quite feel tense enough, even when Luffy was stuck in a seastone net. I'm not sure how much of this is due to the Straw Hats' enemies explicitly going out of their way to capture them alive, how much to the fact that those enemies, for all their special equipment, were mostly generic Marines, and how much to the anime's odd reluctance to show characters really getting injured.

I think I subjectively enjoyed Ice Hunters more. It was a more traditional One Piece arc, where a group of enemies is introduced as the Straw Hats explore a new area, the enemies give the Straw Hats some trouble, they beat all the enemies except the main one, and then Luffy beats the main villain. It had two little kid characters, but they were both tolerable (and it felt like Lil was a child mainly to provide an antagonist Robin would have moral qualms about snapping the spine of, rather than the anime writers' usual weird misunderstanding of One Piece's escapist appeal). It indirectly touched on the question, "What would happen to Luffy if Zoro died?" and it's interesting to note that the implied answer (he'd experience genuine self-doubt for once, but it wouldn't break him in the long term) matches what actually happened in the manga when Ace died. Some of the villains had neat gimmicks, and Don Achino even gave Luffy a tense fight.

On the other hand, there was sometimes that strange sense (common in filler, not just for One Piece) that the protagonists are holding back for no particular reason. It takes place after Enies Lobby, but aside from Luffy using Gear 2 and Franky being a crew member, no one really does anything that they couldn't have done back in Skypeia. The anime's reluctance to show injuries also made it hard to tell when attacks were actually supposed to be accomplishing anything. The way Luffy won in the end was kind of bullshit; while just ignoring the pain should be useful against a heat power to a point, Achino was presented as a threat because he could physically melt something he touched entirely. (If you really want to rationalize it, maybe Luffy was unconsciously using Color of Armaments there? Was that even a thing in the manga when that arc was written?) Also, the magnetic twins are a good example of the anime writers' tendency to exaggerate the anything-can-happen aspect of the One Piece universe; odd abilities and phenomena in One Piece usually get some kind of explanation eventually.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Shadow0 posted:

The Ice Hunters arc we had before Thrill Bark was actually pretty decent as well. Strawhats lose their flag, they want to retrieve the flag and try and avoid Luffy finding out. Pretty simple stuff, makes sense, doesn't require good fight scenes and it had alot of funny moments.

That's all a One Piece filler arc has to be really. Keep it simple and focus on funny Strawhat interactions rather doing battles which will inevitably look bad because you can't use the budget on them.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I like the filler in early One Piece where they explore an ancient civilization at the bottom of a whirlpool and find a cursed gem in a booby trapped ruin that an undead pirate captain died trying to get after being literally backstabbed by his crew.

I just like old school pirate adventure One Piece. :shobon:

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Asuron posted:

The Ice Hunters arc we had before Thrill Bark was actually pretty decent as well. Strawhats lose their flag, they want to retrieve the flag and try and avoid Luffy finding out. Pretty simple stuff, makes sense, doesn't require good fight scenes and it had alot of funny moments.

That's all a One Piece filler arc has to be really. Keep it simple and focus on funny Strawhat interactions rather doing battles which will inevitably look bad because you can't use the budget on them.

I didn't like the Ice Hunters much at all. Mostly because I found the family mostly dumb and the Phoenix Pirates annoying.

Also it uses a Lava Fruit and a Phoenix Fruit as powers for filler characters, which puts it in conflict with the canon even more than that time they had Zoro cut an anchor chain back in East Blue.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Gyges posted:

I didn't like the Ice Hunters much at all. Mostly because I found the family mostly dumb and the Phoenix Pirates annoying.

Also it uses a Lava Fruit and a Phoenix Fruit as powers for filler characters, which puts it in conflict with the canon even more than that time they had Zoro cut an anchor chain back in East Blue.

Actually, it doesn't. Achino's power is heat, and Puzzle doesn't have a Devil Fruit.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Gyges posted:

It's the Heat Heat Fruit, a power designed by Oda himself and the others don't have DF powers

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Enies Lobby really was the high water mark.

