Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
You can make fan stuff and get away with it and even get money out of it if you aren't a jackass. For instance TeamFourStar makes DBZ Abridged, and they don't get cease and desisted. Not because Funimation are great nice guys, but because their project isn't named after the show, their logo is generic and not instantly identifiable as the franchise they parody, they have other projects they do they can legitimately say they are raising money for, and none of their merchandise contains any Funimation or Toriyama IP.

Super Mario Z takes other people's art, slaps it on a t-shirt uncredited, and says original content do not steal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Nintendo also gives fan creations a ton of slack. They'll even give a little slack to youtubers. You basically have to go way over the line like Super Mario Z did to get their attention enough to make you take it down. I mean there's an entire website dedicated to making Mario fangames that Nintendo just ignores. And Project M they let go for a long time until, I imagine, they started adding in brand new characters (I don't think they ever revealed the actual reason Project M was taken down)

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I imagine in this new age of Patreons everywhere we'll hear more and more about these sorts of things. As everyone realizes there could be some money in their fan-made creations, plenty of people won't understand they shouldn't be making money off their projects directly.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

FPzero posted:

I imagine in this new age of Patreons everywhere we'll hear more and more about these sorts of things. As everyone realizes there could be some money in their fan-made creations, plenty of people won't understand they shouldn't be making money off their projects directly.

A lot of the "shock" reaction seems to be from people who didn't believe someone could actually tell Patreon to pull down a page, just like how they can do it with Kickstarter, with YouTube...

Like when someone is told for the first time that buying a game doesn't actually mean you own everything inside the cartridge/disk/data to do whatever with, they seem bewildered by this development.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Like when someone is told for the first time that buying a game doesn't actually mean you own everything inside the cartridge/disk/data to do whatever with, they seem bewildered by this development.

While this is definitely true I feel like the reason Nintendo hasn't gone after romhacking is because no one's been dumb enough to try and charge money for romhacks. I mean, romhacking is already an at least legally-gray area. Other companies haven't been so kind to romhacks though. I remember years back a popular and relatively looked-forward-to Chrono Trigger romhack was given a C&D by Square Enix right as it was finishing development. People had about the same reactions then as they do now, though in that situation I don't believe there was any record of them attempting to monetize their hack and some went so far as to wonder if the C&D was even real and not just some sort of escape clause the devs made up because it turns out they hadn't been working on it for years (I don't know if this is true either).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FPzero posted:

While this is definitely true I feel like the reason Nintendo hasn't gone after romhacking is because no one's been dumb enough to try and charge money for romhacks. I mean, romhacking is already an at least legally-gray area. Other companies haven't been so kind to romhacks though. I remember years back a popular and relatively looked-forward-to Chrono Trigger romhack was given a C&D by Square Enix right as it was finishing development. People had about the same reactions then as they do now, though in that situation I don't believe there was any record of them attempting to monetize their hack and some went so far as to wonder if the C&D was even real and not just some sort of escape clause the devs made up because it turns out they hadn't been working on it for years (I don't know if this is true either).

The romhack thing was almost certainly the result of internal drama, not actual "S-E wanted to ruin us" stuff.

There was another thing which SE did C&D but that is because they were planning to use it (Chrono Trigger Resurrection) as a marketing tool for an engine they were creating. The two tend to get connected as "the Chrono Trigger project Square-Enix UNFAIRLY SHUT DOWN" but in both cases it's bullshit.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Feb 16, 2016

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Does anyone here use Wii U homebrew on your Wii? what do you use it for?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

Creepy Steeple had a strong start and some great stuff going on in it, but the amount of backtracking back and forth through the same areas with nothing changed really killed it for me. I don't remember paper mario having anywhere near as much awful backtracking padding as thousand year door did

There's flower fields. But yeah while ttyd is a much stronger game as a whole, paper mario generally has better "dungeons"

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Did Mario Remaker or whatever it's called get shut down?

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

What is that question

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think flower field doesn't even have much if any backtracking if you know the order of stuff to do ahead of time.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Looper posted:

There's flower fields. But yeah while ttyd is a much stronger game as a whole, paper mario generally has better "dungeons"

With flower fields, iirc most of it was just figuring out where to go, you were usually exploring new areas (and then backtracking to the hub through said areas), while thousand year door had like...

The creepy steeple poo poo
The general white hunt

I don't think there were any other big backtracking segments of the game, but boy do those 2 parts stick out. Back and forth across the same exact path with no changes in creepy steeple destroyed most of the pacing and the general white hunt was just pointless padding

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Does anyone here use Wii U homebrew on your Wii? what do you use it for?

You mean Wii homebrew on Wii U, right?

Running Wii/GC games from external storage is an obvious application.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Running Wii/GC games from external storage is an obvious application.

Also emulators. Some of them even support Wii U Pro controllers which is cool.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

With flower fields, iirc most of it was just figuring out where to go, you were usually exploring new areas (and then backtracking to the hub through said areas), while thousand year door had like...

The general white hunt

I don't think there were any other big backtracking segments of the game, but boy do those 2 parts stick out. Back and forth across the same exact path with no changes in creepy steeple destroyed most of the pacing and the general white hunt was just pointless padding

there's the stuff with the rose, but yeah it's not that bad. flower fields mostly just seemed like a less interesting retread of shy guy's toybox in terms of design

it's not backtracking but *takes a deep breath* i don't like the glitz pit

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
TTYD has the better boss fights and the hub area as well. Plus I loved how gigantic and deep the sewers felt, especially after you began to unlock new modes of moving about. I liked that it was a game where exploring was rewarded in really neat ways, like going into the backgrounds to do platforming. They were really having a great time exploring what you could do with the "paper" style.

