Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

less laughter posted:

And Pokkén Tournament and Star Fox Zero.

I mean, yeah, those are hype and all but the only fighting game i'm into at all is Smash (I will watch the hell out of the Pokken tournament at EVO tho) and the rumor about SF0 being delayed again due to QA issues is making me doubt the title will be that great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spellman
May 31, 2011

They just sapped all that was interesting out of Paper Mario in the newer efforts. Paper Mario has always been a love letter to Yoshi's Island and Super Mario RPG, but Sticker Star kind of ruined that.

And now they're doing it to Mario & Luigi too.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
It's baffling because I feel like a Mario RPG is easily the most unconstrained thing you could make. Just basically anything could be used in it. You could go to space, you could have Mario get shrunk to a tiny size, you could have Mario go into a volcano or a swamp or a castle or a lake or whatever the gently caress you want. A world of candy sure. A giant mushroom tower FINE a magical race of talking mushrooms OF COURSE

I mean, poo poo, Cucumber Quest is a perfect example of taking a Mario RPG's aesthetics and applying it to basically whatever you wanted. They should just hire that gigi D chick to do a bunch of concept art for a Mario RPG and then just make that.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Definitely. I mean I have an idea as to why they'd make these choices. You look at some of their most creative titles like Galaxy and they don't sell as nearly as well as New Super Mario Bros. NSMBW is one of their best selling titles, ever. So let's standardize the look and feel of Mario games across the board so they're more accessible to fans of Mario.

It's like a branding thing I guess.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Spellman posted:

And now they're doing it to Mario & Luigi too.

If you're referring to the lack or original characters or whatever, that was a decision on AlphaDream's end, due to issues with handling the crossover.

Also, Paper Jam is a fun game.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

Tatsuta Age posted:

well... maybe

Yeah man I read Star Fox Zero is going to be delayed 18 more time suntil 2018. dO you want to know where I read it. Well I didn't. But I'm gonna say it anyway, because I'm a dumbass

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Dr. Fetus posted:

Only the Mario & Luigi parts are. The Paper Mario stuff such as Paper Toad chasing/searching and the Papercraft battles are tedious and anti-fun.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Dr. Fetus posted:

If you're referring to the lack or original characters or whatever, that was a decision on AlphaDream's end, due to issues with handling the crossover.

No it's not just that, it's like they hosed up the art style. M&L had a very distinct way of drawing the original Mario characters, it was goofy. Now it's literally just how they look in the original games.

It's like Bowser's face is stuck like that. It just sucks.

It was ugly by design, but wonderfully animated.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Petey Pirahna is bad no matter how you draw him

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Bowser has some over the top cartoon expressions in Paper Jam, you're just posting his normal talk cycle jeez.

Not arguing the entire point as I do miss stuff like Cackletta's huge battle sprite and stuff in general but goofy expressions and whatnot are still everywhere.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
no you don't understand *wheels out board plastered with pictures of different mario rpgs with strings connecting them* let's start from the beginning

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

absolutely anything posted:

no you don't understand *wheels out board plastered with pictures of different mario rpgs with strings connecting them* let's start from the beginning

The Miyamoto Conspiracy

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I actually am legit surprised to see someone complain about the Dream Team/Paper Jam art style though, the Mario + Luigi sprites/models/whatever are especially great

People would probably stop complaining about the NSMB games so much if they looked like that

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Mario ready to punch some fuckers

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Help Im Alive posted:

Petey Pirahna is bad no matter how you draw him
You won't like what they have planned next year

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

absolutely anything posted:

now then *holds up paper mario and a metroid* who hurt you more

Spellman
May 31, 2011

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Bowser has some over the top cartoon expressions in Paper Jam, you're just posting his normal talk cycle jeez.

Not arguing the entire point as I do miss stuff like Cackletta's huge battle sprite and stuff in general but goofy expressions and whatnot are still everywhere.
No seriously, they're about to break out into a fight there. But yea I mean he gets angry, but it's very subdued compared to the older games, even Dream Team.

Help Im Alive posted:

I actually am legit surprised to see someone complain about the Dream Team/Paper Jam art style though, the Mario + Luigi sprites/models/whatever are especially great

People would probably stop complaining about the NSMB games so much if they looked like that
Yea, they're awesome. Actually at the start of the game when Luigi was fixing the wall, the way that whole scene was done and animated, I thought that I was really gonna like Paper Jam. It was great.

