Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

paragon1 posted:

jrod why do you think google spell check refuses to recognize "libertarianism" as a word?

Ahahaha god drat. :golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

If child labor laws only make poverty worse, and the only reason they seemed to work in the US is because we just happened to become prosperous enough to not need child labor anymore at the exact moment those laws were passed...then why do businesses lobby so hard and spend so much money trying to repeal them?

Are these businesses irrational market actors that will soon be driven out of business by plucky competitors who don't waste money lobbying to repeal ineffective laws and pass the savings on to the wily consumer?

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Jrod please tell me why you don't mind that Insurance companies promote pumping women who are giving birth full of unnecessary drugs. Is this a market failing or actually a good thing?

Tell me why over 85% of C-sections are performed unnecessarily, Jrod. TELL ME YOU PIECE OF poo poo.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Jrod do you still subscribe to the belief that there are women who get pregnant as a means to collect more welfare?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

theshim posted:

Jrod do you still subscribe to the belief that there are women who get pregnant as a means to collect more welfare?

Don't forget that it was specifically black women who do this.

But Jrod is most definitely not a racist. He loves Tyler Perry movies!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

theshim posted:

I imagine there's an entire libertarian think tank dedicating to finding the three or four women in the US who might have possibly done this, so they can trumpet them as an example.

Fortunately, Obama has already placed them in federal judgeships.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Closing statement:

Thank you, jrod, for this thread. This has been truly entertaining and informative, but not for the reasons you hoped. Still, I'm looking forward to your next thread, especially since Eripsa no longer posts.

To everyone else: Thank you for your at times saintly level of patience in trying to debate in good faith. This too has been amazing to read.

Juffo-Wup
Jan 13, 2005

Pillbug

Caros posted:

Closing arguments. If jrodefeld returns for even a single additional comment his general poo poo posting will have outlasted my marriage.

Stop and think about how much time you have wasted jrodefeld. I hope you learn to do something better with your life you heaping sack of poo poo.

I'm still worried about this :ohdear:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Just a random thing to throw out there about stuff like child labor laws and the welfare state being predicated on increases in prosperity and productivity resulting from industrial capitalism: this is where we see that jrod cannot distinguish "necessary" from "sufficient."

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

VitalSigns posted:

If child labor laws only make poverty worse, and the only reason they seemed to work in the US is because we just happened to become prosperous enough to not need child labor anymore at the exact moment those laws were passed...then why do businesses lobby so hard and spend so much money trying to repeal them?

Are these businesses irrational market actors that will soon be driven out of business by plucky competitors who don't waste money lobbying to repeal ineffective laws and pass the savings on to the wily consumer?

We got real lucky with segregation too. Banned it just as racism became such a small problem we didn't really need to ban it anyway. So let's just legalize it again, just for shits and giggles. I'm not a racist, I probably wouldn't ban any people from my businesses (unless they look like the thug gangsters or Arabs), but the government wastes infinity trillion dollars stopping segregation, so lets just legalize it, mkay?

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Hey, someone made Jrod's AV more honest!

Fake edit: It was me, I did it. I have $80 in the bank that I will use AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN until it's gone for him to keep that AV

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

jrodefeld posted:

I'd hope you'd agree with me that a good job with a good wage is more valuable to a poor person than being dependent on a State hand-out.

Thanks to depending on State handouts: the GI Bill, Pell Grants, and Stafford Loans I was able to go to school for a STEM degree that netted me a good job with a good wage and now through my taxes I am doing this:

jrodefeld posted:

just restitution would require that he pay the baker back when he is in a position to do so. In fact, most decent people would gladly provide a starving person with a loaf of bread with an agreement to be payed back later.

Win-loving-win-win for me and the state and society. I used government programs to get a good wage and now a high-skilled productive worker is contributing to the economy where one didn't exist before and the state has is making back its investment in me and more so it can fund education for the next cohort of students.

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

Juffo-Wup posted:

I'm still worried about this :ohdear:

Same here. :ohdear:

Please be okay, Caros.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

Fake edit: It was me, I did it. I have $80 in the bank that I will use AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN until it's gone for him to keep that AV

text should have read "I challenged dickeye to a fight and was too cowardly to show."

