Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

gtrmp posted:

Never Forget

Ok if they bring this back I am with it 100%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Kellsterik posted:

So, what does the Shadow look like in and around the Pentagon? I'm working on a Demon one-shot that's going to involve breaking in via Rip the Gates, and I want ideas for striking images and unsettling spirits to harry the PCs.

Shadows and secrets. This is a battleground for spirits of secrecy, who hide everything, and spirits of truth, that reveal it all. Intelligence agencies in general are built around this contradictory pair of urges, and I imagine the Pentagon is an ecosystem of constant battle between the secret and the revealed. Plus also the emotions associated with the people in it a lot - fear, anger, betrayal, patriotism...

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Doodmons posted:

What in the name of loving christ is that

A dark, serious, mature, and intense examination of your humanity and the nature of reality, not some baby d&d game like those losers in sweatpants play.

edit: I own it, and it's very useful for playing Mage without flipping through the badly indexed book

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

MalcolmSheppard posted:

The original World of Darkness lines were released under market conditions that could never be matched by Chronicles of Darkness, even when it was NWoD. CofD/NWoD was released during a period of collapse for the TTRPG industry triggered by D&D 3.5 and the D20 glut. It's not an insult to say it's less popular. WW could have released metaplot-reset versions of the WoD lines or new editions or whatever and they wouldn't have done any better. But deserved or not, that difference in popularity does impact the ability to spin it off, simply because fewer people know of one than the other.

I'm more inclined to blame the ttrpg collapse on the rise of graphical MMOs culminating with World of Warcraft rather than any affect D&D had. Really there were D&D only players and players who wanted to play anything but.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Gilok posted:

Ok if they bring this back I am with it 100%

I'm the guy wearing sunglasses and what appears to be the curtains from a children's dentist's office.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Kellsterik posted:

So, what does the Shadow look like in and around the Pentagon? I'm working on a Demon one-shot that's going to involve breaking in via Rip the Gates, and I want ideas for striking images and unsettling spirits to harry the PCs.

Enormous shields and swords and great, churning war-spirits. Embers in the breeze, one-eyed spirits of vengeance, along the western wall. A titanic labyrinth of bureaucracy and paperwork. The occasional wizard scurrying through on weird secret business, checking behind themselves like nervous rats or maybe occupying soldiers. Odd churning train-spirits snaking through its guts, containing the odd courts of hunger and commerce. Wounded national pride and nervous masculinity stalk the halls, quick to feast upon scuttling secrecies.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Mendrian posted:

I'm the guy wearing sunglasses and what appears to be the curtains from a children's dentist's office.

I'm the rifle that shoots by itself.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Gilok posted:

I'm confident that video game wise, Paradox is going to ignore everything but Vampire for years. It's pretty clear from the way the guy is talking that Vampire is what he's interested in and I don't think we're going to see cool Werewolf games any time soon. We will never see games for anything past Mage. I doubt this dude even knows Orpheus exists.

As for tabletop games, I cannot wait to see how intensely racist and weirdly nationalist this stuff gets.

I think you're bang on re: Paradox and Vampire. To most people who aren't huge gamer nerds Vampire is the bit of the WoD with the most exposure. It got the video game (Hunter had one too but no one cares about it), it got the TV show (that no one cared about but hey), it was going to be the focus of the cancelled MMO, Vampire LARPs are the most well known of the bunch, etc.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Mors Rattus posted:

Shadows and secrets. This is a battleground for spirits of secrecy, who hide everything, and spirits of truth, that reveal it all. Intelligence agencies in general are built around this contradictory pair of urges, and I imagine the Pentagon is an ecosystem of constant battle between the secret and the revealed. Plus also the emotions associated with the people in it a lot - fear, anger, betrayal, patriotism...
Giant red/white/blue eagle with actual stars for eyes. Possibly with drone parts for feathers/claws.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Luminous Obscurity posted:

Has Europe's gaming community been having the same scale of conversation about racism/sexism that we've been having over here?

From personal experience, I've talked with a few Masquerade-fans whose attitude towards the whole thing "oh gods Vampire was so incredibly loving racist it's the single worst thing about the entire game", and a few vampire fans who gave off the attitude of "portraying the Roma vampire-clan as a bunch of begging welfare-queens is just harmless fun!" (because he wrote a con module where the local Ravnos Primogen was a welfare queen who begged for money outside the welfare office).

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'd either go with the giant star-spangled Wyrm-hole or use it as the site of an entombed Earthbound.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Paradox should just give us Vampire Crusader Kings and call it a day, really.

