Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Imagine your career ending with this public bitterness. Oh well I'm sure her fabulous wealth will buffer her feelings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

xPanda posted:

Am I forgetting something, or is Steve Ciobo's only action of note that he threatened an innocent australian to deportation on live TV?

If you buy into the media narrative he's part of the 'new breed' here to revitalise the Liberal party.

xPanda
Feb 6, 2003

Was that me or the door?

open24hours posted:

If you buy into the media narrative he's part of the 'new breed' here to revitalise the Liberal party.

Looking at the ABC's "highlights" from last night's QandA, his answers were all of the form "this is something and isn't something", so the new breed doesn't seem like much of an improvement.

Also he thinks that calling Alan Jones senile has something to do with the racial discrimination act?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Aha the sensational Steve Ciobo -

quote:

In mid-2013, Ciobo used the ABC's Lateline program in a desperate attempt for national recognition. During a televised debate with Labor backbencher Nick Champion, Ciobo implied that Prime Minister Julia Gillard's throat should be slit.[37]

Ciobo has also called for Captain Cook's landing place at Kurnell in Sydney to be upgraded and promoted as a tourism icon.[38]

Since his appointment Ciobo has abolished both the National Housing Supply Council, saying the Council's activities were "no longer needed";[41][42] and the Australian Valuation Office, saying "a compelling case for the Commonwealth providing its own valuation services no longer exists, particularly given there is a highly competitive market of private sector providers";[43][44] and announced plans to privatise the Royal Australian Mint.[45]

I think he's done a few more notable terrible things but I admit it is hard to keep up with the galloping buffoons.

And now to the tune of classic Oz Rocker 'the Nips are Getting Bigger'.

Ohh ohh the poo poo is getting deeper.
Ohh yeah it's getting deeper!

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-02-15/mark-dreyfus-refers-stuart-robert-china-trip-to-afp/7167086

quote:

Shadow attorney-general Mark Dreyfus has referred Stuart Robert's China trip to the Australian Federal Police, asking them to launch an investigation into whether the former minister intended to benefit from the visit.

Like Cunneen and Co. this will be fascinating to watch. WITHOUT PREJUDICE On the face of the facts as known to the public, guys are guilty as gently caress and should do real jail time. But wait there's more!

Arsetralian I click so you don't have to! http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nat...7af2857cf45780b

quote:

Stuart Robert’s $1600 bill despite gold mine link THE AUSTRALIAN FEBRUARY 16, 2016 12:00AM Hedley Thomas National Chief Correspondent :siren:Brisbane:siren:

Sacked Turnbull government minister Stuart Robert spent more than $1600 of taxpayers’ money to fly to a north Queensland goldmine in which he had recently bought shares for himself and his family. Department of Finance documents show that Mr Robert made claims on the public purse for return flights from Brisbane to Townsville on April 10, 2013, the day of the visit to the $200 million Mt Carlton mine of gold producer Evolution Mining. His travel allowance claim of $376 is dated April 9, indicating he stayed in Brisbane for a night before flying to Townsville on a scheduled commercial service and then taking a :siren:chartered helicopter:siren: west to the mine the following morning. Mr Robert charged the public purse a total of $1091 for the flights from Brisbane to Townsville and return to Brisbane, The Australian’s searches revealed yesterday. He chalked up Comcar limousine charges of $205 and claimed a further $376 for a travel allowance in Brisbane prior to inspecting his private ­investment.

The April 10, 2013 visit to the Mt Carlton mine, operated by Evolution Mining in which Mr Robert had bought shares the previous year, took him about 1600km north of his Gold Coast electorate. At the time of the visit he was opposition spokesman for defence, science technology and personnel, with no official role for the opening of the mine. Mr Robert had close ties with one of Evolution Mining’s ­directors at the time, Paul Marks, who had more than six million shares in the company and funnelled large donations to the Liberal and Nationals parties.

Mr Robert was dumped in Malcolm Turnbull’s ministry ­reshuffle over a trip to China in 2014, following revelations of his financial interest in another company, Nimrod ­Resources, which he promoted for Mr Marks. Evolution Mining issued an announcement to the Australian Securities Exchange stating that on April 10, 2013, then premier Campbell Newman officially opened the Mt Carlton gold-silver-copper mine and that “many special guests attended”. The statement did not mention Mr Robert, the federal member for Fadden, who did not promote the visit on his Facebook page. The Australian has obtained an official Queensland government itinerary of the visit which shows Mr Robert was on the VIP guest list along with former Queensland Liberal National president Bruce McIver. The running sheet for the event shows that Mr Robert did not have any official speaking part. A spokesman for Mr Robert did not return The Australian’s call yesterday.