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

DrProsek posted:

We got real lucky with segregation too. Banned it just as racism became such a small problem we didn't really need to ban it anyway. So let's just legalize it again, just for shits and giggles. I'm not a racist, I probably wouldn't ban any people from my businesses (unless they look like the thug gangsters or Arabs), but the government wastes infinity trillion dollars stopping segregation, so lets just legalize it, mkay?

These strange coincidences happen a lot and they trick people into thinking the government helped instead of having a psychic ability to swoop in and take credit at the most opportune time.

For example, mush-brained statists credit the Pure Food and Drug Act because they look at the sudden disappearance of cough medicine containing antifreeze and conclude it must have been the government, when first principles will tell you it's because engaged consumers picked that moment to decide they demanded medicine that didn't kill their children and voted with their wallets.

These deaths persist in countries without strong enforcement of drug purity probably because their culture just doesn't value the lives of children so parents don't mind poisoning them.

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.

jrodefeld posted:

I've explained this to you many times over the course of this thread, but I'll try once again.

If your primary interest is the well-being of the most poor, then what you ought to support is a society in which the most prosperity can be generated. A more physically productive economy with higher economic growth and capital investment creates the conditions by which people can be taken care of. To create the wealth in society that would be needed to generate a comfortable living standard for the maximum number of people, as history has taught us, you need to embrace a free market economy, private property rights, and keep the State restrained to the adjudication of disputes and the defense of individual rights.

I've cited studies that rank the countries of the world in accordance with their adherence to economic liberty as defined by libertarians to bolster this position. There are many such studies that have been done by libertarian and free market institutions. Instead of understanding the larger point, all you replied with was "why are the United Arab Emirates and Qatar on the list?", "This just proves libertarians are really racists."

This is so staggeringly disingenuous. I never claimed to be any sort of expert in the policies of Qatar or UAE and my goal was simply to give a sample of the sort of literature that has been done on the subject of economic freedom around the world. If you would look at the broader picture, you would see a very strong correlation between adherence to free market principles and the general prosperity and living standards of the populations of those countries.

It has almost become conventional wisdom in the past twenty years or so that if we really want to uplift the poor of the world, the single best reform to advocate is economic liberalization. It has succeeded where foreign aid, charity and State controls have failed. Hong Kong is oft cited as a success story. The ease by which an entrepreneur can start a business and the legal defense of contract and property are critical to capital accumulation and investment which creates prosperity and enables a middle class to emerge.

If you deny that market liberalization and restraint of the State are necessary prerequisites for creating the prosperity needed to provide the poor with jobs and a decent standard of living, we only have to have a thought experiment. Take all your favorite Progressive policies, workplace safety regulations, minimum wage laws, occupational licensure laws, punitive high tax-rates on the highest income bracket and so forth and apply them to Malawi (one of the poorest nations in the world), see how much better you will make the poor in that country. The logical result will be, at best, no discernible effect on poverty rates, and more likely an even worse experience for the people who have to suffer in that third world nation.

Exporting "Progressive" policies to third world nations has actually been tried, with predictably disastrous results. Eliminating child labor in third world nations had the horrifying result of sending children into child prostitution and other more dangerous and degrading occupations. The reason should be obvious. Children don't work in poor countries because they want to, or that they all have horrible parents. They work because the economy is so poor and unproductive, they will starve if they don't. The most effective way to improve working conditions for the poor and eliminate child labor is to adopt policies that attract capital investment to make the economy more physically productive. This raises real wages and stocks store shelves with an abundance of goods that allow people to work less hours, have more leisure and purchase the needed products that allow for a comfortable standard of living.

The message here is that by moving towards greater economic freedom, making it easier for entrepreneurs to start businesses, eliminating occupational licensing, reducing tax rates and government spending which allows more capital investment, the predictable outcome will be greater economic productivity, which results in lower consumer prices, higher real wages and more economic opportunities for both wage earners and entrepreneurs.

The effect of these reforms would be that less people would need charity and there would be more disposable income to provide for those that still did. It is an absolute fallacy to think that the private economy would need to match, dollar for dollar, the amount spent by the State on social welfare. If observable reality about the way governments and the private market work has taught us anything, it is that private sector enterprises can produce equivalent or superior results at a fraction of the cost of the State.

