Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

XboxPants posted:

You need to establish the hierarchy so you can tell which characters (or your dad) can beat up.

My dad can beat up Akira Toriyama. I keep asking him not to.

Quote for new page. Also, I really liked it.

ThNextGreenLantern fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Feb 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I don't mind the relative lack of jokes as it was actually a pretty good abridging of the Vegeta vs Perfect Cell fight and we finally got the Faulconer score for Final Flash alongside OH poo poo so it's now by default the definitive version of the scene

Also I'm glad even the noted dub haters TFS could appreciate how good the Super Saiyan Vegeta theme was for that scene, that's the only thing I really hoped they would take from the old US release and it worked great

No Dignity fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Feb 16, 2016

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
That was a pretty good episode. The dodge joke finally paid off so good in my book. :colbert: Plus Goku's face of glee when Gohan turns SSJ was great.

And I do love Vegeta's SSJ Faulconer score. That was great how they edited the Final Flash.

I mean the original was what? Like a half an episode for him to shoot it?

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Feb 16, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

multijoe posted:

I don't mind the relative lack of jokes as it was actually a pretty good abridging of the Vegeta vs Perfect Cell fight and we finally got the Faulconer score for Final Flash alongside OH poo poo so it's now by default the definitive version of the scene

Also I'm glad even the noted dub haters TFS could appreciate how good the Super Saiyan Vegeta theme was for that scene, that's the only thing I really hoped they would take from the old US release and it worked great

I never got the impression TFS hated the dub. Their entire abridged series is kind of a love letter to it. They have strong opinions on certain things but they also have a near-encyclopedic knowledge of injokes and references to it.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I don't know if they hate the dub or not but it be awkward if they did since Christopher Sabat is right there. "Hey, you're a nice guy even though we HATE your work!"

ImpAtom posted:

I never got the impression TFS hated the dub. Their entire abridged series is kind of a love letter to it. They have strong opinions on certain things but they also have a near-encyclopedic knowledge of injokes and references to it.

The Buttlord GT approach to parody, if you will.

mycot fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Feb 16, 2016

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
If they hated the dub, the voices they decide to go for wouldn't be very close to the dub themselves now would it?

I mean yeah Goku is different, but Vegeta/Piccolo is pretty close. (before Kai that is)

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Okay maybe hater is a strong term but I always got the impression they prefered original Japanese material than the translation, in any case I'm happy with how things panned out for this episode

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Shindragon posted:

If they hated the dub, the voices they decide to go for wouldn't be very close to the dub themselves now would it?

It'd defeat the point of doing a parody for the purpose of entertaining English speaking Dragonball fans if they went with original voices that were entirely different for everyone. To the point of it probably dying out early if they had done so, so in that sense, whether they like the dub or not is irrelevant. They needed reasonable impersonations for the audience's sake because they're close enough that you can associate it with the real deal while it still being clearly it's own thing.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Perfect cell is great, Vegeta is as good as always. Goku and Gohan remain painfully unfunny.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I swear to god Cell reminds me of Handsome Jack now and that may actually be a gag since they had the same vas

Good episode

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I am excited to see how, if at all, Trunks's character changes when he becomes Titan Trunks next episode.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Cell good episode bad

Majinfoose
Jul 26, 2007

HOLY SHIT
This vegan brisket is bussin

multijoe posted:

Okay maybe hater is a strong term but I always got the impression they prefered original Japanese material than the translation, in any case I'm happy with how things panned out for this episode

I think KaiserNeko is the one that prefers the original version, while the others prefer the funi dub.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Baal posted:

I swear to god Cell reminds me of Handsome Jack now and that may actually be a gag since they had the same vas

Good episode

:stare:

Please tell me you are not kidding.

Also yes Kaiser is very much prefers the japanese score more so than the dub, but hey they showed some love for it. I still enjoyed how Imperfect Cell hummed his own theme a little.

The only hate accepted is GT, cuz GT sucks.

(and Broly)

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Shindragon posted:

:stare:

Please tell me you are not kidding.

Also yes Kaiser is very much prefers the japanese score more so than the dub, but hey they showed some love for it. I still enjoyed how Imperfect Cell hummed his own theme a little.

The only hate accepted is GT, cuz GT sucks.

(and Broly)

Dameon Clarke voices both Cell and Handsome Jack, yeah

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
What was bad about the episode

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
I'm a little disappointed we still didn't get Roided Trunks

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Kaiser mentions in the latest Episode Breakdown that he grew up with the Japanese version and doesn't particularly care what people like. Specifically it means that he favours the Japanese score unless there's a good reason not to.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Cell is the best.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Kaiser mentions in the latest Episode Breakdown that he grew up with the Japanese version and doesn't particularly care what people like. Specifically it means that he favours the Japanese score unless there's a good reason not to.

If he doesn't use the English Gohan SSJ2 theme I riot

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I like the Final Flash scene because it's one of the fairly few Jobbing scenes that manages to make the character doing the jobbing feel powerful and the villain's triumph feel meaningful for at least a little bit. The Final Flash gets more buildup than almost any other attack in the entire franchise, and the follow-through looks and feels really good, and having Cell himself briefly lose his composure at the last second really helps lend it some legitimacy.