The itinerary states: “Other ­attendees: (Queensland Mines) Minister Andrew Cripps MP, Mr Stuart Robert MP, shadow minister for defence, science technology and personnel, Mr Bruce McIver, LNP president.” In another section of the itinerary which lists all the invitees, Mr Robert is featured attending with Mr McIver. Two helicopters were chartered to fly Mr Newman, company executives, Mr Robert, Mr McIver, government advisers and others from Townsville Airport to Mt Carlton for the opening, then returned them to the airport after lunch and speeches. It is understood that Evolution Mining paid for the helicopter flights. Searches of federal parliament’s interests register show Mr Robert declared ownership of Evolution Mining shares on February 6, 2012, for himself and members of his family — “Stuart, Caleb, Isaac and Jacob”. His current register shows he still owns the shares, which closed yesterday at $1.93, compared with $1.30 at the time of his visit to the mine.

Mr Robert has previously declared free flights in Clive Palmer’s aircraft, including a visit to Papua New Guinea, where the tycoon was trying to develop oil and gas interests. Mr McIver as LNP president was on Mr Palmer’s payroll at the same time with directorships of Singapore-registered companies, which were set up as a shipping arm for the failed nickel refinery in Townsville. There is no pecuniary interests register for LNP heads. The federal opposition yesterday called for a police investigation into Mr Robert’s “private” visit to China in 2014, following revelations last week of his financial interest in another company, Nimrod ­Resources, which he promoted for Mr Marks. The opposition is expected to escalate its calls and include the Queensland mine visit in a police probe. Opposition legal affairs spokesman Mark Dreyfus wrote to AFP commissioner Andrew Colvin yesterday, stating: “It is clear that Mr Robert sought to benefit Mr Marks, a significant Liberal donor, but the revelation that Mr Robert himself stood to gain financially through his shareholdings in a company related to Nimrod is even more serious. “The Prime Minister has been careful to say only that this created an ‘impression’ that Mr Robert stood to gain personally from his trip. Whether he intended to do so now merits a proper police ­investigation.”

Mr McIver, who was appointed to the board of Australia Post by the Turnbull government three months ago, holds a stake in Nimrod Resources. His stake coincided with donations by Mr Marks of more than $2m to the Liberal and Nationals parties from his companies in 2013-14. Mr Newman refused to answer questions, saying he would check his official diary and travel records. Federal cabinet minister Josh Frydenberg said yesterday Mr Robert had already “paid a very high price” with his dumping as a minister over the China trip.
Remember that bit about how a loving Royal Commission failed to get a single ALP member in the poo? What is it with these clowns and travel entitlements?

Sack MT promises and gas LNP Party room.™

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Ministers should be forced to put all investments in blind trusts when taking office and then be executed when leaving office.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
Glad I missed Q&A:
http://www.theguardian.com/australi...ers?CMP=soc_567

quote:

Asked by host Tony Jones if there was an “end in sight” for detainees, new trade minister Steven Ciobo said the government “give people options to resettle in a third country”

After interjections by Labor MP Terri Butler, who said the government “had four people go to Cambodia” under that option and that 30 months for detainees was “a disgrace”, Ciobo shot back: “Terri, what’s your position? Do you support offshore detention or not?”

Butler was then asked by an audience member if the opposition leader, Bill Shorten, would “listen to our party” by taking on board a NSW Labor conference motion at the weekend calling for the prime minister, Malcolm Turnbull, to let asylum seekers “in limbo” stay in Australia.

She reconfirmed federal Labor’s position that there were “good, strong arguments that offshore detention is necessary to avoid what is colloquially called a pull factor” drawing asylum seekers by boat to Australia.

Jones then put it to Ciobo and Butler that both Coalition and Labor policies were that “under no circumstances should those people come to Australia”.

Ciobo responded: “It’s the same policy. This is the madness of Labor’s position.”

Butler accused the government of thinking “you’ve got to have people living in poverty and pain when what you should have done is processed them and got them resettled as quickly as possible”.

Ciobo replied: “You’re being a complete hypocrite.”

Some crazy Canadian right-wing guy dropped the economic migrant line but then apparently criticized offshore detention:

quote:

Canadian author Mark Steyn, after saying he would “play the token rightwing madman”, upbraided the government for failing to “own the problem” of detention centres or honour its responsibility to deal “expeditiously” with refugee claims.

