Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Doctor_Acula posted:

I have one of these. Well, mine is NFC. Right now it doesn't do anything rad (I think it links to a YouTube video of the theme to Space Jam), but when my better half and I buy a home I plan on putting in one of those NFC locks so I don't need a key.

So yes, both. Stupid and cool.

I also didn't install it myself like a lunatic.

:nono:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.

Zemyla posted:

I wouldn't think that while you're in horrible pain is the best time to go about the delicate business of cutting yourself open and then stitching it closed, you know, but suture self.

:golfclap:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I know that that's just an excuse for a pun, but that is literally exactly when those surgeries happen on TV. Oliver Queen is often digging projectiles out of his shoulder in that show, only a couple of hours after the fight is over.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Zemyla posted:

I wouldn't think that while you're in horrible pain is the best time to go about the delicate business of cutting yourself open and then stitching it closed, you know, but suture self.

There is no better time. If you are already in horrible pain your self-surgery attempts will only make the pain a little worse. You'd have to be crazy to be able to do that to yourself when you feel fine and everything is okay.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Angela Christine posted:

There is no better time. If you are already in horrible pain your self-surgery attempts will only make the pain a little worse. You'd have to be crazy to be able to do that to yourself when you feel fine and everything is okay.

I also always just assume right before that shot, offscreen, was a bigass needle full of morphine.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Or that's actually 50 cal tranq darts.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Rysithusiku posted:

I also always just assume right before that shot, offscreen, was a bigass needle full of morphine.

They actually reference that in Arrow when Felicity gets shot by the Clock King. While Felicity is having her back alley surgery (electing not to go to hospital partially because she wanted the same treatment as the rest of the team) They give her a painkiller to dull her shoulder. However Diggle admits to Ollie that he actually gave her a much more powerful drug than he told her they did, because he figured it would be cruel not to due to her having a much lower pain threshold due to her relatively easy upbringing.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

BioEnchanted posted:

They actually reference that in Arrow when Felicity gets shot by the Clock King. While Felicity is having her back alley surgery (electing not to go to hospital partially because she wanted the same treatment as the rest of the team) They give her a painkiller to dull her shoulder. However Diggle admits to Ollie that he actually gave her a much more powerful drug than he told her they did, because he figured it would be cruel not to due to her having a much lower pain threshold due to her relatively easy upbringing.

Oh yeah, I vaguely remember her being high as a kite.

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

Doctor_Acula posted:

I have one of these. Well, mine is NFC. Right now it doesn't do anything rad (I think it links to a YouTube video of the theme to Space Jam), but when my better half and I buy a home I plan on putting in one of those NFC locks so I don't need a key.

So yes, both. Stupid and cool.

I also didn't install it myself like a lunatic.

hope you have a plan for getting robbed since almost every 'smart' device on the market has garbage security, and that probably won't change for a long, long time

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

apparently you guys have never had to do some soldering in a very specifically appointed workshop.

No, but I've made a soldering iron out of a 12v battery before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVKvbrY5b3s

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Paying for overnight shipping from Amazon is cheaper than paying sales tax so price matching is basically always a waste.

Move to one of these cities and never pay for same-day shipping again!

LIFE HACKED!

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
I'm pretty sure self surgery has more to do with the woeful state of health care in America than whatever comic book thing you're talking about.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Sleeveless posted:

I'm pretty sure self surgery has more to do with the woeful state of health care in America than whatever comic book thing you're talking about.

If I have an ingrown toenail I can either live in stabbing agony, take a pliers and cleaver to my foot, or spend my grocery and rent money on a doctor. I can choose ANY of those. That's Freedom, baby!

:gop:

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Sleeveless posted:

I sliced my hand open doing something dumb with a wood chisel (only use tools for their intended uses #woundhax) years ago and didn't have insurance, so I got out the vodka and the sewing kit. Sure, it left a gnarly scar and has felt funny ever since, but I didn't have to surrender my firstborn to the hospital to have it patched up professionally! :911:

(don't loving suture yourselves, go to the hospital)

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I sliced my hand open doing something dumb with a wood chisel (only use tools for their intended uses #woundhax) years ago and didn't have insurance, so I got out the vodka and the sewing kit. Sure, it left a gnarly scar and has felt funny ever since, but I didn't have to surrender my firstborn to the hospital to have it patched up professionally! :911:

The only person I've ever known to have safely done self-surgery is a local veterinarian--she got a bad cut on her leg (I think she got kicked by a horse or something) so she just went down to her operating theater and cleaned up the wound and sutured it up. With sterile sutures. In a sterile operating theater. With decades of practice doing similar things on animals.

