Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Accordion Man posted:

As a headsup though, its a game more focused on melee weapons then guns. Guns control fine, but they are harder to find and attract runner zombies with the noise.

It is definitely fun if you don't care about that.

I wouldn't say that at all really.
Guns are definitely a very last resort or reserved for indoor areas or against volatiles.

I do agree that it's really not an FPS.

A good zombie shootin FPS would probably be... uh... I actually can't think of any off the top of my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Wolfenstein the Old Blood

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/283290/
Nosferatu is 90% off this week. It's cheap and awesome.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Convex posted:

Shadow of Chernobyl is the first one and also by far my favourite. It has a really dark and oppressive atmosphere that hasn't really been matched since. Like I say though, the COMPLETE mod is essential.

CoP is fun but I think playing it first would spoil your experience of the first one.

the Complete mods are lovely and obsolete, The Zone Reclamation Project is what you want for shadow of chernobyl

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

dmboogie posted:

lol at that game but Drakensang's also in the bundle, and I think I remember hearing good things about that one. How is it?

The first Drakensang is okay, but pretty rough in spots and requires you to have a fairly thorough knowledge of The Dark Eye (a stupidly complex German pen and paper rpg system.)

The sequels have streamlined it some for better gameplay.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

So XCOM 2 is getting everyone really excited, but I didn't have the money to spare so I picked up the first in the sale. I believe EW just adds stuff to the campaign rather than being any kind of extra "story" content, right? The question is, am I right in thinking I should just jump straight into EW or will I be missing stuff, and will that fudge with the difficulty or anything too much? I've not played an XCOM or really anything similar before, so I want to make sure I'm not cocking up my first experience by making it too difficult or anything.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Play EW first.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

MooCowlian posted:

So XCOM 2 is getting everyone really excited, but I didn't have the money to spare so I picked up the first in the sale. I believe EW just adds stuff to the campaign rather than being any kind of extra "story" content, right? The question is, am I right in thinking I should just jump straight into EW or will I be missing stuff, and will that fudge with the difficulty or anything too much? I've not played an XCOM or really anything similar before, so I want to make sure I'm not cocking up my first experience by making it too difficult or anything.

You'll want to jump right in with EW. It adds an enemy human faction to mix things up a bit, and lets you give your soldiers gene mods or turn them into big punchy mechs.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Cool, EW it is, thanks.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

MooCowlian posted:

It adds more gameplay elements and you'd be better off doing a playthrough of EU first, assuming you want to do more than a single campaign. Worth keeping in mind that normal and below has assists in-play (i.e. your aim will improve until you hit, enemies aim will decrease on-hit until they miss, max # of enemies active at a time, etc) if you ever plan on going to a higher difficulty.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Not sure if I'll be going back or even if I'll finish it really. It's not generally my sort of game, but I've been watching some streams of the sequel and it looked fun so I thought I'd try the first one for £5 or whatever it was last week.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
I'm looking for some turn based strategy recommendations. I pick up the odd game in the genre now and then, Invisible Inc, Banner Saga, Chroma Squad, etc. But none of them scratch the itch I've had for a long time now. I'm looking for a squad based turn based game with minimal story or plot. I just want to have a bunch of dudes, attack some place, upgrade their gear/stats and then move onto the next mission. Nothing too RPG heavy, but higher on the tactical elements of the game. I really wish Wasteland 2 had an "action" mode, where I didn't have to go through all the RPG shite. I prefer modern day settings over Sci-Fi and Fantasy. I enjoyed X-Com, but I'd rather not throw down $80CAD on X-Com 2 yet.

I really really wish Mordheim: City of the Damned wasn't such a clunky piece of poo poo. BEDLAM looked great, but holy poo poo those reviews.

midge fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Feb 15, 2016

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Expedition: Conquestador or Reknowned Explorers sound close to what you want.

Both have some RPG bits, but they're pretty minimal compared to most squad based games.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

midge posted:

I'm looking for some turn based strategy recommendations. I pick up the odd game in the genre now and then, Invisible Inc, Banner Saga, Chroma Squad, etc. But none of them scratch the itch I've had for a long time now. I'm looking for a squad based turn based game with minimal story or plot. I just want to have a bunch of dudes, attack some place, upgrade their gear/stats and then move onto the next mission. Nothing too RPG heavy, but higher on the tactical elements of the game. I really wish Wasteland 2 had an "action" mode, where I didn't have to go through all the RPG shite. I prefer modern day settings over Sci-Fi and Fantasy. I enjoyed X-Com, but I'd rather not throw down $80CAD on X-Com 2 yet.

