Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I wouldn't be surprised if the Self Surgery fad was down to people imitating stunts on TV shows and movies (like Arrow) where a character will just dig a bullet out of their shoulder with a knife and stitch it with a piece of bent wire, trying (and failing) to look bad-rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

BioEnchanted posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if the Self Surgery fad was down to people imitating stunts on TV shows and movies (like Arrow) where a character will just dig a bullet out of their shoulder with a knife and stitch it with a piece of bent wire, trying (and failing) to look bad-rear end.

I think it's more that the body-mod community is insane and self destructive

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Choco1980 posted:

Oh boy! Cracked's run another Life Hack Photoplasty today!

Who the gently caress has a working refrigerator from the 1980s?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

My grandparents.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

My grandparents.

That's kinda impressive. Is it their main fridge or is it in the basement or garage as a spare for beer and nightcrawlers, etc.?

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

lmao at the collections one. that was probably true until about 2010 at the latest. I spend literally all of my work day preparing documents to take collections accounts to court. This includes the entire account history, from the application to chargeoff notice.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

BioEnchanted posted:

Turns out you need pliers or a scalpel! :nms:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leiOab1d0hw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IE7dSySjOwY

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Karma Monkey posted:

That's kinda impressive. Is it their main fridge or is it in the basement or garage as a spare for beer and nightcrawlers, etc.?

They keep it in the garage as a spare for pickles.

(My grandfather loves pickles, he buys restaurant supply barrels and keeps them in there.)

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012

Choco1980 posted:

lol just use one credit card to pay off the other in an endless ouroboros of bad credit until you die! Nothing could possibly go wrong from idiots taking financial advice from a 20-word jpeg provided by an anonymous rear end in a top hat on a "comedy" website. Life HACK'd

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Choco1980 posted:

Almost all of those are just "Hey, this advertised service? Use it!"

Except for that Freeman-on-the-Land style collection agency advice, lol.

bradzilla posted:

lmao at the collections one. that was probably true until about 2010 at the latest. I spend literally all of my work day preparing documents to take collections accounts to court. This includes the entire account history, from the application to chargeoff notice.

But do those accounts have a gold fringed flag?

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

They keep it in the garage as a spare for pickles.

(My grandfather loves pickles, he buys restaurant supply barrels and keeps them in there.)

Daaawwww, my grampa did the same thing. Old people sure love their pickles. :3: (He also kept RC Cola and fishing bait in it.)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

speshl guy posted:

lol just use one credit card to pay off the other in an endless ouroboros of bad credit until you die! Nothing could possibly go wrong from idiots taking financial advice from a 20-word jpeg provided by an anonymous rear end in a top hat on a "comedy" website. Life HACK'd

A balance transfer is a little different than that.

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

A balance transfer is a little different than that.

Right, I'm questioning who the intended target of this life hack was. If you have a ton of credit card debt and are just now learning about balance transfers from a photoshop life hack article, chances are you're not going to do it right, or even be capable of qualifying for a low-interest card.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Wow, this whole time I've been having Amazon deliver poo poo to my house for free when I could have been driving across town and paying sales tax to get it from Walmart.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Choco1980 posted:

#3 has fully internalized clickbait principles.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Karma Monkey posted:

Daaawwww, my grampa did the same thing. Old people sure love their pickles. :3: (He also kept RC Cola and fishing bait in it.)

That's because pickles are the poo poo.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Save on groceries by buying food and then eating it!

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Found a few great ones on Cracked that might get someone killed.

:cripes: South. Halfway between the hour hand and the 12 is south, Cracked.

(amid falling debris, abandons the doorway in a load-bearing wall to dive under a card table)

:psyduck: What does that even MEAN?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

What I want to know is how they even theoretically qualify as humourous and/or photoshops. Are they supposed to be intentionally bad, and that's the humour? :psyduck:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Powered Descent posted:

(amid falling debris, abandons the doorway in a load-bearing wall to dive under a card table)
That's actually the USGS guidance. Modern structures have load bearing beams or pillars and your most likely doorway in a load bearing wall is going to be the one going outside. Getting under furniture is recommended because even if it crumples you will hopefully be in an air pocket with the majority of your limbs intact.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

AlphaKretin posted:

What I want to know is how they even theoretically qualify as humourous and/or photoshops. Are they supposed to be intentionally bad, and that's the humour? :psyduck:

yes

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Karma Monkey posted:

Who the gently caress has a working refrigerator from the 1980s?