Steyn said he was “broadly unsympathetic” to what he described as “nonsense” attempts to paint “economic” migrants seeking access to first-world countries as refugees.

“That said, I have problems with what is going on in Nauru and Papua New Guinea, which seems to me, as basically an old-school imperialist, to be colonialism with all the defects and none of the benefits,” he said.

“If you are going to warehouse people in essentially former Australian colonies, I think you have an obligation to process them expeditiously.”

Steyn said the government had “a responsibility to own the problem, so you don’t contract it to a private contractor”.

“The government of Australia – if it’s going to do some deal with the government of Nauru or the government of Papua New Guinea to have some camps there – has a responsibility to run those camps and ensure, for example, there are first-class medical facilities there,” he said.

“There is absolutely no reason why people should be there two-and-a-half years and why they should be there in those conditions … two-and-a-half years under a camp run by private contractors is not an acceptable policy.”

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Cunneen has been effectively undermined by ICAC leaking the tapes that they had her on corruption in the first place with her explicitly saying she told her sons girlfriend to fake chest pains to avoid a breath tyest because she'd been drinking. While the high court found the actions didn't constitute corruption in the true sense governed by the legislation (the dissent notwithstanding) the tapes don't pass the sniff test and pretty much Cunneen is trying to find a way to unring the bell.

I will say it's been an open secret that the ICAC had Cunneen on tape because they would never ever have stuck their neck this far out without something this ironclad, so them being released is a massive "gently caress you" to Cunneen.

quote:

Lawyers for Crown prosecutor Margaret Cunneen want members of a parliamentary inquiry and corruption chief Megan Latham to give written guarantees they did not leak controversial transcripts of Australian Crime Commission phone taps involving her to Fairfax Media and other news outlets.

In a letter to committee chairman Damien Tudehope after Fairfax Media revealed the transcript excerpts last week, Ms Cunneen's lawyers "ask that the chair seek written confirmation from Ms Latham and each of the members of the parliamentary committee as to whether either they or any of their staff" leaked the material to journalists.

The letter says Ms Cunneen has instructed them to refer the matter to the commissioners of the Australian Federal Police and NSW Police "for immediate investigation" as to whether the leak breached the Independent Commission Against Corruption Act or the Telecommunications (Interception and Access) Act.

Mr Tudehope said: "The committee does not take directions from [Ms Cunneen's] lawyers."

The committee met on Monday as planned but the only formal decision made was to postpone its next meeting from this Friday to an as yet undecided date.

This was because it has yet to receive legal advice as to its powers to publicly release material gained under the the federal Telecommunications (Interception and Access) Act.Excerpts of the secret recording revealed by Fairfax Media capture Ms Cunneen telling a tow truck driver she had sent a message to her son's girlfriend, who had been drinking alcohol, "to start having chest pains" after a 2014 car accident to delay being given a breath test.

It also reveals Ms Cunneen expressed the hope that the delay would mean an ambulance would be called and the woman, Sophia Tilley, would record a blood alcohol reading of zero once tested.

The recording prompted the Independent Commission Against Corruption to launch an investigation into whether Ms Cunneen had tried to pervert the course of justice.

When she tendered the transcript and audio to the committee last Thursday, Ms Latham urged their public release because they serve to "undermine the basis for the adverse findings" in a damning report on ICAC's investigation of Ms Cunneen by its inspector, David Levine.

However, the February 12 letter from Ms Cunneen's lawyers argues this is not a valid reason for their release.

The inquiry is being held after Mr Levine's December report accused ICAC of "unreasonable, unjust, [and] oppressive maladministration" in its pursuit of Ms Cunneen.

It followed the ICAC being forced to abandon its investigation after a successful challenge by Ms Cunneen to the High Court, which found the watchdog had exceeded its jurisdiction.

The NSW Solicitor-General later said no prosecution should be pursued. Ms Cunneen has always denied the allegations.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/cunneen-l...l#ixzz40Hr4PE00
Follow us: @smh on Twitter | sydneymorningherald on Facebook

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
A year after the greyhound live baiting scandal shocked the nation, some of the 'life bans' handed out by the industry have been reduced to as little as two to five years.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Vladimir Poutine posted:

Some crazy Canadian right-wing guy dropped the economic migrant line but then apparently criticized offshore detention:

That dude also interjected on the "we need a new stolen genetation" thing with "I don't know anything about indiginous history, but brave ideas like that are why freedom of speech is so important"

That's how blatantly lovely detention policy is

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

without freeze peach brave ideas go uncelebrated such as 'actually, genocide is good'

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

What's more likely to be suppressed, the idea that genocide is good or that genocide is bad?