What I'm trying to get across to you is that it is economic freedom and the market economy which is the engine by which prosperity is created and adopting policies which needlessly hinder free economic transactions and opportunities hurt all in society but especially the poor.

Even places like Sweden which have State-funded social programs so loved by the left are only able to finance them due to decades of relatively laissez-faire, free market policies which produced such a level of prosperity that their economies don't crumble under their weight.

It reminds me of the Progressives who argue that the general prosperity and healthy middle class that we observed in the middle of the twentieth century in the United States is attributable entirely to the GI bill and the high marginal tax rates imposed on the wealthy, somehow ignoring the century of relative laissez-faire economic freedom which permitted such a massive creation of prosperity, capital accumulation and physical productivity. THAT is the source of the vibrant middle class and the living standards we enjoy. The State interventions and programs piled onto this productive base only hinder the rising living standards and economic opportunities that would help out the poor and vulnerable.

I'd hope you'd agree with me that a good job with a good wage is more valuable to a poor person than being dependent on a State hand-out. I also don't believe that people are as helpless without daddy government as you seem to think. Free people, communities, charity, mutual aid societies, entrepreneurs and churches will be able to assist the few remaining poor people in a free society as well as any system could ever help them.

To think that only the State is capable to helping people is to someone assume that the motives of people in politics are somehow much more pure and altruistic than people in the private sector. You'd have to assume that perverse incentives don't exist in politics and social welfare programs are really designed to ultimately help uplift people rather than buying off people with bribes in exchange for votes. I'd really suggest you check out a field of study called "Public Choice Economics" which evaluates the motivations of public officials through an economic lens.

What you are falling victim to is the inevitable inertia of tradition. We've been taught for several generations that the only way to help out with social problems, take care of the elderly, provide medical care to people and help the poor is through government policy and democratic elections. Public schools inculcate these ideas in peoples heads and we lose the ability to imagine innovative alternatives. We assume they don't exist.

a]

Nolanar posted:

Let's play the syllogism game!

1: Theft can be morally justified under certain circumstances
2: Taxation is theft
3:

b] You're a manchild who refuses to ever admit fault or deficit in anything and your grandparents should be loving ashamed of themselves for enabling your cowardice.

Caros
May 14, 2008

TLM3101 posted:

Same here. :ohdear:

Please be okay, Caros.

Breakups are never pretty, divorces even less so. Still, that is what whiskey is for. Sweet, sweet whisky.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Caros posted:

Breakups are never pretty, divorces even less so. Still, that is what whiskey is for. Sweet, sweet whisky.

:(

Juffo-Wup
Jan 13, 2005

Pillbug
jrod look what you've done

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Juffo-Wup posted:

jrod look what you've done

There is nothing he can't ruin.

jrodefeld
Sep 22, 2012

by Shine

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Jrod, it would really benefit you to get information from sources beyond Mises.org. Simple research shows you to be completely out of your depth on basically every topic.

The chart above shows that prior to the Great Depression (which, really, was the ultimate climax of the old laissez faire order), American recessions were far more frequent and far more severe than recessions post-Great Depression. The major reasons for this increased level of stability were: 1. Tighter regulation of the financial sector, 2. Deposit insurance, 3. The creation of "automatic stabilizers" aka "welfare state" programs to put money into peoples' hands when they lost their jobs, 4. Creation of government "pump priming" policies and subsidies.

In the 19th century, after the failure to recharter the Second Bank - which accounted for roughly 20% of all issued bank notes in 1836-, states were essentially free to issue more bank notes than they could support with specie payouts, which they proceeded to do. The obvious result was massive over-leveraging in state banks, large money supply disparities between states, and susceptibility to runs and panics. Central banking, lender-of-last resort, deposit insurance, some healthy degree of inflation, and the existence of state-backed safety nets would almost certainly have made for a more stable economy.

Edit: fixed my own retarded inability to read charts.