I really really wish Mordheim: City of the Damned wasn't such a clunky piece of poo poo. BEDLAM looked great, but holy poo poo those reviews.

Frozen Synapse is my favorite tactics game on PC. It doesn't have any progression in it though, just a handful of unit types. It's on sale pretty regularly, you just missed getting it and its sort of sequel for a buck on the humble store last week.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.

Convex posted:

STALKER 1 and 3 are super fun and atmospheric, although you want the COMPLETE mod for the first one to fix a load of terrible bugs. Really highly recommended, a bit like Fallout 3's unhinged russian uncle that want you to drink his weird smelling vodka and go rambling in the middle of the night.
EDIT: beaten horribly by ShadowMar in this post.

Just FYI, you don't want COMPLETE for Stalker 1. It's pretty outdated at this point. You want the Zone Reclamation Project instead. It does everything that COMPLETE aimed to do, but better and more up to date. Just great tweaks and fixed to the original game and mechanics, nothing crazy. It's like they polished up and finished COMPLETE and did a couple extra things. Pretty great.

crestfallen fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Feb 16, 2016

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

crestfallen posted:

EDIT: beaten horribly by ShadowMar in this post.

Just FYI, you don't want COMPLETE for Stalker 1. It's pretty outdated at this point. You want the Zone Reclamation Project instead. It does everything that COMPLETE aimed to do, but better and more up to date. Just great tweaks and fixed to the original game and mechanics, nothing crazy. It's like they polished up and finished COMPLETE and did a couple extra things. Pretty great.

Thanks both, I had no idea there was a better mod out there. Will have to give it a shot next time I replay it.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Convex posted:

Thanks both, I had no idea there was a better mod out there. Will have to give it a shot next time I replay it.

it's also really customizable so if you don't like something they added you can just disable it

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
yay the best visual novel is on steam

http://store.steampowered.com/app/435300/?snr=1_4_4__106

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

WE KNOW THE DEVIL is a story about everyone who made you cry at summer camp. It’s about missing your Sailor Moon VHS tapes. It’s about how being irresponsible is contagious. It’s about knowing that in a group of three, two of you will be closer than the other.

And it’s about being weird and queer and wrong and hoping against hope no one will find out when the actual, literal devil comes for you.

“If We Know the Devil is trying to say anything, it's that you deserve to love yourself. There’s nothing wrong with you.”
Giant Bomb

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Endorph posted:

WE KNOW THE DEVIL is a story about everyone who made you cry at summer camp. It’s about missing your Sailor Moon VHS tapes. It’s about how being irresponsible is contagious. It’s about knowing that in a group of three, two of you will be closer than the other.

And it’s about being weird and queer and wrong and hoping against hope no one will find out when the actual, literal devil comes for you.

“If We Know the Devil is trying to say anything, it's that you deserve to love yourself. There’s nothing wrong with you.”
Giant Bomb
Finally, my first real lp

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Boy, do I ever hope 90s nostalgia runs its course soon.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mordja posted:

it'll be replaced by 2000s nostalgia

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Endorph posted:

it'll be replaced by 2000s nostalgia

panopticon dystopias are cool settings for video games though

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Mordja posted:

The 90s actually had good games and television so I'm pretty OK with it after 15 years of people pretending that lovely animated toy commercials and broken unbalanced NES games were worth celebrating.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Sleeveless posted:

The 90s actually had good games and television so I'm pretty OK with it after 15 years of people pretending that lovely animated toy commercials and broken unbalanced NES games were worth celebrating.

when people said that michael bay transformers was some betrayal of their childhood it was hilarious

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

michael bay transformers didn't have the weird al robot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzjaoKSAXhA

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Pre-orders for Dark Souls 3 are now up. The discount is hilarious.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Sleeveless posted:

Oh, I'm not saying that 80s poo poo is much better. Look towards the future, gamers.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Sleeveless posted:

I'm sorry, but the 80s was the height of TV perfection. It gave us Miami Vice. :colbert:

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

started playing age of wonders 3. is there any way to see actual skills ranges beyond like "medium?" i keep finding myself moving units who i think will be able to hit from their new spot but can't and also moving into enemy attack range without realizing

