Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Johnny Handsome is such a wild movie, between that and Angel Heart Rourke was working a weird vein for a while

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Johnny Handsome loving rules.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

morestuff posted:

Rourke was working a weird vein for a while

Well, heroin is a hell of a drug.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
The Dirties.

A movie I swore I'd hate so I didn't watch it, but I finally watched it and holy crap I loved it. I mean not in a "MAN I wish I shot up my school!" but in a "drat that shows how a couple of kids can end up straight up crazy enough to shoot up a school."

Or something.

Way better than I thought.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I really like the Mickey Rourke genre, but yeah, it all easily slips into this kind of mock tough-guy crap. That always seems like a misunderstanding of what makes him so interesting, which is a guy who's so masculine he's completely unselfconscious about appearing androgynous.
Well in Blunt Force Trauma he totes made out with a parrot while wearing some really ridiculous poo poo, and despite being totally unbelievable as the character he was, I cannot fathom anyone else more apropos. I just wish the smiley face vests would've been more in the front of the story outside of being a prop (I mean despite any damaged bulletproof vest being a liability, dude wears his through like 16+ shots over SEVERAL fights, even after the woman gives him both her vest and then a new vest..

It was a ridiculous movie and borders on being super stylish at times. The climax was kind of a low point but they played it right, and I think it holds w=up well from start to end. I truly believe that casting Mickey Rourke in the spot in the movie he was given - forgives a lot of other transgressions because hey it was all about working up to fightin mickey rourke in a feather boa while he smooches on a parrot. You can't fake that.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Feb 15, 2016

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I'm pretty sure that parrot is in his contract.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Watched Experimenter on Netflix the other night. It's very good and I'm surprised I had never heard of the study before. The second half kinda meanders but it's still highly recommended for sure.

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

precision posted:

Watched Experimenter on Netflix the other night. It's very good and I'm surprised I had never heard of the study before. The second half kinda meanders but it's still highly recommended for sure.

Really? I've never met anyone who doesn't know about the milligram studies and the long term affects it had on the test subjects. It's a fascinating thing to me. If you're interested in more about it, read the book "the learner" by chip kiddo.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

precision posted:

That movie has some fantastic cheap costuming, with Dennis Haysbert as Ossie Davis and Milgram's 70s outfit as particular standouts.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
I watched The Iran Job and it was really great. Can't recommend it enough. Remains fun even when it gets heavy, and has moments that are way too funny.

blood_dot_biz
Feb 24, 2013
I'd had it on my list forever and I finally got around to checking out Like Someone in Love last night on netflix. I really recommend it. Very slow paced, melancholy little movie but it had me entranced the entire time. That said, I'm not sure how sold I am on the ending. I was really digging how low-key everything was. The last 20 minutes ramped things up and then the final sequence seemed sorta needlessly dark? I dunno, curious to hear opinions from someone else who watched it.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

blood_dot_biz posted:

I'd had it on my list forever and I finally got around to checking out Like Someone in Love last night on netflix. I really recommend it. Very slow paced, melancholy little movie but it had me entranced the entire time. That said, I'm not sure how sold I am on the ending. I was really digging how low-key everything was. The last 20 minutes ramped things up and then the final sequence seemed sorta needlessly dark? I dunno, curious to hear opinions from someone else who watched it.
Here are a couple paragraph-long reviews pulled from the 'Rate the Latest' thread.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I just watched Bone Tomahawk on Prime, it's brutal and unforgiving in all the right ways. I hope Kurt Russell never stops.

blood_dot_biz
Feb 24, 2013

Coaaab posted:

Here are a couple paragraph-long reviews pulled from the 'Rate the Latest' thread.

Good stuff, thanks. Interesting perspective on the ending. I definitely feel like I want to watch the whole thing again. I got interrupted while watching the first time and to split my viewing into 2 parts that coincided almost perfectly with where things start getting more tense. I think a lot of my initial reaction to the ending stemmed from me sitting back down to watch the movie expecting the more subdued atmosphere from the first bit.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Has anyone watched Mad Dogs all the way through? I'm going into episode 6 tonight but not sure I want to continue. The pilot hit the ground running, but it's been steadily downhill since then.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Dirk Squarejaw posted:

Has anyone watched Mad Dogs all the way through? I'm going into episode 6 tonight but not sure I want to continue. The pilot hit the ground running, but it's been steadily downhill since then.

I'll largely restate my older post, but its like if someone wanted "the hangover" but more serious and a series. Its a remake of another show, toss in a romantic subplot and some more "wackiness" but its tonally all over the loving place and often its tangents are miss-able. It ends with a big thud of a cliffhanger, and don't be surprised that they get a second season. I enjoyed the first few episodes but the protagonists go down predictable routes and man do they start to just being unlikeable.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Yeah I finished Mad Dogs today - it was slightly more interesting than average and I'm not sure where it would go from the ending without it just being "Mad Dogs II." Ben Chaplin takes over Billy Zane's role/house, becomes some sort of CIA operative and the others go home.

It's worth watching occasionally on a spare computer while working or something, that's what I did.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I've been binging a lot of the Prime originals. Man in the High Castle is awesome. Mozart in the Jungle is hilarious. Mad Dogs is alright. If they can keep it up I could see them being a serious contender against Netflix in the original content department.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Anyone made it through James Franco goes back in time to kill JFK via Stephen King and JJ Abrams yet? I watched about half of the first episode last night and it seemed pretty dumb, but it is also getting pretty good reviews so I don't know if I should give it another whirl.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

NESguerilla posted:

Anyone made it through James Franco goes back in time to kill JFK via Stephen King and JJ Abrams yet? I watched about half of the first episode last night and it seemed pretty dumb, but it is also getting pretty good reviews so I don't know if I should give it another whirl.