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman

Honestly the best way to get to zero road deaths is to imprison anyone who drives a car. We've got to make it so nobody wants to drive cars in order to save lives. Or, if you see someone driving a car, drag that car back to their house and cut the fuel line. I don't think I'm alone in thinking that any death by car is unnacceptable and we must send a strong message.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

open24hours posted:

What's more likely to be suppressed, the idea that genocide is good or that genocide is bad?

Only if it's multiculturalism.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

redweird posted:

Honestly the best way to get to zero road deaths is to imprison anyone who drives a car. We've got to make it so nobody wants to drive cars in order to save lives. Or, if you see someone driving a car, drag that car back to their house and cut the fuel line. I don't think I'm alone in thinking that any death by car is unnacceptable and we must send a strong message.

More people die on the road than they do in the ocean. Maybe we should mull over culling cars instead of sharks?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

redweird posted:

An unfortunate choice:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_motor_vehicle_deaths_in_Australia_by_year

http://artsonline.monash.edu.au/thebordercrossingobservatory/publications/australian-border-deaths-database/

We don't care as much about our own road deaths as we do about mere foreign economic migrant scum. :australia:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

An article published by a Liberal Party-aligned think tank that advocates killing off the poorest 20 per cent of Australians as a way to get the budget back on track has been described as a ''disgraceful rant'' by Treasurer Wayne Swan.
A ''modest cull of the enormously poor'' has been suggested by right-wing business lobbyist Toby Ralph in a tongue-in-cheek opinion piece written in reaction to the federal government's attack on the ''fabulously wealthy'' through superannuation taxes.

"A modest cull would strike at the root of our fiscal dilemma."

''In contrast to the fabulously rich, the enormously poor make little useful contribution to society,'' wrote Mr Ralph, a long-time Liberal Party campaign strategist.
''They consume more than they contribute, putting tremendous strain on the national budget.
''A modest cull would strike at the root of our fiscal dilemma. If the least productive 20 per cent of citizens were decommissioned it would directly release a recurrent $25 billion, which would almost cover overspending by the Gillard government between now and September 14th, assuming Mr Swan maintains his long-term average rate of profligacy.

''This bold initiative would rid us of indolent students, hapless single mums, lower-order drug dealers, social workers, performance artists, Greenpeace supporters and the remaining processing personnel in our collapsing yet heavily subsidised manufacturing industries.''
Mr Ralph's bloody prescription for national economic recovery was written strictly as satire, he told Fairfax Media, saying ''some people want to be offended''.
The article ends with a suggestion that the government could recoup the $900 million it will gouge from the rich in super taxes by simply spending within its means for six days - but ''that's clearly just daft'', he wrote.
That has not stopped critics, including Mr Swan, questioning the wisdom of Menzies House publishing the article.

Menzies House was founded by Liberal senator Cory Bernardi, recently sent to the backbench over his comments on same-sex marriage leading to legalised bestiality.
Menzies House stemmed from Senator Bernardi's Conservative Leadership Foundation but he has since insisted he has no active role or editorial influence over it.
Chris Browne, a long-time employee of Senator Bernardi, resigned as editor-in-chief of Menzies House after an anonymous article was posted describing Joe Hockey as incompetent and a stain on the Coalition's reputation as a good economic manager.
Mr Browne was replaced by Tim Andrews, executive director of the Australian Taxpayers' Alliance and a former vice-president of the NSW Young Liberals.

Mr Andrews said of the article: ''It's a satire in the tradition of Jonathan Swift's 'A Modest Proposal' and, as such, I do not see any cause for persons to be offended.''
The 1729 essay suggested the impoverished Irish could ease their economic troubles by selling their children as food for the rich.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owI7DOeO_yg

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

Solemn Sloth posted:

More people die on the road than they do in the ocean. Maybe we should mull over culling cars instead of sharks?

Or lock them up in parks so we can go and view them.

if you can't see me I can't see you

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Anidav why are you posting poo poo that happened in 2013?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Because nothing has changed :v:

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Nothing has ever changed.