EDIT: Somebody could even make an nWoD mod for it!

Empress Theonora fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Feb 16, 2016

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
To be honest if I was going to explore the Shadow of a place in Washington, I would start with the Smithsonian. Imagine the terrible keening wail coming from the womb-bay of the Enola Gay at Air N Space. Or the terrible battles reenacted at the Museum of the Native Americans. Imagine the pilgrimages the Pure might make to the Museum of Natural History in search of the ur-beasts of hunts long past. No doubt a place like the Pentagon is ruthlessly patrolled by the Adamantine Arrow, or the Praetorian Ministry of War, or the Pure, or Task Force: VALKYRIE or all four at once. In the spirit of Washington, they all know each other and spend most of their time coldly politicking around each other in between spats of horrific violence that erupt in the suburbs where they all actually live.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

To be honest if I was going to explore the Shadow of a place in Washington, I would start with the Smithsonian. Imagine the terrible keening wail coming from the womb-bay of the Enola Gay at Air N Space. Or the terrible battles reenacted at the Museum of the Native Americans. Imagine the pilgrimages the Pure might make to the Museum of Natural History in search of the ur-beasts of hunts long past. No doubt a place like the Pentagon is ruthlessly patrolled by the Adamantine Arrow, or the Praetorian Ministry of War, or the Pure, or Task Force: VALKYRIE or all four at once. In the spirit of Washington, they all know each other and spend most of their time coldly politicking around each other in between spats of horrific violence that erupt in the suburbs where they all actually live.

One time I was in a Hunter game set in DC and a wizard used time magic to bring a dinosaur back to life from its skeleton.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Hmm... no, I'm pretty sure Time magic is for doubling the effective value of your mage armor.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Attorney at Funk posted:

One time I was in a Hunter game set in DC and a wizard used time magic to bring a dinosaur back to life from its skeleton.
I did something like that in an absolutely bonkers mage game, using Matter+Space and then my Bokor second attainment.

Fear my zombie T-Rex that doesn't cause paradox/disbelief!

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Attorney at Funk posted:

Uhh...

Uhhhhhhhhh

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

gtrmp posted:

Never Forget

Yes, this is exactly what I want. It's pure 90s. Shoot that raw Liefeldium straight into my veins. It's like tasting a Bill Clinton saxophone solo.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Doodmons posted:

What in the name of loving christ is that

the Mage 1e Storyteller's Screen, from the good old days when the Technocracy was literally The Matrix and your character sheet was airbrushed onto the side of a van

Zephirum
Jan 7, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Is there an oWoD flavor justification for a mage getting powers from being possessed? I have a character concept that's a katana-and-trenchcoat neckbeard who gets possessed by a dead samurai from the 1600s and now thinks he's an immortal warrior poet.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Zephirum posted:

Is there an oWoD flavor justification for a mage getting powers from being possessed? I have a character concept that's a katana-and-trenchcoat neckbeard who gets possessed by a dead samurai from the 1600s and now thinks he's an immortal warrior poet.

Every single katana and trenchcoat neckbeard thinks he's an immortal warrior poet.

EDIT: Take a Wraith ally or something.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Zephirum posted:

Something something Avatar. Your Avatar takes the form of an immortal warrior poet.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Appended to the end of the interview where the Lead Storyteller stuck his foot deep in his mouth.

quote:

[Edit 02.16. Elricsson has asked for these clarifications to be added to the article:]
Clarifications:
//
It wasn’t a painless choice revisiting the classic setting instead of NWoD. I’ve always supported that line, shamelessly ”been inspired” by it in other work and wanted it to make big waves, especially since I love it’s tonality and ground-up design thinking. But it’s hard to argue against CWoD as the setting that made the most dramatic cultural impact overall. The death of the publishing industry and lack of tabletop rpg-hype at that time combined with quite strong fan reactions never gave it a chance to go pervasive. It would have made perfect sense for us to cancel CofD entirely to direct all focus to WoD and avoid brand confusion as new players come in through future digital products. I’m happy we decided against it. Having CofD continue as it’s own thing is the closest we’ll get to confessing that it may be the better tabletop-only setting of the two. But to turn it into the centre for our transmedia-storytelling plans for the future would mean adding metaplot and characters to it, killing its identity completely. Made less sense than letting the beloved characters and myth of the dark original live on and evolve.

Love to see the "Lead Storyteller" make sure to mention his ability and motivations to destroy the entire NWoD root & branch along with the business plan of Onyx Path when he is at all feeling defensive about his choice of words.