They're not releasing them all at once so only the reviewers have gotten through all the episodes.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
That's a really cumbersome title, but James Franco really loves taking on really, really silly projects. I mean if you check out his IMDB he's got a movie calle d"Sausage Party" slated for release this year. I think he just really likes getting high and making stoner flicks with his hollwood bros.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I like when he just randomly played a corpse on CSI. Like, not before he was famous it was a just a few years ago.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

computer parts posted:

They're not releasing them all at once so only the reviewers have gotten through all the episodes.

Yeah I'm waiting until they're all out to give them a watch. gently caress arbitrarily stringing out episodes.

coyo7e posted:

That's a really cumbersome title, but James Franco really loves taking on really, really silly projects. I mean if you check out his IMDB he's got a movie called "Sausage Party" slated for release this year. I think he just really likes getting high and making stoner flicks with his hollwood bros.

I believe it's an animated film about anthropomorphic hot dogs with Seth Rogen.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
I watched Bone Tomahawk last night and I was disappointed with it. I liked the premise and I loved the actors, but it all felt half baked.

The performances were great, especially Kurt Russel, but they weren't given much to do. The premise was cool, and so was the mix of western and horror, but it didn't find anywhere interesting to take either. The bad guys first seemed like an interesting mystery, but turned out to be generic evil blank slates. The only time the movie came to life was during the violence, and that was like 2 minutes of an over 2 hour movie.

It seemed like a missed opportunity overall, good ideas that turned out to be one-note. After an hour and a half I was just waiting for it to end.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Bone Tomahawk needed a bigger budget. I was expecting a bigger payoff than a small dark cave and a few cages. I wanted something closer to the human sacrifice scenes in Apocalypto.

It was still drat good though and there are very few western horror movies so beggars can't be choosers.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
It wasn't damned good, it was tedious and boring with no payoff to the 'slow bur n'. Awful movie and a waste of talented people

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I don't really need a western to have a "payoff" usually, but the premise of Bone Tomahawk had me hoping for one. For the most part though I'm happy to just see some cool costumes and beautiful scenery, and it delivers there. Plus Kurt Russell.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Basebf555 posted:

Bone Tomahawk needed a bigger budget. I was expecting a bigger payoff than a small dark cave and a few cages. I wanted something closer to the human sacrifice scenes in Apocalypto.

It was still drat good though and there are very few western horror movies so beggars can't be choosers.

Not to get all "tactical realism" but I really liked the idea of the small, dying troglodyte tribe. Kind of like the last cloister of a lost culture that went mad as it collapsed on itself. It fits in with the late 1800's aesthetic of the closing frontier and squeezing the last bits of mysticism/myth out of the West. A giant cave complex filled with Anasazi-orcs or something nuts would have been way out of place.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

LogisticEarth posted:

Not to get all "tactical realism" but I really liked the idea of the small, dying troglodyte tribe. Kind of like the last cloister of a lost culture that went mad as it collapsed on itself. It fits in with the late 1800's aesthetic of the closing frontier and squeezing the last bits of mysticism/myth out of the West. A giant cave complex filled with Anasazi-orcs or something nuts would have been way out of place.

True, but it also would've been more interesting to watch.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

man, I just loved Bone Tomahawk. I'm more and more convinced it was the best western of the year.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
What are some streaming horror films that aren't great but are different and interesting enough to justify watching? I'm jonesing for some weird horror after watching The Manitou and The Keep on Prime.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

X-Ray Pecs posted:

What are some streaming horror films that aren't great but are different and interesting enough to justify watching? I'm jonesing for some weird horror after watching The Manitou and The Keep on Prime.

Dead Silence is on Netflix. The Midnight Swim is light on horror but you'd probably like it.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

X-Ray Pecs posted:

some on Netflix: American Mary, Black Death, The Fury, A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night, Hardware, The Legend of Hell House (this last one actually is great so may not qualify)

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Two that I've watched recently that I thought had enough merit to post about in this thread were Starry Eyes and Last Shift. Per your request, I would deem them as not great, but interesting enough to justify watching.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

fishtobaskets posted:

Two that I've watched recently that I thought had enough merit to post about in this thread were Starry Eyes and Last Shift. Per your request, I would deem them as not great, but interesting enough to justify watching.

I think those are two good recommendations. They are both flawed movies but there's enough there that I'd say their worth the time.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

some on Netflix: American Mary, Black Death, The Fury, A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night, Hardware, The Legend of Hell House (this last one actually is great so may not qualify)

Oh poo poo, The Fury is up on Netflix? I know what I'm doing later.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Some more:

Oculus, Phantoms, THE PROPHECY, The Relic, Thinner

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

fishtobaskets posted:

X-Ray Pecs posted:

We talking crazy Manitou or is there a newer one? The Visits the closest you will get to that and "the keep".

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

You got prime? Hellions is directed by the pontypool guy and it's a slice of goofy. Don't expect pontypool.

Edit: so far my Korean expedition on Netflix is a bust, Assassination is boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Some more:

Oculus, Phantoms, THE PROPHECY, The Relic, Thinner

All dead on recs. I still love the hogwash dogshit phantoms is.