I mean, it doesn't last for long because any savvy viewer knows that there's no way in hell Vegeta's winning this thing, and it should be obvious the instant they show Cell missing an arm what's going to happen, but as jobbing scenes go, they really make you believe for a second there.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I think the Final Flash scene could've been a bit longer but yeah, really like that they used the Falconer score for that one. Still refuse to believe there's a version of the show without it, really, and I already watched most of Kai.

Cell's line about waiting for Goku was pretty brutal.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Okay the dub track is good and all but

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=px8aiW3GEME

come on.

Anyway good ep, Final Flash scene was great, Krillin calling Trunks out good too.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
I knew an "OH poo poo" joke was coming, but the abruptness of it still made me laugh.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

StrifeHira posted:

Okay the dub track is good and all but

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=px8aiW3GEME

come on.

Anyway good ep, Final Flash scene was great, Krillin calling Trunks out good too.

not even the cha-la man can make the difference

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

TheKingofSprings posted:

They won't. It wouldn't even fit the series tonally.
The only exceptions they've made were this episode and that one time they used the US Cell theme, and only because those are pretty much a perfect 10 in terms of being iconic for western fans.
I could see them maybe letting the SSJ3 theme in too. Otherwise, don't expect any more Falconer music.

On a related note, that internal monologue the dub added in for Gohan before he went SSJ2 is the dumbest poo poo ever and is one of the worst examples I've seen of the whole "don't let a single moment pass without dialogue" attitude that english dubs had back then.

the culminator
Oct 29, 2012
There were so many great and terrible decisions made with the dub in the Cell saga. Using Vegeta's theme for the final moments of the kamehameha struggle was loving perfect and then they have to ruin it by abruptly switching to Ginyu's theme

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Ginyu's theme is cool though. Why wouldn't you be using it all the time?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Ginyu Force Rules. Ginyu Force Rules. Ginyu Force Rules! GINYU FORCE RULES!!

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Spiritus Nox posted:

I like the Final Flash scene because it's one of the fairly few Jobbing scenes that manages to make the character doing the jobbing feel powerful and the villain's triumph feel meaningful for at least a little bit. The Final Flash gets more buildup than almost any other attack in the entire franchise, and the follow-through looks and feels really good, and having Cell himself briefly lose his composure at the last second really helps lend it some legitimacy.

I mean, it doesn't last for long because any savvy viewer knows that there's no way in hell Vegeta's winning this thing, and it should be obvious the instant they show Cell missing an arm what's going to happen, but as jobbing scenes go, they really make you believe for a second there.

This. We knew he would regenerate, but the attack looks powerful and Cell actually has an "oh poo poo" look for a second. It's a really great jobbing scene establishing the enemy is stronger, but not that much stronger than the others that he's insurmountable for everyone not Goku. He's more of a threat due to having the best qualities of everyone.

I'm still amazed at how good some of the TFS voice actors are.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Great episode. I laughed at the jokes.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

I actually like how they've established why Krillen is so terrified. He is constantly getting the poo poo kicked out of him by people stronger than him but he's terrified of Perfect Cell because he was holding back.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Archenteron posted:

I knew an "OH poo poo" joke was coming, but the abruptness of it still made me laugh.

Is it really a joke if he just says it?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Namtab posted:

Is it really a joke if he just says it?

This is the joke he's referring to.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZg_fRvqEks&t=69s

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
More specifically it's a reference to this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v55t5jnhz5s

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Momomo posted:

More specifically it's a reference to this

Did you actually watch the video from the timestamp or just post your video thinking it be more correct or something?

Am I missing something?

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Yorkshire Tea posted:

He seems like a nice enough guy, but the fact that he goes out of his way to use the Japanese pronunciations of names when we have an accepted English dub pronunciation and they're basing their series on the English dub irritates me for some reason. It's like that guy who gets really into the Italian pronunciation of foods at Olive Garden.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Testekill posted:

I actually like how they've established why Krillen is so terrified. He is constantly getting the poo poo kicked out of him by people stronger than him but he's terrified of Perfect Cell because he was holding back.

It should be noted that Krillin being able to percieve when people are holding back is something that happens in the actual series at this point too, up to calling Trunks out on it. I like the explanation though.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Mordaedil posted:

Did you actually watch the video from the timestamp or just post your video thinking it be more correct or something?

Am I missing something?

(If I recall correctly) the American version is an edit and the line is only actually said in the German dub, it's just such a funny and fitting line for that scene that it basically became fan-canon, leading to it being worked back into the US dub

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

New Leaf posted:

He seems like a nice enough guy, but the fact that he goes out of his way to use the Japanese pronunciations of names when we have an accepted English dub pronunciation and they're basing their series on the English dub irritates me for some reason.

I consider this a meta-joke on the greater DBZ community.

• Locked thread