I get information from other sources and I'm well aware of the conventional narrative. But you are making some errors here, the first of which is your assertion that the Great Depression was "the ultimate climax of the old laissez faire order". This is a rhetorical trick that is designed to make us forget that the Federal Reserve had been in existence for twenty years prior to this crisis intervening into the economy and expanding bank credit, especially in the "roaring" twenties. This is hardly an example of "laissez faire" and the Austrian explanation of the business cycle blames central banking and expansionary monetary policy for creating an artificial boom due to malinvestment which leads to an inevitable crash. This is what Ludwig von Mises blamed for the Great Depression, so to claim that we had a libertarian "laissez-faire" economy for the decade or two before the Great Depression is dishonest.

So be clear that the Great Depression occurred under the Fed's watch and no economic crisis that occurred before the Fed was established could compare in either length or severity.

Furthermore, your contention that economic crises before the fed were "far more frequent and far more severe" is misleading. In the first place, you conveniently choose to start counting after the Great Depression so as to implicate the free market as having caused the greatest economic crisis in US history. But remember that libertarians and Austrian economists blame primarily central banking and artificial credit expansion for causing the business cycle, so you ought to be looking at pre-Fed and post-Fed periods not pre and post Great Depression.

Christina Romer, hardly a libertarian, found in her research that the numbers and dating used by the National Bureau of Economic Research exaggerated both the number and the length of economic downturns prior to the creation of the Federal Reserve.

Contrary to your contention that the economic crises were "far more severe" before the Fed, economist George Selgin stated that they were "three months shorter on average and no more severe". The average peak to bottom was 7.7 months before the Fed as opposed to 10.6 in the period after World War 2.

http://object.cato.org/sites/cato.org/files/pubs/pdf/WorkingPaper-2.pdf

The economist Richard Timberlake said "As monetary histories confirm,...most of the monetary turbulence - bank panics and suspensions in the 19th century - resulted from excessive issues of the legal tender paper money, and they were abated by the working gold standards of the time."

https://books.google.com/books?id=y...20time.&f=false

Even many mainstream economists have been reconsidering the narrative that was commonplace a few decades ago about the economic volatility before the Fed.

But, setting aside the issue of recessions for a moment, what about the value of the currency as a predictable store of value? During the entire period of the Gold Standard, through all the unprecedented economic growth, the value of the currency grew by 7%. This is a boon to savers who could accumulate dollars and simply put them away knowing that they will maintain or appreciate in value simply by saving them. Economic calculation could be made more predictably since the value of the currency was relatively stable.

Even John Kenneth Galbraith, no libertarian or fan of gold, had it correct: “In the last [19th] century in the industrial countries there was much uncertainty as to whether a man could get money but very little as to what it would do for him once he had it. In this [20th] century the problem of getting money, though it remains considerable, has diminished. In its place has come a new uncertainty as to what money, however acquired and accumulated, will be worth. Once, to have an income reliably denominated in money was thought…to be very comfortable. Of late, to have a fixed income is to be thought liable to impoverishment that may not be slow. What has happened to money?”

And the gold standard serves to create a limit on the expansion of the State, which is one reason why it is attractive to those who want a hard limit on the expansion of State power.

I think it is important to note hear that there were many shortcomings to the classical gold standard that we had in the 19th century and virtually no libertarians want an exact copy of those policies. We seek a new, 21st century hard money, or even the de-nationalization of money as Hayek proposed. Mistakes were undoubtedly made in the implementation and adherence to the gold standard in the 19th century, and we want to improve upon what we had then.

I've always wondered why there wasn't a popular left-wing "hard money" movement. Why wouldn't an independent, un-electable and audit-free group of private bankers having the power to expand the money supply at will and give low interest loans to private businesses and government not tend towards corruption and the enrichment of a privileged class at the expense of the middle class? This is in fact exactly what libertarians have been arguing. If you care for accountability in government whatsoever, there ought to be some limit to how much the money supply can be expanded on a whim. There is nothing special about gold inherently. It is simply a shiny metal and any other commodity or other mechanism which imposes discipline on monetary policy could suffice. Gold simply has a history of being chosen as money when people had the free choice of currency. It satisfies the requirements of money, being that it is divisible, durable, portable, scarce, etc.

