Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

They wouldn't have been able to find anything anyway as that admin was using .aol accounts and poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Artix posted:

Speaking of Jeb and Trump, if you get a chance you should check out Jeb's new website at https://www.jebbush.com

The domain lapsed and Trump bought it up before Jeb could renew it, if it wasn't obvious.

I'm not sure where you're getting this expired domain narrative from, but Jeb Bush has never had control of jebbush.com and whoever does own it (not Trump) is redirecting it to wherever they want.

See also http://www.tedcruz.com

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Radish posted:

I don't think that they would have been able to actually act on it in 2001 but I don't think there would have been the unanimous support of the President we saw for Bush in the name of coming together as Americans.

I could see the Republicans fostering dissent, and it might, after a stupid impeachment and an attempt to steal an election reveal them as the unamerican frauds they are and result in backlash.

However, the right wing media was in full effect, so I think you're right, it'd become the big issue for 2004, which would be a repeat of 2000, with Bush claiming Gore isn't strong enough because he's not taking on Saddam. And I see Gore losing because the anti terror things he would do would turn off Nader voters like me, and with the media treating Gore like he stole the election and bungled it up, moderates would be willing to support Bush.

Maybe we're not in the Darkest timeline?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This of course assumes that 9/11 happens under a hypothetical President Gore.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Ironically in Alternate President Gore Earth if Gore prevents 9/11 no one would really understand how bad it was and what it led to meaning there would be no "Gore was able to keep us safe" narrative.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

...why green? :shobon:

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

zoux posted:

This of course assumes that 9/11 happens under a hypothetical President Gore.

Yeah, I don't necessarily see Gore managing to stop it, even given the memos. While he would have kept up Clinton's bombing to attack bin Laden, I I don't see that stopping it, and don't see him fixing the security system in 9 months that led to it.

Bush basically cluttered up deck chairs on the Titanic; he didn't help, but I don't think he personally led to it happening.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

feedmegin posted:

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

feedmegin posted:

I assume it's a reference to the Green Mountain Boys of Vermont (Green Mountain).

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

foobardog posted:

Yeah, I don't necessarily see Gore managing to stop it, even given the memos. While he would have kept up Clinton's bombing to attack bin Laden, I I don't see that stopping it, and don't see him fixing the security system in 9 months that led to it.

Bush basically cluttered up deck chairs on the Titanic; he didn't help, but I don't think he personally led to it happening.

I mean it's impossible to say, but to me the attack was such a perfect storm of various incompetences and negligences that any kind of change could've led to it being uncovered.

I personally don't put a huge amount of blame on the W admin for it because it was such an unbelievable and world shattering event that, without hindsight, may have in fact been impossible to prevent, memos notwithstanding.

Of course pretending like he kept us safe when 3k Americans died is pretty ridiculous but I'd be fine with them painting it as an unpreventable one-in-a-trillion moon shot since that's kind of what I think it is.

tldr 9/11 was an amazing accomplishment

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

zoux posted:

I mean it's impossible to say, but to me the attack was such a perfect storm of various incompetences and negligences that any kind of change could've led to it being uncovered.

I personally don't put a huge amount of blame on the W admin for it because it was such an unbelievable and world shattering event that, without hindsight, may have in fact been impossible to prevent, memos notwithstanding.

Of course pretending like he kept us safe when 3k Americans died is pretty ridiculous but I'd be fine with them painting it as an unpreventable one-in-a-trillion moon shot since that's kind of what I think it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPQlXNH36mI

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

zoux posted:

Even if you give him a pass on 9/11 there are the thousands of Americans who died in Iraq because "freedom", never mind the hundreds of Iraqis that died as well.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
The REAL USPol February: 9/11 was an amazing accomplishment

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

zoux posted:

Yeah, but that would imply some degree of humility instead of brazen historical revisionism.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

I would love a movie that pretended to be an A Team type movie up until the end where it shows that it was really about the 9/11 hijackers.

Though, I doubt most conservatives' ability to get the message.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bvl6spBVEc

rip daily show

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

LeeMajors posted:

:rolleyes:

Nothing I've said here is a reach.