In our time did a pretty good thing on Jonathan Swift http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00h3650

open24hours fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Feb 16, 2016

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Liberals publishing their deepest darkest thoughts on poor people and then claiming its satire will never stop being a bookmark into the mind of a Tory.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

The Peccadillo posted:

That dude also interjected on the "we need a new stolen genetation" thing with "I don't know anything about indiginous history, but brave ideas like that are why freedom of speech is so important"

That's how blatantly lovely detention policy is

Catallaxy Q&A Trip Report:

The catallaxy crowd have an "interruption bingo" to count how many times lefties interrupt rightys to Stop Them Saying Righty Things (the winner had 55). We have a new category of conservative too, there's Conservative and Malcolm Conservative. Ciobo is a Malcolm Conservative. They were very much :allears: for Steyn:

quote:

Steyn’s class is wasted on this hive of scum.

but if you think any of his comments gave them pause, think again.

quote:

Steyn was probably not aware that those reffos are rorting the system and hanging out in camps for eternity by using the legal system to prevent us loving them off.

He can’t expected to know about everything here.

This was a more interesting comment:

quote:

Ciobo accidentally says “In a democracy you gotta limit the choices of the people”
He gets a mild laugh from the crowd, and late on dropped from the ministry for revealing a cabinet secret before the 30-year statute.

Oh there's more jargon: Ciobo is a LINO = Liberal In Name Only. They're really sorting out whats what over there.

I'll spare you all Sinclair Davidson's ridiculous graphs trying to prove that negative gearing is good for low and middle income earners and not "the rich". It's a laugh though. Remember, they're libertarian AND centre-right :v:

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

So do they admit that they ripped off LINO wholesale from the yanks with RINOs (Republican In Name Only)?

Re: helmet chat, better city planning is definitely needed. I look at the five minute car ride I have to work, and when walking it becomes a 20 minute + endeavour because I can't loving make it in a straight line. Plus the lack of sidewalks makes me worry for when my daughter is old enough to start riding a bike - the sidewalks end randomly and don't always have a corresponding start on the opposite side of the road. Also no bike lanes.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

ewe2 posted:

The catallaxy crowd have an "interruption bingo" to count how many times lefties interrupt rightys to Stop Them Saying Righty Things (the winner had 55). We have a new category of conservative too, there's Conservative and Malcolm Conservative. Ciobo is a Malcolm Conservative. They were very much :allears: for Steyn:

but if you think any of his comments gave them pause, think again.

This was a more interesting comment:

Oh there's more jargon: Ciobo is a LINO = Liberal In Name Only. They're really sorting out whats what over there.

I'll spare you all Sinclair Davidson's ridiculous graphs trying to prove that negative gearing is good for low and middle income earners and not "the rich". It's a laugh though. Remember, they're libertarian AND centre-right :v:

what do you call a party room of malcolm conservatives

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012

Also re: helmest chat, I have a question for cyclists. Once bicycle infrastructure has been built, why do so many cyclists still choose to ride on the street? (Maybe this is a Perth thing only).

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

ewe2 posted:

The catallaxy crowd have an "interruption bingo" to count how many times lefties interrupt rightys to Stop Them Saying Righty Things (the winner had 55). We have a new category of conservative too, there's Conservative and Malcolm Conservative. Ciobo is a Malcolm Conservative.
I don't supposed they considered "Malcomservatives" did they?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Malcolmtents

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

MonoAus posted:

Also re: helmest chat, I have a question for cyclists. Once bicycle infrastructure has been built, why do so many cyclists still choose to ride on the street? (Maybe this is a Perth thing only).

Because the bicycle infrastructure isn't very good? Canberra has an excellent network of bike paths for recreational cycling, but they're much too circuitous if you're riding for transport.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

quote:

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/nsw/bob-carr-calls-for-australian-immigration-to-be-cut-by-onethird-20160216-gmv37n.html
Former NSW Premier and Australian Foreign Minister Bob Carr has called for Australia to consider reducing its immigration intake by up to one-half before growing population density on the eastern coast changes the Australian style of living.

"I think the Australian people, if asked, would want immigration slowed," Mr Carr said at a press conference in Sydney on Tuesday. "We've got a third-world style population growth rate.

"If you bring 100,000 people into the Sydney basin every year, the price of housing goes up [...] people wonder why their youngsters can't get houses in the big cities... the answer is we are going for breakneck population growth."
Bob Carr has spoken in Sydney today.

Australia's population was officially declared to have hit 24 million people shortly after midnight on Tuesday, according to the Australian Bureau of Statistics.

