Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
The Bush dropout market has no idea what to do with itself. The latest CNN poll shows Bush at 1% in Nevada though so I'm guessing PI thinks a poor showing in SC means Bush is done for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Real Paddy
Aug 21, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

nachos posted:

The Bush dropout market has no idea what to do with itself. The latest CNN poll shows Bush at 1% in Nevada though so I'm guessing PI thinks a poor showing in SC means Bush is done for.

I think he's done for, but the number seems high in respect to the timing. I guess maybe he'll act out of concern for his dignity, but he hasn't so far.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Platystemon posted:

Thoughts on why Will the Senate vote on any SCOTUS nominee before Obama leaves office? averages 50˘ (albeit with ±10˘ bid–ask spread)?

Not letting any nominees out of committee has terrible optics. The Senate doesn’t have to approve them, they can just put on a show of “look at these losers Obama is sending us”.

They can't let them out of committee or else they're likely to be voted in. Not only are there still a decent enough amount of old school Republicans who actually take their job seriously, the Republicans in the swing states up for reelection can't take the hit of voting no.

Straight up stonewalling from the start and refusing to even hold hearings is the least bad option for them. If they do hold hearings they have to find something wrong with the nominee other than being covered in Obama cooties. If the nominee actually makes it out of the Judiciary Committee then they start off at 48 yes votes minimum, since at least 2 Republicans would have to vote yes on sending them out of committee. That means Democrats/The Administration just have to whisper "November 8th" in the ear of Kirk and Johnson to get to 50 which is a win thanks to Diamond Joe.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Platystemon posted:

Thoughts on why Will the Senate vote on any SCOTUS nominee before Obama leaves office? averages 50˘ (albeit with ±10˘ bid–ask spread)?

Not letting any nominees out of committee has terrible optics. The Senate doesn’t have to approve them, they can just put on a show of “look at these losers Obama is sending us”.

Even if they get out of committee they can be filibustered.

railroad terror
Jul 2, 2007

choo choo
The only SCOTUS market I'd be comfortable betting on right now is YES on the Senate voting (not confirming) on the appointee, and maybe a YES on the next nominee being a woman. The one thing you can definitely count on is a severe market overreaction to whoever Obama does nominate. That's where you can make some money on these markets.

All my money right now is tied up in John Kasich not getting 2nd place in South Carolina, and I refuse to sell for less than 99 cents.

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin
RE: Nevada
Learned a valuable lesson this morning --- don't put too much stock in old polls.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

railroad terror posted:

All my money right now is tied up in John Kasich not getting 2nd place in South Carolina, and I refuse to sell for less than 99 cents.

Isn't your cost basis 86 and you have several hundred dollars tied up and you can sell it today for 98? He probably won't get 2nd, but this type of reasoning is how people get wiped out.

railroad terror
Jul 2, 2007

choo choo

Zeta Taskforce posted:

Isn't your cost basis 86 and you have several hundred dollars tied up and you can sell it today for 98? He probably won't get 2nd, but this type of reasoning is how people get wiped out.

You're absolutely right ---plus, there's another guy offering 5000+ shares above me for 99 already. Might take a few days to actually unload this stuff. I'm better off just taking the 98.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Letting out a brief lol for those who assumed Clinton was a lock in Nevada. :)

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

The Real Paddy posted:

Trump Poll 35% up 27 today, might cash out and put into Cruz 2nd in SC.

YES for Bush dropout before Super Tuesday seems hilariously overpriced to me at 69 cents.

Grabbed Rubio at 2nd in SC. I think he can eek out a win over Cruz if his momentum continues and he doesn't have any major cockups.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Vox Nihili posted:

Letting out a brief lol for those who assumed Clinton was a lock in Nevada. :)

I haven't been following this: did we finally get some decent polling data?

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich
I really thought the debate would hurt Trump, looks like basically nothing changed.

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin

Necc0 posted:

I haven't been following this: did we finally get some decent polling data?
The TargetPoint poll from last week was a tie and the CNN/ORC from today is Clinton +1 which is obviously within MOE, so it's gonna come down to caucus-day turnout.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

TROIKA CURES GREEK posted:

I really thought the debate would hurt Trump, looks like basically nothing changed.

Nothing will hurt Trump until Rubio/Kasich/Jeb consolidate or until the general election. It's pretty clear by now that his support is firmly locked in and he's bulletproof in a 5-way race.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Ahh hell. I never thought we'd see Trump polling at nearly 40% nationally so soon. I'm suddenly in a hole with a fair bit of trump above 35% NO shares. I never shoulda doubted my boy..

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin

nachos posted:

Nothing will hurt Trump until Rubio/Kasich/Jeb consolidate or until the general election. It's pretty clear by now that his support is firmly locked in and he's bulletproof in a 5-way race.
10% of all my profits go to Right to Rise. :v:

Corrupt Politician
Aug 8, 2007
How much will Cruz's organization help him in SC? Also, why is Rubio gaining on him so quickly? I would have thought that Rubio had thoroughly been branded with the "Establishment Robot" label by now.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Just got out of the trump poll market w/ some decent losses. Learned two things:

1) DON'T bet against trump you fool!
2) DON'T bet on polls!!!!!!!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Corrupt Politician posted:

How much will Cruz's organization help him in SC? Also, why is Rubio gaining on him so quickly? I would have thought that Rubio had thoroughly been branded with the "Establishment Robot" label by now.