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I'm sorry, but the 80s was the height of TV perfection. It gave us Miami Vice. :colbert:

Actually, Columbo had been out for some time before the 80's. Is there a Columbo video game?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Awesome! posted:

started playing age of wonders 3. is there any way to see actual skills ranges beyond like "medium?" i keep finding myself moving units who i think will be able to hit from their new spot but can't and also moving into enemy attack range without realizing

hover your mouse cursor over your guy

might be an option you have to turn on somewhere

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Awesome! posted:

If you select the skill itself (circles in the top middle) it will show you the range from your current spot, the solid circles show effective range, dashed circles are within max range but outside of effective range. You can select enemies and do the same with them. But there isn't a way to have it show you the range from your new location before you move.

Unfortunately you gotta count hexes a lot of the time with movement. Ranges I believe are 3/5/7/9 for Short/Medium/Long/Extreme though, but there are bonuses that can extend that.

Do also remember that certain units (like artillery) need all 3 action points to fire, so you only have to count from the green hexes. And multi-shot ranged units attack once per action point, so if they move into yellow/orange they'll only shoot twice or once.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Speaking of AoW3, is there any way to make the units composed of multiple dudes one unit, or not drop off dudes when they're hit? Something about a single spearguy doing as much damage as a full stack of them bugs me

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

Infinity Gaia posted:

Pre-orders for Dark Souls 3 are now up. The discount is hilarious.

Maybe the loyalty discount has not activated yet.

Not a terrible price, 692 MXN for the game and the season pass, when the base game on consoles will cost here around 1200, or 1300 alone.
Yeah. I am buying this soon, but it is an underwhelming discount.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

If you select the skill itself (circles in the top middle) it will show you the range from your current spot, the solid circles show effective range, dashed circles are within max range but outside of effective range. You can select enemies and do the same with them. But there isn't a way to have it show you the range from your new location before you move.

Unfortunately you gotta count hexes a lot of the time with movement. Ranges I believe are 3/5/7/9 for Short/Medium/Long/Extreme though, but there are bonuses that can extend that.

Do also remember that certain units (like artillery) need all 3 action points to fire, so you only have to count from the green hexes. And multi-shot ranged units attack once per action point, so if they move into yellow/orange they'll only shoot twice or once.
ok thanks

RentACop posted:

Speaking of AoW3, is there any way to make the units composed of multiple dudes one unit, or not drop off dudes when they're hit? Something about a single spearguy doing as much damage as a full stack of them bugs me
i saw an option to not have dudes drop off i think

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Accordion Man posted:

As a headsup though, its a game more focused on melee weapons then guns. Guns control fine, but they are harder to find and attract runner zombies with the noise.

It is definitely fun if you don't care about that.

The good news is that shooting runner zombies kills them faster than new ones are attracted by the noise. In fact, if you're playing on Hard, you probably want to kill runner zombies as fast as possible before they get close enough to hit you. A pack of them can kill you pretty fast on Hard. They also tend to stay back and wait for a chance to attack if you try to hit them in melee.

Additionally, the game has Bows and Crossbows, which are roughly the equivalent of a silenced pistol and silenced single-shot sniper rifle. Because they make no noise, they won't attract runners while letting you stay out of reach of the zombies. As a bonus, you can retrieve the shots you fire - those that you can find at least.

Dying Light's expansion (now included in new purchases) also has more of a focus on combat with guns. I've been basically using only guns and the bow/crossbow in the expansion. There are so many exploding jerks which attract enemies that staying silent is a bit futile. I've also successfully used guns to clear out Volatile nests. Guns are quite useful despite the noise.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Feb 16, 2016

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
Eh not sure why there would be any loyalty discount for darksouls 3, its more understandable when its either a remaster or version with all dlc.

Well atleast its at a sane price at 66.50 cdn.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

quote:

MINIMUM:
OS: Windows 7 SP1 64bit, Windows 8.1 64bit Windows 10 64bit
Processor: Intel Core i5 2500 3.1 GHz / AMD® A8 3870 3,6 Ghz
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce GTX 465 / ATI Radeon TM HD 6870
DirectX: Version 11
Network: Broadband Internet connection
Storage: 50 GB available space
Sound Card: DirectX 11 sound device
I'm basically illiterate when it comes to computer specs, does it seem like Dark Souls 3 is gonna be especially demanding?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
http://store.steampowered.com/app/336210/

GTA:O is gonna have some competition.

• Locked thread