Honestly, TTYD and even Paper Mario Wii seem bursting with great ideas. Why is it that the franchise suddenly feels so rudderless today?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I liked the star spirits in paper mario more than the crystal stars in thousand year door

I dont remember anything about either of them except that I liked the star spirits' designs

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Looper posted:

I don't think this is true, I think Paper Mario has more consistently good dungeons, but TTYD has a few (chapters 3 and 6) that stand out as the best in the entire series.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Honestly, TTYD and even Paper Mario Wii seem bursting with great ideas. Why is it that the franchise suddenly feels so rudderless today?

Paper Jam is a good game, even though it's really a M&L title. Sticker Star was kind of the bland one, and that game was still fun.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

The general white hunt

General White sucked but the X-Naut base was amazing and had some of the best dungeon music in the series.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

I like the Star Spirits better since they had personally. Like Skolar being able to escape Tubba on his own, Muskular thanking Twink for helping Mario. and Misstar saving your rear end from lava and yelled at Kolorado

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

I don't think this is true, I think Paper Mario has more consistently good dungeons, but TTYD has a few (chapters 3 and 6) that stand out as the best in the entire series.

glitzville isn't a dungeon, it's a series of gimmicky fights that goes on too long and people remember it fondly because of yoshi and the rawk (and my boy king k)

ttyd has a better battle system (the stage and style stuff owns), better partners, better bosses, better writing, better aesthetics, better lots of things, but sometimes i'm playing through it and think of individual sections and think hm maybe this isn't perfect

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Looper posted:

glitzville isn't a dungeon, it's a series of gimmicky fights that goes on too long and people remember it fondly because of yoshi and the rawk (and my boy king k)

ttyd has a better battle system (the stage and style stuff owns), better partners, better bosses, better writing, better aesthetics, better lots of things, but sometimes i'm playing through it and think of individual sections and think hm maybe this isn't perfect

The Glitz Pit definitely goes on for a long loving time, but it is packed with so much personality that it really does suck you in on a first playthrough, so I can't fault it too badly for being kind of slow-paced. It's a great build-up to its climax, and you really feel like you've accomplished something, which is a great feeling for a game to give you. It's the only part really like that; the only other really narrative-heavy chapter is the train chapter, and that one is totally different and totally awesome too.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Toilet Paper Mario

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Toilet Paper Mario

This is mario rendered in the engine that activision uses for CoD.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

8-Bit Scholar posted:

The Glitz Pit definitely goes on for a long loving time, but it is packed with so much personality that it really does suck you in on a first playthrough, so I can't fault it too badly for being kind of slow-paced. It's a great build-up to its climax, and you really feel like you've accomplished something, which is a great feeling for a game to give you. It's the only part really like that; the only other really narrative-heavy chapter is the train chapter, and that one is totally different and totally awesome too.

yeah the writing is amazing! but beneath it all you've got are the battle rooms from smrpg

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

FirstAidKite posted:

The general white hunt

Nah, TTYD had backtracking in almost every chapter. With chapter 2 you walked back and forth before the tree a bunch of times. In chapter 5 you also needed to go to the beginning 2 or 3 times after reaching a certain point (closed cave, and something else I can't remember). Everything in the train makes you walk from very beginning to the very end. Almost every chapter had a straight path that you walked left and right on.
I hated Flower Fields when I played Paper Mario for the first time, but it seems like a masterpiece compared to TTYD's design, because that game would've just given you a a bunch of dead ends on a straight path with all the keys being at the beginning.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Toilet Paper Mario

what the gently caress?!

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I beat Paper Jam last week and I feel like it's a very bland and average title. Not offensively bad like Sticker Star or Partners in Time, but it gets weighed down a lot by obnoxious Paper Toad fetch quests, no original characters, and the Papercraft battles just being boring.

Final boss was cool though

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

I beat Paper Jam last week and I feel like it's a very bland and average title. Not offensively bad like Sticker Star or Partners in Time, but it gets weighed down a lot by obnoxious Paper Toad fetch quests, no original characters, and the Papercraft battles just being boring.

Yeah everything the Paper Mario half of the crossover brings to the game (Paper Toad searching and chasing, the godawful Papercraft battles) just bring the game as a whole down. Paper Mario sadly continues its streak of suckage on the 3DS.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
But are we getting a Wii U sequel??

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Yes, Super Paper Mario 2

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Sticker Star HD

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
nooooo :(

I just beat the first Paper Mario last week after paying the Wii-to-U transfer tax earlier in the month and I'm jonesing for a proper sequel to TTYD. Surely Nintendo have data on how many people are spending time playing the VC N64 version.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
Welp, no Direct announced today either. Guess we'll have to wait a while longer.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Looper posted:

yeah the writing is amazing! but beneath it all you've got are the battle rooms from smrpg

At least a good chunk of the battles were kind of unique or interesting enemy combinations. I liked all the goofy team names too. It somehow took a very common anime cliche (tournament arc) and played it completely straight but somehow managed to make it not anime and feel right at home in Mario World

Really the trouble was that Rawk Hawk should have been a legitimately tough match, I feel like he's a bit too easy. It allows them to set up the reveal of the REAL big boss, but ehhhh I wanted to get RAWKED

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Dunban posted:

Welp, no Direct announced today either. Guess we'll have to wait a while longer.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
No February Direct makes me feel like 2016 will be fairly anemic on releases for the current consoles. :smith: Still got #FE and Zelda i guess...

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

No February Direct makes me feel like 2016 will be fairly anemic on releases for the current consoles. :smith: Still got #FE and Zelda i guess...

And Pokkén Tournament and Star Fox Zero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

less laughter posted:

and Star Fox Zero.

well... maybe

• Locked thread