Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Tomino is really good at comedy. It gets overlooked a lot but the dude can be funny as hell.

Yeah! I think over the years I've realized I tend to like his lighthearted stuff way more than his darker, more serious shows.

NotALizardman posted:

Xabungle is funny as hell and more people should watch it!

It's a great show and it has one of my favorite Tomino endings. It's just the perfect way to send off that sort of show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

MonsieurChoc posted:

Nah, he'd have started his own Rau Faction to fight another civil war in OZ/Romefeller and then done the same speech he did to Kira to Heero, except Heero would have shot back and it would have been beautiful.

Edit: Listen to his words (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOpN1r-C_CM, and don't watch the video, it's the most horrendous thing I've ever seen) and then imagine a three-way battle between him, Heero and crazy Zechs. :allears:
181 seconds of scenery chewing. :allears:

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!
I'm down for funny Tomino, I like his other comedic works, I just don't think that ZZ is funny at all.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Srice posted:

Yeah! I think over the years I've realized I tend to like his lighthearted stuff way more than his darker, more serious shows.

:same:

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I find Tomino takes the Darkness too far rather than that he is good at comedy. It's not that he is bad at comedy, contrasted things like Zeta, it had no where to go but up.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think part of why I like original Gundam is that it CAN be funny. It isn't like laugh-a-minute but it absolutely has a sense of humor that isn't as present in other shows (or it gets a lot darker like V Gundam.)

That's one of the things I really liked about The Origin too actually. It wasn't afraid to be silly from time to time which (while I know it bothers some people) really worked for me.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Tomino is good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7qWLi2EWL0

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

oohhboy posted:

I find Tomino takes the Darkness too far rather than that he is good at comedy. It's not that he is bad at comedy, contrasted things like Zeta, it had no where to go but up.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

please do not trigger oohhboy

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

he's good at weaving in funny parts.

i think silly stuff only bothers most people when mood whiplash occurs. I need to read the rest of the origin. I like the part where Revil starts to give a speech and is bowled over by a squad of children.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

oohhboy posted:

I've no idea what you're tying to say here man.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You guys worship Tomino too much.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

i offer a blood sacrifice to the great gundam man, so that he might deliver unto me more blessed cartoons

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

oohhboy posted:

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

oohhboy posted:

I've only watched like two and a quarter Tomino shows.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Chuchummy owns. Best goldfish.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

oohhboy posted:

Nah. I'm pretty cool on Dunbine and Brain Power'd and I'm probably the least-positive poster in this thread about Turn-A who doesn't actively dislike it. I actively dislike V Gundam and good chunks of ZZ. Tomino's still good even with his crappy moments.

Edit: That said my favorite non-Tomino Gundam work is probably King Gainer, followed by Zambot and Xabungle, and I honestly like them more than most of his Gundam work.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I am talking about the guys who got angryannoyed when I said they had a tendency to oversell the hell out of (Everything)Turn A which they did.

Quite a few of the regular of the "Defend Tomino to the death" guys have shown up. Look what 2 1/2 sentences got me. Next thing we know the thread gets frozen again. Fanboys are the worse.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Edit: That said my favorite non-Tomino Gundam work is probably King Gainer
same

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

oohhboy posted:

I am talking about the guys who got angryannoyed when I said they had a tendency to oversell the hell out of (Everything)Turn A which they did.

Quite a few of the regular of the "Defend Tomino to the death" guys have shown up. Look what 2 1/2 sentences got me. Next thing we know the thread gets frozen again. Fanboys are the worse.

To be honest I think it's less what you're saying and more how you're saying it. Even a comment like "Fanboys are the worst" kind of sets a negative tone for the conversation.

Like I've been critical in Gundam threads too and I think I've even made more or less the same point about Turn A, and there's never been any drama as a result or anything.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

oohhboy posted:

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

oohhboy posted:

I think you're overreacting a bit to people trying to discuss things with you, and your caustic rhetoric really doesn't help.

e: like c'mon dude, you called boom a liar for having a different opinion on Reconguista.

Motto fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Feb 17, 2016

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

oohhboy posted:

Is there a particular reason you've dedicated yourself to inventing fights to pick.

I think you'll find far less people care about your opinion on Tomino than they do the way you tear into anyone who doesn't share your opinion.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
oohhboy has a great username

cause I say it everytime he posts

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

GulagDolls posted:

he's good at weaving in funny parts.

i think silly stuff only bothers most people when mood whiplash occurs. I need to read the rest of the origin. I like the part where Revil starts to give a speech and is bowled over by a squad of children.