He sounds like a guy that is used to making idle threats when stressed.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I'm still confused as to which characters from oWoD were especially iconic and beloved.

The metaplot stuff I get, but I was never deep enough in to know which of the named NPCs were cool.

I mean, besides the ULTIMATE BAD rear end.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
It sounds like he likes Chronicles more but has been persuaded that using it would be financially unsound. However, he is wrong that using it as a platform for video games would mean adding a metaplot to it, and also wrong that it doesn't already have characters.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Ferrinus posted:

It sounds like he likes Chronicles more but has been persuaded that using it would be financially unsound. However, he is wrong that using it as a platform for video games would mean adding a metaplot to it, and also wrong that it doesn't already have characters.

Yeah but they all suck except for the Unholy.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Kavak posted:

Count Fuckin' Dracula, my friend.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Mors Rattus posted:

I'm still confused as to which characters from oWoD were especially iconic and beloved.

The metaplot stuff I get, but I was never deep enough in to know which of the named NPCs were cool.

I mean, besides the ULTIMATE BAD rear end.

Theo Bell was alright after a couple of authors had a crack at him. Victoria Ash apparently was beloved but loving annoyed me to no end except in the Victorian Age novels, which were probably the best Vampire-birthed novels period.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Not strictly oWoD but Divis Mal sticks with me. Then again, Paradox is probably not interested in toy sales.

I hope I referenced that right, it's been so long

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Loomer posted:

Theo Bell was alright after a couple of authors had a crack at him. Victoria Ash apparently was beloved but loving annoyed me to no end except in the Victorian Age novels, which were probably the best Vampire-birthed novels period.

I'm sure that Lucita had her fans, even though (or maybe specifically because) she was the blandest Mary Sue character in the entire setting, which is certainly saying something.

Although the version of her in the Dark Ages books was at least bearable, in that she actually had personality traits other than "is a stone cold badass".

Cabbit posted:

Not strictly oWoD but Divis Mal sticks with me. Then again, Paradox is probably not interested in toy sales.

Onyx Path bought the Aberrant/Trinity IP outright, so he isn't even a White Wolf character any more.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
While it's true that the oWoD has plenty of great characters, it also has a poo poo-ton of terrible ones and I can easily think of as many, if not more, great characters from the nWoD.

They said they'd love to have a TV show at one point. Well, the Chicago setting for Requiem would make a killer tv show, and they already have a season or two of material, easy, by using the novels and Intro Fictions. I'll take Maxwell "Eddie Murphy" Clarke over Theo Bell any day, broken V:tES card or no.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Kavak posted:

There are in fact tons of great characters and I don't even need to lean on Hunger Like Fire or something to make that claim.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Ferrinus posted:

There are in fact tons of great characters and I don't even need to lean on Hunger Like Fire or something to make that claim.

Who's your favorite nWoD character and why?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Ferrinus posted:

You're right, but A Hunger Like Fire is also good.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Cabbit posted:

Did he stick with you by being a lovely 90s Metaplot NPC? Because that's how I'll always remember him.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Attorney at Funk posted:

Vincent Moon, eccentric pulp novelist, noted owner of fuzzy slippers, weirdo British occultist with a sense of fashion from 1947 and prophetic vampire cult master.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

The Brand Architect is broadly correct (as in, I get what he's attempting to say, even if the specifics of the metaplot comment is stupid and the characters part actually false) from his perspective as "guy trying to explain a huge transmedia push and the giant many-limbed beast we intend to yoke and ride to Moneytown" and in fact sounds exactly like most product evangelists / corporate brand advocates when they start talking about integrating social media into a campaign to sell things like shoes or albums or profitable IPs like superhero anything.

The only problem is, he is saying this about an industry where the demonstrably most profitable thing you can do is mulch the books for confetti and then license a decent game or terrible-but-they-paid-us-cash-money-for-the-names movie/tv show every once in awhile, instead of something that already has fingers in every cash-generating pie. Which is wrong, and bad, for the hobby and for us hobbyists, but the thing that sticks out to me the most is, I think it's this guy's job to try to make money? And he's setting sail across the ocean on a viking funeral barge already fit to be a pyre.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
:siren: Changeling 2E Previewbomb! :siren:

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
As long as OPP can continue to do their thing with CoD, Paradox can ride oWoD off into a blackhole never to be seen again for all I care. Doubly so if they stick with the old system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Attorney at Funk posted:

I really like the Chevalier de Thélème. A nice guy doing his best despite the world being terrible and his demonic mom routinely ruining his life. Always a gentleman too.