The statement was gutwrenchingly awful and instead of being like 'hey guys maybe he just meant the democratic party :haw:' you should recognize that an elected official in a state with a long history of horrible subjugation of black people probably knows exactly how it sounded.

Look it's pretty clear that the guy who belongs to a whites only country club isn't using racist code words. I mean come on, really. It's definitely coincidence he mentioned hunting them with dogs and that using attack dogs on black people was a thing in our nation's history. I can't believe posters here actually think a guy like that could be racist. Perhaps it is truly the libs who are the real racists. :downs:

When I lived in Atlanta I heard "democrat" used to refer to people negatively and only ever by white people referring almost exclusively to minorities.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

SCOTUSblog saying Loretta Lynch most likely to get nomination.

:what:

The only pick that would be more idiotic would be Eric Holder.

Lynch was barely allowed in and the GOP would just point at her role as AG and say something like "look at how she attacks Real Americans and Jesus" and it's done. They will get a shitload of defense in the media and Obama will have given them the excuse they need to stonewall until President Trump can nominate Ted Cruz or something. Though a pick as bad as Lynch would be in line with Dems and their ability to waste a good opportunity.

Obama just needs to call the GOP's bluff by nominating Sandra Day O'Connor to return to the bench.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Evil Fluffy posted:

Lynch was barely allowed in and the GOP would just point at her role as AG and say something like "look at how she attacks Real Americans and Jesus" and it's done. They will get a shitload of defense in the media and Obama will have given them the excuse they need to stonewall until President Trump can nominate Ted Cruz or something.

This is not different from any other candidate. Like any one of Obama's judges could also be hit with "look at how they attack Real America by supporting abortion/preventing prayer in school/dumb bullshit/etc".

And you do know that O'Connor was a Reagan appointee right? There's no guarantee she'll actually do what the Democrats want.

computer parts fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Feb 16, 2016

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
So if there isn't a new SC Justice appointed until the election, will voter turnout be higher? I assume not.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

MacheteZombie posted:

So if there isn't a new SC Justice appointed until the election, will voter turnout be higher? I assume not.

Oh I think it energizes social policy voters of both parties pretty well, and high turnout elections favor democrats.

I mean this is Roe v Wade at stake after all.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
I hope Obama nominates Ted Cruz just so we can have the entire GOP establishment have a heart attack and so Trump can rant on Twitter about how Ted Cruz's own party can handle the thought of him in the judiciary.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

How do the US marshals have the time to be doing this?

You just know this is going to end in someone dying, because generally when armed people surround your house, and you have a gun, things don't tend to end well.

Secret Machine
Jun 20, 2005

What the Hell?

Logikv9 posted:

I hope Obama nominates Ted Cruz just so we can have the entire GOP establishment have a heart attack and so Trump can rant on Twitter about how Ted Cruz's own party can handle the thought of him in the judiciary.

That sounds like a dangerous game of brinkmanship. Also, can a Canadian serve on the Supreme Court?

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

Secret Machine posted:

That sounds like a dangerous game of brinkmanship. Also, can a Canadian serve on the Supreme Court?

Unlike the President, there's no Constitutional requirements for Justices. Of course, that's because the framers blew their load on the legislative and executive articles, and the judicial article seems like an afterthought.

The Bill of Rights is a halfhearted fingering when Columbia pointed out she had not gotten off yet.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Logikv9 posted:

While hilarious, the downside is that runs the real risk of Justice Cruz. That's like lighting a match in a room so your don't trip over the opened boxes of gunpowder.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

FlamingLiberal posted:

How do the US marshals have the time to be doing this?

You just know this is going to end in someone dying, because generally when armed people surround your house, and you have a gun, things don't tend to end well.

This is really ridiculous as gently caress. How the gently caress is the US Marshall service at the beck and call of private debt collectors to haul you in to jail and court on their say so with no rights being read and at gun point. I mean, holy poo poo, we are approaching debt prison crap here.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Khisanth Magus posted:

This is really ridiculous as gently caress. How the gently caress is the US Marshall service at the beck and call of private debt collectors to haul you in to jail and court on their say so with no rights being read and at gun point.

They're enforcing a judgment because the debtor got sued for defaulting and didn't show up in court, if I had to guess.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Obama's war on whites continues apace

quote:

Last week Keith Humphreys noted something interesting: although incarceration rates have gone down recently, the absolute level of white incarceration has risen while the absolute level of black incarceration has fallen. But that's for prisons. What about local jails?

Same thing, it turns out. Since 2009, the number of white jail inmates has gone up by about 30,000 while the black jail population has gone down by 40,000. Humphreys comments: "In short, if you broaden the lens of analysis from prisons to include jails, the patterns I wrote about are even stronger: Being behind bars is becoming a less common experience for African-Americans and a more common experience for non-Hispanic Whites."

I don't quite know what this means, but it's an interesting tidbit of data. Blacks are still in jail (and prison) at a higher relative rate than whites, but since 2009 that's at least starting to reverse a little.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

OAquinas posted:

While hilarious, the downside is that runs the real risk of Justice Cruz. That's like lighting a match in a room so your don't trip over the opened boxes of gunpowder.

While this would obviously never happen outside my fanfictions of Best Troll President Obama, can't he just withdraw their nomination if the joke went too far?

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.
Looks like the debt collection agency (which bought the federal loans) took him to court and then the court issued an order for the Marshals to get him since he was delinquent. By showing up at his home with guns, he probably means they showed up while carrying, which is to be expected since they're law enforcement.

This sentence is just funny to read, though:

quote:

He says seven deputy US Marshals showed up at his home with guns and took him to federal court where he had to sign a payment plan for the 29-year-old school loan.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

Logikv9 posted:

While this would obviously never happen outside my fanfictions of Best Troll President Obama, can't he just withdraw their nomination if the joke went too far?

Cruz literally believes that God chose him to save America, and feels his best moment in life was arguing a terrible thing in front of the Supreme Court as Texas AG. I think he'd take the job with gusto.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Logikv9 posted:

Interesting question!
I think once it hits congress and they vote, it's locked in. Maybe even upon submission--every time a person "drops out" of a nomination that I've heard of (that's made it into committee), it's by request of the nominee to remove themselves from consideration.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

New PPP poll of SC GOP voters is out and here are some results that don't relate to candidates, avoiding primarychat.

64% have a good opinion of George W. Bush
60% want to ban Muslims from entering US
20% want to ban homosexuals from entering US
29% want to shut down all mosques
47% want to establish a national Muslim database
25% want to send Muslims to internment camps
23% support Japanese internment in WW2
29% wish the South won the Civil War
10% believe whites are a superior race

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Luigi Thirty posted:

New PPP poll of SC GOP voters is out and here are some results that don't relate to candidates, avoiding primarychat.

:eyepop:

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Luigi Thirty posted:

South Carolina: America's taint.

sexy fucking muskrat
Aug 22, 2010

by exmarx

Luigi Thirty posted:

Honestly kinda surprised it's only 10%.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Luigi Thirty posted:

10% seems low for SC republicans.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

Luigi Thirty posted:

That's... Kind of heartening? Like I'd prefer it if no one thought that explicitly, but that's less than I expected.

I think it'd be higher if it was phrased as "are blacks an inferior race?"

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Khisanth Magus posted:

This is really ridiculous as gently caress. How the gently caress is the US Marshall service at the beck and call of private debt collectors to haul you in to jail and court on their say so with no rights being read and at gun point. I mean, holy poo poo, we are approaching debt prison crap here.

Well, we practically have a revival of company scrip vis a vis depositing paychecks into company pay cards as is the case with Wal-Mart, AMC Theaters, and other chains, so...

E: It is scary though to think of a pseudo-privatized co-option of governmental force like the Pinkertons to crack heads making a comeback.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Feb 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Logikv9 posted:

Nah, offer the position to Jeb. Not only is he a flaming liberal compared to Cruz (outside of his personal love of vegetables and the family longing for eternal war in the mideast, but the latter's at least not something he can really prosecute effectively in the Supreme Court) but Obama would get to offer it as a consolation prize for losing the election. :v:

• Locked thread