Lifehack: go into debt getting a DVM so that you can safely operate on yourself and not pay for a hospital visit!

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Lifehack: be a citizen of a sane country with health care

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

bunnyofdoom posted:

Lifehack: be a citizen of a sane country with health care

Then hope to gently caress your government don't want to loving break it up and sell it off :britain:

gently caress Jeremy Hunt, basically.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT
Pretty sure the reason movie characters stich themselves up is because they don't want to have to explain to the hospital, and then the police, why they got shot. Oliver Queen in Arrow is insanely rich anyway, it's not like he couldn't afford the bills.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

thespaceinvader posted:

gently caress Jeremy Hunt

He's my favourite Cockney rhyming slang.

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

Just reading about people performing surgery on themselves makes me lightheaded. There is no way I could do that.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Or, you slice your finger open, nick a vein, go to the ER to get it fixed, and the doctor totally fucks up the stitching so the wound buckles, the nerve damage is maximized, and it takes forever to heal, while getting infected and eventually starting to dehisce.

PROFESSIONAL AMERICAN HEALTHCARE EVERYBODY! THANKS DR. NICK! :911:

Sing like a girl
Aug 8, 2011

walrusman posted:

Life hack: live in a state with no sales tax.

On second thought, stay in your own state. Oregon sucks and is ugly.

Want to buy an item worth about $100-$200 online? Check Amazon.co.uk. Prices in the UK are adjusted for the ridiculous 20% sales tax, which you don't pay. You also don't pay sales tax on it in your state if the item is UNDER $200. This is the important part because anything over $200 triggers not only state import tax (equal to sales tax) plus a courier collection fee. Amazon's overseas shipping is also cheap, almost as fast as buying it from the .com site, and discounts might be available at the time that are not currently available on .com.

Example on an item I just saved $25 on:

Price on Amazon.com: $150 plus 6% Florida sales tax - $159
Price on UK Amazon: 100 UKP, but it was on a 20% off offer, so 80 UKP
Price without the VAT added (actual price I paid): 66 UKP

I forgot the shipping cost but I ended up paying $134 total, paid zero sales tax as it was under $200 and it got here in 4 days. I could have saved an additional $7 with slower shipping but we are going to be away during the time it probably would have been delivered so it wasn't worth the risk. It gives you all the costs including exchange rate and what will actually be charged to your credit card when you check out.

It might work on other Amazon European sites, but I already checked a few and they are not as likely to ship overseas as the UK site.

Beware of electrical items which will come with the wrong power supply. The item I bought was battery operated, an automated feeder for my cats. I end up doing this several times a year and saving quite a bit.

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

Doesn't the UK have a VAT instead of a sales tax?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

CommunistPancake posted:

Doesn't the UK have a VAT instead of a sales tax?

Yes, but it really doesn't differ in effect for the end consumer, just for the people in the production/retail chain.

Underwater Shoe
May 26, 2005

an informative notation for your appreciation

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

He's my favourite Cockney rhyming slang.

James Blunt must be over the moon about what has happened in the last 12 months

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Retro Access posted:

Want to buy an item worth about $100-$200 online? Check Amazon.co.uk. Prices in the UK are adjusted for the ridiculous 20% sales tax, which you don't pay. You also don't pay sales tax on it in your state if the item is UNDER $200. This is the important part because anything over $200 triggers not only state import tax (equal to sales tax) plus a courier collection fee. Amazon's overseas shipping is also cheap, almost as fast as buying it from the .com site, and discounts might be available at the time that are not currently available on .com.

I forgot the shipping cost but I ended up paying $134 total, paid zero sales tax as it was under $200 and it got here in 4 days. I could have saved an additional $7 with slower shipping but we are going to be away during the time it probably would have been delivered so it wasn't worth the risk. It gives you all the costs including exchange rate and what will actually be charged to your credit card when you check out.