So I'll just ask this question because I am genuinely curious. Forgetting the historical gold standard, why don't the left support a mechanism which limits the expansion of the money supply in order to limit inflation and curtail the enrichment of the corporate class and the endless expansion of the State? This, to me, seems like a very Progressive cause since this is one of the biggest drivers of inequality and corporate privilege.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
"you guys just yelled about what a shitheap cato was, lemme just link some more cato garbage, because i'm a fuckin retard baby shitfucker and a pussy and a bitch" - jrode, irl

Juffo-Wup
Jan 13, 2005

Pillbug

jrodefeld posted:

So I'll just ask this question because I am genuinely curious. Forgetting the historical gold standard, why don't the left support a mechanism which limits the expansion of the money supply in order to limit inflation and curtail the enrichment of the corporate class and the endless expansion of the State? This, to me, seems like a very Progressive cause since this is one of the biggest drivers of inequality and corporate privilege.

A lot of leftists would probably support significant democratic oversight of a central bank. And I think you'll find that to the extent that someone thinks the private ownership of capital should be abolished altogether, they're not going to desperately looking for some mechanism by which to limit capital accumulation by the wealthy.

Fixing the money supply to some commodity only reduces democratic control of the economy. This seems fairly clear.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

jrodefeld posted:

I get information from other sources and I'm well aware of the conventional narrative. But you are making some errors here, the first of which is your assertion that the Great Depression was "the ultimate climax of the old laissez faire order". This is a rhetorical trick that is designed to make us forget that the Federal Reserve had been in existence for twenty years prior to this crisis intervening into the economy and expanding bank credit, especially in the "roaring" twenties. This is hardly an example of "laissez faire" and the Austrian explanation of the business cycle blames central banking and expansionary monetary policy for creating an artificial boom due to malinvestment which leads to an inevitable crash. This is what Ludwig von Mises blamed for the Great Depression, so to claim that we had a libertarian "laissez-faire" economy for the decade or two before the Great Depression is dishonest.

So be clear that the Great Depression occurred under the Fed's watch and no economic crisis that occurred before the Fed was established could compare in either length or severity.

Furthermore, your contention that economic crises before the fed were "far more frequent and far more severe" is misleading. In the first place, you conveniently choose to start counting after the Great Depression so as to implicate the free market as having caused the greatest economic crisis in US history. But remember that libertarians and Austrian economists blame primarily central banking and artificial credit expansion for causing the business cycle, so you ought to be looking at pre-Fed and post-Fed periods not pre and post Great Depression.

Christina Romer, hardly a libertarian, found in her research that the numbers and dating used by the National Bureau of Economic Research exaggerated both the number and the length of economic downturns prior to the creation of the Federal Reserve.

Contrary to your contention that the economic crises were "far more severe" before the Fed, economist George Selgin stated that they were "three months shorter on average and no more severe". The average peak to bottom was 7.7 months before the Fed as opposed to 10.6 in the period after World War 2.

http://object.cato.org/sites/cato.org/files/pubs/pdf/WorkingPaper-2.pdf

The economist Richard Timberlake said "As monetary histories confirm,...most of the monetary turbulence - bank panics and suspensions in the 19th century - resulted from excessive issues of the legal tender paper money, and they were abated by the working gold standards of the time."

https://books.google.com/books?id=y...20time.&f=false

Even many mainstream economists have been reconsidering the narrative that was commonplace a few decades ago about the economic volatility before the Fed.

But, setting aside the issue of recessions for a moment, what about the value of the currency as a predictable store of value? During the entire period of the Gold Standard, through all the unprecedented economic growth, the value of the currency grew by 7%. This is a boon to savers who could accumulate dollars and simply put them away knowing that they will maintain or appreciate in value simply by saving them. Economic calculation could be made more predictably since the value of the currency was relatively stable.

Even John Kenneth Galbraith, no libertarian or fan of gold, had it correct: “In the last [19th] century in the industrial countries there was much uncertainty as to whether a man could get money but very little as to what it would do for him once he had it. In this [20th] century the problem of getting money, though it remains considerable, has diminished. In its place has come a new uncertainty as to what money, however acquired and accumulated, will be worth. Once, to have an income reliably denominated in money was thought…to be very comfortable. Of late, to have a fixed income is to be thought liable to impoverishment that may not be slow. What has happened to money?”