Spellman fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Feb 17, 2016

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Spellman posted:

No seriously, they're about to break out into a fight there. But yea I mean he gets angry, but it's very subdued compared to the older games, even Dream Team.

But his Dream Team sprites were reused? Dream Team was kind of where they started making the sprites a bit more consistent with the main series. I kind of get what you're saying, but you're not really using a good example there.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Spellman posted:

You won't like what they have planned next year

2003 was pretty much the year of Petey already.

You were still thinkin' about his role from Sunshine the year prior, then he started showing up everywhere like in Golf and Double Dash.

And he'll never be in a Mario Kart again.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Dr. Fetus posted:

But his Dream Team sprites were reused? Dream Team was kind of where they started making the sprites a bit more consistent.
Not for Bowser. Yes for Wriggler, yes for Piranhas, yes for Mario & Luigi. They redrew Bowser.

In Dream Team, they frequently used animation smears and gave the characters expressions as they did in the older games.

Spellman fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Feb 17, 2016

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Put the Tingle game on Virtual Console, Nintendo.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Put the Tingle game on Virtual Console, Nintendo.

I imported it and it's not very good. I know this is a joke but I'd just like everyone to know.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

mabels big day posted:

I imported it and it's not very good. I know this is a joke but I'd just like everyone to know.

he's right, it's not very good: it's very very good

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Rosy Rupeeland is a fun game that I enjoy.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

put Captain Rainbow, Earth Seeker, and that other Chibi Robo game on VC

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

mabels big day posted:

It's the only Mario RPG worth playing.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

less laughter posted:

And Pokkén Tournament and Star Fox Zero.

Speaking of Pokkén Tournament, , EB Games and Gamestop have the Pokkén Tournament Controller up for preorder if anyone wants it.

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

If you haven't done so yet, you can pre-register your My Nintendo Account

https://accounts.nintendo.com/

quote:

You'll also earn My Nintendo Platinum Points for pre-registering. When Miitomo launches in March 2016, sign in to the My Nintendo website to receive your points. My Nintendo points can be redeemed for various My Nintendo rewards.

http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/15997

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I was scrolling through my news feed and saw this:

http://mynintendonews.com/2016/02/17/an-analyst-said-nintendo-cannot-be-acquired/

Nintendo Cannot Be Acquired. Apparently it would be super costly for anyone to try. It's also cute that Nintendo doesn't want to buy other companies as well.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Jonas Albrecht posted:

http://mynintendonews.com/2016/02/17/an-analyst-said-nintendo-cannot-be-acquired/

Nintendo Cannot Be Acquired. Apparently it would be super costly for anyone to try. It's also cute that Nintendo doesn't want to buy other companies as well.

You fell for a clickbait article.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

The Taint Reaper posted:

You fell for a clickbait article.

I did. I'm human.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I did. I'm human.

a miserable pile of secrets.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

The Taint Reaper posted:

a miserable pile of secrets.

Dracula should write for Depeche Mode.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I got in and set up my account. There's not much to say about it.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Jonas Albrecht posted:

i spent like 10 minutes rambling about video games to my friend who is Not A Gamer today so shout out to her for tolerating mebut during that time i realized that nintendos strength is mainly its franchises. sure it deserves credit for always taking gaming in unique directions but like think. how many times have you seen that they're releasing a game in a series you love on a console you don’t have and you’re like well poo poo. now i have to go buy that console. (legend of zelda) without its famous franchises i don''t think nintendo would be as successful as it is. meanwhile sony and microsoft generally get away with not having any specific landmark franchises but are still successful bc they'e quality, versatile gaming platforms. idk i just think nintendo should take that into account and really start delivering on that front if they wanna bounce back from the wii u

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yeah or they could make a Tempura Wizard Amiibo.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

there should be a japanese game show where you have to suffer more and more gamer indignities in order to play the new zelda

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

dogsicle posted:

put Captain Rainbow on VC

Oh yeah that would be....fun to see them try and bring over in our current climate.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Super No Vacancy posted:

there should be a japanese game show where you have to suffer more and more gamer indignities in order to play the new zelda

I don't think anyone wants to see another game show about marriage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I like having Nintendo around as a hardware maker, honestly.

I am curious though, if Nintendo were to just sit one out and make a game for Sony, just for Sony, how much control over that game's development would Sony have?

• Locked thread