It might work on other Amazon European sites, but I already checked a few and they are not as likely to ship overseas as the UK site.

Beware of electrical items which will come with the wrong power supply. The item I bought was battery operated, an automated feeder for my cats. I end up doing this several times a year and saving quite a bit.

Canada charges taxes and duties on everything over $20. :negative:

Weldon Pemberton
May 19, 2012

Not sure if it got posted but it seems that some lifehack websites are deliberately posting bad lifehacks to get more followers. This is a general article about teens making money on tumblr but here's the relevant bit:

quote:

I’d seen a few Lifehackable posts years ago and assumed they were satire. “Life hacks” are simple tips to make your life a bit better in the tiniest ways, the kind of tricks that are so obvious you can’t believe you weren’t already doing them—finding the best deals on eBay by searching for misspelled listings, keeping power cords neat with hair clips, making “time bomb soda” by freezing Mentos in ice cubes. (Applicability of the life hack often depends on one’s lifestyle.) Lilley and Greenfield had partnered with a guy they’d known for years, Tom, to run Lifehackable. Tom was not good at it. His life hacks were less hacks than poor life choices. In one notorious post, he suggested that you could make a “personal ice cream bowl” by cutting a pint container in half vertically. The post went viral when another user commented “OR YOU COULD JUST TAKE OFF THE loving LID YOU INBRED.”

The outrage clicks were so powerful, Lilley and Greenfield decided to experiment with “negative attention.” Haters are more loyal than fans, so they promoted the bad hacks. The worst hacks brought in thousands of followers, and that’s how Lifehackable built the bulk of its audience. “Tom knew what was happening, and so then he was more incentivized to actually not do his job right,” Lilley said. “And in sucking, he succeeded.”

I mean I suspected this, but it's nice to see it confirmed.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Do a lovely job to get more money! #HackHax

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Weldon Pemberton posted:

I mean I suspected this, but it's nice to see it confirmed.

There are people on salary doing this every day for various companies.

Remember that every time you see people "outraged" on social media about some product or marketing campaign, because the oh-so-mad people are probably not real :ssh:

Welcome to the new age!

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Warbird posted:

Do a lovely job to get more money! #HackHax

Well you know, if you fail hard enough it becomes a success.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Underwater Shoe posted:

James Blunt must be over the moon about what has happened in the last 12 months

Funny you should mention that.

https://twitter.com/jamesblunt/status/697784223688757248

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Use this One Weird Tip to get a judge to slam down maximum penalties for trying to gently caress with the system once he finds out you're not, in fact, bilingual!

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Use this One Weird Tip to get a judge to slam down maximum penalties for trying to gently caress with the system once he finds out you're not, in fact, bilingual!

Yes, for one thing they'll start sending you documents in the language you claim is your primary, so good luck with that.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
So use that as motivation to actually Duolingo every day.

Haxxxxxxxx

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Well you know, if you fail hard enough it becomes a success.

I'm a successful poster.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Retro Access posted:

Not sure how this even works. Especially with electronics. A lot of pricing here in the UK is done 1:1 USD:GBP exchange rate be damned.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
And like many Lifehacks, it'll end up being awful because US Customs is going to find out what you're doing and start hitting you with federal fees, and confiscating your poo poo.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

20% isn't very high for sales tax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sing like a girl
Aug 8, 2011

Horse Clocks posted:

Not sure how this even works. Especially with electronics. A lot of pricing here in the UK is done 1:1 USD:GBP exchange rate be damned.

This hasn't been true for a few years now, certainly when I moved to the USA I was less than impressed because I expected everything to be massively cheaper.

I looked up something expensive to check this out.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Apple-iPad-...+pro+space+grey

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-iPad-128GB-Wi-Fi-Space/dp/B0155OD1ME/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1455838781&sr=1-1&keywords=iPad+pro

The UK site is more expensive but not at a ratio of $1= £1

It works because when we import something from outside the EU, VAT is removed on checkout. So you automatically get 20% off, and if the item is already on a deal that the US site isn't offering at the time, you're almost guaranteed to save money.