It was even better than that, if I remember right. He ducked the first couple kids coming at him, didn't lose his composure...

Then he got bowled over by a squad of children.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Raxivace posted:

To be honest I think it's less what you're saying and more how you're saying it. Even a comment like "Fanboys are the worst" kind of sets a negative tone for the conversation.

Like I've been critical in Gundam threads too and I think I've even made more or less the same point about Turn A, and there's never been any drama as a result or anything.

Talking about the negative of something is always going to make you negative without twisting language into really unnatural ways you might only find in parodies of corporate power meetings, even then you are going to use negative wording some where. Fanboys are the worse = Fanboys are everything not good = Fanboys make things awkward = Fanboys are not pleasing = Fanboys don't do it favours. Try doing that to entire paragraphs. You are just better off stating it rather than sugar coat it if you are going to post it. Fanboys are the worse regardless of where you find them.

Bad Seafood posted:

Is there a particular reason you've dedicated yourself to inventing fights to pick.

I think you'll find far less people care about your opinion on Tomino than they do the way you tear into anyone who doesn't share your opinion.

oohhboy posted:

Look where this got me. At worse it is a neutral opinion. Stating something I have observed. Nothing caustic about it.

Motto posted:

I think you're overreacting a bit to people trying to discuss things with you, and your caustic rhetoric really doesn't help.

e: like c'mon dude, you called boom a liar for having a different opinion on Reconguista.

I said Utter Lies. I did factually back that opinion by looking up the collective response of thousands of different people, that said that post was caustic, both intentionally and unintentionally so. I stand by the content of that post, but not the messaging. For that I apologize.

It doesn't help when the default response is "Pay more attention" and more "Pay more attention". It does nothing to explain or alleviate the problem and quite frankly, a terrible reply as it insinuates the person in question has a perception problem. When you "Git Gud" and pay level 9000 attention or re-watch sections to confirm things, it makes matters worse, you have nowhere to go other than "This sucks". When asked about about something concrete in the show like where are the peace talks, there isn't a useful reply, something their section on their defence of the show completely relied on.

Even when others come to same "This sucks/meh/what?" point, you're collectively too busy brushing them aside to wait for the next sucker instead of giving a more even and real response. I probably would have had a better response to Reconguista if people were a lot more upfront with the issues I came up with instead of "Pay more attention" and "it's really good! You're just not seeing it!".

The discussions on GSD were far more honest and backed up by evidence. I think I summed it up pretty well when I said you guys worship Tomino too much.

Shinjobi posted:

oohhboy has a great username

cause I say it everytime he posts

drat straight.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

one person quoted your post and posted an image of an anime girl sticking her tongue out. and i think the majority of people here had no idea what you were trying to say in general. i can't parse the darkness post at all.

chiasaur11 posted:

It was even better than that, if I remember right. He ducked the first couple kids coming at him, didn't lose his composure...

Then he got bowled over by a squad of children.

also a bunch of officers dive in front of him to try to shield him from flying children, only to make him stumble into a new position, where haro pegs him in the face

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GulagDolls posted:

one person quoted your post and posted an image of an anime girl sticking her tongue out. and i think the majority of people here had no idea what you were trying to say in general. i can't parse the darkness post at all.

I was not being totally positive about Tomino, hence gif.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

GulagDolls posted:

i offer a blood sacrifice to the great gundam man, so that he might deliver unto me more blessed cartoons

See, there's your problem. You gotta nuke an MG kit of one of his existing series in the microwave to appease Tomino and receive the boon of a new show.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
how come everyone who can't help but share how much they hate reconguista turn out to be weirdos lol

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I'm just posting examples of well done humor in Tomino shows

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

boom boom boom posted:

I'm just posting examples of well done humor in Tomino shows

I love Turn A.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Loran's reaction is me reading this thread

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:

If only I knew how to make gifs easily

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

make webms instead!

https://jii.moe/NJoB4Gp5l.webm

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Alright guys let's not turn this into a place into a sideshow.

oohhboy posted:

Look where this got me. At worse it is a neutral opinion. Stating something I have observed. Nothing caustic about it.
Your initial opinion was neutral, yes - if weird to parse - but upon being asked to clarify you immediately jumped to, "You guys worship Tomino too much," after which you proceeded to paint your detractors in broad, unflattering strokes apropos of nothing besides Boom Boom being Boom Boom. I can't say I see how a bunch of people advocating/defending Tomino's chops specifically as a comedy writer somehow translates into them blindly standing vigil in his hallowed name, especially when many of these same posters are critical of him in other areas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I like this thread, please don't get it closed again guys. :v: