Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

rediscover posted:

there's a shitload of enemies that do the wind up being a little longer than you expect thing in dark souls 2, and i don't like it at all. it feels like they're just trying to trick you and that's a gay way to make things hard.

It's no different than the move coming out faster or slower, it's just different. It would be another thing if a boss changed timings randomly, rendering it impossible to reliably learn the fight, but thankfully that concept doesn't exist in any of the games afaik

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
yeah it might just be that im bad. but it feels like the animations try to trick you, not just that they're longer than you might be anticipating. idk it may be because im quicker to smack talk design decisions in ds2 and tjat i don't remember noticing that in any of the other games

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's a curveball because in the other games it's largely that the tells get shorter and shorter as the game goes on (think about the hollows in Under Parish vs basically any enemy post-Lordvessel) and Sir Alonne just screwed with my expectations. It's really cool that his death animation changes if you get a flawless kill and now I wanna know if any other boss does that in the souls games

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
i think he's the only one

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

he also bows back to you if you bow to him

and fume knight, if you read the stuff on his items he had some disagreements with Velstadt. if you go into the boss chamber wearing his helmet he enters his second phase immediately

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Bobnumerotres posted:

he also bows back to you if you bow to him

and fume knight, if you read the stuff on his items he had some disagreements with Velstadt. if you go into the boss chamber wearing his helmet he enters his second phase immediately

The touches in this game

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Iron passage, more like iron poo poo.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The path that they designed for you to run through is harder to run through than the long path

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
I swear blue smelter demon has a slightly different rhythm than the red one. It's getting me killed

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Turns out he does... that's pretty cheap

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Average Bear posted:

I swear blue smelter demon has a slightly different rhythm than the red one. It's getting me killed

Lol yeah, it's slightly slower, with larger sized attacks too

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I beat the four kings and did the painted world although I didn't fight the boss, she seemed too friendly. I'm in Sanctuary Garden now. Any other parts I should check out before heading for the finish?

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

Aston posted:

I beat the four kings and did the painted world although I didn't fight the boss, she seemed too friendly.

good. have you gone down the tree in Blighttown?

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
took down dirty colossus, which was pretty easy. the gimmick of burning off the gnats was cool, and i figured it out without any soapstone. i liked it.

i got the moonlight greatsword right before him too and leveled my way into using it. apparently colorless arch-demon souls are hard to come by tho...

i used the thief ring i found in valley, and that made old hero very, very easy. if i ever play this again i'd probably make a point of not using that.

storm king was another gimmick fight, but it was cool enough. i keep wondering how well i'd be doing at these fights if i didn't have essentially 50 estus flasks on tap.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
the bosses feel different for some reason. i guess it's a lot of things, but the main thing is that all of the big attacks are super easy to roll through, it's been real easy to get to the back of everything, and there's also the obvious issue of having as much healing as you care to grind for. it seems like you could play super conservative w/ sorcery too if you really wanted to (that's true of everything except bloodborne and the DS2 expansions too tho). maybe everything's slower? there are a lot more gimmick fights too, which is actually sort of cool. it feels like i'm playing a really fun D&D module that someone cooked up.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

sector_corrector posted:

the bosses feel different for some reason. i guess it's a lot of things, but the main thing is that all of the big attacks are super easy to roll through, it's been real easy to get to the back of everything, and there's also the obvious issue of having as much healing as you care to grind for. it seems like you could play super conservative w/ sorcery too if you really wanted to (that's true of everything except bloodborne and the DS2 expansions too tho). maybe everything's slower? there are a lot more gimmick fights too, which is actually sort of cool. it feels like i'm playing a really fun D&D module that someone cooked up.

i think that the gimmicky nature of everything is probably because you can do it all in any order and its a fun way to make bosses challenging no matter what point in your playthrough you encounter them. at least thats the feeling i get, i like it as well

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
http://store.steampowered.com/app/374320/

It's up... 8% discount ftw.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is it weird that I really hope the Elite Knight set is in this game too. I really love the chestpiece with it's cool blue surcoat. I know some sets in DS1 are in DS2 also, but I don't know how much they preserved between games because I want to go as blind as possible as far as the content goes.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Next on the docket is Bloodborne. I already killed Cleric Beast and Gascoigne over the weekend because I needed a break from DSII for a bit, and now I'm off to BSB. Started as a noble scion with the whip, this is going to be my Chikage character. Plan is to kill BSB and use the souls to open the path to Amelia, then go from Amelia directly to Logarius and summon help to beat him ASAP so I can have Chikage for most of the game

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
you can solo him if you go through cainhurst properly, you get enough coldbloods and echoes in cainhurst that you can probably reach level 30 or more before you fight him. so itll be moderately rough but not too hard

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
plus u gotta kill the witches to get to cainhurst as well/

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I.N.R.I posted:

plus u gotta kill the witches to get to cainhurst as well/

Oh I didn't actually know this, hadn't tried to get him this early. I'll probably try him a few times, I know the parry winndows but I don't think I'll be able to damage him enough to stop the 2nd phase transform which is where it might get tricky, unless all you need is a backstab and it's not a stagger style stop

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
since youre going to be using the chikage you can lvl skill up first which helps your visceral dmg. i could be wrong but my viscerals do a lot more dmg on my high skill characters

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
yeah you can stop it with a visceral

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I made it to The One Reborn yesterday but then got killed. hosed up design for a boss

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Big gross flesh monsters ftw. The Rotten in DSII may be an easy boss but it's hosed up to look at

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i've always had trouble with the rotten, despite the fact i recognize he's easy for most people. idk what it is. swing timing, maybe?

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

In Training posted:

Big gross flesh monsters ftw. The Rotten in DSII may be an easy boss but it's hosed up to look at

Invaded by Dark Spirit Turn Your Monitor On

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

sector_corrector posted:

i've always had trouble with the rotten, despite the fact i recognize he's easy for most people. idk what it is. swing timing, maybe?

He's not a super hard boss but his player tracking is particularly annoying

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
He gets a pass because he has little undead hands for feet. He can actually spin like that.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Nito, the Rotten and the One Reborn should all hang out together sometime

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial

In Training posted:

I like the variety. Like how you fight Gaping Dragon and Sif in the same game

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

sector_corrector posted:

I just got used to it because I've probably killed the rotten 30+ times with ascetics to skip the first half of the game and go directly to Drangleic since you can run from beginning of NG+ to the rotten in <10 minutes and farm a million souls from him

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
man i never feel like i do enough damage in dark souls 2

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

going from bloodborne to scholar is interesting.. im trying to create a dex characters and its much funner than tanking it liike i did the first time i played it

e: more fun

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i'm assuming i'm about to do the old monk fight, since i just saw a guy sitting on a big pile of chairs wrap a guy in a towel.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ah darn that's the one I wanted to be online for. Ah well, cest la vie

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i can wait, unless you only get the chance before the cutscene. i didn't fight anything and went back to the archstone. i'm currently killing red eye knights so that i can get the cat ring.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Doctor Goat posted:

man i never feel like i do enough damage in dark souls 2

normal enemies have a lot of hp. but then bosses have dark souls 1 style health bars QQ. although they do have a lot more hp in ng+ at least

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Don't let me hold you back, it's really not the end of the world

• Locked thread