When the hell was the last time you watched Enies Lobby because I remember even as it was airing that the pacing was poo poo.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Rewatching OP is great because you can set the pacing to your own preference by simply skipping staring and recaps.

Watching it as it airs is terrible.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Ryaomon posted:

When the hell was the last time you watched Enies Lobby because I remember even as it was airing that the pacing was poo poo.

It wasn't nearly as bad as it is now, but it was still pretty bad. The part when they jump over the bridge and inserted like 5+ episodes of crew backstory recaps, I believe INCLUDING the recently covered Robin's, was awful. But I still watched regularly up until about Punk Hazard, then I couldn't take it anymore.

I still love early One Piece though. I recently started playing Pirate Warriors 3 with a friend of mine and while the early missions hit nostalgia over-all, it mostly makes me fondly remember when I first watched the anime. The early arcs are still so great.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ryaomon posted:

I was just thinking of posting a "What was your favorite arc?" thing and declaring mine to probably be Enies Lobby. Pacing was, of course, some of the absolute worse. Especially with that drat bridge. Aside from that though, we got the Gears and everyone else's powerups. Many of the fights were amazing, especially Zoro's and Sanji's, and the fights with Blueno and Lucci. Lots of emotion. Lots of Robin. --- Pretty good once you distill it to the actual plot.

I also came to realize recently that everyone either had a Zoan fruit, some kind of relation to an animal (Fukkoru was an owl), or had some core move which was animal based (except maybe the kabuki guy?), even the sword was an animal. Also there was a pigeon, which I thought was going to play a bigger role. Maybe it was Zoan person or something I thought. Or some kind of magical something.

Shadow0 fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Feb 17, 2016

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

the only bad part of the enies lobby anime was the five episodes or so when chopper's voice actress was out for maternity leave and they found the most godawful substitute possible

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I've been watching this for the last 4-5 months or so and I'm on Dressrosa finally. Still a good 60ish episodes away from being caught up but I feel safe enough to post this and look at a few replies.

PROS
-This is the best anime I've ever watched
-I've cried like three times
-I never cry
- Marineford or Enies lobby are by far the best arcs.
- Or Fishman Island
- Franky owns, Chopper owns, Luffy owns, Buggy owns, tons of the side characters/villians own.
- The powers are amazing and so varied and unique. It's a nice change from most anime where everyone is either a sword dude or an energy shooting dude or magic dude or whatever. Reminds me a lot of Hunter X Hunter my previous favorite anime in that way.

CONS

-Usopp - Everyone said "he gets better." I listened. He pretty sweet as Sogeking during Enies lobby, and I liked that he stood up for the Merry even if he was batshit unreasonable about it. He went back to being poo poo pretty quick, but again everyone said after the timeskip he is cool again. He was neat on Fishman Island, not unbearable during Punk Hazard, but the second the poo poo gets real in Dressrosa he is right back to being a bitch. I hate him. I hate him so much, and I wish he would die and be replaced by the barrier-barrier fanboy or literally any random gently caress off the street.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I've been watching this for the last 4-5 months or so and I'm on Dressrosa finally. Still a good 60ish episodes away from being caught up but I feel safe enough to post this and look at a few replies.

PROS
-I never cry
- Or Fishman Island
- Franky owns, Chopper owns, Luffy owns, Buggy owns, tons of the side characters/villians own.
- The powers are amazing and so varied and unique. It's a nice change from most anime where everyone is either a sword dude or an energy shooting dude or magic dude or whatever. Reminds me a lot of Hunter X Hunter my previous favorite anime in that way.

CONS

-Usopp - Everyone said "he gets better." I listened. He pretty sweet as Sogeking during Enies lobby, and I liked that he stood up for the Merry even if he was batshit unreasonable about it. He went back to being poo poo pretty quick, but again everyone said after the timeskip he is cool again. He was neat on Fishman Island, not unbearable during Punk Hazard, but the second the poo poo gets real in Dressrosa he is right back to being a bitch. I hate him. I hate him so much, and I wish he would die and be replaced by the barrier-barrier fanboy or literally any random gently caress off the street.