That would be a good thing for Rubio, he just might be getting the consolidation he needs

railroad terror
Jul 2, 2007

choo choo

Corrupt Politician posted:

Cruz has invested a lot in SC -- how his machine helps him (or doesn't do poo poo) will be pretty indicative of Super Tuesday results for him in like-minded states.

I personally think Rubio is gaining on him because primary voters have short memories, support is soft and fluid during primaries, and Cruz has taken an absolute beating on several fronts. Nobody likes him outside his base. Meanwhile, Rubio, despite his hilarious robot gaffe, hasn't really screwed anything else up and isn't really in a different place than he was a week or two weeks ago.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

If someone told me a few months ago that the republican race would be a blowout and the Dem race would be a dead heat I would have called them insane.

If all the (relatively) naive Sanders fans who bet up his numbers across the board end up going to this bank it'll be hilarious.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Vox Nihili posted:

If someone told me a few months ago that the republican race would be a blowout and the Dem race would be a dead heat I would have called them insane.

If all the (relatively) naive Sanders fans who bet up his numbers across the board end up going to this bank it'll be hilarious.

I saw a guy who said he max'ed out on Bernie YES in South Carolina so maybe not all of them are going to the bank.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I divested myself from Bernie after Iowa on the grounds that’s he’d only go up in the immediate future (lead‐up to NH, basking in NH glory).

I never bought back in.

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin

Platystemon posted:

I divested myself from Bernie after Iowa on the grounds that’s he’d only go up in the immediate future (lead‐up to NH, basking in NH glory).

I never bought back in.
Same. If you scroll down My Shares page the Bernie NOs create a cool zeotrope effect.

railroad terror
Jul 2, 2007

choo choo
The NV caucus market should be fun on Saturday.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

railroad terror posted:

The NV caucus market should be fun on Saturday.

I'm not betting money anymore but I'm calling a 53-46 win for Sanders.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Protip: the big Vegas unions aren't endorsing because they support Sanders but don't know if he can actually win.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I wonder if Sanders can still get momentum in the southern states just in time for Super Tuesday?

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Everyone post your hot picks....I need to make back my losses from blindly following arkane! (which is usually a sound strategy) ((and could still turn out to be good but I panicked))

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

a cop posted:

Everyone post your hot picks....I need to make back my losses from blindly following arkane! (which is usually a sound strategy) ((and could still turn out to be good but I panicked))

TRUMP.INDY.2016 NO at .80 seems like an easy flip for a few bucks after he wins SC

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Rubio coming in a strong second would be very good, for me.

railroad terror
Jul 2, 2007

choo choo

Arkane posted:

I agree

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

I paid the same average, but only picked up 132 shares. I should have grabbed more after Haley endorsed, even if just to flip them.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Arkane posted:

Oh no, I'm opposite Arkane :ohdear:

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

a cop posted:

Oklahoma. Bet on Bernie in Oklahoma.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
I have a small (for me, large for most of you) bet on SC.Cruz.2nd and think I'm on the right side, but the odds have become more fair. At this point I think the best value is to take anything above 5% on a Trump SC win although it should be closer than it appears.

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin

G-Hawk posted:

Oklahoma. Bet on Bernie in Oklahoma.
Woah there. Why? Looks like a consistent Clinton lead there since time immemorial.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Peachstapler posted:

Woah there. Why? Looks like a consistent Clinton lead there since time immemorial.

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/...pport.html#more

clinton 46 bernie 44 (and the crosstabs look even better for Bernie, plus the poll probably isn't white enough)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2016/02/17/why-oklahoma-could-be-a-super-tuesday-surprise-for-sanders/

I got in earlier at 23 cents but its still way undervalued, it should be around 50/50 if not leaning Bernie

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Adar posted:

I have a small (for me, large for most of you) bet on SC.Cruz.2nd and think I'm on the right side, but the odds have become more fair. At this point I think the best value is to take anything above 5% on a Trump SC win although it should be closer than it appears.

I just bought some at 40 cents. First time I bought Cruz in that market. Not enough to destroy me if it doesn't happen. The wind does seem to be at Rubio's back but wouldn't call him a favorite yet. Cruz has been organizing here for months and there are lots of evangelicals. I think he pulls this one out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

evilweasel posted:

Where did you see that Obama would make a choice that quickly? Historically it takes a few weeks to do the really in-depth review of candidates to find any skeletons in the closet.

Fever dream, I guess! I swear I read a BBC report that said exactly that. I remember where I was when I read it and everything. I can't find it now and they have better ethics than to just delete something that turned out not to be true.

• Locked thread