About 190,000 people will be admitted to the country under Australia's managed migration program this financial year, according to federal government statistics. About 70,000 were admitted in 1999-2000.

Mr Carr said Australia had the highest rate of population growth of any developed country and that the growth was undermining policies by governments to make housing more affordable and to improve infrastructure. "It's always never enough".

"By the middle years of this century we're going to have a huge concentration of the available land," he said. "We can go the way of other cities so that the basic unit of housing is a unit in a high-rise tower, but I would rather think a lot of Australians would believe we've lost something of ourselves.

"There comes a point … at 50, million, 60 million, 70 million before the end of the century where we have to start thinking again."

Mr Carr said new immigration would invariably be "crammed" on a "narrow coastal strip" in Australia's east, despite the fact the country is among the least densely populated on Earth.

"There's a case for pegging immigration back by easily one-third, perhaps even 50 per cent," Mr Carr said.

He said reducing overall immigration was compatible with federal Labor's plans to increase Australia's refugee intake.

Mr Carr said Australia's economy should focus on export-led growth and stop relying on an expansion in its domestic market.

Australia's "net migration", which subtracts the number of people leaving the country each year, has dropped from a 2008 peak of about 300,000 to about 200,000 in 2014. It remains at its highest level as a proportion of the country's total population since about 1965, according to statistics from the federal Treasury.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

I knew it was the immigants! Even when it was the bears i knew it was them!

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

MonoAus posted:

because they're loving assholes

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
http://www.buzzfeed.com/markdistefano/what-positive-gear#.jbvqW2yWzG

Buzzfeed doing better reporting than the AFR, even if they are just facebook stalking:

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

MonoAus posted:

open24hours posted:

Because the bicycle infrastructure isn't very good? Canberra has an excellent network of bike paths for recreational cycling, but they're much too circuitous if you're riding for transport.

Exactly, cars get freeways and overpasses so they can go from point a to point b in the shortest time possible, cyclists and buses get circuitous routes that make their travel time even longer.

I have to catch a bus to training in town on Thursday and Friday and since my suburb doesn't connect to an OBahn route it's going to take soooo long :qq:

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
I was riding on the purpose built bike track that runs along side the M7 in Sydney and I looked down to see some tosser riding on the road itself. The bike track is huge - like 40km. Dunno why he was special enough to be there.

chyaroh
Aug 8, 2007
Back to ACL chat, if they can't have a discussion without violating, for example, the NSW Anti-Discrimination Act s49ZT, then they probably shouldn't be entering into the debate seriously anyway. It states:

49ZT Homosexual vilification unlawful

(1) It is unlawful for a person, by a public act, to incite hatred towards, serious contempt for, or severe ridicule of, a person or group of persons on the ground of the homosexuality of the person or members of the group.
(2) Nothing in this section renders unlawful:
(a) a fair report of a public act referred to in subsection (1), or
(b) a communication or the distribution or dissemination of any matter on an occasion that would be subject to a defence of absolute privilege (whether under the Defamation Act 2005 or otherwise) in proceedings for defamation, or
(c) a public act, done reasonably and in good faith, for academic, artistic, religious instruction, scientific or research purposes or for other purposes in the public interest, including discussion or debate about and expositions of any act or matter.

Note the references to "good faith" and "reasonably". Personally I don't see that as a "ridiculously low threshold" or whatever the ACL were using as their reasoning. Leave the legislation alone and let people have a reasoned discussion. As I said before, I expect the plebiscite to pass. Whether the politicians are willing to honor that is another question.

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012
I only ask because I often see cyclists on the road riding parallel to purpose built bike paths. Not really an attack, was just wondering why.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
jonathan swift is my spirit guide

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

MonoAus posted:

I only ask because I often see cyclists on the road riding parallel to purpose built bike paths. Not really an attack, was just wondering why.

In breaking news, people of all stripes are idiots sometimes.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

MonoAus posted:

I cant speak for everyone else, but on my ride to work most of the bike lanes are dual-purpose bike lane/street parking. I consider it less dangerous to just ride in the car lane than weaving in and out of the bike lane into the car lane and back every time I need to avoid a parked car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haetbus
Mar 31, 2011

ALL ABOARD
THE HAET BUS
HONK HONK

open24hours posted:

I don't know, I often see cyclists on the road over Commonwealth Avenue Bridge, even though there is a path both sides of the bridge and signage directs cyclists to use the path across the bridge. Sure, most cyclists use the path, but a noticeable minority don't.

• Locked thread