He gets better again, but yeah, that was a low point for Usopp.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Oh my loving God he just left Robin to die. What a piece of filth. Like Luffy would ever forgive him.

EDIT: Oh he went back and was a bitch a bit more before doing something. Gonna go ahead and call this rest of this fight. Trebol is fine. Usopp freak the gently caress out and gets beat around for a bit. He then does something clever or has an accident while being a bitch that ends up saving the day either by knocking out Sugar and someone who was a human fights Trebol. Likely one of the gladiators that got turned into a toy.

Arrgytehpirate fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Feb 17, 2016

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Oh my loving God he just left Robin to die. What a piece of filth. Like Luffy would ever forgive him.
Haha this is great.

Usopp is fantastic. When he dons the mask as SogeKing, you can tell his mind is broken at that point. I do agree that after so many traumatic events you'd think he would have more courage. I think the anime plays Usopp the courage over and over again to death

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Arrgytehpirate posted:

EDIT: Oh he went back and was a bitch a bit more before doing something. Gonna go ahead and call this rest of this fight. Trebol is fine. Usopp freak the gently caress out and gets beat around for a bit. He then does something clever or has an accident while being a bitch that ends up saving the day either by knocking out Sugar and someone who was a human fights Trebol. Likely one of the gladiators that got turned into a toy.

Sugar's fruit made him forget Robin, fyi.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Sniper King is pretty cool, but he needs to man up and show his face in the new world.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Suspicious Lump posted:

Haha this is great.

Usopp is fantastic. When he dons the mask as SogeKing, you can tell his mind is broken at that point. I do agree that after so many traumatic events you'd think he would have more courage. I think the anime plays Usopp the courage over and over again to death

Usopp is frustrating as gently caress. I really didn't like him until Water 7/Ennis Lobby. Then he was OK to great through to the time skip. Then he starts off ok and quickly becomes the same old guy I didn't like from back before Sogeking. God Usopp was a good bit, but I've mostly disliked him since the time skip and really hated him during Dressrosa.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, this is a pretty important thing to remember that still makes it not that great but understandable. Plus, you haven't finished yet, Usopp redeems himself in a big way and that isn't hyperbole at all.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Can I just post an ellipsis to sum up how I feel about god Usopp?

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

It's okay, Usopp will redeem himself by dying alone on a desert island.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Arrgytehpirate posted:

PROS
-I never cry
- Or Fishman Island

CONS

Those are sooooome standards you've got there

You should watch better shows, the one piece anime is not very good. That you liked the Marineford War part of it is mindblowing to me, I feel like that was considered one of the most poorly received arcs compared to the manga version. There's a fully colored version of the manga on kissmanga now as well, I'd suggest that over the anime especially now

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Also usopp is a fantastic character and hating him over garbage characters like sanji is bad

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

Also usopp is a fantastic character and hating him over garbage characters like sanji is bad

Sanji is a good character who was given the short end of the stick for most of two arcs, which is now being rectified. I am sorry you don't understand this

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Sanji has fleeting moments of coolness followed by boring and occasionally offensive gimmicks, only now in the current manga arc within the last like five chapters has he even had a ghost of redemption for all the poo poo from the last like five years

I am sorry you don't understand this

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

Sanji has fleeting moments of coolness followed by boring and occasionally offensive gimmicks, only now in the current manga arc within the last like five chapters has he even had a ghost of redemption for all the poo poo from the last like five years

I am sorry you don't understand this

Zoro is that you???

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The monster trio is 2/3 monstrously boring

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Ryaomon posted:

I didn't watch it as it aired, I watched it all at once. Even then, the filler and pacing compared to present-day anime One Piece is like night and day. You can't argue against this.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It was still poo poo, it's just that it's somehow leagues worse now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Don't get me wrong the Marineford arc dragged but for raw emotional impact and the consequences are awesome. I never thought Luffy would quit or doubt and that surprised me about the character. Sanji has an annoying gimmick but he makes up for it by being a beast and fighting with Zoro in comedic fashion. Honestly if they did a spinoff with just Franky, Chopper, Brook, and Robin running around doing things I would not be upset.