People who rent

ChickenOfTomorrow has a new favorite as of 22:48 on Jan 21, 2017

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

bradzilla posted:

Yeah, I used to work for a collections agency, and while some of our accounts did just come over as a spreadsheet, that was just for the initial contact and requesting payment. If there was even the slightest hint of court, we'd be demanding the invoices from the client before moving on with it.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Got too many pesky keycards? Just microchip yourself!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7DxVWhFLI6E

Not sure if cool or really really dumb. Probably both.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Major retailers,especially Walmart and Target, will tell you to gently caress straight off if you ask to get something matched to a price on your phone. The only thing they match is a paper ad from another store that you have the right date/amount of items/etc. You even have to have the entire set of ads, front to back. Like, if a cashier tries that the chances of them getting in trouble are huge.

I love the "family gives you gift cards instead of trusting you with cash" one. Like, hah your family knows you're a lovely druggie or drunk or something, but they can't quite justify not giving you Christmas gifts. Yet.

Scathach has a new favorite as of 00:02 on Feb 16, 2016

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

on the topic of price matching: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40YBTM1C70w&hd=1

FAROOQ
Aug 20, 2014

by Smythe

Powered Descent posted:

:cripes: South. Halfway between the hour hand and the 12 is south, Cracked.

What about the other half way point?

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

zedprime posted:

That's actually the USGS guidance. Modern structures have load bearing beams or pillars and your most likely doorway in a load bearing wall is going to be the one going outside. Getting under furniture is recommended because even if it crumples you will hopefully be in an air pocket with the majority of your limbs intact.

Our local public access station did a piece on this a couple years ago. Apparently standing in a doorway is 19th century advice for people living in adobe homes. If you don't live in a 19th century adobe home, you should probably duck under the table. Or just stay in bed. :shrug:

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Powered Descent posted:

Myth busted, get under the table.

https://youtu.be/nO9wc1bkM5I

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

If you can buy it cheaper somewhere else, why not just buy it at the cheaper place rather than trying to get the more expensive place to price-match? :confused:

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Scathach posted:

Major retailers,especially Walmart and Target, will tell you to gently caress straight off if you ask to get something matched to a price on your phone. The only thing they match is a paper ad from another store that you have the right date/amount of items/etc. You even have to have the entire set of ads, front to back. Like, if a cashier tries that the chances of them getting in trouble are huge.

I love the "family gives you gift cards instead of trusting you with cash" one. Like, hah your family knows you're a lovely druggie or drunk or something, but they can't quite justify not giving you Christmas gifts. Yet.

You have a lovely Target, then (don't know about Walmart). Every time I've had them price match Amazon or Best Buy or whatever, I've shown them on my phone and then the person at customer service looks it up on their little iPad mini. Same with Best Buy (though usually they have a manager look it up).

Edit:

Karma Monkey posted:

If you can buy it cheaper somewhere else, why not just buy it at the cheaper place rather than trying to get the more expensive place to price-match? :confused:

Because I don't want to go to three or four stores and/or wait for Amazon to deliver something. If it's more than $5, it's worth both my time and gas money to get them to price match.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Tax is paying for 0-day shipping and a better return policy in case something's wrong with the item (Amazon has a good policy, but the turnaround time is poo poo)

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Paying for overnight shipping from Amazon is cheaper than paying sales tax so price matching is basically always a waste.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Magnus Praeda posted:

Because I don't want to go to three or four stores and/or wait for Amazon to deliver something. If it's more than $5, it's worth both my time and gas money to get them to price match.

Or you want to buy from some place that has better return policies than the low-priced store.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Life hack: live in a state with no sales tax.

On second thought, stay in your own state. Oregon sucks and is ugly.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Best Buy price-matching Amazon has saved me a few times when I needed something right then and there and couldn't wait a day or two for Prime shipping. And it's smart for them because they know people just use them as a showroom and order it off Amazon since it's cheaper, may as well get some business out of it even it eats into that profit margin.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

BioEnchanted posted:

I wouldn't think that while you're in horrible pain is the best time to go about the delicate business of cutting yourself open and then stitching it closed, you know, but suture self.

Doctor_Acula
May 24, 2011

Xun posted:

Got too many pesky keycards? Just microchip yourself!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7DxVWhFLI6E

Not sure if cool or really really dumb. Probably both.

I have one of these. Well, mine is NFC. Right now it doesn't do anything rad (I think it links to a YouTube video of the theme to Space Jam), but when my better half and I buy a home I plan on putting in one of those NFC locks so I don't need a key.

So yes, both. Stupid and cool.

I also didn't install it myself like a lunatic.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Doctor_Acula posted:

I have one of these. Well, mine is NFC. Right now it doesn't do anything rad (I think it links to a YouTube video of the theme to Space Jam), but when my better half and I buy a home I plan on putting in one of those NFC locks so I don't need a key.

So yes, both. Stupid and cool.

I also didn't install it myself like a lunatic.

This is the stupidest possible cyberpunk future

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Zemyla posted:

I wouldn't think that while you're in horrible pain is the best time to go about the delicate business of cutting yourself open and then stitching it closed, you know, but suture self.

omigod