And the gold standard serves to create a limit on the expansion of the State, which is one reason why it is attractive to those who want a hard limit on the expansion of State power.

I think it is important to note hear that there were many shortcomings to the classical gold standard that we had in the 19th century and virtually no libertarians want an exact copy of those policies. We seek a new, 21st century hard money, or even the de-nationalization of money as Hayek proposed. Mistakes were undoubtedly made in the implementation and adherence to the gold standard in the 19th century, and we want to improve upon what we had then.

I've always wondered why there wasn't a popular left-wing "hard money" movement. Why wouldn't an independent, un-electable and audit-free group of private bankers having the power to expand the money supply at will and give low interest loans to private businesses and government not tend towards corruption and the enrichment of a privileged class at the expense of the middle class? This is in fact exactly what libertarians have been arguing. If you care for accountability in government whatsoever, there ought to be some limit to how much the money supply can be expanded on a whim. There is nothing special about gold inherently. It is simply a shiny metal and any other commodity or other mechanism which imposes discipline on monetary policy could suffice. Gold simply has a history of being chosen as money when people had the free choice of currency. It satisfies the requirements of money, being that it is divisible, durable, portable, scarce, etc.

Cool avatar, dude.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

jrodefeld posted:

We'll answer this after you answer why you support slave states and economic policies that inevitably lead to literal, actual chattel slavery?

(It's because you are a racist who loves slavery)

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

jrodefeld posted:

I get information from other sources...

No, you get the secondary sources that Mises.org rarely uses (and deliberately misuses) to reinforce their arguments you blubbering man-child.

jrodefeld posted:

...and I'm well aware of the conventional narrative. But you are making some errors here, the first of which is your assertion that the Great Depression was "the ultimate climax of the old laissez faire order". This is a rhetorical trick that is designed to make us forget that the Federal Reserve had been in existence for twenty years prior to this crisis intervening into the economy and expanding bank credit, especially in the "roaring" twenties. This is hardly an example of "laissez faire" and the Austrian explanation of the business cycle blames central banking and expansionary monetary policy for creating an artificial boom due to malinvestment which leads to an inevitable crash. This is what Ludwig von Mises blamed for the Great Depression, so to claim that we had a libertarian "laissez-faire" economy for the decade or two before the Great Depression is dishonest.

"Those historians don't know what their talking about!"

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
How much gold did Ron Paul sell you jrod?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

GunnerJ posted:

Cool avatar, dude.

Whoever did that is my new favorite person.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

jrodefeld posted:

the Austrian explanation of the business cycle blames central banking and expansionary monetary policy for creating an artificial boom due to malinvestment which leads to an inevitable crash. This is what Ludwig von Mises blamed for the Great Depression

It's hardly the only thing he was wrong about.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I stand corrected: bald assertions and citations of the closed, self-referential von Mises ecosystem.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Who What Now posted:

Whoever did that is my new favorite person.

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

You're a cool, person, Twerkteam. If you're ever in the Lansing area I'll buy you a drink.

Edit:

We should get a gang tag. The J-Crew.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Who What Now posted:

You're a cool, person, Twerkteam. If you're ever in the Lansing area I'll buy you a drink.

Edit:

We should get a gang tag. The J-Crew.

I really want someone to make one that's "The J-Rod Hit-Squad" myself.

I'll hit you up with a PM if I'm ever in the area.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

jrodefeld posted:

The Federal Reserve does not expand the money supply at will and has in fact not set target ranges for money supply growth in over 15 years.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Bryter posted:

The Federal Reserve does not expand the money supply at will and has in fact not set target ranges for money supply growth in over 15 years.

Wow, that whole argument was taken down in the length of a loving tweet. Jrod your response?

Caros
May 14, 2008

jrodefeld posted:

This man is wrong. Annual inflation and deflation under the gold standard was more wildly unpredictable and significant under the gold standard than under modern financial policy. Generally speaking in modern terms you can know that once you have money it will be worth tomorrow more or less exactly what it is worth today. Over the long term you know it will lose about 2-3% a year but that consistency is actually exactly what this asshat is talking about.

You can make an argument that money losing its value like that is 'bad' but replacing it with wild financial swings that can be up to 20% up or down in a year based on supply of shiny rocks is absurd.

Caros fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Feb 16, 2016

jrodefeld
Sep 22, 2012

by Shine

Literally The Worst posted:

hi jrode remember this post

it's the only time that you've ever addressed me, because you're a basic fuckin bitch with balls so tiny that if you put them in a drinking straw it'd look like kernels of corn rolling into a storm drain. you don't have the fuckin nads to address me unless i scream at you about what a loving piece of poo poo you are, and then you have the chutzpah to play internet tough guy.

so

now that we've established what a pussy rear end babyman you are, let's talk about minimum wage jobs, and how they're useless for getting better ones. tell me what your actual personal experience with these jobs is, because i would like to hear how your anecdote trumps mine. tell me about how dishwashing alone got you a job doing literally anything that wasn't for minimum wage or barely above (call center work, for example, paid me 10/hr. it was still a poo poo rear end job and i didnt really make enough to get by easily)

or are you too much of a chickenshit pansy to actually argue about things instead of just proclaiming them to be true, oval office

Read your own posts aloud and you'll see why I generally ignore them. But I'll make an exception because you touched on something I'd wanted to talk about anyway.

I worked jobs as a teenager. I had a paper route when I was 13. When I was 16 or so, I worked at McDonald's, hardly a cushy position. I worked at Taco Bell and I worked at Ralph's grocery stores. I worked at or slightly above minimum wage during those years. It didn't matter that much to me. I got a bit of money and saved some of it. I had some disposable income and got to hang out with my friends at work. I got a few pay raises but I never stayed at one job long enough to work my way up in any one establishment. But it is flatly untrue that there isn't a path upward in even retail companies. Every manager I ever talked to during those years started as a regular employee and worked their way up until they were making $30 an hour or whatever they made as manager. Now, nobody is claiming that managing a Taco Bell is the height of accomplishment, but management skills certainly translate to other occupations.

To claim that these starter jobs are worthless because there is no upward mobility and other, higher paying employers don't care one bit about your early work history is flatly false.

I got my first real, legitimate good job when I was 21 and still in college. Flipping burgers at McDonald's didn't translate "directly" skills-wise to what I was asked to do, but my references I believe proved the difference. The job was a computer engineer position, where I had to work with AutoCAD, do surveying and plot construction for a company that built buildings and managed construction in the town I lived in for a while. A bit of everything. The job paid $23 an hour, which is not bad for a 21 year old kid. I could pick my own hours, do the work on my own time. If I wanted to work 20 hours one week I could. If I wanted to work 40 the next and any time in between I could. No bosses looking over my shoulder, I got to chill in an air conditioned room listening to music and working on a computer, or take a company car around taking pictures and listening to music while I surveyed construction sites or took pictures.

I needed some elementary computer skills, which I had just picked up on my own, no degree or certification required.

It was a pretty sweet job at that time in my life and I was sad to have to let it go when I moved after a year or so. But I don't think for a minute that I would have gotten that job without the stellar references I had accumulated during my teenage years.

There are all kinds of reasons why an employer will choose one applicant over another. All other things being equal, the person who at twenty one already has a work history of over half a dozen jobs and stellar recommendations has a substantial advantage over another person who is applying for his or her first job. Believe me, any idiot could have quickly gotten the skills necessary to do that $23 an hour job. You don't need a college degree or substantial technical training in order to get any decent paying job. I learned a lot of it on the job because they were willing to take a chance that I could do so.

But I can guarantee one thing. If the minimum wage was $15 an hour when I was a teenager, I wouldn't have gotten any of those jobs. I wouldn't have had any money saved up by the time I was in my twenties, and I probably wouldn't have gotten that good job at 21.

Kicking out the first rung on the economic ladder doesn't really help people who need a first job before they can get a better job.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

Be wary, that's economic coercion, my friend!

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

The Cato institute ranked slave states more economically free than the US of A, but that doesn't mean I shouldn't uncritically rely on whatever they say about the economic history of the depression

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Instead of using gold for literally anything else, let us hoard it in large caverns underground, so we can enjoy its stability:

• Locked thread